Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That photo just made my hands recoil as if a wrench slipped and I buried my knuckles into something.

Why do the cam sprockets also have helical gear teeth? Something for variable timing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

For those playing at home, here's the coolant bottle cursedshitbox recommended:

here's the coolant bottle that is fitted to the car now:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Why do the cam sprockets also have helical gear teeth? Something for variable timing?

Variable Valve Timing and also billable shop hours.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sarcastx posted:

Looks like I missed this post while I was replying to the other one (just saw it this morning).

Hadn't considered an electrical gremlin which - yeah, it's a Jaguar, but it's a Ford Jaguar so I figured this was less likely as 1990s Ford reliability was a remarkable step up for them. Will break out the multimeter this weekend.

(opens Google Images) OOOOOOOOH THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC.
edit: I will have to look at my options for sensing coolant level though - do you know if the VW sensor is electrically comparable, or if the existing Jag one fits?

Been there, done that - had a mate's shop sort that out the first week that I had the car. Didn't have the mechanical cojones to try a job like that one at the time - and while I might try it today, I still don't have the proprietary tools used throughout the process. ALSO WHAT WOULD WE PUT TIMING MARKS ON THE ENGINE FOR? WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO TOUCH THE TIMING?

They're both hall effect devices. Technically they work the same... Knowing Jag they could have inverted the state or someshit. (I don't 100% know for certain)
Even for a Ford Era Jag....that's not saying much about electrical prowess.

As for differing plumbing connections on the new bottle vs old... use the finest in brass plumbing. Build a manifold and T the proper inputs | outputs together but try to avoid mixing the two outside of the reservoir. If you orient the manifold in such a way that the bottle is at the highest point it'll air bleed fine.
If you have access to a 3d printer mounting said bottle is easy. If not just bend up some flat strap and shoot some paint on it.

Excellent. The later timing set should last the rest of the car's life.
I've done camchains on those fuckers without the proper tools. paint pen/scribe, basic trig, and patience goes a loooong way with those. (mark the hell out of everything before pulling the system down. If you're building up a shortblock, haha you poor bastard I feel your pain deeply. )

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST manual transmission.

What is this electrical box underneath the cup holder/change tray in the center console?

This car has been full of surprises (not surprising is that everything is broken)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Eclipse12 posted:

What is this electrical box underneath the cup holder/change tray in the center console?

This car has been full of surprises (not surprising is that everything is broken)

A quick googling shows it's the airbag module.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Any time you see yellow like that on modules, wiring, connectors etc it is a good indicator it has to do with the airbag system.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Is... is it installed backwards?

edit: oh, no its just the weird orientation of the photo

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Thanks! :)

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Eclipse12 posted:

Mister Kingdom posted:

A quick googling shows it's the airbag module.

I'm going to guess based on the fact that it's got directional instructions that it's probably an accelerometer or some sensor used to detect when there's been a substantial shift in momentum to trigger the airbags.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got into a scrape with a parking lot post. The side of the car doesn't appear to be deformed but the paint is scratched up. There's definitely a bunch of the post's white paint embedded into my dark gray, I don't know if the scratch is down to the metal or the primer.

My question is how realistic is this to for me to fix the damage or at least make it not immediately obvious? Are there things I can try on my own without a significant risk of ruining it further?

If it helps it's a 2012 Toyota Camry.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got into a scrape with a parking lot post. The side of the car doesn't appear to be deformed but the paint is scratched up. There's definitely a bunch of the post's white paint embedded into my dark gray, I don't know if the scratch is down to the metal or the primer.

My question is how realistic is this to for me to fix the damage or at least make it not immediately obvious? Are there things I can try on my own without a significant risk of ruining it further?

If it helps it's a 2012 Toyota Camry.

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

get the kit that matches your car, watch some YouTube vids, do a little sanding, apply a little primer/paint/topcoat

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://www.automotivetouchup.com/

get the kit that matches your car, watch some YouTube vids, do a little sanding, apply a little primer/paint/topcoat

Awesome, thank you! Is there an equivalent website for Canada?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Awesome, thank you! Is there an equivalent website for Canada?

