Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the new quake models are amazing because they blend in incredibly well and nothing about them sticks out as being 'off', all while being notably much better defined

it's like a perfect example of a remaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Djarum posted:

So I was real excited to play this when it updated this afternoon but man it feels awful. It feels like you are riding a unicycle on ice. I am someone who basically speed runs Q1 on a weekly basis and I had trouble doing the first secret jump today. The movement and physics feel way off. It's nice what was done but I don't think most of the improvements are worth what is broken.

I kind of agree with this honestly. It’s not quite to the point where it ruins the game or anything, and the differences seem predictable/learnable but the movement and ballistics definitely feels off from what I’m used to in Quakespasm. I haven’t played vanilla quake in long enough that I can’t say whether this release or QS is the odd one out, and I haven’t tried fiddling with vsync or anything yet, but it definitely threw me.

Looks great though, the updated models are grandmaster level stuff

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm enjoying the Quake upgrade. I wasn't expecting it would run AD at all, but the hub and some of its maps run flawlessly. It does crash trying to load more detailed maps however.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you're having weird issues with how the remaster feels then you absolutely need to fiddle with some of the settings

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

It's kind crazy to compare Quake to games clearly heavily inspired by it.

But Amid Evil and Dusk are some amazing stuff.

One thing that bugs me about both Dusk and Quake, and to a lesser degree, Heretic, is the lack of an "ultimate" weapon, which makes it funny that Amid Evil amends Heretic's lack of one.

Isn't the riveter Dusk's ultimate weapon?

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Been playing switch version, very impressed.so far having no issues that aren't inherent with quake's design

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Oxyclean posted:

One thing that bugs me about both Dusk and Quake, and to a lesser degree, Heretic, is the lack of an "ultimate" weapon

The lightning gun felt like a pretty suitable ultimate weapon to me, personally

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's been too long to say, but the movement feels more slippery than I remember, otherwise Quake's still fun to no one's surprise. The multiplayer however feels close to what I remember from dial-up. The pings jump from 80-250, usually being 200+, which are still lower than the 1100-1400 I had on my 28.8K, but it don't feel so good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
For anyone who doesn't know, for some reason backwards movement is slower than forwards movement in this remaster. (It's not originally.)

You can change it back to the original value with "seta cl_backspeed 400.0" in the console.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gloomwood and Fallen Aces should come out imo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Namagem posted:

I don't know… It only felt ultimate if you used it under water.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vsync toggling does not change anything about the weird movement/physics for me, though it does give me crazy amounts of screen tearing to have it off 🤷‍♂️. Whatever, I’ll get used to it I guess. Also discovered the game CTDs if you try to skip the nineteen opening logos

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

skasion posted:

Vsync toggling does not change anything about the weird movement/physics for me, though it does give me crazy amounts of screen tearing to have it off 🤷‍♂️. Whatever, I’ll get used to it I guess. Also discovered the game CTDs if you try to skip the nineteen opening logos

[drive]:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Quake\rerelease\movies

You can delete the movie files or rename the folder. It'll almost instantly go from the launching window to walking toward the grenade launcher in the start-up demo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

drat, Machinegames were stingy as hell with the healthpacks in this new expansion… I’m sweating!!

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Dimension of the Machine is really drat cool.

Also, I greatly appreciate that the areas with bottom-less pits just teleport you back a little ways if you fall.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Peewi posted:

Isn't the riveter Dusk's ultimate weapon?
I guess I just mean the BFG sets a really high bar. Riveter sort of felt like another kind of rocket launcher or railgun equilvenet, and less "everything in this room dies now."

Namagem posted:

Feels more like a plasma rifle equivalent, but I guess with Quake, you don't really have encounters that warrant something BFG-like.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The riveter is good as hell, it’s a rapid fire rocket launcher, but Dusk doesn’t have a clear super weapon that is head and shoulders above all others. I think it’s probably down to the riveter and the crossbow in terms of “use this to clear a crowd really fast”.

Quake hardly ever has crowds (except in fan content) so there is no real use case for a super weapon.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was worried that this release was something like the Saturn version where the game was grafted onto a completely different engine. For an official 25th anniversary release that would have been lame; that’s like if the official new Doom ports had used BUILD. Quake is an early enough game that the engine quirks are a large part of the flavor.

