Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Source?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGplNgJRFw

(23:26 if it doesn't automatically start there)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I have to admit I actually enjoyed him for the week he hosted.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I have to admit I actually enjoyed him for the week he hosted.

Hi Mike

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
No, I mean Joe Buck

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

No, I mean Joe Buck

Hi Joe

Joking, joe buck actually did a good job.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Source?

Some twitter account that Claire retweeted. I'm not sure where it came from originally.

Joe Buck was honestly in my top 5 toward the end. Dude was obviously having a ton of fun and it showed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joe Buck was much better than I expected but he's still Joe Buck.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
FOLKS

https://twitter.com/clairemcnear/status/1428720429615681551?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm very glad it actually mattered but I'm not holding out hope they pick someone good for host considering who's doing the special episodes and that Sony allowed this in the first place.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Calling it now, it's Buzzy time.

Edit: also that statement implies that he will continue on as executive producer, which seems almost more awkward than trying to just sweep everything under the rug and let him continue as host.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 20, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Incredible. I've grown used to public pressure simply being ignored, so that's a great surprise. Keeping my fingers crossed for one of the better hosts to be picked.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
BRINGING BACK GUEST HOSTS lmaoooooo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wow. I had set the DVR to stop recording, unbookmarked the thread, and was finally at peace with letting Jeopardy be dead to me. Then Mike Richards stepped down.

gently caress. :allears:

Matt still going?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Is he still going to be the producer?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
YES YES YES YES YES

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We're going to be able to hear him drunkenly laugh sarcastically any time the guest host messes up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just got the push!

:woop:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's no way they go with Ken now, right? I think he could have survived the "past comments" blowback had they picked him from the start, but not after this debacle.

Get Joe Buck imo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Folks I hate to say this but: it's going to be Mayim full time. Right? Probably the only reason she wasn't was because Richards was pushing so hard for himself.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Right now I'm just glad I can continue to watch Jeopardy for now, at least until they clone Hitler for the specific purpose of hosting Jeopardy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

HookShot posted:

Some twitter account that Claire retweeted. I'm not sure where it came from originally.

Joe Buck was honestly in my top 5 toward the end. Dude was obviously having a ton of fun and it showed.

Yea, I was impressed with Joe Buck. Aside from being a little too loud and energetic, he seemed to be one of the most natural guys at it. One of the big things he did was actually vary up his responses. It was something a lot of guest hosts were bad at, lots of just correct, yes, no, etc.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
He recorded a week or two of eps, right? So they'll still have to show those? My proposals:

* Show them. If we can survive two weeks of Mehmet, we can survive two weeks of Mike.
* Trash them. There could be a continuity error, but odds are, Matt Amodio went in as champ, and Matt Amodio came out as champ. However, since people really want to actually be on Jeopardy! and all that, this obviously doesn't work, I just wanted to make the joke about how dominant Matt is.
* The true answer: Use the Army of the Dead technology to insert Tig Notaro as host.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

welp I got that totally wrong, good news though.

I wonder if Ken's "past comments" (poorly aged jokes that were pretty much acceptable at the time but no one remembers what the internet was like before 2016) stack up to being as terrible as Mike Richard's. they don't seem to follow a pattern like his. the only unforgivable thing is that he's friends with bean dad who seems like the most insufferable human being on the planet.

I'd be happy with the CNBC guy to be honest.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zero One posted:

Folks I hate to say this but: it's going to be Mayim full time. Right? Probably the only reason she wasn't was because Richards was pushing so hard for himself.

I saw a claim somewhere in the past few weeks that they wanted her but she couldn't commit to the time for the syndicated one. So here's hoping that wasn't just more of the sham.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
https://twitter.com/levarburton/status/1428716616011845642

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/James_Holzhauer/status/1428726739736297486

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

wa27 posted:

There's no way they go with Ken now, right? I think he could have survived the "past comments" blowback had they picked him from the start, but not after this debacle.

Get Joe Buck imo.

There is no way Joe Buck leaves his insane FOX Sports contract to fulltime host Jeopardy, he gets paid something like $6M per year.

I thought he was a great guest host too.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Get Joe Buck imo.

Ehhh, I think they can still go with Ken and have it not be an issue. The thing about Richards is he had NO redeeming features whatsoever. He was not a fan favourite. He has virtually no history with the show. He is not literally the GOAT. He hasn't got hordes of fans from his time on J!

Ken has all of those. There are some kind of in-hindsight dumb tweets that he deleted, but I bet people would be willing to look past those in a way they weren't about Richards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zero One posted:

This was my first thought I as well. I'm still confused how out of all the people she got the special host slot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also they apparently cancelled filming for today but oh boy would it have been ironic if they'd had Ken step in and do the hosting duties because Richards was suddenly unavailable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
e: nm, app didn't update

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

This was my first thought I as well. I'm still confused how out of all the people she got the special host slot.

The specials are in prime time, and she was in a popular prime time TV show, seems pretty simple TV executive logic to me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zero One posted:

Doesn't she have a sitcom she's busy with? I'd guess that she just doesn't have time to be the full-time host.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Harrow posted:

Doesn't she have a sitcom she's busy with? I'd guess that she just doesn't have time to be the full-time host.

Her new show got renewed.

For some reason.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Going back to the original Variety article that first leaked the Richards contract negotiations:

quote:

“Jeopardy!” is one of the few remaining powerhouse syndicated series that ranks as television institution, in large part thanks to the enduring popularity of Trebek. The competition to replace Trebek was fierce. It’s understood that Bialik and Cohen were among the standouts who have also been strongly considered for the permanent job.

It's kind of telling that Ken wasn't listed as a consideration. Buzzy would be great. I could see Mayim taking it too. She isn't SO big of a star that this would be a big step down.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Fantastic news! Surely they can't screw it up as badly a second time, right?

Right?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Her new show got renewed.

For some reason.

Grey's Anatomy is 17 seasons in and renewed for an 18th despite only having like two of the original characters left. Don't try to understand tv.

gently caress this was the best news to wake up to today. Maybe I'll be retaking the exam after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Human Cow posted:

Fantastic news! Surely they can't screw it up as badly a second time, right?

Right?
*Monkey's paw curls*

For now, though, I'm just enjoying this small victory!