Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

euphronius posted:

is virulent nonsymptomatic spread good or bad ?

100% of chickens die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Thoguh posted:

Plus with testing being in the dumpster and people in general being less inclined to worry about non-severe symptoms I bet we are catching a way lower portion of mild COVID cases as well.

yeah, the idea that the vaccine takes something dangerous a lot of the time for non immunocompromised people and turns it into something that could feel like bad allergies for a few days is not actually a heartening statistic.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

well, it is in the sense that less death and suffering are good, but it also isn't in that person is not going to think "I have Covid" and going to stay home or get tested or whatever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Thoguh posted:

I think there are two things happening. The first is the same as we saw last summer - places where people go inside for air conditioning get hit harder and faster than places where the weather allows for more outside activities. I think that we're seeing a repeat of that this year. The second is that I think more vaccinated areas probably have a lower effective R_0 value so it takes them longer to hit the vertical part of the exponential curve.

Plus just in general most of the waves last year were regional in nature and just rolled across different areas of the country at different times.

This pretty much lines up with what I was thinking. The vaccines do help reduce how bad things are, even though they're not the magic bullet that our rear end in a top hat CDC has been pitching them as, but anything that encourages people to be inside together (especially with recirculating air with garbage filtration systems) is going to ramp that poo poo up. It's probably a question of where the tipping point is between how vaccinated an area is (and how much time has elapsed since folks were vaccinated), and how much time they're spending inside together.

This also means winter's gonna be some seriously bad news unless we end up like India with almost everybody having had COVID (in which case, we delay the next wave of mass sickness for an extra couple of months, maybe).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

fosborb posted:

good lord

Unironic Roll Tears, jfc

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Glumwheels posted:

My work just said return to office is now January 2022 lmao, yeah ok.

lol every other month another "ok maybe not this time lets push it a bit further out"

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Kreeblah posted:

This pretty much lines up with what I was thinking. The vaccines do help reduce how bad things are, even though they're not the magic bullet that our rear end in a top hat CDC has been pitching them as, but anything that encourages people to be inside together (especially with recirculating air with garbage filtration systems) is going to ramp that poo poo up. It's probably a question of where the tipping point is between how vaccinated an area is (and how much time has elapsed since folks were vaccinated), and how much time they're spending inside together.

This also means winter's gonna be some seriously bad news unless we end up like India with almost everybody having had COVID (in which case, we delay the next wave of mass sickness for an extra couple of months, maybe).

The winter concerns are going to be primarily about a new, more dangerous variant. Delta moves too quickly for it to take that long to hit the peak.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

Plus with testing being in the dumpster and people in general being less inclined to worry about non-severe symptoms I bet we are catching a way lower portion of mild COVID cases as well.

Yeah the cfr is pretty much the same as always, look at the goon tracker matching curves so easily regardless of variant

Means we aren't catching barely any asymptomatic vaccinated cases

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/anaceballos_/status/1428745374152409090?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

you WILL spread covid

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Schnorkles posted:

well, it is in the sense that less death and suffering are good, but it also isn't in that person is not going to think "I have Covid" and going to stay home or get tested or whatever.

Exactly. Delta changing Covid symptom presentation to more closely resemble colds/allergies was a :master:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Trip report third Pfizer dose, at my local Kroger pharmacy. Told them I was on remicade for my Crohn's which is one of the TNF inhibitors they opened it up for.

They were confused at first but pharmacist looked it up and now I have slut juice coursing through my veins.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol they're definitely doing the "winnow the weak from the strong" poo poo and they're not being particularly subtle about it either

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

you WILL spread covid

Maybe Desantis is actually a secret Nurgle Cultist?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jon Irenicus posted:

the question is: why isn't it exploding yet in places like PA, NY, MA, and MI yet? I assume Delta got a firm grip on the unvaccinated in the greater south, but Open Biden happened everywhere

MI case numbers are 6x or greater what they were at the end of June.

aside from that, most schools dont open for another couple weeks here.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Glumwheels posted:

My work just said return to office is now January 2022 lmao, yeah ok.

They just pushed our date to late October. For now.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
My neighbors company just said gently caress it and went remote permanently. He's going to wfh from a beach in Mexico.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/youngestwoman/status/1428720287382654977
she's meltin' down hard

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

etalian posted:

Maybe Desantis is actually a secret Nurgle Cultist?

