Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
p99 discord red channel is some of the saddest poo poo i've seen ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How so? That's where I played a few years ago because of the xp bonus.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've never understood how the xp bonus is worth the trade-off of there being fewer people on the entire server than in the EC tunnel on the others.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never understood how the xp bonus is worth the trade-off of there being fewer people on the entire server than in the EC tunnel on the others.

Hmm, I mean the population was lower but it never felt empty because of global chat. And you'd get to know folks in your zone and rough level range as you grouped together and went on adventures. Most people weren't super into player killing, and the ones that were had fun reputations as villains which added some tension when someone noticed they entered your zone.

I dunno, I never played on blue and this was before green came out, so maybe I would have had way more fun on blue, but the thread at the time was all playing on red so that's where I joined.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

They're very sad about the state of red, and want a new red since it's existed for nearly 10 years like how blue got a green.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Red is weird and not for everyone, but global chat definitely helps with the otherwise low pop and empty zones. There's about the same ratio of toxic assholes to nice people as on the PVE servers, but the toxic assholes can ruin more aspects of your game than just raiding or taking up a zone with PLing or something like that. The XP bonus definitely makes it faster to level there if you have a crew even with interruptions from PVP, but your chill leveling experience can and will be interrupted with some frequency especially as you get higher level or if you play in standard leveling zones.

Honestly, of the PVP during leveling that I ever experienced on there, the majority of the time it would be people on their twinks just seeing if they could 1v6 your party. Most of them would log off after a few minutes or after they killed you. Sometimes they'd bring a high level character over and buff/PL your party for a little bit afterwards as a way of saying thanks for the PVP. Maybe 10% of the time it would be a toxic rear end in a top hat who was just trying to grief you and would train/KS/etc. if they couldn't manage to be successful in straight PVP. Logging off was usually the best solution in those cases, but I think the prospect of this happening is what keeps most people from trying Red.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anyway I did the easy stuff someone kill the big troll in Mistmoore and "Sir" Lucan d'Lere for me thank you.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kild posted:

They're very sad about the state of red, and want a new red since it's existed for nearly 10 years like how blue got a green.

i dont get it. do they want to restart progress or something? I figured it was mainly a pvp serverand you'd want nice loot.

unless their idea of pvp fun is just ganking people ten levels lower than them for hours then yeah i'd see why they would cry

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

When I played it I played with a group of friends and so even though the server was mostly empty it was still fun to log in and go wherever we wanted and also level faster.

If I were playing by myself and not with a dedicated group of friends then yeah I'd definitely not do that server.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Dizz posted:

i dont get it. do they want to restart progress or something? I figured it was mainly a pvp serverand you'd want nice loot.

unless their idea of pvp fun is just ganking people ten levels lower than them for hours then yeah i'd see why they would cry

EQ isn't built to last multiple years. The economy lasts 2 years at most and then implodes. It's good and cool to have regular resets imo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Got a pegasus cape let's loving gooooo

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It only took what, 8 hours?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah about 8 - broke my item camping cherry on the cape. I'd never done anything besides waiting on a drop someplace I was actually grinding xp at before Quilly.

Sucks it turns out the Splitpawers were right - the xp is insane this is like Kurns again. Wish the cowards hadn't done the ZEM change I need my Mistmoore drops.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 23, 2021

darkroast
Apr 8, 2019
Is there a goon presence on green or blue? I played years ago and just got the itch again. Have a 51 NEC, 40 mnk, and 25 dru on blue but I'd start on green if that's where the action is. No real interest in raid drama with just a couple hours a day available

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

darkroast posted:

Is there a goon presence on green or blue? I played years ago and just got the itch again. Have a 51 NEC, 40 mnk, and 25 dru on blue but I'd start on green if that's where the action is. No real interest in raid drama with just a couple hours a day available

Theres at least 5 of us on green with 4 recently starting

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

darkroast posted:

I feel like im the only goon on blue, and im definitely neck deep in the raid drama. Which is impossibly dumb. The P99 UN discord is an incredible source of cringe.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m on green and the raid drama is fun to watch from a distance

