Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does anyone else play in a 12-team standard auction league ($200) where RB values are just way, way over what sites like FantasyPros and ESPN project? Like I see the top RB being worth $70 on some of these lists and you need to pay $80-90 for the top-tier guys in my league. It’s been this way for years and I’m really not sure what we’re undervaluing that is causing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

poly and open-minded posted:

Fortunately both start at 6 AM

This is a crime

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Dynasty auctions sounds like hell.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, hell of a good time

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

illcendiary posted:

Does anyone else play in a 12-team standard auction league ($200) where RB values are just way, way over what sites like FantasyPros and ESPN project? Like I see the top RB being worth $70 on some of these lists and you need to pay $80-90 for the top-tier guys in my league. It’s been this way for years and I’m really not sure what we’re undervaluing that is causing this.

Probably guys in the WR and RB 15-30 range.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Dynasty auctions rule, and one of the most fun drafts I’ve ever done was a slow dynasty auction.

You place bids on players, which are won when there are no higher bids for a certain amount of time (12 or 24 hrs, can’t remember). You can even set bid thresholds for specific players that will auto up your bid if someone goes over you but still under your set threshold.

Pure crack.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

RCarr posted:

This is a crime

I forgot to mention one is Sat and one is Sun but man, it sometimes sucks to have friends in Asian time zones.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Quarterroys posted:

Dynasty auctions rule, and one of the most fun drafts I’ve ever done was a slow dynasty auction.

You place bids on players, which are won when there are no higher bids for a certain amount of time (12 or 24 hrs, can’t remember). You can even set bid thresholds for specific players that will auto up your bid if someone goes over you but still under your set threshold.

Pure crack.

Yeah that sounds like hell.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dynasty auctions are cool but a slow dynasty auction is something I’d rather die than attempt. gently caress that. Normal slow drafts are terrible enough as you sit there waiting 20+ hours for someone to take Kamara with the 3rd pick or whatever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My dynasty slow draft started Monday.

On Sunday the first guy selected Najee Harris

I know I've already complained about this in this thread and been told to set limits but I just want to reinforce how loving annoying that was

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
He spent a day trying to trade out of 1.01 after probably spending the last 2 weeks trying to trade out of 1.01 right?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Almost a week. Monday TO Sunday

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh my god kick him out of the league. He probably spent the previous weeks trying to trade the pick too.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

kiimo posted:

Almost a week. Monday TO Sunday

Is there no max time?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Whoreson Welles posted:

Is there no max time?

Yea seriously, you NEED a time limit in a slow draft.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Right next season is 12 hours, I listened to you guys. But I should mention this guy drafting first was no accident. He also had 6 QBs in a non-superflex dynasty league and won 2 games. I hate when people don't take a league seriously

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I put in a rule for my league that every inactive player on a starting roster is a $10 fee that gets added to the payout pot. Pretty much specifically to try to get one owner to pay attention and set a starting lineup every week.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Below I've listed league details, tried paring it down to deviations from Yahoo standard. Key differences seem to be points for completed passes, passing yards, half PPR, more points for team defenses, and IDPs. Looking for advice on how to adjust my rankings from typical standard or half-PPR lists to account for differences. Might just go with Footballguys or FantasyPros draft app to plug in scoring/roster. Drafting in 9th slot, based on mocks looking like I'll draft RBs and WRs in first five and wait for QB7-10.

Yahoo, 12 teams, 8 team playoffs weeks 15-17
Roster: QB, WR, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF, DB, DL, LB, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR, IR, IR, IR
Scoring:
OFFENSE
Completions 0.2
Passing Yards 25 yards per point; 1 points at 300 yards; 2 points at 350 yards; 2 points at 400 yards
Passing TDs 6
Ints -2
Rushing Yards 10 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 120 yards; 2 points at 140 yards
Rushing Touchdowns 6
Receptions 0.5
Receiving Yards 10 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 120 yards; 2 points at 140 yards
Receiving Touchdowns 6
Return Yards 25 yards per point; 1 points at 100 yards; 2 points at 125 yards; 2 points at 150 yards
Return TDs 8
2-Point Conversions 2
Fumbles -1
Fumbles Lost -1
Offensive Fumble Return TD 6

D/ST
Sack 2
Interception 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Touchdown 6
Safety 3
Block Kick 2
Extra Point Returned 2

IDPs
Tackle Solo 1
Sack 2
Interception 3
Fumble Force 2
Fumble Recovery 2
Defensive Touchdown 6
Safety 4
Pass Defended 1
Block Kick 3
Extra Point Returned 2

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A few notes:

