Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The walls of Minas Tirith had trebuchets, which can hurl much larger objects. Makes it much more likely to hit a siege tower or kill many more people.

Kinda liked how in the movies the trebuchets were hurling like large chunks of city walls that had maybe crumbled or were left over from the building of the city or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

I mean their main usefulness is in knocking down walls of fortifications, right? How effective can they be in like, dispersing crowds of attackers or precision-hitting other siege engines?

They were also used to toss things over walls, like the severed heads of your enemy as psychological warfare, poo poo on fire, or diseased corpses in an early form of biological warfare.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

I mean their main usefulness is in knocking down walls of fortifications, right? How effective can they be in like, dispersing crowds of attackers or precision-hitting other siege engines?

They were mostly used for removing the crenellations and soldiers from the walls. I don't know if they ever actually knocked walls down.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The same as cannons on a Napoleonic battlefield. The Romans used artillery (catapults, ballistae) in field battles for a thousand years. They are very effective against heavily armored or massed infantry even outside the context of a siege.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

Counterbattery was absolutely a thing, and there's plenty of fortifications to reduce on the sieging army's side as well. I can't recall reading anything about anti-infantry use for trebuchet specifically.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tolkien implies there was some kind of artillery on the walls of Minas Tirith but that the besieging army had bigger and better ones. I don’t think he ever specifies what type of machine they were using.

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

Defensive artillery is pretty effective as a deterrent. You probably can’t really count on precise aim but if the enemy is trying to take the city by storm, they do have to gather en masse inside your range to do it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

trebuchets weren't mobile, and other siege engines weren't very fast either, so even if your engines weren't very accurate, your enemy couldn't start dodging their missiles

and as mossyfisk said, the siegers often had their own fortifications

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

It occurs to me that things like catapults are almost exclusively offensive weaponry, and ever since the Last Alliance the Good Guys have been almost 100% on the defensive.

Númenor had all kinds of technology (Tolkien apparently had toyed with the idea of them having mechanized warfare and even steam engines and flying machines) but you see where that got them. Considering the almost exclusively defensive posture of the West throughout the story it's pretty clear what JRRT's attitude toward the morality of war was in general.

It got them pretty far til Sauron tricked them into attacking God. Numenor's army at its height was so impressive that Sauron's servants said "nah gently caress this I'm out" and left him alone. Unfortunately they decided to make Sauron into an advisor afterwards and yeah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, it was kind of the hubris I was meaning to allude to there.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ChubbyChecker posted:

no, they can be, and also were used historically as defensive weapons in sieges

Kingdom of Heaven has them used by the defenders of Jerusalem, and Legolas Balian carefully lets his men mark stones outside the walls to gauge their range. I have no idea if that has any basis in history, though.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Trebuchets are a bit much for defensive artillery. Historically it was far more likely to be things like ballistae mounted on the walls so you could harass people with big scary arrows at a range they can't return fire from. . Most actual fortified towns or fortresses just would not have had enough room to sacrifice for huge defensive artillery like trebuchets. it takes up a bunch of space that can be homes, armories, etc. Minas Tirith on the other hand absolutely can find space for them, especially with the multiple sets of walls allowing for extreme ranges to be reached. As they are shown in the movie, if you knew the ranges you could certainly use them to cause a bunch of mayhem as no one LIKES having to worry about big rocks falling from the sky and then bouncing or roiling through formations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just rows and rows of ballistae like it's the end of Game of Thrones.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Data Graham posted:

Interesting

Historically catapults were often used in defense, and they weren't particularly effective at knocking down walls. They were arguably more effective in defense used to throw debris and burning pitch at advancing enemies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They were good for knocking down hoardings and crenellations that provided cover for men on top of the walls. Then you could shoot them with arrows.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It’s been years since I read The Alexiad, but it covers heaps of sieges and Anna Komnena has the habit of vaguely referring to "engines" and leaving it at that.

Zopotantor posted:

Kingdom of Heaven has them used by the defenders of Jerusalem, and Legolas Balian carefully lets his men mark stones outside the walls to gauge their range. I have no idea if that has any basis in history, though.

