Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Not a clue, since that’s a teaser of an announcement they’ll be making at SEMA. Like it says.
I know what you mean, but really, anything will work with a manual gearbox - with the necessary adapters. I can’t tell from the drawings of it has an integrated gearbox or not. Another gearbox may not be necessary regardless.
I’m wondering if they’re using the same motor as the Lightning or Mach-E with a standalone controller, and what kind of interface and telemetry it’ll support.

That remains to be seen as well. Really, *that’s* the bigger issue with most conversions. There needs to be a modular battery pack system so the car won’t need to be (as) hacked up to convert it, and still retain OE cargo space.

When I was a the Frankfurt auto show a couple of years ago, there were a number of vendors displaying various modular battery pack setups. I think they were more angling more toward the OEM supplier type thing though. They are out there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We bought an ID.4 Pro S yesterday. I loving hate dealers (what's this $900 line item? VIN engraving because you guys are worried about theft? gently caress offffff) but we got it done and I funded it through my credit union (again, gently caress dealers). It's blue with the black interior and I really like it.

Darchangel posted:

That remains to be seen as well. Really, *that’s* the bigger issue with most conversions. There needs to be a modular battery pack system so the car won’t need to be (as) hacked up to convert it, and still retain OE cargo space.

Yeah, I want to convert my CJ-7 at some point but it's a small vehicle and I haven't really figured out where to put the batteries. There is rather a lot of space under the hood, but for example the gas tank is only 10 gallons which doesn't free up a ton of space.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I preemptively told my dealer to gently caress off with the VIN engraving and nitrogen in the tires bullshit. They apparently don't do the latter but said they wouldn't do the former since I requested it.

It seems like they're being decent but I'm still just waiting for them to tack on a 10k ADM at the last second.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

What is going on with that interior?

:v:: Hey boss, I finished designing the seat backs for the GT. By the way, the average height of an adult human is 4’3”, right? Oh, we’ll just tack something onto the top I guess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I preemptively told my dealer to gently caress off with the VIN engraving and nitrogen in the tires bullshit. They apparently don't do the latter but said they wouldn't do the former since I requested it.

We yelled at them until they took the engraving off the price, returning it to MSRP. Then we yelled at them until they gave us more money for the trade-in. Hopefully I won't have to talk to a car dealer for another decade.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

:v:: Hey boss, I finished designing the seat backs for the GT. By the way, the average height of an adult human is 4’3”, right? Oh, we’ll just tack something onto the top I guess.

Those seats are hideous.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At least it has physical steering wheel buttons in a matte finish.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

mattfl posted:

Those seats are hideous.

Yeah but you could glue some googly eyes to the headrest and use the HOV lane!

drat, it's electric, you can use the HOV lane anyway can't you.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

We bought an ID.4 Pro S yesterday. I loving hate dealers (what's this $900 line item? VIN engraving because you guys are worried about theft? gently caress offffff) but we got it done and I funded it through my credit union (again, gently caress dealers). It's blue with the black interior and I really like it.

Would love pics and real life impressions when you get a chance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bird with big dick posted:

Everyone post pics of your RGB lights

and penis
:nws: :nws:

Darchangel posted:

I see a lot of value in the idea of a crate motor that can be more or less bolted in place of a common engine swap because it's the easiest for someone not familiar with EVs to picture if someone manages to get them to consider it. It's certainly not ideal from a lot of other standpoints, but it's a good way to get people in the door thinking about it.

That said, I wonder if the right answer might instead be a battery module designed to fit in place of a common engine, maybe that could even be extended modularly down the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, and the motors instead be integrated in to replacement axles.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

The ioniq 5 only has it on the top trim in some countries....just like basically every other headline feature. The ev6 did not advertise it at all, so it's probably safe to say it doesn't move at least to the same extent

Yeah the video looks like the EV6 doesn't have it at all :( Lame!!! With the Ioniq 5 I believe there is both a motorized and manual version.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Charles posted:

Yeah the video looks like the EV6 doesn't have it at all :( Lame!!! With the Ioniq 5 I believe there is both a motorized and manual version.

