Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ThomasPaine posted:

What's this from because it looks... good????

Joint SNP/Green co-operation agreement.

[edit] June 1333 King Edward III of England seizes the Isle of Man from Scottish control

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

willie_dee posted:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1428676951863136267?s=21

Sorry it’s from Piers, but Rory Stuart actually seems like he’s talking sense from a we went there, hosed it, but we should of stayed to make sure it got repaired rather than this bundle of stupidity recently, point of view.

We had twenty years of steadily escalating corruption and brutality. The second Taliban didn't even exist until we tore apart the country looking for Taliban to kill. People saying we should have stayed in longer are like an abusive partner yelling 'I can change!' after their victim ups and leaves.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

willie_dee posted:

Sorry it’s from Piers, but Rory Stuart actually seems like he’s talking sense from a we went there, hosed it, but we should of stayed to make sure it got repaired rather than this bundle of stupidity recently, point of view.

Twenty years of accomplishing absolutely nothing but blowing kids up in airstrikes but if we'd just left the soldiers in longer the same people who've been in charge the entire time were about the turn it round.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's not fair, we also trafficked kids to pedophile warlords and kept a string of outposts fed on moldy potatoes and wondered why they capitulated so quickly.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The disingenuous little fucker trots out the "no American serviceman has been killed in 18 months" line

Yes, no soldiers have been killed since Trump signed the agreement to withdraw - what do you think would have happened if they didn't?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Rory Stewart was some sort of king poo poo in Afghanistan so no surprise he wants us to stay in so he might get that job back now he's hosed up everything else

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Here at Fudjit Towers, our Fudgexperimentation continues- as well as a restock of two of our most popular flavours, we have four brand new flavours for your delight and delectation!

We also have a special offer on at the moment- all Vegan fudge is 50% off, due to short expiry times (Best before the end of the month). Snap it up or it gets binned on September 1st, and that would be an utter tragedy!

Flavours available at the moment are:

Fiery Gingerbread - Ginger fudge combined with big crunchy hunks of locally baked gingerbread from Market Drayton, the 'Home of Gingerbread'.
Liquorice - Our take on an old fashioned flavour. Rich dairy fudge combined with and flavoured by traditionally made Liquorice. Also, it's black and thus Goth AF.
Caramilk - By popular request! Caramelised white chocolate is melted into our rich fudge, and then decorated with crumbled chocolate flake because frankly, why not? Move fast- this one is particularly delicious and is likely to fly off the shelves.
Baked Beans - A combination of traditional British and American candies in an attempt to fulfil a meme. Cinammon fudge surrounds 'Boston Baked Beans'- crunchy candy coated peanuts.

We also have available the following:

Original Vanilla (New stock)
Salted Caramel (New stock)
Whamageddon
Strawberry Milkshake
Mead
Peanut Butter Crunch
Lemon Meringue Pie
Chocolate and Chilli
Chocolate Orange
Jelly Beanz
Veganilla (50% off!)
Vegan Cookies (50% off!)
Vegan Biscoff (50% off!)

All stock is now live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk - we accept all credit and debit cards as well as Paypal. Fudge is sold in 100g bars at £3.50 each. As always, use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4.

Get fudged! :)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Rory loves Afghanistan because opium smoking is still socially acceptable.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Tried one of those new caramilk bars from Cadburys, it's good! Bit cloying but good. Basically a slightly chunkier caramac.
Now I see there's a Camrath caramilk too... dammit

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
drat I would love some fudge but I've already spent loads of money this month and I'm on a health kick :'( the gingerbread fudge sounds absolutely god tier

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The Perfect Element posted:

drat I would love some fudge but I've already spent loads of money this month and I'm on a health kick :'( the gingerbread fudge sounds absolutely god tier

It is.

I scored a literal bin bag full of samples from a local baker, and let’s just say not all of it has made it into the fudge..

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

Sometimes you do more violence by doing nothing, when you have the power to do something.