• five IR slots is quite generous, but maybe smart in these covid times
  • if you can, instead of 25 yards per point, do 0.04 points per yard. It's really stupid to have your score drop by a whole point because a guy gets stat corrected from 75.1 yards to 74.9. Same thing with rushing 10y/pt, do 0.1pt/yard instead.
  • think about -2 INTs carefully. -1 and -2 are both very common, but at -2, a lot of marginal QBs become un-startable due to interception risk. -2 is OK of course, but don't just do it blindly is what I'm saying.
  • Check for combination IDP scoring that can be silly. For example, a strip sack counts as both a sack and forced fumble (at least it does in MFL)
  • I can't fathom why anyone would have D/STs in the same league as IDPs. The whole point of IDP is to not need to do D/ST any more, because D/ST is dumb. Also don't do kickers. Kickers are also dumb.
  • By your scoring, a player who fumbles (-1) and then recovers their own fumble (+2) earns you a net point. You may also be doing -2 actually for the fumble though, since you have -1 fumbles and -1 fumble lost. Make sure you wanted that overlap, if it exists.
  • In our league we bumped up tackle scoring and lowered some other IDP scoring, in order to keep them from being quite so swingy. There's a lot of IDP guys who will get 50 or 60 tackles on the year, and then three random weeks they'll get sacks. Do you want those guys to be startable?

For reference, here's our dynasty league's IDP scoring. We've adjusted several of these values over the year. They currently result in IDP guys being as important as offense skill players - in some weeks a DB has the highest score. We also start 6 IDP players (and 7 offensive players).

0.5 PPR. Each reception by an offensive player is worth half of one fantasy point.
Offensive scoring:
Passing yards: 0.04 points/yd
TD pass thrown: 4 points
Interceptions thrown: -2 points
Rushing yards: 0.1 points/yd
Rushing TD: 6 points
2pt rushing conversion: 2 points
Receiving yards: 0.1 points/yd
Each reception: 0.5 points
TD reception: 6 points
2pt receiving conversion: 2 points
Kickoff/punt return yards: 0.04 points/yd
Kickoff/punt return TD: 6 points
Fumble recovered for TD: 6 points
Interception return TD: 6 points
Blocked punt or FG return for TD: 6 points
1 point Safety: 1 point
Fumbles lost: -2 points
Defensive scoring:
Solo Tackles: 1.5 points
Assisted Tackles: .75 points
Sacks: 4 points
QB Hits: .75 points
Tackles for a Loss: 2 or 3 points (2 if includes sacks, 3 if not)
Interceptions: 9 points, inclusive of Pass Defensed
Passes Defensed: 3 points
Forced Fumbles: 4 points
Fumble Recoveries: 2 points
Safeties: 6 points
Blocked Kicks: 6 points
Touchdowns: 6 points
Rushing yards: 0.1 points/yd
Receiving yards: 0.1 points/yd

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I held on to Jakobi Meyers against all recommendations and better judgement because I thought he looked the part.

Trust your eyes I guess, he has 56 yards and a TD so far

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

I held on to Jakobi Meyers against all recommendations and better judgement because I thought he looked the part.

I think he's going to be legit and will be more fantasy relevant than Bourne.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol damning with faint praise

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

87 points it is

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sourdough posted:

lol damning with faint praise
poo poo

Spermy Smurf posted:

87 points it is
poo poo

I almost said Agholor too but I dont think that would have helped my case :v:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

Nothing is more important than preseason production

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

A few notes:

• five IR slots is quite generous, but maybe smart in these covid times
  • if you can, instead of 25 yards per point, do 0.04 points per yard. It's really stupid to have your score drop by a whole point because a guy gets stat corrected from 75.1 yards to 74.9. Same thing with rushing 10y/pt, do 0.1pt/yard instead.
  • think about -2 INTs carefully. -1 and -2 are both very common, but at -2, a lot of marginal QBs become un-startable due to interception risk. -2 is OK of course, but don't just do it blindly is what I'm saying.
  • Check for combination IDP scoring that can be silly. For example, a strip sack counts as both a sack and forced fumble (at least it does in MFL)
  • I can't fathom why anyone would have D/STs in the same league as IDPs. The whole point of IDP is to not need to do D/ST any more, because D/ST is dumb. Also don't do kickers. Kickers are also dumb.
  • By your scoring, a player who fumbles (-1) and then recovers their own fumble (+2) earns you a net point. You may also be doing -2 actually for the fumble though, since you have -1 fumbles and -1 fumble lost. Make sure you wanted that overlap, if it exists.
  • In our league we bumped up tackle scoring and lowered some other IDP scoring, in order to keep them from being quite so swingy. There's a lot of IDP guys who will get 50 or 60 tackles on the year, and then three random weeks they'll get sacks. Do you want those guys to be startable?

For reference, here's our dynasty league's IDP scoring...

Thanks for your input! Unfortunately I don't have little control over these things and think they are locked in for this year at least. On the plus side I believe the yardage is calculated based on fractions per yard.

Seems like there's debate every year about whether or not to include IDPs, there's a vocal minority that absolutely hates them, in part because of their swingy nature which you've noted. I remember when JJ Watt was gold because he'd rake in receiving TDs alongside his incredible defensive numbers.