It's an incredible siege scene, anyway. I'll have to watch it again.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Was watching The Green Knight tonight in which Sean Harris plays the king, and I think he would've made a better Aragorn than Vigo. I love Vigo and he was good as Strider but I never bought him when he was supposed to look regal. Harris can look scruffy too but he cleans up better as a king.

And

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah he was a good Strider and not-as-good Elessar.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I like how in the movies Theoden isn't just stupid and old he's actually magically enchanted and instead of getting invigorated by fresh air and sunshine he's revived by Gandalf magic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 21, 2021

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Reading the first book again, I started to wonder over the nature of the Old Forest, and what drives it to be so devious. I suppose the root cause (heh) is, like with all wicked things, the corruption of Morgoth, but the animosity between the forest trees and the Bucklanders intrigue me. The Hedge was apparently cultivated and maintained specifically because of the threat from the woods, but so far I haven't really found a stated purpose to this hostility.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

Reading the first book again, I started to wonder over the nature of the Old Forest, and what drives it to be so devious. I suppose the root cause (heh) is, like with all wicked things, the corruption of Morgoth, but the animosity between the forest trees and the Bucklanders intrigue me. The Hedge was apparently cultivated and maintained specifically because of the threat from the woods, but so far I haven't really found a stated purpose to this hostility.

Huorns without Ents? Also the influence of Old Man Willow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Old Forest is all that's left of the westernmost side of the greatwood and the trees are rather ornery as a result.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Trees don’t like people because people—even decent people who aren’t openly intent on turning all of nature into a standing reserve for industrial production—think of it as necessary to kill them, cut them into bits, burn the bits, and take the land they live on. The trees of the Old Forest seem pretty much resigned to this state of affairs, they’re not leading crusades to wipe out the hobbits or anything, but whoever goes onto their turf is fair game.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

skasion posted:

Trees don’t like people because people—even decent people who aren’t openly intent on turning all of nature into a standing reserve for industrial production—think of it as necessary to kill them, cut them into bits, burn the bits, and take the land they live on. The trees of the Old Forest seem pretty much resigned to this state of affairs, they’re not leading crusades to wipe out the hobbits or anything, but whoever goes onto their turf is fair game.

This happens entirely because the elves thought it would be fun to talk to the trees, mind you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it’s all just that ATHF episode where the trees skin Carl, just a little less direct about it

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

This happens entirely because the elves thought it would be fun to talk to the trees, mind you.

It's good that the trees can defend themselves.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still think the best line in the Silmarillion is the thing where Aulë is like "Nonetheless they will have need for wood" and goes back to hammering. The tone of that sentence, just so flippant and tongue-in-cheek and full of portent for the future, in the middle of all that sonorous Greek Gods stuff, it just cracks me up

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Data Graham posted:

Still think the best line in the Silmarillion is the thing where Aulë is like "Nonetheless they will have need for wood" and goes back to hammering. The tone of that sentence, just so flippant and tongue-in-cheek and full of portent for the future, in the middle of all that sonorous Greek Gods stuff, it just cracks me up

Yeah, it’s a line thast makes you pause, for sure.
Second best line is that description of Tulkas as a being interested solely in punching faces and laughing, followed by "...of no avail as a counsellor, but a hardy friend."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Data Graham posted:

I mean it’s all just that ATHF episode where the trees skin Carl, just a little less direct about it

quote:

Merry and Pippin dragged themselves forward and lay down with their backs to the willow-trunk. Behind them the great cracks gaped wide to receive them as the tree swayed and creaked. They looked up at the grey and yellow leaves, moving softly against the light, and singing. They shut their eyes, and then it seemed that they could almost hear words, cool words, saying something about tree jail.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Merry and Pippin dragged themselves forward and lay down with their backs to the willow-trunk. Behind them the great cracks gaped wide to receive them as the tree swayed and creaked. They looked up at the grey and yellow leaves, moving softly against the light, and singing. They shut their eyes, and then it seemed that they could almost hear words, cool words, saying something about tree jail lmao.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
lotr but every time sam takes a step towards mordor he says it'll be the farthest he's ever been: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHzF5KnoN20

It is over 9 hours long. You're welcome.

my favorite comments:

quote:

Average K
5 months ago
Stop calling this a free movie. This is the highest price I’ve ever paid to watch LoTR.

