Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Quadding pre-Velious isn’t so great. I love to quad, but so many of the best spots for it don’t unlock till Velious.

Iceclad Ocean is kind of quadding 101 with Snow Cougars into Dire Wolves later. Into the 40s you get Ulthorks or Walruses in EW. Spirocs in Tim Deep are good. Wyverns in CS are *the* god tier quadding camp. (sadly it’s pretty easily overcamped) I believe I also did Othmir in CS back in the day.

Off the top of my head Spirocs are the only really great pre-Velious quadding camp. There are some Kunark spots that usually require assembling sets of four of the same thing in varied zones like Burning Woods or Skyfire that I don’t feel are really worth it. I never did Butcherblock Dwarves back in the day but I was told that was good pre-nerf.

Luminescent Staff is dirt cheap so it’s worth having one in your bag, but drat that thing feels bad to use without extended range focus from Luclin. Still nice to have to finish off runners or when you’re finishing a quad from OOM.

The real treat is when we get to POP and can quad HoH basement. That place is my home away from home. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I did TD raptors for a while back in the day on live, not sure how viable they are now, but it was definitely a chill quad experience as a druid.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
CS will be tough because the Wyvern hides are usually camped. Not sure what era that starts in force but it’s almost immediate on a tlp because of shawl questers and a handful of people will be racing to market and prepping for solstice earrings, and after that point you start getting all of the aid grimmel questers and bazaar grinders taking a turn through the bottleneck.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 12, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

MF_James posted:

I did TD raptors for a while back in the day on live, not sure how viable they are now, but it was definitely a chill quad experience as a druid.

I’ve been told Raptors are good, but I don’t have any experience with them myself. That’s another good pre-Velious option though. I’ve also been told Bloodgills in LOIO can be good for their range if you’re comfortable pulling underwater.

I did a few quads of the out of era Tim Deep pirates but they’ve got enough HP I ended up having to Lumi Staff way too much. Plus holy poo poo do they hit like a freight train. I barely dipped into melee range of a single pirate and got hit for 2x150 + a 600 damage backstab in a single combat round. So any mistakes with a quad would be instant death.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

BGrifter posted:

I’ve been told Raptors are good, but I don’t have any experience with them myself. That’s another good pre-Velious option though. I’ve also been told Bloodgills in LOIO can be good for their range if you’re comfortable pulling underwater.

I did a few quads of the out of era Tim Deep pirates but they’ve got enough HP I ended up having to Lumi Staff way too much. Plus holy poo poo do they hit like a freight train. I barely dipped into melee range of a single pirate and got hit for 2x150 + a 600 damage backstab in a single combat round. So any mistakes with a quad would be instant death.

I did raptors on live back in 2002. They're good until they're not. Hard to find a rez if you die though.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Indecisive posted:

quad kiting is something i've always heard about wizards doing but I haven't really found a good way to put it into practice so far in kunark, tried to do it in Skyfire and let me tell you, it did not go well. I do remember that Cobalt Scar is like a braindead easy place for it so I'll probably try that with velious, even tho I'm 60 already just to try it out

Raptors in Timorous Deep or dwarf guards were what I quadded before Velious

But Cobalt Scar is a decent place as well, but I never could really make it work, but once Luclin comes you can start quadding up there and really learn the spawn cycles and exact amount of time between spawns and how many quads you need to do for a single AA and doing a little math you only have to quad for 17 weeks straight to catch up

edit: I only read this thread for nostalgia, and I love it, so I looked up my favorite site and I forgot how far away raptor island was

Island 11 is the raptor island

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 12, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
It’s funny how perception works cause to me that’s close since I always come from Butcherblock and primarily went to TimDeep for my Druid epic Faydedar.

To me it’s the spirocs and pirates waaaaaaaaay up north that feel far away.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
most of my knowledge is from TAKP or P99 so take this with a grain of salt:

for quad-kiting in general as a WIZ< you're going to want sow pots or preferably jboots for the runspeed goodness. Luclin will make things easier with runspeed 3 AA.