:patriot:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Do not sleep on the strawberry milkshake, it is loving amazing. Salted caramel is also way better than it has any right to be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do not sleep on the strawberry milkshake
This sounds like good general advice.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Camrath posted:

bin bag full of samples

Can't decide if better or worse than binbag full of custard

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looks like I'm finally getting me some vegan fudge, then. Call it a late birthday present to myself.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

One of these but with :ussr:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
lmao the £3.99 airfryer is all over the news now and the amazon product page is just completely gone

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ama: air fryers.

I bought a ninja air fryer max 2 years ago, it paid for itself a year ago and it’s awesome at everything but chips, which isn’t a surprise because oven chips suck. Great at frozen roast potatoes though, cos you can air fry your joint and then cook them while it rests.

Putting your air fryer on too long without a bit of oil will gently caress up your non stick coating

Put a 1kg gammon joint on tin foil and coat it in marmalade, wrap it up, cook for 20 mins on 200. Unwrap so your foil makes a boat and collects the liquid. Cook at 200 for 15 mins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ok so you didn't get bolsonaro trump or johnson but can you manage this one?

https://twitter.com/sam_bambs/status/1428782585811963904

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

learnincurve posted:

Ama: air fryers.

I bought a ninja air fryer max 2 years ago, it paid for itself a year ago and it’s awesome at everything but chips, which isn’t a surprise because oven chips suck. Great at frozen roast potatoes though, cos you can air fry your joint and then cook them while it rests.

Putting your air fryer on too long without a bit of oil will gently caress up your non stick coating

Put a 1kg gammon joint on tin foil and coat it in marmalade, wrap it up, cook for 20 mins on 200. Unwrap so your foil makes a boat and collects the liquid. Cook at 200 for 15 mins.

Air fryers suck for oven chips, but every time I've chopped up a potato and put it in there it's come out better than any oven chip I've ever had.

Editor's note: this only work for chunky chips, please do not attempt skinny fries in this or any other way.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Perfect Element posted:

A guy I knew who was an engineer in Helmand told me a story about how some tank regiment rolled in, and all the local kids gathered round hoping for sweets or drinks or whatever. One of Are Brave Boys had a regular trick where he’d hand out water canteens to the kids, just to watch their reactions when they realised he’d actually filled them with diesel.

what a oval office :mad:

those poor children have no schemes or anything

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can also do sweet potato chips in an air fryer also…

Baked potato.

Microwave for 5 mins

Air fry for 20 mins.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Alec_Eiffel85/status/1428802892669100033

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

OwlFancier posted:

The state of the replies on that

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Goddamn I can't think of a better way for tesco to gently caress off all its semi regular customers than to lock every single one of its price discounts behind clubcard

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Morrison’s has done away with points and is doing all discounts via the Clubcard app and the olds are PISSED

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Goddamn I can't think of a better way for tesco to gently caress off all its semi regular customers than to lock every single one of its price discounts behind clubcard
I finally caved and got the Clubcard app because their chili and garlic flatbreads, which have basically been my breakfast for the past several years, are no longer 2 packs for £2 but £1.60 a pack unless you have a Clubcard, and gently caress a 60% price increase. And the Spanish omelettes my son likes aren't 2 for £4 any more but £2.60 each sans Clubcard, so it's either let Tesco look at my boring grocery data or be an extra £3-4 out of pocket every time I go shopping. :argh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

learnincurve posted:

Morrison’s has done away with points and is doing all discounts via the Clubcard app and the olds are PISSED

I'm pissed. Our local petrol station was morrisons so you could really rack up the points nice and easy and then spend on whatever. Now it's discount on whatever morrisons wants to push that week. .

It's a blatant down grade.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I forgot my clubcard while I was buying the jaffa cake donuts a few weeks back, was v distraught to have paid full price rather than half. Pretty good though, would buy again (on offer)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the best reason to get a Clubcard is so you can scan all your shopping as you go around and then you can use the different checkouts and don't have to queue up for 10 minutes for the regular ones

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
more like wrong said fred!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

highest ever number of covid infections here today in NI and deaths in double digits daily :coronatoot:

i've heard from nursing staff in ICU that the infected there are mostly younger people now

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Hey all, has anyone here had any experience with pet insurance in the UK? It just wasn't necessary in europe as the prices were so damned cheap there.

