Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pillowpants posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't Biden issued SOME sort of order for masks or vaccinations in the schools. He should threaten any school district with a withdrawal of federal funds that doesn't require it - and frankly the DOJ should file charges against school board members who vote to let children die.

He thinks if he's nice to Trump supporters they will support him and the dems in the big elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Why the gently caress hasn't Biden issued SOME sort of order for masks or vaccinations in the schools. He should threaten any school district with a withdrawal of federal funds that doesn't require it - and frankly the DOJ should file charges against school board members who vote to let children die.

because the only people who will be blamed for failure is unvaccinated individuals

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kreeblah posted:

What happens in a couple weeks when they're out of inclement weather days to use?

Extend the school year.

The real question is what happens when the school year ends after the next one begins.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Desantis is a war profiteer converting American lives into stock options and 99% of the country thinks it would be rude to stop him.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Salt Fish posted:

6 quarters in a row of cancelling our return date and we still have hour long meetings and mandatory trainings about what it will be like to go back. "When we return to the office in $month here's what you can expect"

:lmao:

Unfortunately, I'm considered essential enough that I only get to work from home every other day, unlike accounting, sales, service, etc.

I'd personally rather do full time WFH, but half time is better than nothing, plus when I have to be here, I eat lunch here:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

i am harry posted:

wear a loving half face respirator, get fired, make that motherfucker pay unemployment

get your unemployment denied because it is contested and the UI office is told you had the opportunity to work and turned it down

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pillowpants posted:

because they're doing everything they can to ensure there's no remote schooling this year so that parents can go back to work and make more profits for rich people

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Biowarfare posted:

in an ideal world i'd like it to be illegal or at least extreme negligence/manslaughter-tier liability if you have a job that can be done remotely in any way and still being forced to come in for no reason during a pandemic

it still cracks me up that 8 weeks into sydney's lockdown, my sister's job of running a coworking space is deemed essential. the one place you should absolutely shut down - people do everything on computers, no offices, remoting to other locations, mixed with various other businesses - Essential!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Pillowpants posted:

He campaigned on getting kids back in schools. He can't reneg on his campaign promise!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

can't smell hair through a n95

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thoguh posted:

I think there are two things happening. The first is the same as we saw last summer - places where people go inside for air conditioning get hit harder and faster than places where the weather allows for more outside activities. I think that we're seeing a repeat of that this year. The second is that I think more vaccinated areas probably have a lower effective R_0 value so it takes them longer to hit the vertical part of the exponential curve.

Plus just in general most of the waves last year were regional in nature and just rolled across different areas of the country at different times.

there was a post a while ago in this thread linking to someone modeling the infection rates (absolute and per capita) in vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. that model revealed another confounding factor in highly vaccinated areas - the degree of intermingling between unvaccinated and vaccinated populations.

when the two populations are mostly separate the cases do pop but more gradually, with a lowish peak in the vaccinated population being very separate from the large peak in the unvaccinated. when they are not separate things loving explode with sharp, nearly simultaneous, peaks. in both situations the incidence rate is orders of magnitude higher in the unvaccinated, but the absolute number of cases can actually be higher in the vaccinated cohort because there are a lot more of them.

good thing that we aren't forcing a massive intermingling of vaccinated and unvaccinated populations by forcing kids from both into in-person school!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Vermont update for 8/20

112 new cases (169 new cases yesterday)
26 currently hospitalized (+5 from yesterday)
12 in ICU (+3 from yesterday)
2 new deaths

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

quote:

Saying the risks of quarantine outweigh the risk of disease, a Colorado school district insists it won’t report COVID cases to local public health authorities, even though state officials say the law requires it.

“It is our judgement, backed by months of student and community observation and interaction, with corresponding experiential data, that the risks of quarantine far outweigh the risks of the disease,” District 49 CEO Peter Hilts wrote to families Thursday. “That is why we will not facilitate voluntary reporting and contact tracing that are designed to direct healthy individuals into quarantine and isolation.”

Hilts initially laid out his approach to COVID this school year in a memo in early August, as well as in a briefing to the school board, as first reported by the Colorado Springs Gazette. After leading his school district through the 2020-21 school year, Hilts concluded that too many students had to quarantine and that frequent switches to online learning were bad for students.

“Our experience last year was that quarantines were almost a reflexive response to any report [of COVID], verified or second hand, suspected or confirmed,” Hilts told Chalkbeat. “We sent thousands of students into quarantine who never got sick and in some cases they missed weeks of instruction.”

But when Chalkbeat asked Gov. Jared Polis about the district’s decision at a news conference Wednesday, he said schools must report COVID cases: “That is the law and that is unambiguous.”
:hmmrona:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

durrneez posted:

does anyone else know anyone who still uses cloth masks? I know a couple people who do and it’s just…. motherfuckin WHY?????

I asked my band to wear masks on stage at gig a couple weekends ago because I can't. All happily complied without hesitation.