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I feel like we're probably going to get hit with a 2 week raid ban. The former top guild petitions us for everything, even stuff the GMs have explicitly said is kosher. So they usually catch a concurrent ban for being annoying. Putting in bag limits did not help anything, if anything the raid scene is even more toxic than before.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I went and googled bag limits to catch up and imagine this hasn't helped the rules lawyering element

I'm too soft and just play on the daybreak TLPs where I get my weekly instanced loot pellets

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Lakedaimon posted:

I feel like we're probably going to get hit with a 2 week raid ban. The former top guild petitions us for everything, even stuff the GMs have explicitly said is kosher. So they usually catch a concurrent ban for being annoying. Putting in bag limits did not help anything, if anything the raid scene is even more toxic than before.

Which guild are you in again?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

I feel like im the only goon on blue, and im definitely neck deep in the raid drama. Which is impossibly dumb. The P99 UN discord is an incredible source of cringe.

Do tell :swoon:

on TAKP we have a GM-enforced raid rotation which works reasonably well. there's no first-to-engage bullshit for KT or ToV or whatever. but there still manages to be drama between guild leadership, especially as up&coming guilds want to break into the raid rotations and neckbeards get enraged that they'll get to raid Vex Thal less often to gear their 6th alt. pixels are some loving real serious poo poo.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

e- oops

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man how did anyone raid on live servers when the population was 3-4 times higher?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Raid alliances, rotations, and lots and lots of drama. So pretty much like P99. Guilds and raids were often larger as well, partially because people had poo poo gear and poorer understanding of game mechanics than they do now.

I remember when the first round of server splits happened and it was a huge deal which raiding guilds were going and which were staying. My server (The Rathe) was definitely less awful once half of the higher end guilds left for Zebuxoruk.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My brother was a hardcore raider on our server's top guild but since I'd long left the game I never asked him how that went. One time he did explain getting keyed to me and I couldn't understand going through all that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Groovelord Neato posted:

Man how did anyone raid on live servers when the population was 3-4 times higher?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Raid alliances, rotations, and lots and lots of drama. So pretty much like P99. Guilds and raids were often larger as well, partially because people had poo poo gear and poorer understanding of game mechanics than they do now.

I remember when the first round of server splits happened and it was a huge deal which raiding guilds were going and which were staying. My server (The Rathe) was definitely less awful once half of the higher end guilds left for Zebuxoruk.

In addition to that, it wasn't like today where in every MMO you raid the latest expac only. I mean, sure, your WoW guild might run some old raids for achieves / mounts / transmogs. But in EQ, lesser guilds (like mine!) would run raids for 1-2 expansions ago for gear all the time. We'd dip our toes into current, but we just weren't good enough for that. Things were more spread out.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

My brother was a hardcore raider on our server's top guild but since I'd long left the game I never asked him how that went. One time he did explain getting keyed to me and I couldn't understand going through all that.

I quit along with pretty much my entire guild during Luclin, and a big part of that was VT keys. I managed to get mine before we could get enough people in to kill much, and so spent hours a day holding camps and helping guildmates get pieces while other guilds were trying to do the same and generally being dicks to each other constantly.

xZAOx posted:

In addition to that, it wasn't like today where in every MMO you raid the latest expac only. I mean, sure, your WoW guild might run some old raids for achieves / mounts / transmogs. But in EQ, lesser guilds (like mine!) would run raids for 1-2 expansions ago for gear all the time. We'd dip our toes into current, but we just weren't good enough for that. Things were more spread out.

Yeah if my guild had said, yknow what, gently caress this new xpac and just chilled doing Velious stuff until PoP came out I probably would have kept playing and maybe learned how to do the casual MMO thing with EQ.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Which guild are you in again?

I'm in Vanquish and having a blast. Wish my experience on Live had been half as good as this.

With all the heavily geared characters and 60s, the raid scene is wild. Many 3 day and 7 bosses are engaged within minutes, if not seconds, of spawning. Trash mobs are kited or trained away or DAd through. Killing a mob like Vulak while your guild occupies 6-7 flurry drakes is something else.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’m getting monk epic soon, possibly next week

Super hyped, never had an epic monk before.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
ohno, if you're still lurking the thread I managed to pick up most of the parts for Greenmist for 500pp in the EC tunnel. That trout slapping Shadow knight is about to get some upgrades.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

When I played on live, my server originally had an uberguild (or so I was told), but because the game was so popular and the servers so overcrowded, they started giving you the option of transferring to new servers. To our surprise, this top guild all left and went to the new server. According to a website this was in December 2000, so about a year and a half after the original launch.