Go check the specs for the UK Ioniq 5--they list center console - static for the bottom 2 trims. Only the top trim has center console - sliding. I highly doubt this is just motorized/manual, because I don't see why you would ever want or need a motorized center console

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

wolrah posted:

I see a lot of value in the idea of a crate motor that can be more or less bolted in place of a common engine swap because it's the easiest for someone not familiar with EVs to picture if someone manages to get them to consider it. It's certainly not ideal from a lot of other standpoints, but it's a good way to get people in the door thinking about it.

That said, I wonder if the right answer might instead be a battery module designed to fit in place of a common engine, maybe that could even be extended modularly down the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, and the motors instead be integrated in to replacement axles.

A motor module with a Gen3 Chevrolet bolt pattern on the output side and a module battery system. Fitting a monolithic battery is going to be rough in a lot of cars, but if the modules are smaller, you can stuff them all kinds of places.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

wolrah posted:

:nws: :nws:

MrYenko posted:

A motor module with a Gen3 Chevrolet bolt pattern on the output side and a module battery system. Fitting a monolithic battery is going to be rough in a lot of cars, but if the modules are smaller, you can stuff them all kinds of places.

It’s interesting that Ford beat GM to the punch with this reveal because a bunch of people at GM have been caught talking about a crate motor project over the last two years or so.

Somebody at a show recently said something about the aim being “to do basically what we did with the LS, and replicate all the success we’ve had with that, but electric drive” and that they were very excited to show off what they’d been working on.

And MAGNA introduced EBeam for trucks/solid axle vehicles back in March, but for now their focus seems to be on fleets and business clients rather than individual hobbyists.

Ideally we get to the point soon where a retailer of some sort starts carrying that stuff and making it accessible to regular folks.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/magna-ebeam-axle-ev-truck/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bone Crimes posted:

Would love pics and real life impressions when you get a chance.

I can grab pics of particular details if there's something you're interested in seeing, but otherwise I mean it's a blue ID.4, there's a million pictures online taken by better photographers than me.

I'll try to give some more impressions in a few days. So far:

• It's pretty drat comfortable, and the fact that both seats are fully electric with preset capability was a factor in picking it over other EVs at comparable prices.
  • I think the glass roof is great, but this is the first time I've had a car with one so we'll see what I think long-term
  • It's smaller on the outside than you might think; it looks kinda big in pictures. It fits in parking spots nicely and actually seems to fit better in the garage than our old Camry did.
  • The "wave your hand at the screen" functionality is kind of pointless and hard to trigger anyway.
  • The voice recognition thing seems ok so far. I was able to make it start navigation to an address on the first try. You can also say things like "Tune to 88.5 FM", although "Tune to KQED" doesn't seem to work. Still working out exactly what commands are possible.
  • The steering wheel buttons are fine. I'd be interested to know how they're implemented, because they're not discrete buttons but it does click when you press.

We're signed up for the free Electrify America thing, but haven't tried it yet. I ought to see if there's any sign of software updates to allow "just plug it in" charging the way the Mach E does it; that was one of the most baffling things, seeing that Ford could do something VW can't... on a VW charger network.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

they're not discrete buttons but it does click when you press.

I'm going to have to insist you elaborate on this, because I have no idea what you're describing, and I desperately want to.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cruft posted:

I'm going to have to insist you elaborate on this, because I have no idea what you're describing, and I desperately want to.

Ok, so here's the left button cluster:

Note that it's all just one big piece of plastic. But when I go to press the "+" button to increase the cruise control speed, the whole thing "clicks". Or they use a motor to vibrate it so cleverly that my finger thinks it has clicked.

The cruise control speed buttons are a particularly interesting point, because pushing lightly bumps it by 1mph, but pushing firmly bumps it 5mph.

Edit: my guess is that it's some combination of capacitive sensors for each button, with the whole thing set up on a big switch; when you trigger the big switch, it samples the capacitive sensors to see which button you were pressing. That's how I'd implement it, anyway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It also makes a click in the sound system, which you can switch off. There are really loads of things you can enable/disable. And there are different ways of doing things. You can also swipe up/down for +/- 10 or press the follow distance button (careful not to accidentally swipe the speed) and then swipe to adjust distance. Or press the button to cycle through distances. Changing between ACC and limit mode is swipe or click Mode first, then click the ok button on the right pad. On that one, volume is left/right, next/previous track is up/down, just orthogonal to a few thousand other music controls, no biggie.

