Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm about a listen and-a-half into Colors II, not everything lands for me (particularly some of the slower moments like Turbulent never really come together and end up dragging a bit) but when it hits it hits. This is the most energized they've felt in years, the callbacks to Colors are like a direct dopamine drip for my dumb lizard brain, and the closing track is absolutely insane. I didn't really have super high expectations, not because I was expecting it to be bad but their last few releases haven't clicked with me so I figured I'd just grown away from their sound, but this poo poo rips. Easy AOTY contender for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Hell yeah!

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

wandler20 posted:

Spiritbox would have to absolutely butcher the unreleased half of their upcoming album for it not to be my album of the year. I'm pretty much digging everything Courtney has touched. MTS song is really good and I'm even digging that new Crown The Empire song.

the rest of the record would have to be five finger death punch covers or something to make it suck. they are crushing every release.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
BTBAM: fully sick. Feels like they let Colors hang out with the newer kids (Coma/Automatas) and brought it back to record. The mix is insanely clean & well produced

I had been a passing fan for a few years thanks to high school computers letting us access PureVolume.com during AutoCAD class/study hall. So I listened to a bunch of Selkies/Alaska/All Bodies? every period (plus Fall of Troy, Carter Beats the Devil, A Life Once Lost.. I had a good 35-40 minute rotation most of the year). I was in my first few weeks at college and my brother texted me "the selkies band just released a killer album" and my roommate & I downloaded it on Ruckus. For the next several years bro & I didn't miss a single BTBAM show in our area. I think Colors -> Misdirect -> Parallax I EP was their best run of writing. My brother passed in early 2015 a few months before Coma Ecliptic came out and while I enjoyed it, I leaned heavily on Colors & a few other albums for a long while before "putting them away" (lol I don't own a physical copy of any music).

Colors II is a bit like going back in time for me. I wish I could text him about it (or tag him somehow on here, forums user Andy Cancer) but that's life, isn't it?

Between new BTBAM & CM Punk's rumored return tonight it's like he's pulling strings somewhere out there. It's fine. I'll just be a mopey bitch all day

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

condolences, friend. music is powerful stuff and as much as i think btbam got worse over the years bc i'm an elitist for old school bullshit, your story makes me appreciate that they made Colors II bc of how it's impacting you and bringing back cool memories of you and your brother.

keep your head up :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm about 3/4 through Colors 2 - loving work keeps interrupting - and I'm loving it.

I've always liked everything they've done, but they peaked with Alaska for me. This poo poo is up there though. I felt like doing a fat old man mosh during the second track, just here in my office.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As the resident btbam ultra fanboy, I just got done listening to Colors for the millionth time in anticipation, though I think that was only my 2nd or 3rd listen of the 2020 remix/master. I still love it as much as I did in 2007

I couldn't manage to stay up last night to stream Colors II at midnight and hell if I'm going to let work interrupt my very first listen, so I am waiting until tonight. I am giddy with anticipation

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just chiming in to say Colors II is great, maybe their best since TGM (coincidentally gave up my tickets to see them play that album tonight because of COVID. Sad.) I think this slots into fourth overall for my BTBAM rankings at the moment.

Also my friend sent me this meme:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
btbam album ranking

1 - Colors
2 - Coma Ecliptic
3 - Alaska
4 - The Great Misdirect
5 - Parallax 1
6 - Automata I/II
7 - Parallax 2
8 - Self-Titled
9 - The Silent Circus

??? - Colors II

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just chiming in to say Colors II is great, maybe their best since TGM (coincidentally gave up my tickets to see them play that album tonight because of COVID. Sad.) I think this slots into fourth overall for my BTBAM rankings at the moment.

I have VIP tickets for the Tampa show in 2 weeks and I have no idea if I'm going. Fuckin' Florida :(

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They're coming to Nashville on 9/15, but no can do. Delta is running full force through my dumb loving state, and my daughter is about to start radiation treatment. Can't take any risks.