CS wyverns are super easy. If Live is anything like p99, you can faction up with Dragons and the Wyverns kills will not incur faction hits, but will be indifferent or whatever your dragon faction is. Careful of Azureake (drake) or Yvolncarn (wyvern), they are quite tough for a Wiz to burn down and are immune to run speed changes.

you can also quad Suits of Sentient armor in WL but those are rather hard to find open in my experience (again, p99 not Live). They drop the purple Sentient armor set for SHDs, not sure if that's worth anything over there.

TD raptors are fine but they do run at near SoW speed as I recall, so it's harder for WIZ gather these up because unlike a druid you're trying to gather THEN snare, rather than snare + gather. They also have a rather large aggro range as I recall.

Another interesting option, if they haven't fixed it on Live/TLP, may be to quad in Dreadlands. on p1999, this place is packed with mobs that are still blue in the 50s. You can lev on top of the outside of Karnor's Castle by running from the zone wall toward the castle, bind yourself at the top of the ledge, and then pull stuff into the center area inside of the Castle geometry. Quad it down, Gate back out to the bind spot, and rinse+repeat. Really requires enough mobs to make it wokr, but is (on p99 at least) a completely safe place to quad since no mobs spawn inside of the castle area. But yeah, that might be too much of a weirdo p99 thing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Dreadlands is an option for sure on TLPs. I found it annoying for the same reasons I disliked quadding in Burning Woods or Skyfire though. I didn’t try the roof trick, but I think I’ve heard it mentioned in Druidchat?

Good reminder about the faction thing in CS. You definitely want to be non-KoS to CoV before trying it. Gonna be funny seeing Yvolcarn murdered on sight thanks to random loot instead of hanging around being annoying all the time. drat you Yvolcarn. :argh:

Anyone feel like posting a bunch of words about Beastlords on a TLP? I dismissed them originally cause Luclin felt far enough away I’d probably quit by then, but it’s looking more and more like I’ll stay subbed at least through PoP. I’d love to hear thoughts about twink gear and duoing with a Druid.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Can you transfer characters from Thornblade to Mischief yet?

I haven't played in a bit, but wouldn't mind moving my Wizard to mischief.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Malaria posted:

Can you transfer characters from Thornblade to Mischief yet?

I haven't played in a bit, but wouldn't mind moving my Wizard to mischief.

It should work I think? The character must be 30 days old to transfer.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Raptors in TD are great. They have an incredibly far agro range, so it's easy to get them running toward you, and they quad kite perfectly. Once you have them all grouped up, you won't even know there are four of them in there :)

I went to TD this past week to try kiting them with my bard, and it wasn't worth the trouble. Zero down time, but because they spawn so fast, and take time to knock off one by one. I was constantly running. I ended up needing to play levitate so I could abandon the camp after a few kills. Just to much busy work. I was also a couple levels late since half of them were light blue.

I have tried several dungeons now, Karnors being the most recent, and currently my favorite camp has been Disco in Seb. I'm 48 now, and that place seems to rake in the best experience and loot at this level.

I'm looking forward to when Veksar launches. It's one of my favorite dungeons.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Raptors in Timorous Deep or dwarf guards were what I quadded before Velious

But Cobalt Scar is a decent place as well, but I never could really make it work, but once Luclin comes you can start quadding up there and really learn the spawn cycles and exact amount of time between spawns and how many quads you need to do for a single AA and doing a little math you only have to quad for 17 weeks straight to catch up

edit: I only read this thread for nostalgia, and I love it, so I looked up my favorite site and I forgot how far away raptor island was

Island 11 is the raptor island

I spent a lot of time in Cobalt Scar quad kiting the Otter people, and the Wyverns. My CoV faction was maxed out for some reason I can't remember, so the zone was a cake walk for me as a Druid. Teleport directly there, and unless you're traveling over open ocean to Siren's, the zone is small.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
My Bard is level 51, and still enjoying it. I upgraded my Drum and Lute to the best available right now, but I am still using the vendor sold Flute. I have been looking for anything, but they are just not for sale. Not sure if it's because everyone has a Bard, or they don't drop frequently. I went to the Bard channel last night and asked and was met with several statements suggesting I skip Wind. "Only used for invis, so don't bother" and "Just get the Epic and you're fine". I use wind all the time for charms and mez. I don't know if folks are using Bards to their full potential...

