Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Hadlock posted:

Is there any development happening with a vaccine based on delta variant, presumably it would be more effective? Or is the vaccine originally developed in January 2020 still the best bet for 2022

in like june pfizer said they were starting trials for a delta specific booster IIRC. but it will probably be some time before it's getting in any arms. the furthest along booster is a B.1.351 that modern has in phase 3 trials now.... but oopsie all that variant is gone and pushed out by delta. it will still be interesting to see how the b.1.351 booster fares against a different variant though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gets really stinky and it's slower to break things down. We're on aerobic septic and we could tell when our neighbor's broke for a few months.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

covid causing water shortages and boil orders

what a time to be alive

Do you think Orlando restaurants close down because they don't have potable water?

COVID patients and Hepatitis patients battling it out in ER waiting rooms

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

They're just going to rebrand to The Expanse

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

osprey posted:

there was a UK health care worker study a while back showing surgical mask wearers were 47x more likely to become infected than FFP3 (UK version of N99) mask wearers. it would be a bit less for KN94/N95 but they're still significant upgrades from a surgical

From fifteen pages ago, but I think you misread the study. Healthcare workers with covid-positive patients were 47 times more likely to get infected at work than healthcare workers with covid-negative patients. The respirators caused a 50-100% reduction in infections in red wards (covid+), but the sample size is too small to know more precisely exactly how good they are. It does line up with the CDC slides saying N95s are 90%+ effective, and surgicals are around 80%.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mastershakeman posted:

At school orientation, the whole plan hinges on no rainy days and everyone playing outside with masks on.

Got to see the K setup, it's just tables of 4 and they said positive case= everyone at table is quarantined and Skypes in to watch the other kids have fun in class

What are you complaining about? Either it rains and everyone gets to drink fresh water, or it doesn't rain and everyone gets to play outside. That's a win/win!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Diet Coke will save us all.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

McNugget Buddy posted:

Do you think Orlando restaurants close down because they don't have potable water?

YOU have to conserve so capital doesn't have to.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

in like june pfizer said they were starting trials for a delta specific booster IIRC. but it will probably be some time before it's getting in any arms. the furthest along booster is a B.1.351 that modern has in phase 3 trials now.... but oopsie all that variant is gone and pushed out by delta. it will still be interesting to see how the b.1.351 booster fares against a different variant though

Pfizer's slides said "pre-clinical research" on a Delta-specific booster is supposed to begin this month

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Doctor posted:

yeah my father gets mad at me every time I try to inform about what’s going on with COVID (or anything really) and he just gets so mad I would dare burst that bubble. like drat dude I am trying to protect you??

Me: "I think it was really dishonest for this event to post on Twitter they were mandating vaccines but not verifying, and you wouldn't know that unless you checked their website because they didn't say that in the tweet. I was trying to convince them the honor system won't work"

Them: "Well people are just going to have to make their own choices. Why don't you volunteer then if you want to see change?"

:doh:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Louisgod posted:

lol gently caress you Florida you failed state I say to myself as my state catches on fire every summer and snow is no longer a thing.

Joke's on you. My state now catches on fire every summer and gets snow every winter (thus preventing anybody from being able to go outside safely on the frozen as gently caress hills), neither of which used to happen.

mod sassinator posted:

wonder what kind of totally unintended consequences we'll see from turning that oxygen off. maybe just giant algae blooms that ruin the plants and hardware, necessitating complete shutdown and loss of water treatment for months

Don't be absurd. That sort of thing only happens in third-world countries.

Hang on. I'm getting an update.

Oh. Oh, gently caress . . .

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Can't wait for Elon Musk to promise to deliver oxygen concentrators from his space program, have them not work, then call the orlando city council pedophiles

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Florida: "Grew a watermelon in a box for a science project. Came out square. About this wide, this high..."
me: "are they hypoxic?"

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Salt Fish posted:

What are you complaining about? Either it rains and everyone gets to drink fresh water, or it doesn't rain and everyone gets to play outside. That's a win/win!

Boomers coughing up a lung and stepping outside their Florida residence every morning to pray for rain was not expected, but not at all surprising

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Goddamnit I thought I had to wait another 40 years for Tank Girl to become real.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

skewetoo posted:

Wouldn't care if this didn't kill so many inmates

yea, a sane legal system would tell them to gently caress off in about 5 seconds flat.

they have a responsibility to people in their care and those people get no choice RE: exposure

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rubby posted:

lol. just lmao. I don't know who this is even for other than you but you told me to MAKE THE THING and internet law demands THING MADE

also Threadless marketing has been drowning me in emails saying I am missing out on retirement boat money by not doing a DOUBLE SIDED DESIGN so who am I, a certified donkey brained moron to doubt the marketing department?

I am a HackerRespirator Crew and this is my.. manifesto

YOU CAN BUY THIS ENTIRELY UNNECESSARY THING HERE: :pcgaming:https://rubby.threadless.com/designs/no-one-will-save-you/mens/t-shirt/regular?variation=front-back&color=black:pcgaming:

or don't. probably don't, actually. this poo poo has been run into the ground already

and also buy buttons, fridge magnets, or bottle openers(2.25" only) of it here! (if you want magnets or bottle openers, put it in the comment)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

As long as we just kill the sex pests off camera that’s fine.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Feel we may be getting shock-doctrined here but I can't tell how deliberate it is.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

StashAugustine posted:

in the books the crew didn't take too many showers and at times the water ended up smelling like poo poo because of how many times it was recycled

the future is going to be great

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Orlando's in the process of a big treatment plant upgrade. They're using liquid O2 to dose aerobic digestors because their current infrastructure can't keep up with their influent levels.

