Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

13 and The Fold are good fun. I wouldn't bother reading the 2 semi-sequels of Dead Moon and Terminus however.

I haven't read Terminus yet, but I thought Dead Moon was a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deptfordx posted:

14 and The Fold are good fun. I wouldn't bother reading the 2 semi-sequels of Dead Moon and Terminus however.

Fixed.

I actually enjoyed Terminus because it highlighted how much of an rear end in a top hat Aleksander Koturovich was (also I liked Tim in 14, and Veek was right that it was good to have a replacement for him by the end of that book). Haven't read Dead Moon yet because I missed it being part of the series.

Paradox Bound was also pretty good, though it was yet another universe.

Guess I better backtrack and read his superheroes vs. zombies series to see if it's any good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Everyone posted:

I'm not sure what thread to post this in but the the new Joe Ledger book is goooooooood.
How is it compared to Rage? That felt really, really derivative; I think it comes with being a comics writer but Maberry sure loves recycling villains.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Guess I better backtrack and read his superheroes vs. zombies series to see if it's any good.

They're also pretty good if you're in the mood.

Definitely follows the "Read them till you stop enjoying them" rule, and I maybe wouldn't read the whole series back to back in one hit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

anilEhilated posted:

How is it compared to Rage? That felt really, really derivative; I think it comes with being a comics writer but Maberry sure loves recycling villains.

I liked it. Of course, I also liked Rage. One thing I enjoyed is that the first third or so of the book took a break from the usual Joe Ledger first person perspective even in his scenes, so that was cool. Plus we got a bit more "Toys" in this one and I like that character a lot.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
Favours, short story in Alex Verus universe came out recently. It is Sonder PoV, and set between books 7 and 8. I was totally unimpressed, and felt that this was unnecessary. Added no real insight.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Dang too bad. I always kinda felt like his characters were very flat except for Alex. If they actually had a bit more substance to them you'd hope it would come out in a story with a different POV. Great magic and interesting plotting made a lot of the books fun but I'll probably not end up re-reading that series.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
On the other hand, Sonder is a shallow piece of poo poo. Expecting any pov story for him to be better than that is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I could not imagine reading a Sonder book, he sucks enough as a side character.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

On the other hand, Sonder is a shallow piece of poo poo. Expecting any pov story for him to be better than that is setting yourself up for disappointment.

Darkrenown posted:

I could not imagine reading a Sonder book, he sucks enough as a side character.

So I was just about to do a "WTF is wrong with you?" post. But then I realized that you were talking about Sonder, who is, yeah, kind of a weak-willed dweeb and not Cinder, badass Dark Fire McDonalds Mage.

Because I would read the poo poo out of a Cinder POV story.

And would have trouble getting through a Sonder POV paragraph.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It feels like a lot of people look down on Alex for being "bad" and making the choices he did, but stan Cinder, a literal mass murdering sociopath. I've never really understood this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Cinder never lied about who he is.

Alex lies to everyone, including himself, about who he is.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bhodi posted:

It feels like a lot of people look down on Alex for being "bad" and making the choices he did, but stan Cinder, a literal mass murdering sociopath. I've never really understood this.

In addition to what biracial bear said, in the Verus universe magical society light and dark is entirely composed of manipulative and / or violent sociopaths; that’s not really a distinguishing feature.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cinder feels like a manifestation of the old Pratchett line about not having morals but having standards.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Cinder feels like a manifestation of the old Pratchett line about not having morals but having standards.

Which puts him a couple of cuts above many of the characters. In some ways including Alex.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
So you would have respected Alex more if he was upfront and honest about being ruthless to protect things he cares about, and that lying is worse than violence?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Violence is the universal art, lying is just a dick move. (and lying just makes violence more likely)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bhodi posted:

So you would have respected Alex more if he was upfront and honest about being ruthless to protect things he cares about, and that lying is worse than violence?

I'd have respected Alex more if he hadn't given up.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bhodi posted:

I think I'd respect Alex more if he'd been upfront and honest with the readers and himself. He's more ruthless now because he has the Fateweaver so he won't suffer any negative consequences (aside from those stemming from using the Fateweaver) from being ruthless because he's got a lot of power now.

I'd have preferred to have Alex just say "I can't afford to be too mean or play too rough because I'm a Diviner and if I do, the Light Council will nail my dick to the floor" instead of "I don't want to play too rough because I want to try to be a good person."

Everyone fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 20, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Anybody else interested in the totally different Urban Fantasy series Benedict Jacka is writing now that Verus is wrapping up?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Anybody else interested in the totally different Urban Fantasy series Benedict Jacka is writing now that Verus is wrapping up?

Interested but it's realistically 18-24 months out so not excited yet.

Jacka blog posted:

If all goes perfectly, I’ll finish the book by the end of the year, about a month after Alex Verus #12 comes out. Though even if I do, the most likely release date is going to be somewhere in late 2022 or early 2023.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cinder and Alex are both terrible people. Cinder however has never denied he is a terrible person and has actually proven to be fairly forward and unfront with his attitudes. He's a terrible person but he is also probably the most trustworthy person in the series in a very weird way because he's pretty upfront and faithful. He's just the kind of faithful that means he'll immolate someone but he won't pretend he is someone who won't immolate someone.