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Floob posted:

I don't know if folks are using Bards to their full potential...

Most usually aren’t. Many bards are destined to become boxes, raid bards etc. And the ones that do have an eye for playing a more robust bard are gonna try and get to their epic as fast as they can.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I'm going to start doing the running around part of my Epic. I hadn't bothered because I remember how much of a bitch my Epic was when I did it on my Druid. But it does look like a good Epic to work on

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Floob posted:

I'm going to start doing the running around part of my Epic. I hadn't bothered because I remember how much of a bitch my Epic was when I did it on my Druid. But it does look like a good Epic to work on

Trakanon is gonna be the hardest part probably. Mischief is in velious now? Lot of guilds probably raiding that content on their offday or maybe one of their main nights still. It will be 3-4 groupable in luclin and by the end of pop the six boxers start farming it. Bard relevant epic all throughout, I guess songblade from time replaces it? We saw 4 of those in about 3.5 months.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
IIRC the Mystical Lute is sellable, even outside of the special servers, and bypasses the Trakanon part. You’d still need to do the pages, which bottlenecks at Eldrig the Old, but it’s much easier overall.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Well the Sleeper was awakened on Mischief. I don't know the specifics other than a Thornblade guild transferred over to release him and are transferring back. Smart move to monopolize Warden loot between the servers, but sucks for everyone else.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anarch posted:

Well the Sleeper was awakened on Mischief. I don't know the specifics other than a Thornblade guild transferred over to release him and are transferring back. Smart move to monopolize Warden loot between the servers, but sucks for everyone else.

Got to admire the amount of effort and money that went into that act of dickery. Still sucks of course.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Simply amazing lol

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Anarch posted:

Which guild was this, I need to resub to give them a high five. This is a new level of screwing with people.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Floob posted:

If you get to the part where you need Undead Dragon Guts, I have some in my bags I can MQ you if that works. I think the Kedge piece is the bottle neck.

Anarch posted:

Rumor has it that ST loot is still going to be on the tables once they fix it. I could see them being on the fence about it and deciding to do it just to spite people like this. I will laugh if they spent thousands worth of Krono and Transfers and it have no affect on the server.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Ok that’s hilarious. I’m sad I missed the Sleeper murderspree. If anyone has links or screenshots of angry nerds I’d love to see them.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Honestly if warden loot doesn’t still drop, this whole Tlp gimmick they went for would be a joke. This is supposed to be the gear up alts and gently caress about round.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
It's going to be interesting to see how Daybreak handles this. They are in a situation to allow people to wake the sleeper in their own DZ's. Nagafen and Vox can be done by players higher than lvl 54 (or whatever lvl they're locked to) in their DZ's.

Honestly, I would love to be able to go through all that content without having to worry about people sniping them.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Just had ST 2.0 loot drop off Statue, so they wont make money off primals.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Malt posted:

If you get to the part where you need Undead Dragon Guts, I have some in my bags I can MQ you if that works. I think the Kedge piece is the bottle neck.

Rumor has it that ST loot is still going to be on the tables once they fix it. I could see them being on the fence about it and deciding to do it just to spite people like this. I will laugh if they spent thousands worth of Krono and Transfers and it have no affect on the server.

I will probably take you up on that! I got them from somewhere before I knew what they were, and I tossed them out.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looks like the top guilds on the server are lobbying the dev team to change the loot drop rules now that they’re geared and farming for krono sales. There’s a big ole thread on the DPG forums about it with at least one dev clueless enough to fall for it.

On the bright side I’ve got all my Skyshrine quest pieces except the Tunic… and Dubious CoV faction. :negative:

I wonder if it’s possible to bind safely somewhere behind KT’s throne.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Not surprised that the devs put zero thought behind the random loot on a new tlp server.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

BGrifter posted:

Looks like the top guilds on the server are lobbying the dev team to change the loot drop rules now that they’re geared and farming for krono sales. There’s a big ole thread on the DPG forums about it with at least one dev clueless enough to fall for it.