Boil water's not a huge deal for their plant, the big thing to worry about is if their sludge gets overloaded or doesn't circulate properly the entire system will have to be taken offline. A system of their size could take a week or longer to get back up and running if they gently caress up their sludge digestors.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

posting rates rising

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Orlando's in the process of a big treatment plant upgrade. They're using liquid O2 to dose aerobic digestors because their current infrastructure can't keep up with their influent levels.

Boil water's not a huge deal for their plant, the big thing to worry about is if their sludge gets overloaded or doesn't circulate properly the entire system will have to be taken offline. A system of their size could take a week or longer to get back up and running if they gently caress up their sludge digestors.

desantis is a giant sludge digestor, what if we throw him in there?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Mr. Pizza posted:

posting rates rising

Open Lowtax.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Louisgod posted:

in the books the crew didn't take too many showers and at times the water ended up smelling like poo poo because of how many times it was recycled

the future is going to be great

I loved the scene in the show where Miller's shower cuts out and he ends up using the shower at a crime scene later in the day

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe someone should do something...not yet though. I mean, obviously you'd want to do something before a lot of people wound up going to the hospital. but that hasn't happened yet. so maybe sometime in the future someone should do something?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

anyone who believes lollapalooza was 90% vaccinated and had only 302 cases is the biggest loving rube on the face of the planet and it infuriates me how many locals believe it wholesale

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

maybe someone should do something...not yet though. I mean, obviously you'd want to do something before a lot of people wound up going to the hospital. but that hasn't happened yet. so maybe sometime in the future someone should do something?

:effort:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

zegermans posted:

Can't wait for Elon Musk to promise to deliver oxygen concentrators from his space program, have them not work, then call the orlando city council pedophiles

Man those were simpler times

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

anyone who believes lollapalooza was 90% vaccinated and had only 302 cases is the biggest loving rube on the face of the planet and it infuriates me how many locals believe it wholesale

It's also a classic example of spin and lying by Lightfoot administration to create a big citywide super spreader event while acting like it had no consequences.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisaurus Sex posted:

that's actually all fine and nobody needs to do anything differently. it's not like there is some kind of crisis happening or anything. everything is actually super great.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

StashAugustine posted:

I loved the scene in the show where Miller's shower cuts out and he ends up using the shower at a crime scene later in the day

lol I haven't seen the show but have read the books and don't remember that, that's pretty good

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Buck Wildman posted:

To some degree, I think it's just a defense mechanism.

if you're just a random person in Chicago what good does it do you to know that everyone's lying to you? You have no power or control, you can't change anything. You could call your mayor (lol) or your governor (slightly less lol), but their hands are tied and it's obvious no one is going to really do anything major.

If you just believe the lie or don't care your life gets no worse and you can at least enjoy watching TV or whatever normal people do without driving yourself insane.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Uh, I think you'll find that Red Lobster has unveiled a Brand New Menu so I'm not sure what much more else you want anybody to do

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

and also buy buttons, fridge magnets, or bottle openers(2.25" only) of it here! (if you want magnets or bottle openers, put it in the comment)

do you sell stickers or no

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

disney chat reminds me of back in 2020 when the 'rona was just kicking off and poo poo hadn't closed down yet. there was this streamer lady who made videos at Disney world and she was streaming at the park while obviously suffering from some kind of horrible sickness. her friend posted that she was "vomiting from every hole" or some such.

anyway, she's probably dead now.

she's not and I used to work for her boss. She's a disney food blog person.

mod sassinator posted:

lmao

some super nerds are going to pay $5,000 for two nights of star wars cosplaying hotel fun... and have to boil the loving water in their space hotel room and take a quick shower with their mouth closed the entire time

you can't boil water in one of those hotel rooms except for (I assume) a coffee maker. The only rooms you'd be able to boil water in are the studios and larger, and the cabins over at fort wilderness.

lack of potable water would make disney close.

that would be the one good thing I guess.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soap Scum posted:

do you sell stickers or no

I do not yet, been considering it though. I have the apparatus for buttons, and would have to outsource the stickers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

lack of potable water would make disney close.

that would be the one good thing I guess.

they would just switch to bottled water for everything

and charge the guests

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
god will boil florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
i'm sure this is totally sustainable and normal

https://www.al.com/news/2021/08/6181-alabama-children-diagnosed-with-covid-in-2-weeks-5-times-more-than-2020.html

quote:

According to the Alabama Department of Public Health, between Aug. 1-12 of 2020, Alabama had 1,356 reports of COVID in patients ages 5-17. That number soared to 6,181 for the same age range for the same time period of 2021.

In the past four weeks, 6.2% of cases of COVID-19 in Alabama have been among children 0-4 years of age while 8.1% have been in the 5 to 17 age range. The current percent positive rate in people ages 5-17 in Alabama is higher than the state average, with at least 27 percent of COVID tests in children being positive.