Brush it with some maple syrup and it will be fine till next year when winter will destroy your car anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The first step is getting the white paint off and then evaluating. When something similar happened to me I think I used a combination of my fingernail and some mild rubbing compound.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Please tell me if there’s a better thread for this. Our windshield got hit with a rock yesterday that caused a small chip. Was going to bring it into Safelite today since I thought it could be repaired, but overnight the crack expanded and I think the whole windshield needs to be replaced.

Geico wants to send me to Safelite as their preferred vendor for this type of thing. Is that fine, or should I look for other options? Car is a 2020 XC90

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Please tell me if there’s a better thread for this. Our windshield got hit with a rock yesterday that caused a small chip. Was going to bring it into Safelite today since I thought it could be repaired, but overnight the crack expanded and I think the whole windshield needs to be replaced.

Geico wants to send me to Safelite as their preferred vendor for this type of thing. Is that fine, or should I look for other options? Car is a 2020 XC90

Safelite could be fine, but demand OEM glass and make sure everything works after replacement (rain sensor, all the other forward facing sensors you've got) before leaving. I've had wildly varying safelite experiences depending on location/tech.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I did a windshield at SafeLite and they did fine. A word of caution though, my car requires OEM glass due to my collision avoidance system (Subaru uses cameras) and I had to fight tooth and nail to get SL and my insurer to put that on the car instead of their brand.

Edit: OEM glass boys :respek:

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Ok good to know. So as long as I make sure they use OEM glass, I’ll give Safelite a go. Thanks y’all.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, I figure I'll take my lumps for this online too--I miiiiight have filled my partner's Prius up halfway with diesel. Fortunately(?) I noticed what I'd done before starting it up and I could get a tow but here I am stranded in a tiny town where nothing is open on Sundays wondering exactly how much trouble I'm in.

...so, uh, how much trouble am I in?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

You didn't start it, you'll be fine. Just whatever the local place is gonna wring you for to drain the tank. (and the cost of the diesel you pumped into it)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah if you can drain a tank yourself just do that.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah the two things I was worried about was if anyone around here had a siphon/pump, or if there was something funny about hybrids that would make draining it harder.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Might be easier to use the fuel pump to pump it out. Disconnect the fuel hose from the engine and plumb it to a can, take out the back seat and pry up the pump access cover and put 12v to the pump. Let it run until it's empty, put gas in it and run it some more to clear the lines.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah the two things I was worried about was if anyone around here had a siphon/pump, or if there was something funny about hybrids that would make draining it harder.

Being a hybrid won't make it harder, but most modern vehicles have multiple things that will make it nearly impossible to siphon fuel through the neck (screens, foot vales to prevent fuel from spilling in a rollover, etc).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

simply find the gas tank under the car and drill a hole in it to let the diesel out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Aren't diesel filler nozzles larger everywhere?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Aren't diesel filler nozzles larger everywhere?

I have this same question every time I hear about this happening. The only answers I've gotten have been people jamming the diesel nozzle in as far as it will go and dribbling fuel in or a lovely gas station that replaced a diesel nozzle with whatever they had laying around.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lots of gas stations (in the West at least) will have two diesel pumps - one with the large gauge handle for commercial vehicles, and one with the regular gauge for consumer vehicles (this photo has the regular, smaller gauge). Usually the diesel pump is green, but not always.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah if I'd been thinking at all I'd have noticed the nozzle looked different but it fit in fine, didn't have to use force or anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lots of gas stations (in the West at least) will have two diesel pumps - one with the large gauge handle for commercial vehicles, and one with the regular gauge for consumer vehicles (this photo has the regular, smaller gauge). Usually the diesel pump is green, but not always.

It's funny because I'm Europe the colors are reversed, diesel is black and gasoline is green.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've got a 2011ish Nissan Quest minivan that is having issues starting up. It happened in the dead of a heatwave, but I have no idea if that precipitated anything. It was able to start with jumper cables, but never by itself. My initial thought was that the battery poo poo the bed, so I replaced that, but it's still not starting. I did notice that the old battery had bowed-out sides (water battery), but again, if it was the battery then a new one should have fixed it. Also around the same time, mixed signals among multiple drivers of the vehicle resulted in too much oil getting added (it also has a slow oil leak), which may contribute to this issue, or may not. I have no clue.