Huge number of options in the menus and various ways to do the same thing on the controls tells me that their design and software team didn't really iterate over customer tests, but basically lived in a bunker for a few years and trusted their own ideas. I kind of want to hate it, but ... it works. I'd happily own an ID.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Huge number of options in the menus and various ways to do the same thing on the controls tells me that their design and software team didn't really iterate over customer tests, but basically lived in a bunker for a few years and trusted their own ideas. I kind of want to hate it, but ... it works. I'd happily own an ID.

So, normal German engineering process then.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fame Douglas posted:

Why is that worth a probation at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drat forum rubberneckers

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

gwrtheyrn posted:

Go check the specs for the UK Ioniq 5--they list center console - static for the bottom 2 trims. Only the top trim has center console - sliding. I highly doubt this is just motorized/manual, because I don't see why you would ever want or need a motorized center console

Yeah I worry about the lower two trims being junk. I’ve also read rumors that the heat pump might only be top trim as an option and honestly that’s an important item for me where I live. drat rumors.

Just give us trim level spec sheets for the US Hyundai/Kia!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://jalopnik.com/gm-now-says-that-every-bolt-and-bolt-euv-worldwide-will-1847529693

quote:

GM also says that the new batteries will come with an 8-year, 100,000-mile warranty, for customer “peace of mind.” This might be a great time — no joke — to be in the market for a used Chevy Bolt.

Dang, I kind of want to buy an old bolt now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

No kidding, but I've only had my Volt for a year and my wife probably won't want me to trade her Focus in while she's at work and not tell her.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

2019, 2,634 miles Shock green, premier trim. Some sort of tear slinging grease into my tire (tire guy mentioned it and I don't remember exactly what he said and am too lazy to grab my phone and check what I wrote down) , and some bumper damage from a garbage bin that totally snuck up on me. Let's start the bidding at 30k.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just read this article about the 2022 Polestar 2, which comes with a single-motor option and a heat pump option. It seems... really good? Apparently the single motor option matches the Model 3 in range and starts at $45900, which may beat the Model 3 depending on how much of the federal tax credit you can claim. I test drove the 2021 model about a month ago and really really liked it, it felt much better than my test drive with the Model 3 (which was also great, just not as good)

I want to thank whatever goon recommended that I wait. The website is accepting orders on the 2022 now, with deliveries scheduled for November

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I saw the six-hour semi in the Leper's Colony and I'm seriously wondering if anyone ever thought about idle times or, you know, just sitting at a dock to unload when designing this thing.

Range is one thing, but what about operation time? And is that seriously a permanently-attached and proprietary trailer? lmao

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

and starts at $45900, which may beat the Model 3 depending on how much of the federal tax credit you can claim.

Not with all the options you're adding lol. If you want power seats, a heat pump, and adaptive cruise control, there's 7.2k in options.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Not with all the options you're adding lol. If you want power seats, a heat pump, and adaptive cruise control, there's 7.2k in options.

Sure, at those prices I was just talking about base models. I think the heat pump is probably worth it, that's $4k and comes with power seats and a bunch of other stuff.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Sure, at those prices I was just talking about base models. I think the heat pump is probably worth it, that's $4k and comes with power seats and a bunch of other stuff.