Alex is a bad person who spent a good chunk of the series doing everything he could to take a position of "I'm not ACTUALLY a bad person, you force me to do this stuff" and while that is unarguably true it was also born from an attitude of "I shouldn't have to have consequences for my actions and behaviors" and the reason poo poo kept biting him in the rear end wasn't just because the plot hates him (though it does) but that he was desperate to cling to his vision of who he was even when he acted directly against it. Thus it's way easier to criticize Alex because the character by definition spent a lot of time lying to himself and justifying some pretty awful behaviors.

This doesn't mean Alex is iredeemable wizard hitler or anything, he's just kind of a selfish rear end in a top hat who takes a bit too much satisfaction in hurting and killing people while also not wanting to actually suffer consequences for that. And he's in the kind of book series where that behavior doesn't get shrugged off or ignored but has actual consequences more or less. Alex also can show empathy and kindness and genuine signs of goodness because he isn't one-dimensional in that particular way but at the end of the day he's capable of being immensely cruel and ruthless on a level beyond just "protecting others."

Both characters had a terrifying bodycount and have done a lot of terrible things, but for most of the series Alex would insist it was someone else's fault he did those terrible things and Cinder would say it is his own fault.

(It also makes Cinder more interesting as a dark mage than the vast majority who are just cartoonishly evil terror monsters or the majority of Light Mages who boil down to "we are literally incapable of deviating from our thought processes.")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 7, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I just finished Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House which features a very different (and considerably more interesting) Alex, Galaxy "Alex" Sterns, a 20 year old high school dropout, ex-girlfriend (and subordinate) to a failed drug dealer and survivors of a really nasty drug-related mass murder who gets an offer to attend Yale University - because she can see ghosts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Everyone posted:

I just finished Leigh Bardugo's Ninth House which features a very different (and considerably more interesting) Alex, Galaxy "Alex" Sterns, a 20 year old high school dropout, ex-girlfriend (and subordinate) to a failed drug dealer and survivors of a really nasty drug-related mass murder who gets an offer to attend Yale University - because she can see ghosts.

Good, bad, indifferent?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

torgeaux posted:

Good, bad, indifferent?

Really, really good in "Gods-dammit when does the next one come out?!" way.

I very much liked Galaxy (called Alex through most of the book) and the way she approached things. She's not a nice person, maybe not even a "good" person. She's manipulative and somewhat ruthless because that's what she had to be to survive what she's survived. As an example (spoilers follow):

At one point Alex has been badly hurt and her police contact has gone to get some supplies for a "healing" spell. Alex and another woman, Pam Dawes and are going up some stairs.

[i]"You should have let him carry you," Dawes grunted as they made their slow way up the stairs.

Alex's body was fighting every step. "Right now he feels guilty for not listening to me. I can't let him make up for it just yet."

"Why"

"Because the worse he feels, the more he'll do for us..."

That seems like the kind exploitation of a basic human insight that would probably be beyond Harry Dresden or even Alex Verus.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I just finished Between Two Fires.

I'm kinda ruined for another book for a while.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Good news, that same author wrote a bunch of stuff that could fit into this thread.

Those Across The River
The Necromancer's House
The Lesser Dead
The Suicide Motor Club

Edit: They are all standalone, but there are some character ties between The Lesser Dead and The Suicide Motor Club.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 15, 2021

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ClydeFrog posted:

Oh I've been meaning to read this one for a while now.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

docbeard posted:

Oh I've been meaning to read this one for a while now.

It’s real good. It’s very intense though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ClydeFrog posted:

Chris is a good dude, go buy and read The Blacktongue Thief if you like fantasy, and also so he can afford to quit touring so hard.

Unrelated:
New (final?) Sandman Slim on Tuesday. I had a vague memory that I series I loved had a next book in August and did a loving happy dance when I just looked it up. I'm excited.
I also think I'm going to read Verus, because I want to be able to chat in this thread and can't stand Dresden.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I've read the Suicide Motor Club, liked it very much. Just wasn't prepared for the sheer haunting lyricism of Between Two Fires. Not often a book makes me sniffle.

I like the look of Black Tongued Thief- will read that next, thanks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Btw is it just me who sees Alex Verus as Jeffrey Donovan?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Nope. I see Gildart Jackson (because that's the VA from the audiobooks).

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Is it recommended to skip the first two Dresden Files books still? Since the new one came out I've been meaning to do a reread but I know both of those were the weakest.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I do.

Now.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

Is it recommended to skip the first two Dresden Files books still? Since the new one came out I've been meaning to do a reread but I know both of those were the weakest.

I don't recommend new readers skip them because even as weak as they are, they are foundational. But if you've already read them once and still remember the plot then go for it. I generally read book one and skip book two because the FBI wolves are a little much for me in places.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

OscarDiggs posted:

They're definitely the weakest in the series, and if you've read them before you certainly know whether you need to read them again.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OscarDiggs posted:

I recommend you skip Dresden altogether unless you like the idea of supporting a COVID-denier/truther.

