Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Beevor's Stalingrad is one of the more well regarded books last I checked. When I tried reading it first I found it rather dense, but having gone back to it after years of wargaming WWII it was extremely readable. It's one of his more academic ones though, he got more "pop" since then. The MilHist thread will be happy to guide you to whatever level of depth you want to go into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Beevor was the go-to for a long time but since the fall of the Cold War a lot of soviet primary sources have become available that have given historians a much more balanced perspective. Beevors book is very readable, but bear it mind that it fundamentally represents a German point of view, because that was the material that was available at the time.

I have a list of books I’d recommend that I’ll come add later when I’m home from work. There is some awesome stuff that has come out recently.

Edit: just realized he was asking about the eastern front in general and not just Stalingrad, but regardless I have some book recommendations I’ll post later!

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 19, 2021

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If you are looking for a one-book tour of the Eastern Front, Russia's War by Richard Overy is fabulous.

In fact, the only thing I dislike about it is the title, which does the very common "USSR = Russia" thing. Russians were only about half of the USSR's population. It is sort of like saying California and England invaded Normandy on D-Day.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

David Glantz's book When Titans Clashed is still the go-to single volume on the Nazi/Soviet war imo. It can be very dry, however, but his use of Soviet sources is matchless and it even came out before Beevor's Stalingrad (but has since been updated in a new edition)..

David Stahel, whom I mentioned previously, mostly only deals with the German side of the conflict, but thankfully doesn't fall into the trap that most historians that write books for the mass market do: believing that German sources are inherently more "truthful" than others. Turns out the Germans lied all the time just like everyone else, and German command during Barbarossa was a constant slapfight between senior officers who hated each other's guts.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Endman posted:

David Glantz's book When Titans Clashed is still the go-to single volume on the Nazi/Soviet war imo. It can be very dry, however, but his use of Soviet sources is matchless and it even came out before Beevor's Stalingrad (but has since been updated in a new edition)..

David Stahel, whom I mentioned previously, mostly only deals with the German side of the conflict, but thankfully doesn't fall into the trap that most historians that write books for the mass market do: believing that German sources are inherently more "truthful" than others. Turns out the Germans lied all the time just like everyone else, and German command during Barbarossa was a constant slapfight between senior officers who hated each other's guts.

I've only read one of his series so far bur I loved the bit where he quotes a bunch of Nazis post war talking about how they'd all studied Napoleon in Russia and then presenting evidence they'd only started reading it in like 43

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

Beevor was the go-to for a long time but since the fall of the Cold War a lot of soviet primary sources have become available that have given historians a much more balanced perspective. Beevors book is very readable, but bear it mind that it fundamentally represents a German point of view, because that was the material that was available at the time.

I have a list of books I’d recommend that I’ll come add later when I’m home from work. There is some awesome stuff that has come out recently.

Edit: just realized he was asking about the eastern front in general and not just Stalingrad, but regardless I have some book recommendations I’ll post later!
I'd say that he was fundamentally critical of the German point of view, because he does identify the points where their thinking was wildly out of touch with reality even with regards to their allied formations, but it's fair to say that it's an older book that treats the Soviets as kind of a force of nature revealed via contact with German troops rather than giving their agency in the fight equal airing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

Yes, please!

Ok! Well you definitely have the updated 4th edition. The version I bought was third, and they sent out a complementary 4th to compensate for the lackluster army lists.

For example, the SS do not appear in the third edition.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Endman posted:

Glantz is definitely the gold standard for Eastern Front material. He's very much a military historian writing for other historians/academics which explains his dry tone. Believe it or not, When Titans Clashed is one of his more accessible books. No one can match him for research thoroughness though. Look at these beauties:

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd say that he was fundamentally critical of the German point of view, because he does identify the points where their thinking was wildly out of touch with reality even with regards to their allied formations, but it's fair to say that it's an older book that treats the Soviets as kind of a force of nature revealed via contact with German troops rather than giving their agency in the fight equal airing.

I think I was combining Beevor's Stalingrad and William Craig's Enemy at the Gates in my head. Beevor is definitely the more more reliable of the two.
--

Regarding the historiography of Stalingrad, David Glantz sums it up pretty well in his foreword for Michael K Jones Stalingrad: How the Red Army Triumphed (which is an interesting book, primarily consisting of first-hand accounts by Soviet soldiers who were at Stalingrad):

David Glantz posted:

Although death or captivity denied many senior Wehrmacht commanders the opportunity to compile their own memoirs, other authors filled the void by presenting the German perspective on the fighting. Until very recently, however, since the combat records of many German units that fought at Stalingrad were either destroyed in the war or captured by the Red Army, these accounts lacked a sound archival base.