On the bright side I’ve got all my Skyshrine quest pieces except the Tunic… and Dubious CoV faction. :negative:

dubious to ally cov took me around 2 hours of following a throne group and tagging their mobs and changing pick when they changed pick. I didn't ask permission, my guildmates were kind of aghast at that but lol i dont loving care

my whole guild is re-evaluating wtf they want to do for velious because they did not expect cov faction to be nearly this easy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Ad by Khad posted:

dubious to ally cov took me around 2 hours of following a throne group and tagging their mobs and changing pick when they changed pick. I didn't ask permission, my guildmates were kind of aghast at that but lol i dont loving care

my whole guild is re-evaluating wtf they want to do for velious because they did not expect cov faction to be nearly this easy

I got about five kills in a Throne group tonight before it got trained into oblivion. Got a ping off on Vindi though so that was nice. 66 points to Indifferent so it feels like progress. Hopefully I can get a decent Throne group sometime soon and knock it out.

The drama is at a full boil on the server. Apparently there’s a hot fix coming on Wednesday everyone is anxious about.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

eh the loot drops were totally hosed for velious, you had fuckin poo poo mobs in PoG who normally have jack poo poo dropping absolute top tier stuff, and spend hours clearing the hardest mobs in the game only to get loving cazic thule 1.0 loot, not the new stuff no his OLD pre-kunark garbage. my guild literally left open world TOV day 1 to go do a full loving DZ plane of growth clear because it was a better use of time. at least 1 raid dragon dropped literally no raid loot. garbage dragons in west wastes were dropping AOW loot. a total clusterfuck. i mean, it was obvious poo poo like this would happen and im sure some people would like it that way but eh.. people want to do the hard fun content and be rewarded for doing so with something better than some dudes 6 man box army can farm in a non raid zone.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So play a normal server?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

RCarr posted:

So play a normal server?

i mean if you want the wacky bullshit you want a private server not official

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Cov faction is easy with throne room groups. 3 picks and there's 0 downtime. 2 picks and there is some downtime. The hard part is picking over. The trick is you keep a character at the zoneline. When it's time to pick, everyone in the group camps except for zoneline guy. He picks. Everyone else logs back in and comes back in the pick at the spot they camped. Doesn't work in a raid, as camping drops raid.

COV armor is okay for casters and hybrids, bad for most squares. But I don't think it's a great upgrade to grind for in general. The shaman armor was not appreciably better except the legs/chest. Also, that level of optimization doesn't matter as it all gets blown away in Luclin. Honestly, growth legs were good enough for me for velious.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

RCarr posted:

So play a normal server?

Yeah, I'm kind of confused. Sounds like some of the drops might need to be tiered better or something, but also isn't this the point of the server? Like its whole gimmick?

It definitely means that there's little reason to really kill the toughest stuff, but that was going to be obvious a mile a way, and especially for something like aow. But who thought this server would be balanced?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of confused. Sounds like some of the drops might need to be tiered better or something, but also isn't this the point of the server? Like its whole gimmick?

It definitely means that there's little reason to really kill the toughest stuff, but that was going to be obvious a mile a way, and especially for something like aow. But who thought this server would be balanced?

There's a difference between balanced and obvious the devs just don't give a poo poo.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Indecisive posted:

it was obvious poo poo like this would happen

You’re correct here, you rolled on a server with custom loot rules.

Bahanahab posted:

There's a difference between balanced and obvious the devs just don't give a poo poo.

You mean the company rolling out cloned TLP servers yearly as cash grabs didn’t fully think out a completely different model of how drop itemization would work in what is the most confused expansion for mob lvl vs difficulty in size of group you need to kill them? Weird. Oh isn’t this entire expansion filled with level 60 dragons both open world and boss, and they previously confirmed items drop by mob level ?

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

onesixtwo posted:

You mean the company rolling out cloned TLP servers yearly as cash grabs didn’t fully think out a completely different model of how drop itemization would work in what is the most confused expansion for mob lvl vs difficulty in size of group you need to kill them? Weird. Oh isn’t this entire expansion filled with level 60 dragons both open world and boss, and they previously confirmed items drop by mob level ?

Exactly. I agree. The devs have already indicated they put as little thought and effort into the TLP servers as possible, and the random loot TLP servers are just putting an even bigger spotlight on their lack of efforts.