Any thoughts on how to factor the scoring/roster into ranking lists? I figure it ups the rankings of QBs somewhat, but hard to say how much. A cute trick sometimes has been to find a WR or IDP that does a lot of returning which bolsters their points total.

Also just catching up, I assume expert rankings are taking into the consideration the possibility of players contracting Covid-19 given what I learned about Lamar Jackson having contracted it twice and still debating whether or not to get vaccinated.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Ehh I am still skeptical of Meyers as more than a PPR depth piece. This isn't his first time as a preseason stud (see 2019).

He is mostly just an underneath option (#49 in Average Target distance, #68 in Deep Targets last year) who is not much of a red zone factor (#94 in Red Zone Targets). Other guys are running the lower percentage but high value money routes and Meyers is the safe option to look to if those aren't available. He's pretty solid at that but his 85/1,088/0 career line so far feels like a giant tell as to his lack of dynamic playmaking ability. Maybe he's just been unlucky at catching TDs... or maybe a guy who runs a 4.63 forty with below average speed and agility scores isn't good at finding the end zone in the big leagues. He also played 45.8% of his snaps out of the slot last year and I think that will drop with Bourne playing primarily out of the slot this season.

I think Agholor is going to outproduce him easily.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1428528171830415364?s=20

I loving love when Madden spin moves work in real life. Keep J.J. Taylor's name in mind in dynasty or if James White ever gets injured. The Pats coaches love him (they call him "Little Dion") and there have been indications he is being groomed as White's eventual replacement.

Tiptoes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 20, 2021

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rhamondre StevenSZN, folks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

RCarr posted:

Nothing is more important than preseason production

He looked good last preseason 2019 preseason, when I picked him up. He's a solid piece when your rosters are 31 deep haha

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 20, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

He looked good last preseason 2019 preseason, when I picked him up. He's a solid piece when your rosters are 31 deep haha

Oh yeah in dynasty he’s definitely worth a stash. I had him years ago and was psyched until Cam tanked the offense.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My lord how many RBs does New England have?

Who the gently caress is JJ Taylor

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kiimo posted:

Don't listen to them. I love Meyers in dynasty. He's a third year guy who had a really good second half last year. He passed the eye test for me. He's just a good football player, and I like trusting that to win out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

When I picked him up somebody was yelling at me not to trust preseason and that N'Keal Harry would be dominant once the season started.

Whoops

Also Philly is going to be playing from behind a LOT and may have the #1 pick next draft. Woof.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

kiimo posted:

Never draft a New England back

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

kiimo posted:

the Patriots will be a MONSTER rushing team this season and if you ever even consider starting any of their RBs that'll be the week they get zero carries.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

anyone have a good link for UDFAs who are going to make fantasy impacts?

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

kiimo posted:

He's a second year UDFA who is undersized (5'5' 185 lbs) but was quite productive at Arizona with a 1,400 yard rushing season in 2018 and 32 receptions in his final year in college in 2019. He had limited touches last year but did have a double digit touch game before Damien Harris returned and he averaged 4.8 YPC with 2.91 yards after contact overall, so he plays bigger than his size.

This was RBs coach Ivan Fears talking about him during minicamp:
https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1400518730250080258?s=20

Compare that with his comments on Rhamondre Stevenson from early in training camp:

https://nesn.com/2021/08/patriots-rhamondre-stevenson-must-improve-everything-ivan-fears/ posted:

Asked what Stevenson needs to improve as he works his way through his first NFL training camp, the longtime New England Patriots running backs coach shared a blunt assessment.

“Everything,” Fears replied. “Everything. What do I like about him? He’s here. I like that he’s here. Other than that, everything’s got to improve. That’s what we have to get done. He’s got a lot to learn. He’s talented, we’ll see what he can do in the games, but right now, he’s got a lot to learn — a lot to learn.”

So the praise does seem genuine to me as Fears is mostly a straight talker. James White is 29 and was allowed to explore his free agency options before they resigned him to a one year deal. They could easily make the move to a younger passing down back next year and Mac Jones has been peppering Taylor with targets when they play together. White has averaged 10+ PPG in PPR in 4 of his last 6 seasons and I think that role is going to be just as productive with Mac Jones at the helm.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

RCarr posted:

Never draft a New England back

Never again

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Sataere posted:

Don't listen to them. I love Meyers in dynasty. He's a third year guy who had a really good second half last year. He passed the eye test for me. He's just a good football player, and I like trusting that to win out.

Things like reception perception and PFF both grade him out very highly.

There's a good chance that Meyers is the top receiver on that team. That still might not be a super relevant role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

RCarr posted:

Dynasty auctions are cool but a slow dynasty auction is something I’d rather die than attempt. gently caress that. Normal slow drafts are terrible enough as you sit there waiting 20+ hours for someone to take Kamara with the 3rd pick or whatever.

I'm in 2 slow draft (my first) guillotine leagues right now and I'm already learning slow drafts aren't for me. And these are only 4 hour timers with the clock off overnight. Can't imagine how annoying it'd be to wait days until I can make another pick.