Oh well - TBH I've always thought their live show was on the boring side. Granted I only ever saw them like 500 times for their first album, then not again until the Colors tour (where they only played Colors + 1 non-Colors encore song).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If I lived in the South I'd be terrified to leave my house right now. Here in Chicago I'm just trying to stick to shows at venues that require proof of vax because that's the only way I can go to a show without giving my girlfriend a panic attack (and I'm not super comfortable either). We did just start a new mask mandate today.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The chorus on Never Seen/Future Shock is absolutely my jam. Haven't listened to the album enough times to give it any sort of ranking yet but it's consistent with the quality of everything they've put out in the last couple years.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

kumba posted:

btbam album ranking

your list is backwards and has 7 too many albums on it :confused:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just chiming in to say Colors II is great, maybe their best since TGM (coincidentally gave up my tickets to see them play that album tonight because of COVID. Sad.)

I'm catching them tonight. Just looking at the ticket that I've kept in my drawer all this time. They were supposed to play May 19, 2020. Very excited for tonight.

Chicago venues are requiring proof of vax, or negative test within 72 hours. Masks are to be worn while not actively eating or drinking. I expect a bunch of old fucks like myself in attendance to respect the rules, but we'll see how it goes. Stay safe and protect yourself, everybody!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't listened to Colors 2 yet but Alaska is BTBAM's best album imo

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Self Titled up to Alaska is good. I really like it for the that nostalgic slice of metal core that all our local bands (upstate NY) tried to emulate. Local shows were tons of fun. Colors to P1 is their best. P2 up to now are pretty good and varied. I feel like they’ve got something for everyone

Seriously I’m at the clean singing section of More of Myself to Kill and it’s so high school it kills me

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Omnikin posted:

Seriously I’m at the clean singing section of More of Myself to Kill and it’s so high school it kills me

They played this song tonight. Tommy said, "How about an old one? This is "More of Myself to Kill" and I immediately went "ohhhh poo poo this is that guy on SA's favorite song!!"

Related, the person who got me into BTBAM in the first place said that the album cover of their self titled reminded him of our high school auditorium.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

anybody want the latest born of osiris as a digital download? i got a code with my vinyl purchase and i'll never do anything with it

https://www.atozmedia.com/soundcard

SSDG17DZJVF

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: nvm, someone claimed it. :eng99:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just brought them up a page or so back, but Spirit Breaker dropped a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDiBmBoA_eI

I'm seriously digging this recent album and think y'all will too

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

XIII posted:

Anyone listen to the new album from Spirit Breaker? I've been jamming it quite a bit since it dropped and it's steadily creeping up in my Best of '21 ranking

Thanks for calling this out. I woulda slept otherwise on account of my gently caress solid state clause, but I’ve been really into this release since you mentioned it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hell yeah, glad someone else is into it. I don't keep up with label drama enough to know which ones I do/don't wanna support, but sucks to hear they're on one of the Don'ts

edit: new track from The Bronx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNz1TroooYg

Album drops Friday and I fully expect it to be Fun As Hell

XIII fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 25, 2021

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlPO4ccQZzM

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

^ i don't think i've ever seen a song/music video combo this self-serious in my entire life. the cringe voiceover quote from interstellar* and marching into ambiguous enemy fire. jesus christ. i kept thinking "man i hope this is just an elaborate joke and they're really just doing paintball or something" but nope

i would be embarrassed to be these dudes friends IRL knowing they made this lol

*i know it's not FROM interstellar but that's all i could think about bc loving michael caine repeats it over and over throughout that loving movie

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Savage takedown, but utterly inarguable points top to bottom.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i was in a mood earlier. i still stand by what i said but no offense to OP

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ShoogaSlim posted:

i was in a mood earlier. i still stand by what i said but no offense to OP

None taken, it's obviously not for everyone and the video is poo poo.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

wandler20 posted:

None taken, it's obviously not for everyone and the video is poo poo.

:hfive:

if you would have showed me that song (or the spirit breaker XIII posted earlier) when i was ten years younger i woulda sucked your dick about it

nowadays it all sounds very samey to me and like i've heard it a zillion times. it's not BAD but like you said not for everyone

i have devolved into enjoying the downtempo dumbfuck side of -core stuff as the years have gone by, like the newest song from filth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTyVR5nKLyE

fyi this video is also loving stupid, but in a way that most videos are just low effort dudes in a room pretending to play live. at least the other song attempted to have a narrative so i have to give credit where it's due

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think its fine to be embarrassed about how cringey some of this stuff is while still unironically enjoying it. i still bump versatile by above this sometimes.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it is nice that most deathcore and metalcore nowadays has moved on from that kind of content. like old chelsea grin stuff has very powerful incel energy, it sucks pretty bad

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

We listen to music for idiot bros. It is what it is. At least most fans of the genre are self aware now

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yes I completely realize that most of the music I listen to is ridiculous in one way or another, and it owns.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Gone Fashing posted:

i still bump versatile by above this sometimes.