He literally gets money every time someone needs regeneron

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Denying care for gender therapy, birth control, STDs, and abortions still cool though.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

i have little hope that oster's credibility and career will ever be bludgeoned and buried by the shovels of mass shaming over this incitement to murder

Otter_Sauce
Mar 2, 2019

~Yikes~

gently caress man. Why does reality got to be

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I went to Costco last night to do a final stock-up before poo poo gets really dire and cold weather sets in and you wouldn't know anything was wrong. Piles of non-masked folks, full parking lots at the restaurants, people shopping without a care in the world. And this is one of the better areas for pandemic hygiene and vaccination.

Once someone in a national position of power acknowledges that we're heading into a raft of poo poo the panic is going to set in and it's not going to be pretty.

See I see this argument but like what if these people never panic. Like poo poo, the first time that we lockdown people didn't have their minds consumed by politics and they didn't know what to expect from covid. But now, they have Donald trump as their shield or they have open Biden or whatever the gently caress. Like I feel like the responsible thing to do is take it seriously, but we have learned that over time, people just don't have the patience to care atm, like at all. I mean I still stocked up though, in case I'm wrong. :byodood:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

lol remote learning is outlawed

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I wish some anti-abortionists would find out Regeneron is made of fetus stem cells and go protest these stupid clinics

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Der Meister posted:

man im like, feeling really sad today

where is my heart warming anger and rage

moderna 3 will enlarge your heart the way you wan

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
REGENETRON 5000

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

zegermans posted:

waking up every morning googling to see if Cardinal Burke is dead

I didn't realize this ghoul had COVID.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

will it be this week? Next week? Im ready to get this show on the road here

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Atrocious Joe posted:

I didn't realize this ghoul had COVID.

Bidens will absolutely attend his funeral

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mr. Pizza posted:

will it be this week? Next week? Im ready to get this show on the road here

2nd week of September will be incredibly bad

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Otter_Sauce posted:

gently caress man. Why does reality got to be

the images coming out of India during peak delta were really, really hard to handle sometimes.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

space chandeliers posted:

i have little hope that oster's credibility and career will ever be bludgeoned and buried by the shovels of mass shaming over this incitement to murder

The idiot economics PhD holder is trying to walk away from her masks are useless for kids “study” now that kids are dying in Florida? gently caress her

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Birdsite is starting to get more and more chatter screaming for a national teacher strike.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Biowarfare posted:

lol every other month another "ok maybe not this time lets push it a bit further out"

That's how my work does it. They wait until the very last minute and then say, "one more month"

We just started WFH again this week, so I'm good until the week of Labor Day. Of course this is all entirely based on the CDC using a red color for the county, when it drops back down to orange, it's time for opener up again.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my friends with young kids are split between the families trying to con the school into letting their child attend class remotely, and the families happy to take photos of their maskless preschooler in class with a bunch of other maskless preschoolers.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am still operating on a 30 day remote work policy instituted 17 months ago.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Why the gently caress hasn't Biden issued SOME sort of order for masks or vaccinations in the schools. He should threaten any school district with a withdrawal of federal funds that doesn't require it - and frankly the DOJ should file charges against school board members who vote to let children die.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Iron Crowned posted:

That's how my work does it. They wait until the very last minute and then say, "one more month"

We just started WFH again this week, so I'm good until the week of Labor Day. Of course this is all entirely based on the CDC using a red color for the county, when it drops back down to orange, it's time for opener up again.

6 quarters in a row of cancelling our return date and we still have hour long meetings and mandatory trainings about what it will be like to go back. "When we return to the office in $month here's what you can expect"

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

AwesomeDude posted:

This might be a dumb question and the answer is probably “just buy more” (or get a respirator which I did do), but is there any reason I couldn’t use one of those UV disinfection boxes for phones on a used K94 mask?

I think you could but you could also just leave it out in the sun for a bit. And I don't think you really need to bother with either if you're rotating through like five of them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

in an ideal world i'd like it to be illegal or at least extreme negligence/manslaughter-tier liability if you have a job that can be done remotely in any way and still being forced to come in for no reason during a pandemic