Western historians began introducing the battle of Stalingrad to their audiences in the early 1970s, synthesizing materials from these and other Soviet and German sources. Leading the way were the seminal works, Enemy at the Gates, written by William Craig in 1973 [...] and the gripping, best-selling popular social history of the battle, Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege, 1942-1943, written by Antony Beevor in 1998. As successful as these books have been, however, they suffer from the same problems that marred the work of their predecessors, in particular, a lack of fresh military documentation and an over-reliance on Chuikov’s flawed memoir. They maintain a context of ‘old’ history, repeating many of the same details and perpetuating the mistakes present in Chuikov’s work.

As this important new book shows, this state of affairs has now drastically changed for the better. During the past few years, the Russian government has finally released the main archival records related to the battle for Stalingrad, specifically, the daily operational summaries of the Red Army General Staff and the war diaries of the 62nd Army and its subordinate divisions and brigades, all in unexpurgated form. At the same time, Russian historians such as Aleksei Isaev and V V Beshanov have penned candid and detailed histories of the fighting during this period based on these newly released materials.2 Finally, thanks to the work of the Australian historian, Jason Mark, who has “trawled” German records to an unprecedented extent and produced magnificently detailed studies on Wehrmacht combat operations in Stalingrad, we now have accounts of the fighting from the German side comparable to those from the Soviet perspective.3 Michael Jones’s book, Stalingrad: How the Red Army Triumphed, represents a milestone in the treatment of the battle.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Class Warcraft posted:

Glantz is definitely the gold standard for Eastern Front material. He's very much a military historian writing for other historians/academics which explains his dry tone. Believe it or not, When Titans Clashed is one of his more accessible books. No one can match him for research thoroughness though. Look at these beauties:

Hell yeah! But you should really put them in order. :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As a soviet player, I definitely enjoyed Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945 by C. Merridale. It doesn't sugar coat any part of Soviet life or existance, but still gives a heartwarming and intensely personal look at soviet soldiers life before and during the war.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Look at these beauties:

Beauties? Beauties? Two separate volumes are labeled “Volume 3”. That’s obscene. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

Beauties? Beauties? Two separate volumes are labeled “Volume 3”. That’s obscene. :v:

Its okay because they are also books 1 and 2, unlike the other books 1 and 2 on the right.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its okay because they are also books 1 and 2, unlike the other books 1 and 2 on the right.

Those are volumes, can you even read??

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
When a triology has four books, your editor got creative.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lilljonas posted:

Tell that to Lucas.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Stalingrad Book 2: Der Kessel Boogaloo.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I finally got a game of Bolt Action in, with a friend! I was the Italian Alpini, versus the Romanian army. I had four squads, a flamer tankette, a medium tank, howitzer and medium mortar.
He had a medium tank, armoured car, AT gun, light mortar, MMG team and a bunch of squads. He had more guys overall, but my squads were vets compared to his regulars.

As we jockeyed for position early on it looked like I might be in a rough way, due to his advantageous positions. But through some lucky rolls I was able to stall his advance towards the objectives on my left flank, then again on my right flank. He moved his tank down the right, then I jumped it with my tankette. A few turns of close-quarter duelling ensued, before my flamer tankette won.
Meanwhile on the left flank, my medium tank wiped out the armoured car, AT gun and MMG team.

In the end, I took only EIGHT casualties, while he lost 45 men and the vehicles+weapons mentioned above. I think my main takeaway is that indirect weapons like my howitzer and mortar aren't all that good (both combined killed one man, right at the end), so I'd be better-off with an AT gun or something. Veteran units are also very good, seems like!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

lilljonas posted:

There's precedent, just slap on a "increasingly inappropriately named trilogy" label on each subsequent book.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Italian Alpini, versus the Romanian army.

This sounds wild and I fully support it

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Nobody knows what a 'quadrilogy' is, we'll just have Book 1, Book 2, Book 3 Part 1, and Book 3 Part 2. It's fine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Major Isoor posted:

In the end, I took only EIGHT casualties, while he lost 45 men and the vehicles+weapons mentioned above. I think my main takeaway is that indirect weapons like my howitzer and mortar aren't all that good (both combined killed one man, right at the end), so I'd be better-off with an AT gun or something. Veteran units are also very good, seems like!

Props to your friend for playing the dark horse faction, as it where.