Thick, grody looking masks with elastic so worn out it like suspends an inch in front of your face? check
Super thin, taught, single ply fabric stretched so tightly over your mouth hole it's surely only aiding the particles a la gaiter? check
Basic surgical mask completely unbent or opened so as to just create a flat surface sitting against your face? check

libs

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Salt Fish posted:

Desantis is a war profiteer converting American lives into stock options and 99% of the country thinks it would be rude to stop him.

in florida you can use lethal force to defend yourself against even a tenuous "perceived" threat but you can't even fire someone for instituting policies that he knows are getting people debilitated and killed to make a quick buck

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/BostonTweet/status/1428733584806924289

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

:lmao:

Unfortunately, I'm considered essential enough that I only get to work from home every other day, unlike accounting, sales, service, etc.

I'd personally rather do full time WFH, but half time is better than nothing, plus when I have to be here, I eat lunch here:

that's grim

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Pillowpants posted:

Because Biden, personally, doesn't really care. His job is to go on TV and make people feel like they're happy about America again. That's his only real job and he's doing that reasonably well for an ancient guy with holes in his brain.

The Biden administration/regency hasn't because there's nothing to gain from it and everything to lose. Until someone jumps on the grenade of actually saying "poo poo is very bad and is going to be worse, not better", no one will act. There is no number of dead children, dead elderly, dead people, dead {whatever} that will force action prior to someone else doing it first.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Kinda sorta good news I guess

either all due to fear or boosters or some combo

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Lord of Pie posted:

can't smell hair through a n95

Oh poo poo it's this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lacrosse posted:

He campaigned on getting kids back in schools. He can't reneg on his campaign promise!

Pretty much the only campaign promise he's going to keep

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

cool, I will have the "opportunity" to remove my mask to teach at the front of the room

good thing I will respectfully decline this "opportunity"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1428722533700968454?s=20

Thousands of cops attended a funeral yesterday for a cop killed a few weeks ago in Chicago. Fun to play spot the mask
https://twitter.com/jkimpictures/status/1428381289846034440?s=20
https://twitter.com/Chicago_Police/status/1428426367671193605?s=20

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

biden is worse than trump because if trump were prez the libs would at least still be wearing masks out of spite

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

The idiot economics PhD holder is trying to walk away from her masks are useless for kids “study” now that kids are dying in Florida? gently caress her

Someone tied her to something bad in a public way so she's trying to delete it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol all they're ever going to do is post through it
death wave after death wave
and they're gonna :justpost:
loving lmaoooooooo

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

covid lookin to defend it's spot as the top cop killer in 2021 i see :getin:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

These people will suffer no consequences. However any school trying to do more than the bare minimum will suffer severe consequences.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

GET VACCINATED is the 2021 version of VOTE

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Shifty Pony posted:

there was a post a while ago in this thread linking to someone modeling the infection rates (absolute and per capita) in vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. that model revealed another confounding factor in highly vaccinated areas - the degree of intermingling between unvaccinated and vaccinated populations.

when the two populations are mostly separate the cases do pop but more gradually, with a lowish peak in the vaccinated population being very separate from the large peak in the unvaccinated. when they are not separate things loving explode with sharp, nearly simultaneous, peaks. in both situations the incidence rate is orders of magnitude higher in the unvaccinated, but the absolute number of cases can actually be higher in the vaccinated cohort because there are a lot more of them.

good thing that we aren't forcing a massive intermingling of vaccinated and unvaccinated populations by forcing kids from both into in-person school!

Can't mix vaccinated and unvaccinated kids if you don't let the kids get vaccinated! *taps head*

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Chicago is also doing the Air and Water show this weekend, which draws thousands of people to the lakefront and then restaurants and bars in the city
https://twitter.com/dsplacko/status/1428756029802795017?s=20

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Lacrosse posted:

GET VACCINATED is the 2021 version of VOTE

at least getting vaccinated has a tangible improvement on my life, unlike voting

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Love that our only plan is to vaccinate our way out of this when even if we vaccinated 100% of people we would still have exponential spread of delta without other NPIs.

just astounding stupidity.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

fosborb posted:

this is same county that had the viral video of an anti mask riot during their school board meeting like last week

I work in this county and that school board meeting has emboldened the chuds. We've had several clients this week sneer at and mock our receptionist for enforcing our rudimentary covid guidelines (wear and mask and sit far apart in our enormous waiting room)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Thoguh posted:

These people will suffer no consequences. However any school trying to do more than the bare minimum will suffer severe consequences.

District 49 is where all the poor kids in Colorado Springs live, it's really funny for them to just explicitly come out and say "covid is too much of a hassle, keeping these kids in the building no matter what is our priority".

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
everyone in my office has a cough.
one employee brought their toddler in two days ago.
now the kid is so sick the employee can't come in and we don't offer PTO so no one really ever calls out.

anyhow since that eats my entire rear end like a corncob, i figured i'd make a cool poster to the CSPAM COVID festival next weekend.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Thoguh posted:

Someone tied her to something bad in a public way so she's trying to delete it.

It’s not the second time she’s lied about data and been wrong, she’s a hack. The anti-vaxxer’s/maskers are just using her because she’s on their side.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Love that our only plan is to vaccinate our way out of this when even if we vaccinated 100% of people we would still have exponential spread of delta without other NPIs.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1424016481046700039?s=19

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Penisaurus Sex posted:

We live in a failed state. The public institutions which are supposed to protect us are instead doing their damndest to shovel as much money into rich fuckers' pockets as possible before the whole thing collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/playbookdc/status/1428666527327338500?s=20