Pan Z
1 month ago
The Greatest anti-piracy edit of all time. Makes you want to buy the actual film so you can go 10-minutes without Sam having a life epiphany.

arrye
1 week ago (edited)
Me: enjoying a few seconds of actual footage (7:26:38)
Aragorn: "On your feet, Sam." (7:27:24)
Me: oh no

Aric Montgomery
9 months ago (edited)
The person who made this TERRIFIES me. Anyone capable of this much dedication to such a mild bit is not to be trifled with.

Dimolicious
1 week ago
Aragorn: "Move your feet"
Me: Sam, please don't!!

mr
1 month ago
The sheer un-watchability of this video is brilliant.

Spicy Lemon
1 month ago
The comments have made me aware that this isn’t just some silly 30 second video

This is actually the entire loving movie

Hamilton Kelly
11 months ago
Bruh imagine sprinting from a Balrog and your homie stops every time he takes a step to marvel about how far he is from home

Original Addict
5 months ago
Overall, I found it to be a good movie, but the dialogue was a little predictable.

Workspace
3 days ago
this really makes you appreciate that LOTR doesn't have sam repeating a scene from the beginning over and over

Wolf10K
3 weeks ago
i find it ridiculous that this edit made the fellowship of the ring just as long as the whole non-extended edition trilogy. theres literally a minute difference in run time.

Casonhall
4 hours ago
Sam becomes the unintentional antagonist because you hyperfocus on him, fearing every moment he is on screen that his legs will start moving.

Trailer Trash
3 days ago
This is literally the biggest troll video I've ever seen

HIJK fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 23, 2021

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Alright so the runtime of the film is 178 minutes. Runtime of that video is 9 hrs 18 min or 558 minutes, so there's 380 minutes of the Sam scene. The Sam scene is about 24 seconds long which means, according to the creator of that video, Sam takes 950 steps in the movie, roughly. Give or take like 40 steps.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Re: catapult, trebuchet and siege talk

I don't know if these blog post series have made an appearance ITT (I suspect they might've), but a military historian dude does a deep dive on Helm's Deep and Pelennor/Siege of Minas Tirith in the books and films. They're pretty fun and interesting

https://acoup.blog/2019/05/10/collections-the-siege-of-gondor/

https://acoup.blog/2020/05/01/collections-the-battle-of-helms-deep-part-i-bargaining-for-goods-at-helms-gate/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His siege of gondor series is fantastic for striking at the core of Tolkien's philosophy on conflict. There is never any doubt that the men of the west can prevent through feat of arms. What is in question is their will to fight. The Jackson films work on escalation to build tension, a back and forth between Mordor and Gondor where they each play trump cards to gain the upper hand. Tolkien's battlefield is psychological, where the hopes of victory and the despair brought on by fear and terror are more potent than any invincible ghost army crawling up an elephant like termites. The will to fight and to succeed can beat any numbers game.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Alright so the runtime of the film is 178 minutes. Runtime of that video is 9 hrs 18 min or 558 minutes, so there's 380 minutes of the Sam scene. The Sam scene is about 24 seconds long which means, according to the creator of that video, Sam takes 950 steps in the movie, roughly. Give or take like 40 steps.

Well the description implies it only counts if the steps are in the direction of Mordor.so discount some of the very first scenes and everything post-Mount Doom.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like the Incredible Tulk should be higher on the power level.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah, pretty sure Tulkas is the one true king of kicking rear end and taking names, he scares the poo poo out of Morgoth. Also where the hell is Orome, the wise yet still pretty powerful.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sauron having a higher power level than Huan, just lmao

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lolling at Turin having negative wisdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

System Metternich posted:

lolling at Turin having negative wisdom

Yeah that’s the best part