Check out the other stuff recommended in the OP:

quote:

The good stuff!
These are the books we here most frequently recommend, and they're all well worth your time. Buy these.

Daniel O'malley: The Rook and Stiletto: Similar to Laundry Files (see below), but less geeky and far more badass. Lots of spycraft, weird powers, and has a strong female protagonist. It's my personal favorite out of all the recommendations here. Reads like "What if the X-Men were a secret branch of the British government?" The sequel is different, but still good!

Ben Aaronovitch: Rivers of London: Constable-Wizard apprentice in London. Magic is scary and difficult and serious. This series is British as gently caress. Unfortunately, the US release date tends to lag far behind the British release date (several months or more). This series is exceptionally well-written.

Benedict Jacka: Alex Verus: Recommended by Butcher himself, the Alex Verus series is about a mage--a diviner, who can see the future in limited amounts--living in London as an independent mage caught in a cold war between Light and Dark mages. Don't worry about the stupid black-and-white nomenclature: they're all assholes, but at least one group is up front about it. Book one is called Fated.

Craig Shaefer: Daniel Faust series and Harmony Black series: Two different series, two different protagonists, all set in the same world. Daniel Faust is a grifter, a con man, who magics his way through the Vegas underworld. Harmony Black is a covert ops agent for the government, tasked with taking out magical threats. This author writes exceptionally fast, and his work is still good. His content his not anything like Brandon Sanderson, but his output is.

The good-but-not-as-good-as-the-things-above stuff.
These books are good--some even flirt with greatness--but just can't quite hold their own with those listed above.

Libriomancer: Jim C Hines: What if you could reach into a book and pull out anything from the story inside? Alice's shrinking potion. Aladdin's lamp. A lightsaber. The only limitations are that it has to fit through the pages of the book itself, and enough people have to have read the story. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, right? Johannes Gutenberg agrees, and so he founded the Proctors to hide magic from the world. Now only a select few have access, closely maintained by Gutenberg himself, for now. It's all starting to become unbound...

Seanan McGuire: October Daye series: October Daye knows how cruel Faerie can be to its changeling children. Born in San Francisco and carried to the Summerlands by her pureblood mother when she was just a child, she was raised in a world that never seemed capable of understanding her. She ran away the moment the opportunity presented itself, only to find that the human world wasn't any better. There are ten books available now. The first is Rosemary and Rue. The thread suggests that, much like Dresden, you can probably start with the third: An Artificial Night. The first two are good, but the third is where the greatness inside is revealed.

Charles Stross: The Laundry Files: Computer Wizard/Secret Agent wrapped around the Cthulhu Mythos, with heavy respect for Lovecraftian Horror. All Awesome & also British. The second book is very much a love-it-or-hate-it novel.

Paul Cornell: London Falling: Look, another London book. This one is significantly darker than most Urban Fantasy. It's a police drama/procedural into a series of murders that involve a supernatural creature. It gets pretty drat grim. The first two chapters are a total mess of rapidly-shifting PoVs, but it gets much better, very quickly. Look for the sequel, The Severed Streets.

Mike Carey: The Felix Castor Series: British exorcist fighting ghosts, demons and werewolves.

Harry Connolly: Twenty Palaces 1-3 plus Prequel: A L.A. thug gets involved with Lovecraftian horrors. Great concepts. This is an excellent series that will, sadly, probably never be finished. The books were dropped by the publisher after book 3. The author self-published a prequel. Read the prequel first. It's amazing. Book 1 starts in the middle of the main character's story. The series probably would still be going strong if the author had started at the beginning rather than in the middle like he did.

Miscellaneous others
Here are some other stories you might see mentioned here and there in the thread. Opinions are mixed on these overall, but it's worth picking up the first novel in any of the series to see if you like it.

Kevin Hearne: Iron Druid: Come for the premise (the last Druid alive pisses off the gods), stay for the sidekick, leave when the lolcats show up. Most recent book is supposedly good again, so who knows!

Kat Richardson: Greywalker: Female private investigator gets into some weird paranormal stuff. Follows the Dresden school of investigation: get a lead, get beat up, find the perp, get beat up more...and so on.

Richard Kadrey: Sandman Slim: Some guy escapes Hell and goes on a Punisher-like rampage against those that sent him there in the first place. Sort of Max Payne meets the Punisher by way of Dante's Inferno.

There are a number of other suggestions near the top of page 165 of the previous thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3501974&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=165

I haven't vetted them yet, so I cannot vouch for their quality.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Mike/M. R. Carey is a recommendation whatever genre/medium he's working in. I haven't read his Felix Castor series but everything else has been very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Doctor Jeep posted:

Mike/M. R. Carey is a recommendation whatever genre/medium he's working in. I haven't read his Felix Castor series but everything else has been very good.

Yeah, he was the guy that wrote the Lucifer comics everyone loves when that character got his own series separate from Gaiman's Sandman, right?

Also The Girl With All The Gifts (yeah, the one that was made into a movie) and some post-apocalyptic London series called the Rampart Trilogy that had it's first book published this year.