Rocket Pan posted:

Quake hasn't been "swapped out" at all, Kex doesn't have its own playsim unlike Unreal or such to even do that with. It's the original C Quake code transposed into C++ and compiled into the Kex framework, using cross platform APIs where necessary (such as rendering and networking). It's not even like Doom's Unity shell running library, it's straight up native code.
Basically any "issue" or behaviour that occurs in this port is typically straight up just how Quake always worked, give or take any changes necessary to make sure things don't detonate.
Ok thanks, I didn’t know how Kex worked. That explains how Kex can be used for such wildly different games. Out of curiosity, is there a generic playsim used during development to test all the shared rendering/networking/etc or is each game’s flavor of Kex slightly different?

The Quake playsim source this uses has to be available somewhere due to the GPL, right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
lightning gun with quad damage feels crazier than the BFG imo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Total aside but what is the term "playsim" and when did people start using it? I've followed sourceport development since the mid-2000s and I've never heard it before these last few pages.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oxyclean posted:

Feels more like a plasma rifle equivalent, but I guess with Quake, you don't really have encounters that warrant something BFG-like.

That's probably more of an excuse and a convenience than an actual reason. Quake 2 doesn't really have those either, but brought the BFG back.

It's more likely that the BFG and the lack of BFG-necessitating encounters share the same origin: just like they couldn't really do hordes of enemies due to the new taxing full-3D environment, they couldn't reliably do a BFG. It's easy enough to do the hit calculation in a 2.5D pseudo-top-down game, but when you suddenly add another dimension, that's a lot more rays that would need to be checked to give sufficient coverage.

…and when you combine those factors — can't do hordes because complex environment + can't do mass-hit weapons because complex environment + no hordes to fire a mass-hit weapon at anyway — the BFG-less outcome is pretty sensible.

Then again, there are those rooms with four billion spawns in them…

e: Also…

MMF Freeway posted:

lightning gun with quad damage feels crazier than the BFG imo
…yeah, quad damage picked up just about all the slack anyway as far as providing a limited but occasionally very handy way of wiping the map clean and providing some breathing room.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

shoeberto posted:

Total aside but what is the term "playsim" and when did people start using it? I've followed sourceport development since the mid-2000s and I've never heard it before these last few pages.

It’s just a term for the code involved in the actual gameplay portion of the game that’s simulating a virtual world, so the physics, enemy behavior, etc. I don’t know how standard of a term it is; maybe it’s used in modern games since those engines are considerably more modular than Doom & Quake. One does not simply swap out the physics engine in Doom, for example, (I mean it barely has one) but that’s probably possible in Unity or Unreal.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"myonph" -quake 1 zombie

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How long does Dusk take to really shine? Played a couple of levels and was left completely underwhelmed and even bored by the environments.

On the flipside, Amid Evil hooked me instantly with its gorgeous... everything really.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
aw, the first few Dusk maps were my faves precisely because they avoided fancy architecture. for whatever reason i prefer boxy build engine maps in my retro FPS games.

if fancy geometry is your thing though you'll find it in spades in in the other Dusk episodes. the maps towards the end of episode 1 get a bit fancy too, but episodes 2 and 3 go all in.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gaspy Conana posted:

aw, the first few Dusk maps were my faves precisely because they avoided fancy architecture. for whatever reason i prefer boxy build engine maps in my retro FPS games.

if fancy geometry is your thing though you'll find it in spades in in the other Dusk episodes. the maps towards the end of episode 1 get a bit fancy too, but episodes 2 and 3 go all in.

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere and actual design is great but it just feels like I've played those basic spooky barn levels a billion times already with other games.
Cool to know though, I'll try to stick with it.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Deakul posted:

Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere and actual design is great but it just feels like I've played those basic spooky barn levels a billion times already with other games.
Cool to know though, I'll try to stick with it.

Probably the beginning of EP2

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks to the team who made this remaster! And double thanks for giving PS4/5 players the options to tweak a ton of the graphics settings, absolutely fantastic work.

