Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

local news

also local news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
the reality is that number would have a rough time with another major shutdown, so we're just throwing people into the meat grinder instead

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

zegermans posted:

Should I just get a moderna vaccine and lie about ever having gotten janssen

i'm in the same boat and i'm about to walk into a walgreens and get the moderna

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
9 Days until the January Hospitalization Peak is met (it will have taken 31 less days to go from 49k-128k)

192,000 beds left in the country....

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Any stupid rear end in a top hat could have predicted this outcome.

:wave:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Truly incredible the federal government is doing not a single solitary thing beyond shouting GET VACCINATED from behind closed bunker doors

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Lacrosse posted:

Truly incredible the federal government is doing not a single solitary thing beyond shouting GET VACCINATED from behind closed bunker doors

it's starting to spread to powerful people. the second some of them start dying (even if vaccinated) is when it gets serious

until then, we're on our own.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

iirc when the CDC released their horrible stoplight "pandemic's over for the vaccinated and liars" guidance back in May this thread caught fire over the sheer stupidity of it

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

i embrace annihilation with open arms.

join me, brothers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hospitalizations didn’t start spiking last year until late September iirc? We’re already riding that rollercoaster and deaths are absolutely going to follow soon.

Imho this is all on the CDC telling everyone the pandemic was essentially over in may. Any stupid rear end in a top hat could have predicted this outcome.

we havent even had the coastal and upper midwest states get hit yet. ny, cali, illinois, michigan, ohio, pa all can take the hospitalizations to the moon once the it spreads more outside the SEC states

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Schnorkles posted:

it's starting to spread to powerful people. the second some of them start dying (even if vaccinated) is when it gets serious

I would hope but I mostly think they would rather build a wall around a city that costs more than helping would just so they can keep the poors out while people die in the streets outside

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hospital numbers

Around 120 current covid patients in hospital. Highest it's been was 160 back in january. They just shut down the ortho floor and are turning it into a covid wing, however.

42 patients in the ICU
38 patients on vent

Currently 61 employees infected with 36 having been vaccinated.

Positive tests among age groups are fairly evently distributed, but this doesn't really get into to fine a detail. it's 0-24, 25-44, 45 to 64, then 65+.

all our internal stuff is screaming for employees to get a booster.

Had a patient this morning. Immunocompromised. Getting his first shot. Told him to hold his mycophenolate 4-7 days post jab as tolerated.

hope everyone else's morning is going good and you're staying safe.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

the only reason we shut down the first time is the powerful didn't yet know this was an illness that will primarily effect the people they don't care about anyway. Once that was made clear it was full steam ahead.

now with delta though...

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

the reality is that number would have a rough time with another major shutdown, so we're just throwing people into the meat grinder instead

it will be incredible how quickly the government will move when the number goes down

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

iirc when the CDC released their horrible stoplight "pandemic's over for the vaccinated and liars" guidance back in May this thread caught fire over the sheer stupidity of it

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

T-Paine posted:

i'm in the same boat and i'm about to walk into a walgreens and get the moderna

holy poo poo when did you get unpermad

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

FizFashizzle posted:

Hospital numbers

Around 120 current covid patients in hospital. Highest it's been was 160 back in january. They just shut down the ortho floor and are turning it into a covid wing, however.

42 patients in the ICU
38 patients on vent

Currently 61 employees infected with 36 having been vaccinated.

Positive tests among age groups are fairly evently distributed, but this doesn't really get into to fine a detail. it's 0-24, 25-44, 45 to 64, then 65+.

all our internal stuff is screaming for employees to get a booster.

Had a patient this morning. Immunocompromised. Getting his first shot. Told him to hold his mycophenolate 4-7 days post jab as tolerated.

hope everyone else's morning is going good and you're staying safe.

what city is this in?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

FizFashizzle posted:

the only reason we shut down the first time is the powerful didn't yet know this was an illness that will primarily effect the people they don't care about anyway. Once that was made clear it was full steam ahead.

now with delta though...

yeah, the entire wisdom of institutions right now is based on wild type which is why everything is so loving stupid

delta is too virulent :shrug:

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

FizFashizzle posted:

now with delta though...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/17/coronavirus-reopening-shopping-mall-georgia/

quote:

‘This feels great’
A preview from Georgia about how America might reemerge from the coronavirus: Eating, drinking, touching and throwing caution to the wind
By Stephanie McCrummen
MAY 17, 2020

On the sprawling green plaza, people began gathering elbow-to-elbow on blankets and lawn chairs, opening beers and bottles of wine.

“I think you have to live life,” said Jeff Lampel, taking a sip of beer.

“When you start seeing where the cases are coming from and the demographics — I’m not worried,” agreed his friend Scott Friedel.

“I know what people are going to say — 'Those selfish idiots are killing our old people!’ ” said Lampel.