:hfive: This whole album is a masterpiece. There's never been a more pure distillation of that 2010 "internet toughguy who just learned about weed and sex talking poo poo on Xbox Live" energy. Just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpV6PQYohE

Absolutely braindead. It's basically a Modern Warfare 2 lobby with bass drops.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

:hfive: This whole album is a masterpiece. There's never been a more pure distillation of that 2010 "internet toughguy who just learned about weed and sex talking poo poo on Xbox Live" energy. Just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qpV6PQYohE

Absolutely braindead. It's basically a Modern Warfare 2 lobby with bass drops.

lmao, hit the nail on the head

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer

Omnikin posted:

BTBAM: fully sick. Feels like they let Colors hang out with the newer kids (Coma/Automatas) and brought it back to record. The mix is insanely clean & well produced

I had been a passing fan for a few years thanks to high school computers letting us access PureVolume.com during AutoCAD class/study hall. So I listened to a bunch of Selkies/Alaska/All Bodies? every period (plus Fall of Troy, Carter Beats the Devil, A Life Once Lost.. I had a good 35-40 minute rotation most of the year). I was in my first few weeks at college and my brother texted me "the selkies band just released a killer album" and my roommate & I downloaded it on Ruckus. For the next several years bro & I didn't miss a single BTBAM show in our area. I think Colors -> Misdirect -> Parallax I EP was their best run of writing. My brother passed in early 2015 a few months before Coma Ecliptic came out and while I enjoyed it, I leaned heavily on Colors & a few other albums for a long while before "putting them away" (lol I don't own a physical copy of any music).

Colors II is a bit like going back in time for me. I wish I could text him about it (or tag him somehow on here, forums user Andy Cancer) but that's life, isn't it?

Between new BTBAM & CM Punk's rumored return tonight it's like he's pulling strings somewhere out there. It's fine. I'll just be a mopey bitch all day

BTBAM will always have a special place in my heart. Glad to see them mentioned here.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

White Chapel has a new single out. It ain't good, so anyone curious can find the link on their own.

New albums from The Bronx and Turnstile are both fun as hell. Cancer Bats also released another acoustic single, if that's your sorta thing

Also, 2nd single from the upcoming Rivers of Nihil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XluT0SpbDI

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

White Chapel has a new single out. It ain't good, so anyone curious can find the link on their own.

New albums from The Bronx and Turnstile are both fun as hell. Cancer Bats also released another acoustic single, if that's your sorta thing

Also, 2nd single from the upcoming Rivers of Nihil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XluT0SpbDI

As someone who thinks Owls is one of the best metal albums of the last decade, these last 2 singles haven't done a whole lot for me but I dig the atmosphere. I know this is meant to be their Winter album so it's meant to sound cold, I just hope these tracks make more sense in context

Looking forward to it either way!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
speaking of rivers, instrumental playthrough of another track out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdT12PJYkJg

this new whitechapel single is fuckin tasty and i say that as someone who hasn't listened to that band in at least 10 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ISbiztwUCI

lastly, for those fans of metal-adjacent stuff, new Cold Night For Alligators single is out and new album in February

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIvBwbo7gKk

FFO stuff like Leprous, it's not for everyone but I super dig it

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

kumba posted:

As someone who thinks Owls is one of the best metal albums of the last decade, these last 2 singles haven't done a whole lot for me but I dig the atmosphere. I know this is meant to be their Winter album so it's meant to sound cold, I just hope these tracks make more sense in context

Looking forward to it either way!

Agreed. I absolutely love Owls. It's insanely good. I heard one of their new singles and was just massively disappointed. It felt much more...basic. Uninteresting.

Almost like...a mix of nu-metal and djent or something. I dunno, can't put my finger on it or articulate it. But it still feels almost like a Korn song to me. But either way, didn't tickle my fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This is the first and only thing I've heard from this group, but I'm diggin' this track from SpiritWorld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEvAQBXVdu4

FFO southern metal

Edit: okay, I'm sold. Can't wait to play this in the gym

https://youtu.be/rfS0iQXkSS4

XIII fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 4, 2021