Also, Quake is weird as hell. The second most common enemy has a grenade launcher? I've no idea what the hell is happening, but I think I like it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

IronicDongz posted:

For anyone who doesn't know, for some reason backwards movement is slower than forwards movement in this remaster. (It's not originally.)

You can change it back to the original value with "seta cl_backspeed 400.0" in the console.

This explains why the super knights were always on me when trying to back away but I never had this issue in OG quake.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Thanks to the team who made this remaster! And double thanks for giving PS4/5 players the options to tweak a ton of the graphics settings, absolutely fantastic work.

Also, Quake is weird as hell. The second most common enemy has a grenade launcher? I've no idea what the hell is happening, but I think I like it.

the ogre is one of the best stock enemies in an old shooter precisely because of how it makes you play to avoid them and take them down

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Amid Evil is beautiful to look at but I found the environments extremely easy to get lost in and somewhat repetitive and I'm pretty sure I ended up fizzling out before finishing all of the worlds. I greatly prefer Dusk's style of level design.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Andrigaar posted:

[drive]:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Quake\rerelease\movies

You can delete the movie files or rename the folder. It'll almost instantly go from the launching window to walking toward the grenade launcher in the start-up demo.

lol you don't even need to do that

g_showintromovie 0

For most people having stutter step issues. Disable max framerate, disable vsync. Limit your fps through the driver control panel.

Also, scr_screenscale to make the hud/crosshair not giant.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

david_a posted:

It’s just a term for the code involved in the actual gameplay portion of the game that’s simulating a virtual world, so the physics, enemy behavior, etc. I don’t know how standard of a term it is; maybe it’s used in modern games since those engines are considerably more modular than Doom & Quake. One does not simply swap out the physics engine in Doom, for example, (I mean it barely has one) but that’s probably possible in Unity or Unreal.

Ok, I see. So it's more of an abstraction than the implementation details.
It makes sense at a high level to generalize what's going on under the hood, but normally I think of engines as just rendering code + physics code + in-game scripting. As far as re-implementing a classic engine, those are all measurable things that can be re-implemented in whatever way is necessary for a modern port, just as long as the inputs and outputs are the same.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is this your first time with Quake? I'd say I envy you, but to me, the game hasn't gotten old, so I'm having just as much fun playing it now than I did before, maybe moreso.

Also, I can't check now, but can anyone tell me the max FOV for Switch?

Can... Can I slam that up to 360° and become a spider ranger?! :getin:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Amid Evil is beautiful to look at but I found the environments extremely easy to get lost in and somewhat repetitive and I'm pretty sure I ended up fizzling out before finishing all of the worlds. I greatly prefer Dusk's style of level design.

Some of the worlds in AE are better looking and overall better designed than others. It’s kind of a patchy game because they sort of had to reinvent the wheel with each episode. Magic world and The Void are the best two but unfortunately the last two as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

The Quake playsim source this uses has to be available somewhere due to the GPL, right?
Id still owns the copyright to the Quake code and can re-license it for other purposes as needed, they just can't use code from GPL ports in those non-GPL versions.

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017
Any suggestions on stick / motion sensor sensitivity settings for Quake on switch in handheld mode? I always buy and adore the id games on switch but I feel so terrible playing them, strafe aiming in y axis with those tiny analog sticks feels so unbearably clunky with my adult sized hands. I've tried the motion sensor controls on every fps game where they're available and can't ever find a setting that feels right to use in combination with regular stick aiming. Then you throw autoaim option on top of that and it's too many variables for my smoothbrain.

renzollama fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 20, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deakul posted:

How long does Dusk take to really shine? Played a couple of levels and was left completely underwhelmed and even bored by the environments.

On the flipside, Amid Evil hooked me instantly with its gorgeous... everything really.

It's good from the beginning but ups the ante with each episode.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

lol you don't even need to do that

g_showintromovie 0

For most people having stutter step issues. Disable max framerate, disable vsync. Limit your fps through the driver control panel.

Also, scr_screenscale to make the hud/crosshair not giant.

thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Johnny Joestar posted:

if you're having weird issues with how the remaster feels then you absolutely need to fiddle with some of the settings

Yeah weirdly I had outlines on all my ui elements until I turned Vsync off