I've got 5 cats (Ages 4, 4, 7, 8 & 9) and they're all pretty healthy so far but a few friends have had vet issues the last 6 months and one in particular would have been saddled with a £1500 bill for an overnight stay if they hadn't had insurance. I added up all the costs of all the vet visits in the 1.5 years since we moved here and it was just shy of £1600 but *touch wood* nothing for the last 5 months.

I'm looking around for decent pet insurance companies but reading reviews on ones like 'Everypaw' where i can get £3000 a year per pet covered for £523 a year for all 5 They get AWFUL reviews and everything is triggering my scam sense. Retroactively adding condition exemptions for unrelated conditions or refusing to insure your cat unless you can get medical history from before you got them etc.

I just want a decent non scammy insurance company (hahahahaha) where I can pay them £x per year and I can know I'll be covered if I need a ridiculous operation for one of the buggers so I don't have to choose taking out a loan or maxxing my credit card to keep my best friend alive.

Any suggestions?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I'm too sexy for my mask
Too sexy for my mask
Fetch an oxygen flask

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mebh posted:

Hey all, has anyone here had any experience with pet insurance in the UK? It just wasn't necessary in europe as the prices were so damned cheap there.

I've got 5 cats (Ages 4, 4, 7, 8 & 9) and they're all pretty healthy so far but a few friends have had vet issues the last 6 months and one in particular would have been saddled with a £1500 bill for an overnight stay if they hadn't had insurance. I added up all the costs of all the vet visits in the 1.5 years since we moved here and it was just shy of £1600 but *touch wood* nothing for the last 5 months.

I'm looking around for decent pet insurance companies but reading reviews on ones like 'Everypaw' where i can get £3000 a year per pet covered for £523 a year for all 5 They get AWFUL reviews and everything is triggering my scam sense. Retroactively adding condition exemptions for unrelated conditions or refusing to insure your cat unless you can get medical history from before you got them etc.

I just want a decent non scammy insurance company (hahahahaha) where I can pay them £x per year and I can know I'll be covered if I need a ridiculous operation for one of the buggers so I don't have to choose taking out a loan or maxxing my credit card to keep my best friend alive.

Any suggestions?

You're best off going with a policy underwritten by one of the big name insurers like AXA or LV. A lot of the smaller ones are scummy as gently caress when it comes to pets (Red Sands in particular is a no go). But there's no such thing as a really good pet insurance policy - the exclusions are always incredibly broad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Bloody hell Camrath this strawberry milkshake fudge is *ridiculous*. It's perfect. Not too sweet, beautifully smooth, just the right amount of milkshake flavour. If anyone's on the fence, order some of this, it's incredible.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

stev posted:

You're best off going with a policy underwritten by one of the big name insurers like AXA or LV. A lot of the smaller ones are scummy as gently caress when it comes to pets (Red Sands in particular is a no go). But there's no such thing as a really good pet insurance policy - the exclusions are always incredibly broad.

Yeah I went with petplan in the end as they're more pricey, but the reviews seemed to indicate that you get what you pay for. The only things I have had are some minor UTI stuff with the kitties and some dental work (minus the 3 legged cats operation at birth...) so none of those would be covered but they're also below the excess in price anyway so /meh. I'm more worried about older cats getting diabetes and having to pay thousands a year.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Peston's having a midlife crisis and has decided to cosplay as the frontman of Muse.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1428801269628559363

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Your best bet is to go to the vet you intend to go to the most and see if they have a good working relationship with a particular insurer.

We go with PetPlan as recommended by Dog's Trust and our local vets, because it means the vets can contact the insurer for payment rather than us having to pay and then claim it back later.

The insurer also tends to take their word for it, so when the boy broke a toe running up and down the garden a year or two ago, it cost us about £80 instead of £2,000 to get it sorted.

Here is the boy completely off his tits on painkillers at their expense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Could you describe scottish independence as an anti-colonial movement, or is that offense to the whole concept?