Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
LOLLOLOLOL

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1428752186855632900?s=20

wow talk about being super owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

trucutru posted:

Yes, 20 years and 100 times the GDP of the country wasn't enough.

In the lead up to this month's final offensive, ANA soldiers hadn't been paid for four months. The US could have bankrolled the entire Afghan army, paid them 1/6 of a US infantryman's earnings, and that would still be a king's salary compared to the average Afghan.

There was an opportunity to plan for a gradual withdrawal with an ANA that wouldn't immediately give up like they wished would happen, but it would mean planning 1 1/2 to 2 years ahead of time. Nobody was going to do that because planning for a withdrawal means accepting defeat, and planning for defeat means you're the one who takes responsibility. So the buck just gets passed from Bush to Obama to Trump. Trump makes a deal with the Taliban for a withdrawal with zero preparations or intention to do anything, then Biden takes over with half a year to prepare. Of course he and his DOD didn't do anything to prepare for the withdrawal either, but you can get a good sense of why he thinks you couldn't withdraw without avoiding chaos after being dealt such a bad hand by everybody who came before him.

And all the buck passing includes every preening military queen like Petraeus.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

being dealt such a bad hand by everybody who came before him.

So himself?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

I can't even make fun of this

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacemang_spliff posted:

lmao

I can't even make fun of this

you could try sucking on it

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Can you believe this whiny hand wringing about Afghanistan? is now a contender for most stupid Friedman bit of all time

I love how he's just pivoted into bizarre fictional interviews, he is truly the emblem of the NYT.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I will visibly unscrew my steering wheel and throw it out the window at you!

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Apples McGrind posted:

everyone in this thread

guess again

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Grapplejack posted:

Who could possibly accept these refugees
https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1428749467642175492
anyone who isn't the US, please help these people

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't remember whether it was afghanistan or iraq but i do remember reporters being pretty eager to use the word "quagmire." Yes, the Bush administration was both criminal and incompetent in starting the wars, but besides that it's just a fun word to say. quagmire. QUAGmire. :quagmire:

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
:thunk: shot:

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: chaser:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

i hear murica has tons of space

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Grapplejack posted:

Who could possibly accept these refugees

lmao @ these broke rear end brained demon crackers

https://twitter.com/yarievnu/status/1428751344161091590?s=20

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Agrajag posted:

i hear murica has tons of space

we can’t bring them here because republicans might get mad

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

it's insane how bloodthirsty this nation was during that time

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

Good soup! posted:

it's insane how bloodthirsty this nation was during that time

9/11 was the ultimate crack ping

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The most stereotypical no-chin virgin british person weeping how he got owned by the taliban:-

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1428771189590274063?s=20

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Eric Cantonese posted:

Agreed that the Biden administration should have accounted for this in some way and need to find a solution, but I'm just saying if people think we can just land everyone directly to the US is ignoring the political and logistical obstacles to it.

Plus, if the emphasis is on getting people out, those planes need to be able to cycle back and forth on pretty regular intervals.

Logistical obstacles are laughable. Transiting these people through US facilities is straightforward once the orders are given. Any political obstacles are totally of the Biden Administration's own making. Immigration policy is under the purview of the executive branch unless congress explicitly gets involved, and they won't do poo poo.

Don't let Biden or the dems use the GOP as scapegoats for why we didn't do the decent thing and let our collaborators immigrate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

is britain upset because this adds to their "wars lost in afghanistan" count?

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They are mad because Biden isn’t pretending they are still an empire

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/WSJopinion/status/1428772385180864515

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoKid posted:

They are mad because Biden isn’t pretending they are still an empire

I thought they gave up after the suez crisis

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

IRAQ IS STABLE NOW BECAUSE THE SECTARIAN WARS HAVE ENDED EVERYONE GOT KILLED AND IRAN CONTROLS IT TOTALLY YOU loving DUMBASSES ITS NOT AN AMERICAN VICTORY BUT AN IRANIAN ONE.

IF IT WASNT FOR IRAN AND ITS BLOODTHIRSTY MILITIAS YOU WOULDVE BEEN RUN OUT YEARS AGO

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

the writer forget about the massive loving civil war that went on for years and years following the invasion or what?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wolfs posted:

let’s inject some flavor into the midwest jeez

theres some flavor there already!

the upper midwest is where most Muslim refugees get placed already from what I know. Not that it's a huge number, but theres a reason some of the few Muslim representatives in Congress come from Minnesota and Michigan.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

They should be grateful to still be world champs at something.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Agrajag posted:

the writer forget about the massive loving civil war that went on for years and years following the invasion or what?

they also forgot how Iraq was going to be overrun by ISIS if it wasnt for the overwhelming military response by Iran, it's militias and the west in general.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al-Saqr posted:

they also forgot how Iraq was going to be overrun by ISIS if it wasnt for the overwhelming military response by Iran, it's militias and the west in general.

Shia militias were pretty much the only thing stopping ISIS from rolling all the way to Baghdad. The Iraqi army could only be reformed into a real fighting force in the wake of that absolute humiliation.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Agrajag posted:

lmao @ these broke rear end brained demon crackers

https://twitter.com/yarievnu/status/1428751344161091590?s=20

10k is a rounding error for Pakistan compared the number of refugees they've had from Afghanistan over the decades

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

whatever. rather see them work things out diplomatically than just sticking their head in the sand like what the US will do probably, or worse.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1428768592695332871?s=20

Blinken was in the NATO voice chat begging for someone to take US collaborators in, because Biden is too racist to bring them to the US

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Agrajag posted:

the writer is the MBA that Bush put in charge immediately after the invasion to turn Iraq into a contractor playground

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought they gave up after the suez crisis

they will give up. Rule Britannia!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

the writer is the MBA that Bush put in charge immediately after the invasion to turn Iraq into a contractor playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiGdwAq-tAs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoKid posted:

they will give up. Rule Britannia!

Britons always, always, always, shall be slaves

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1428776090709942275?s=20

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

hellworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the wiki wars