“How do you give up a day like this — really, how?” Friedel said, enjoying the last rays of sun as the music kept playing and the crowds kept coming.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Schnorkles posted:

open biden

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

*thinking as hard as I ever have*

Have you considered... open biden?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

finally

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

we havent even had the coastal and upper midwest states get hit yet. ny, cali, illinois, michigan, ohio, pa all can take the hospitalizations to the moon once the it spreads more outside the SEC states

PA should basically be split between everything that isn't Philadelphia and its immediate suburbs

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

It's true, doctor jill said so

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

what city is this in?

WNC

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

The hospital is at a very low census herer right now. I had a talk with an RN friend a couple days ago and no one is coming to the ER and there's this growing sense of dread that everything is about to hit the fan.

schnorkwife had to take her mom to the ER a couple days ago and was there for 3 hours and said she didn't see another single person.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Throw another one on the Moderna supremacy pile:
https://twitter.com/Goldammerfeder/status/1427989777354211335

Seriously though one of the latter comments is relevant:
https://twitter.com/Goldammerfeder/status/1428379232015724551

The difference could just be declining effectiveness over time or older people disproportionately receiving Pfizer before Moderna was available and their crappy immune systems making Pfizer look worse. Don't think these numbers were age corrected.

But the numbers themselves are pretty great. If you get 80% against PCR+ you could theoretically vaccinate yourself out of a R0 of 5. Now what's Delta's R0 again?

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
Consent manufacturing machine go brrrrrr

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

meet girls at the store posted:

I hope the American citizens here got their international travel out of the way before 2020\

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1428541317940920322

a thrid of all students and faculty out sick already, jesus

I haven't been following the school biz as closely this year since my mom (thankfully) retired from teaching before going back to the covid mines, but this is the first I'm hearing about states outright disallowing remote and forcing them to use snow days. everything is so stupid.

What happens in a couple weeks when they're out of inclement weather days to use?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

remember when Obama asked Gupta to be his surgeon general and he was like, no, I prefer money

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

coexist

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Encountered a rare reverse chud today where my 35 yr old boss has his boomer parents on his rear end to get vaccinated.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

durrneez posted:

does anyone else know anyone who still uses cloth masks? I know a couple people who do and it’s just…. motherfuckin WHY?????

everyone in my turbo lib, best vaccinated area in the state uses cloth masks, especially on kids. masking is very common, its just done wrong. hell, my spouse and kid go with cloth masks 99% of the time
a few go surgical, fewer go 94 and up (almost all of those people are very old). i've never seen a respirator

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

What happens in a couple weeks when they're out of inclement weather days to use?

remote learning is not an option

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

has Gupta ever been right about anything

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

i guess one of the things that's hard to express is how bad wild type got here too

something like 20% of the entire population of the area I live in had a confirmed case (which means the actual number might be more like.. 40%? 45%? at least?). hospitals were on full diversion and they were doing triage at both local medical centers.

the newspaper quadrupled in size because of the number of obituaries one week.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

1.) suck
2.) and
3.) gently caress
4.) at
5.) Applebee's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Hmm, wonder what's in this week's Market Intelligence newsletter

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-301359196.html

quote:

Geisinger introduces customizable zero-interest payment plans for out-of-pocket medical expenses

AI-backed payment solution offers patients custom options to conveniently pay medical bills on their schedule

DANVILLE, Pa., Aug. 19, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Furthering its mission to make better health easier for the communities it serves, Geisinger is introducing a new AI-backed, customizable approach to medical billing where patients have the power to select zero-interest payment plans that can be paid over a timeline of their choosing.

Partnering with fintech startup PayZen, Geisinger is the first major health system in the United States to implement this AI-backed financing solution to create customized billing solutions that will help patients more easily afford out-of-pocket medical expenses within their personal budgets. With this partnership, patients receiving Geisinger bills for out-of-pocket expenses will be invited to pay the bill in one lump sum, or over many months, on a timeline that works for their personal financial situation. If they elect to pay their balance over time, they can choose from several customized payment plans, all without fees or interest. The payment plans will be made available to all Geisinger patients with out-of-pocket balances over $250 after insurance payments.

"Everything we do at Geisinger is done in an effort to make better health easier for our patients, members and communities. This includes making it simpler to afford and pay medical bills with no-interest plans on friendly, customizable terms," said Robert Dewar, Chief Revenue Officer at Geisinger. "We understand that everyone's financial situations are different and it's our obligation to make sure our patients don't avoid or put off necessary care for financial reasons."

This new approach has proven popular. During the initial rollout, 82% of patients enrolled after receiving their customized monthly payment plan, with an average monthly payment of $52. Geisinger and PayZen are enrolling hundreds of patients in the program each month.

"Out of pocket medical bills can put a strain on any patient's household budget. PayZen seeks to address that strain with technology that allows us to customize payment plans that meet whatever a patient's budget requires," said Itzik Cohen, PayZen CEO and co-founder. "Geisinger is an early adopter of this technology that has the potential to revolutionize health care payments to better meet the needs of patients."