So this left 6 higher end guilds on the server, and for whatever reason they coalesced into 3 pairings that would team up for anything serious. I was eventually in the third pairing. I remember doing raids into like PoG and killing Tunare during what was probably the middle of Luclin. Killing Emperor Ssra was probably my high water mark on live, I was chronically undergeared and underlevelled and quit early into PoP when I missed some of the flags and couldnt really raid anymore.

Bosses would sometimes be up for hours or days. I definitely remember getting killed by Gorenaire just trying to cross the Dreadlands and get some xp in Karnor's. I distinctly remember a NToV raid where at least 4 of the big dragons were up when we went in, and we spent the whole night working our way through all of them - Iki, Dagarn, Lady M, Jorl if memory serves.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Congrats in advance! Having full time spell haste and another clicky is super nice. Really helps out your soloing and small group game and good vs. dispelling mobs in raids. I dunno if they've messed with melee push much since I quit playing, but if not you'll also be able to solo caster mobs quite easily with your 9/16 hasted fists (usually even with a high ratio offhand) since you can push them hard enough that they can't get any but the shortest cast time spells off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

One step closer to SoulFire...

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Been having a blast on TAKP just being lowbies and fuckin around with garbage bin loot people leave behind. Raccoon EQ is the only EQ worth playing

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

Been having a blast on TAKP just being lowbies and fuckin around with garbage bin loot people leave behind. Raccoon EQ is the only EQ worth playing

What are your names? I will unload random garbage on you, you adorable trash panda!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know there's some higher level Kunark zone where people will just leave pretty good poo poo to rot but I can't remember which zone it was.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Jarsath Scale in Karnor's rots frequently as it's nodrop and not amazing for most people killing stuff in there. Solid to excellent for a paladin noob though, and it's really light weight. But it can be dangerous to run around in KC if you're not familiar with the zone.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Jarsath_Scale_Armor

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Congrats in advance! Having full time spell haste and another clicky is super nice. Really helps out your soloing and small group game and good vs. dispelling mobs in raids. I dunno if they've messed with melee push much since I quit playing, but if not you'll also be able to solo caster mobs quite easily with your 9/16 hasted fists (usually even with a high ratio offhand) since you can push them hard enough that they can't get any but the shortest cast time spells off.

Push doesn’t interrupt spells anymore, now each attack is like a 2% interrupt or something. And yeah when I get it my soloing will become so so good.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Push doesn’t interrupt spells anymore, now each attack is like a 2% interrupt or something. And yeah when I get it my soloing will become so so good.

I can tell you against raid mobs, push does nothing. You *might* get lucky with a bash interrupting a spell, but against anything that gates or CHs the only "safe" strategy is to have like 3-4+ enchanters chaining sieves then occasionally checking with theft of thought to see if any mana is left. All it takes is about a full server tick without a sieve and a raid boss can regen enough mana to gate, which is ultra annoying.

Monk epic will always be special to me because its the only one I actually had on live. Still kinda amazed I got enough help from my guild to finish it, but fortunately one of the real girls in the guild thought I was funny and she could talk lovestruck dorks into helping. On P99 I managed to not only get another, but buy a rogue epic MQ when they were cheap (and you could still wield at level 1). Just finished my Wizard epic a couple months ago, only took 11+ years! Its definitely a gamechanger for raids, you can actually strafe in, drop a nuke and get out without losing a huge chunk of hp to AOEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Lakedaimon posted:

Just finished my Wizard epic a couple months ago, only took 11+ years! Its definitely a gamechanger for raids, you can actually strafe in, drop a nuke and get out without losing a huge chunk of hp to AOEs.

My man. I just did mine recently too (well, on TAKP) and it's a real treat. We did a Velketor kill a few months ago and I got a Vermilion Robe of Torrefaction. Now my wiz is like... ABC, man. Always Be Castin.