Yeah but like...if you're looking to get a better deal than the model 3, those are all standard features on the model 3 aren't they? I mean if I was looking at that price range, I would consider it over a model 3 anyways just because I don't care for a lot of tesla "features". I guess it comes with power seats standard just not power recline or something and maybe not memory settings

Also, the WA sales tax thing cuts off at 45k sale price so that's another couple thousand

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 21, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Mods, please joke probe me with a six-hour semi.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LOL

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah but like...if you're looking to get a better deal than the model 3, those are all standard features on the model 3 aren't they? I mean if I was looking at that price range, I would consider it over a model 3 anyways just because I don't care for a lot of tesla "features". I guess it comes with power seats standard just not power recline or something and maybe not memory settings

Also, the WA sales tax thing cuts off at 45k sale price so that's another couple thousand

Sure, but then the Polestar has door handles instead of buttons and it's hard to put a price on all of that kind of stuff. I also found that the handling and comfort were simply better

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Just visiting London and there are so many electric cars compared to a couple of years ago. I've seen like 5 Taycans. Not too many Teslas as well which is good of course.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sonic Dude posted:

Edit: woah I read your post wrong. Not "back seats", you said "seat backs"

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 21, 2021

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Edit: woah I read your post wrong. Not "back seats", you said "seat backs"

Yeah, the back seats look like they were designed to be seats. The front seat backs look like they’re secretly a chair-golem ready to choke you to death and drink your sweet sweet juices.

I assume, in seriousness, that it’s for support/bolstering when on a track, drag strip, etc.? Is that a thing buyers of that model are actually going to do, or is it more of an “electrics are good and this is proof, also I’ll gap you at this stop light” situation?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MrPablo posted:

I really want to do this but I'm having a hard time justifying the $2,000.

Sorry to disappear for like 3 pages of speed limit chat, but I thought I lost a clip on earring the other day. After panic searching my interior, right before I turned around, it was in the back seat. Whoops :shobon:

marshmonkey posted:

Taycan photo shoot day:

Lord have mercy 🥵

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I can grab pics of particular details if there's something you're interested in seeing, but otherwise I mean it's a blue ID.4, there's a million pictures online taken by better photographers than me.

I'll try to give some more impressions in a few days. So far:

• It's pretty drat comfortable, and the fact that both seats are fully electric with preset capability was a factor in picking it over other EVs at comparable prices.
  • I think the glass roof is great, but this is the first time I've had a car with one so we'll see what I think long-term
  • It's smaller on the outside than you might think; it looks kinda big in pictures. It fits in parking spots nicely and actually seems to fit better in the garage than our old Camry did.
  • The "wave your hand at the screen" functionality is kind of pointless and hard to trigger anyway.
  • The voice recognition thing seems ok so far. I was able to make it start navigation to an address on the first try. You can also say things like "Tune to 88.5 FM", although "Tune to KQED" doesn't seem to work. Still working out exactly what commands are possible.
  • The steering wheel buttons are fine. I'd be interested to know how they're implemented, because they're not discrete buttons but it does click when you press.

We're signed up for the free Electrify America thing, but haven't tried it yet. I ought to see if there's any sign of software updates to allow "just plug it in" charging the way the Mach E does it; that was one of the most baffling things, seeing that Ford could do something VW can't... on a VW charger network.

Thanks , I've seen 2 ID4s in real life now, and they seem larger than I thought from pictures. They look pretty nice, and I was surprised how loud the sound they make was ( is that configurable?)

Are most things doable with real buttons? How much do you *have* to use the screen to drive the car?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUB1z5wr5p8

Rimic Nevera vs Tesla Plaid

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fuel Cell status update: I had to fill up at a blue hydrogen station last night because there's an outage at the plant that makes renewable hydrogen from landfill gas.

The blue hydrogen pump is literally at an oil terminal, just to drive the point home.

Felt weird man

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tayter Swift posted:

Fuel Cell status update: I had to fill up at a blue hydrogen station last night because there's an outage at the plant that makes renewable hydrogen from landfill gas.

The blue hydrogen pump is literally at an oil terminal, just to drive the point home.

Felt weird man

Blue/grey hydrogen is PR for big oil so it's natural to feel weird, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bone Crimes posted:

Thanks , I've seen 2 ID4s in real life now, and they seem larger than I thought from pictures. They look pretty nice, and I was surprised how loud the sound they make was ( is that configurable?)

Yeah there's one in my neighborhood now and it's pretty big looking. It definitely looks bulkier than all the Q5s, XC60s and CX-5s.

I was supposed to test drive the Polestar 2 this weekend but it tropical stormed and I didn't feel like it. There's a nationwide tour event that's kind of neat.