And yeah, mortars w/o spotter hit on 6s and it only improves if you fire at the same, unmoving target again, which is w<devolves into a rant against on-table artillery>ommand needs a second edition.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It's funny that the final books are labeled "volume three book one" and "volume three book two" after two books just labeled volumes one and two

The YA cash in film trilogy of history books.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Mortars and artillery are one of those things in BA that seem underpowered at first but once you get the hang of them they’ll be your second most important units aside from your infantry.

For mortars you generally want to choose a target that either already has some pins, or that your opponent would be loathe to move (like an artillery piece or mmg) and just keep shooting at it. Statistically you’re pretty likely to score a hit after two/three shots and a hit usually is enough to destroy the entire unit.

Artillery can be fired over open sights and I would recommend doing this whenever possible. It can also be used to put lots of pins on a tank/vehicle even if it’s unlikely to penetrate.

Don’t forget that units don’t get cover saves against HE when in buildings - making it the preferred way to shift troops out of buildings.

edit: also light AT guns are pretty good - they've scored more tank kills for me than anything else because people underestimate them.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 21, 2021

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's funny that the final books are labeled "volume three book one" and "volume three book two" after two books just labeled volumes one and two

The YA cash in film trilogy of history books.

If you really think about it, the Cold War/Vietnam War was kinda like the Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1/Part 2 of our history

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Played some BA today that wound up grossly one-sided. Tabled the Germans while losing only a couple minis. It didn’t feel good.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Beerdeer posted:

Played some BA today that wound up grossly one-sided. Tabled the Germans while losing only a couple minis. It didn’t feel good.

You blunted the tide of Nazism and this is… bad?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Somebody post the story of the guy with a box labelled "fascists" he threw dead german minis into again

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hey, either you win a game or nazis lose! I do USA/Ger WW2 and refer to them as 'good guys/bad guys' to my kids.

Got my photon mono last week but didn't get around to turning it on til Fri night. The first print was underexposed, but the next 5 worked nicely. The vehicles have scarring from being oversupported and photon workshop is kinda rough, but I didn't have to give battlefront $200 and can cover up blemishes with stowage/battle damage for character.

Thanks for peer pressuring me into it! I think.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Beerdeer posted:

Maybe you got the rules wrong or your friend sucks? Vets are good, but not that good

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Maybe you got the rules wrong or your friend sucks? Vets are good, but not that good

I've found that completely one-sided results are pretty common when you try out new rulesets and don't really have a full grasp of it. I remember my first game of CoC being a complete miserable slog where I popped up with a section, had it completely shot to pieces, popped up with the next one and so on. It was an awful, one-sided slaughter.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my friend casually revealed to me he collected the entire Axis and Allies miniature game on a whim, has never played it and has just waited around for years for someone to express interest in it. Hd
e then opened his closed...and yeah, I think he has all of it.
:stare:

He said he'll play with me if I want. Is it any good?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

My first game of BA I decided to take as many inexperienced soviet squads as possible thinking more men = better, right? we also played on a mostly empty table because we didn’t have any terrain yet. Did not go well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

my friend casually revealed to me he collected the entire Axis and Allies miniature game on a whim, has never played it and has just waited around for years for someone to express interest in it. Hd
e then opened his closed...and yeah, I think he has all of it.
:stare:

He said he'll play with me if I want. Is it any good?
It was okay, but it suffered from being "collectable" like the other WotC miniatures games, and it was possible to actually break the game in such a way that it was impossible to lose by just taking basic Soviet infantry.

I'd play it again if someone had a collection and wanted a game, but I wouldn't buy in.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Arquinsiel posted:

it was impossible to lose by just taking basic Soviet infantry.

Oh so it's historically accurate!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Class Warcraft posted:

My first game of BA I decided to take as many inexperienced soviet squads as possible thinking more men = better, right? we also played on a mostly empty table because we didn’t have any terrain yet. Did not go well.

Enemy at the Gates: The Film: The Miniatures Game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

JcDent posted:

Props to your friend for playing the dark horse faction, as it where.

And yeah, mortars w/o spotter hit on 6s and it only improves if you fire at the same, unmoving target again, which is w<devolves into a rant against on-table artillery>ommand needs a second edition.

Oh, so how come Romania is a bit of a dark horse, if you don't mind me asking? Are you referring to its lack in popularity but good access to German vehicles, etc? (From memory - I'm not 100% on the things it gets)

I'm pretty unfamiliar with BA in general, so I'm totally lost on the subject, really. All I can do is roll D6s and consistently get lucky with them. (Like, really lucky. D6s and D8s love me. Other dice though? Not so much. I can rarely roll well on a D20. But on the flip-side, a lot of my friends refuse to play D6-based games with me these days hahah :v: )

Class Warcraft posted:

[arty+mortar talk]

Good stuff! I didn't think about it as a pin-making machine. I still kinda think I should ditch either my mortar or my howitzer for an AT gun (light AT sounds like) since I don't think doubling-up is particularly effective, given my track record last game. I definitely got lucky with being able to rush a squad and my tank to an objective overlooking a field (with a ruined house/objective in the middle) on turn one, which enabled me to hold that entire flank super easily. If I had to rely on my arty, I would've been doomed.