I've driven the vehicle around for about 30 minutes after jumping it with the new battery in it, and afterwards it still wouldn't start. I did notice that after replacing the battery, none of the electrical systems in the vehicle seemed to work at all, but after driving a while, it still wouldn't start the vehicle but seemed to have a little more life, electrically speaking. Another oddity is that I shut off the switch to the power doors, which I assume should mean the vehicle no longer should try to assist with opening or closing the side doors (and that's how it worked before these problems began), but it still tries to open and close them for us.

Every shop I've called is either booked out for weeks or doesn't do work on electrical systems, so I'm throwing this out in hopes that there is some solution within my limited skills like "oh yeah you just gotta drive it for like an hour to fully recharge the alternator" or "just pull this fuse so your stupid doors stop killing the battery you big dumb jerk." Or even "yeah your alternator has car covid. Rust in piss" would be a good place for me to start. Thanks car goons.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Did it initially start with the new battery, and then after a couple of days it stopped working? Or did the new battery do nothing at all?

When you try to start it, does it:

- make a cranking noise and turn over but not start?
- make a clicking noise from somewhere but no cranking noise?
- do nothing at all?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Do you have a multimeter and do you know how to use it?

I do not have one, I have the faintest familiarity with them.

Sagebrush posted:

Did it initially start with the new battery, and then after a couple of days it stopped working? Or did the new battery do nothing at all?

When you try to start it, does it:

- make a cranking noise and turn over but not start?
- make a clicking noise from somewhere but no cranking noise?
- do nothing at all?

The new battery was a completely ineffective repair. It did not start before or after the replacement. When I try to start it on its own, I hear a clicking sound from what sounds like behind me in the rear passenger side. When I turn on ACC power, I hear a faint whirring/grinding from the front of the van.
The power doors are always very weak, struggling to open the door against a slight incline.

After this I've got a hosed up Subaru Outback to fix, too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Organic Lube User posted:

The new battery was a completely ineffective repair. It did not start before or after the replacement. When I try to start it on its own, I hear a clicking sound from what sounds like behind me in the rear passenger side. When I turn on ACC power, I hear a faint whirring/grinding from the front of the van.
The power doors are always very weak, struggling to open the door against a slight incline.

This sounds a lot like a battery cable issue. Probably a rotten ground cable.

It's time for pictures.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

This sounds a lot like a battery cable issue. Probably a rotten ground cable.

It's time for pictures.

Here's the battery and a little more of the negative cable. That's probably all I can actually get a pic of without removing other things. https://imgur.com/a/3PmO6O9

Another symptom that I just noticed, when I went back out to my van after trying to start it just a little while ago, I heard a clicking sound coming from the rear passenger side. Not the same as when I was starting it, but weaker or fainter. I didn't notice it earlier after turning off the car (as much as one can turn off cars with pushbutton starters). I opened the door and hit the hazard lights button (it was a similar sound to the blinker) and toggled it on and back off and the sound stopped.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Well, I figure I'll take my lumps for this online too--I miiiiight have filled my partner's Prius up halfway with diesel. Fortunately(?) I noticed what I'd done before starting it up and I could get a tow but here I am stranded in a tiny town where nothing is open on Sundays wondering exactly how much trouble I'm in.

...so, uh, how much trouble am I in?

I dunno, how forgiving is your partner? It might just be a few nights on the couch.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

spankmeister posted:

It's funny because I'm Europe the colors are reversed, diesel is black and gasoline is green.

This bit me hard when I rented a car in the UK. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Organic Lube User posted:

Another symptom that I just noticed, when I went back out to my van after trying to start it just a little while ago, I heard a clicking sound coming from the rear passenger side. Not the same as when I was starting it, but weaker or fainter. I didn't notice it earlier after turning off the car (as much as one can turn off cars with pushbutton starters). I opened the door and hit the hazard lights button (it was a similar sound to the blinker) and toggled it on and back off and the sound stopped.

Likely to be the fuel pump trying to turn on but isn't able to because you have a ground issue.