Not sure which of the two I should ditch for the AT gun though. Maybe the howitzer? I'm at work, but I think that's more expensive than my medium mortar, for effectively the same result. Light AT guns do look like good value though

Also, last night I found a George Patton mini Warlord chucked in for free, when I made an order ages back. Are higher-level officers worth taking, in BA? My Jr Lt didn't see much use last game, since he always ended up being in the wrong place - so a second officer might be handy.
And if that ends up being the case, I'm very tempted to paint my Patton mini in Italian colours (maybe adding in the black Alpini feather on his helmet, for good measure) and cunningly disguise him as Georgio Pattini, a high-profile officer who proved to be essential to the Italian war effort :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 23, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, so how come Romania is a bit of a dark horse, if you don't mind me asking? Are you referring to its lack in popularity but good access to German vehicles, etc? (From memory - I'm not 100% on the things it gets)

Romania has very little model support and gets mostly ignored in the various campaign books so they're not very popular - although their national traits are actually pretty decent. I would actually call the Italians the dark horse army because their main national trait can be a huge liability.

quote:

Good stuff! I didn't think about it as a pin-making machine. I still kinda think I should ditch either my mortar or my howitzer for an AT gun (light AT sounds like) since I don't think doubling-up is particularly effective, given my track record last game. I definitely got lucky with being able to rush a squad and my tank to an objective overlooking a field (with a ruined house/objective in the middle) on turn one, which enabled me to hold that entire flank super easily. If I had to rely on my arty, I would've been doomed.

Not sure which of the two I should ditch for the AT gun though. Maybe the howitzer? I'm at work, but I think that's more expensive than my medium mortar, for effectively the same result. Light AT guns do look like good value though

I think it would depend on the scenario you'll be playing. If there are good sightlines and/or you're planning on mostly staying put I'd take the howitzer. If there is a decent amount of intervening terrain or plan on having to advance often the mortar might be better.

quote:

Also, last night I found a George Patton mini Warlord chucked in for free, when I made an order ages back. Are higher-level officers worth taking, in BA? My Jr Lt didn't see much use last game, since he always ended up being in the wrong place - so a second officer might be handy.
And if that ends up being the case, I'm very tempted to paint my Patton mini in Italian colours (maybe adding in the black Alpini feather on his helmet, for good measure) and cunningly disguise him as Georgio Pattini, a high-profile officer who proved to be essential to the Italian war effort :D

Generally you want at least a Senior Lieutenant so their Snap To action can activate two other units. Higher level officers are a must if you're taking a lot of inexperienced troops, otherwise you wouldn't really need one. You should do Italian George Patton regardless and can just call him whatever rank you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Romania has very little model support and gets mostly ignored in the various campaign books so they're not very popular - although their national traits are actually pretty decent. I would actually call the Italians the dark horse army because their main national trait can be a huge liability.

Ah right, of course! Yeah their traits are good. Also, I think the only models I actually bought off Warlord are my howitzer and Patton (for free). The rest were from Great Escape Games I think, since they actually do specific Alpini models. I'm pretty sure my Romanian-aligned friend is in the same boat now that you mention it, yeah. GEG have been great, for us

Class Warcraft posted:

I think it would depend on the scenario you'll be playing. If there are good sightlines and/or you're planning on mostly staying put I'd take the howitzer. If there is a decent amount of intervening terrain or plan on having to advance often the mortar might be better.

Right, yeah that's fair. I think the howitzer also gets a defensive bonus due to the shield too, right? So it's handy to have in that regard. As you say though, I think I might need to swap one or the other out, depending on scenario.

Class Warcraft posted:

Generally you want at least a Senior Lieutenant so their Snap To action can activate two other units. Higher level officers are a must if you're taking a lot of inexperienced troops, otherwise you wouldn't really need one. You should do Italian George Patton regardless and can just call him whatever rank you need.

Oh, ok then. So seeing as my standard infantry squads are veterans (four squads of eight) I guess I don't really need a second officer? Depending on costs it might help to get a second one anyway I suppose (one for each flank, kinda deal) but yeah fair, I might just take a Snr Lt instead and leave it at that.