Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DelilahFlowers posted:

That's not the hohenzollern mod, that's the ccHFM mod with shattered world. He's only playing as hohenzollern, you rube.

Yeah that'd be difficult to do since Hohenzollern was played in Victoria 1, V2 hadn't even come out at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I just saw the title "victoria hohenzollern mod" and posted before investigating :(

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1428012793836589064

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
A Pickelhaube in Smolensk... where's our country-specific military hat icon dlc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When paradox announced Pickelhaube in Russia it tore away something, it prevented me from feeling slavic.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
wait I did some checking and it turns out the Russians wore them too for a while so I suppose this actually checks out

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
No skilled labourers? What about carpenters, smiths and masons?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Buller posted:

No skilled labourers? What about carpenters, smiths and masons?

If it works like Vicky 2, then "clerks" represent most skilled laborers. With probably many others falling into the "engineer" and "machinist" categories depending on how you wanna define "skilled laborers."

Pakled fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 18, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Takanago posted:

A Pickelhaube in Smolensk... where's our country-specific military hat icon dlc.

Pops have CK3 style models with unique clothes based on culture and religion. If we don't get a dlc to influence national fashion, I riot.

HoI: tank designer
Vicky: Epaulette designer

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

S.P. A.A. Epaulette mk9

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Dev Diary #11 - Employment and Qualifications
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-11-employment-and-qualifications.1487723/

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I'm getting nervous. Just about every design they reveal sounds excellent and very well constructed. What's the catch? The entire game crashes two years in due to an underflow bug in fish markets right?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kaza42 posted:

I'm getting nervous. Just about every design they reveal sounds excellent and very well constructed. What's the catch? The entire game crashes two years in due to an underflow bug in fish markets right?

All the designs have been great but of course the problem is "can they actually pull it off". Its like yeah on paper a stellaris expansion mentioning "much better planet construction AI" would be a game-fixing addition and obviously a good idea, the question is if they can actually do it (they couldn't). Victoria 3 is setting a lot of ambitious systems with a ton of moving parts in the background, all areas rife for algorithms that don't quite work, AI's that have trouble making reasonable choices, tricky balance issues.

But you also have a lot of games out there with bad design-level ideas that are also badly implemented. At least having a foundation of good ideas you can hopefully eventually get those good ideas running smoothly. Bad designs can't be fixed as easily as you have to come up with a whole new design on top of making it work as intended. Although sometimes a good design intention that sounds great on paper ends up being bad because no one can ever get it working in intended (ie half of stellaris) and you end up needing to come up with a whole new design that's a little more realistic from a a "can we get this working reliably and as intended" perspective. I just hope V3 is being designed with those sort of limitations in mind, that the ideas can be backed up by actual working code.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your rule of thumb for 'how is this pdx game gonna be hosed' is 'the ai is poo poo' and i have no reason to believe otherwise. for something this complicated i would be pulling out the big guns ai wise and pdx cannot afford the peeps who know how to pull out the big guns. so they get a pile of jank heuristics like every other pdx game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been reading through a bunch of marx recently and its giving me a lot of confidence that so many of the dev diaries mention economic, production, and class theories almost word for word.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I've been reading through a bunch of marx recently and its giving me a lot of confidence that so many of the dev diaries mention economic, production, and class theories almost word for word.

Even if you disagree with Marx's solutions, you have to admit he described the economic structure of the era remarkably well. They'd be fools not to crib from Marx.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

Even if you disagree with Marx's solutions, you have to admit he described the economic structure of the era remarkably well. They'd be fools not to crib from Marx.

Asiatic mode of production

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

All the designs have been great but of course the problem is "can they actually pull it off". Its like yeah on paper a stellaris expansion mentioning "much better planet construction AI" would be a game-fixing addition and obviously a good idea, the question is if they can actually do it (they couldn't). Victoria 3 is setting a lot of ambitious systems with a ton of moving parts in the background, all areas rife for algorithms that don't quite work, AI's that have trouble making reasonable choices, tricky balance issues.

But you also have a lot of games out there with bad design-level ideas that are also badly implemented. At least having a foundation of good ideas you can hopefully eventually get those good ideas running smoothly. Bad designs can't be fixed as easily as you have to come up with a whole new design on top of making it work as intended. Although sometimes a good design intention that sounds great on paper ends up being bad because no one can ever get it working in intended (ie half of stellaris) and you end up needing to come up with a whole new design that's a little more realistic from a a "can we get this working reliably and as intended" perspective. I just hope V3 is being designed with those sort of limitations in mind, that the ideas can be backed up by actual working code.

Hearts of Iron 4 has a lot of bad mechanics, that are completely ignored in a bunch of really really good story total conversions. I anticipate the mods for Vicky 3 are going to be better than the base game.

It's a shame Stellaris doesn't have a ton of those, aside from New Horizons (which I haven't played, but heard good things about).

EDIT: got the name wrong.

TwoQuestions fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 19, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm already hard for TNO: V3 edition

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really curious if you're going for a classless society if that's even possible within the game mechanics. Absolutely you'd have worker-owner factories, but I wonder if there will be special laws to equalize all wages in factories so labourers and machinists and engineers all get the same wage. Or to even do this on a national level, to even out wages between buildings. I hope there's options for all of the above! Simply having factories worker-controlled but still paying wages and still concerned with profits and competition between firms would be a good way to model some sort of syndicalism, but to achieve "full communism" you'd need options to fully abolish class. Hell it would be amazing to see options to abolish money, having citizens simply take needed goods from the economy regardless of employment status, simply equally distributed based on need and availability.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd imagine it'd have to be very abstracted for that stuff. You still need in-game money being produced and consumed to keep the wheels of the international economy moving. Laws that let you put it together in your head are good enough for me

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Asiatic mode of production

Ok fair.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Just because he went on weird racist diatribes on occasion doesn't make the rest of his analysis invalid or any less correct, especially compared to contemporaries spouting similar level of racist bullshit.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Marxism Simulator 2022 really isn't the worst way to do a 19th century game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait are people suprised 19th century people were racist? They literally all are.

No real point cancelling them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

kinda hyped for next weeks diary; wanna see if they're doing anything cool with deficits

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really curious if you're going for a classless society if that's even possible within the game mechanics. Absolutely you'd have worker-owner factories, but I wonder if there will be special laws to equalize all wages in factories so labourers and machinists and engineers all get the same wage. Or to even do this on a national level, to even out wages between buildings. I hope there's options for all of the above! Simply having factories worker-controlled but still paying wages and still concerned with profits and competition between firms would be a good way to model some sort of syndicalism, but to achieve "full communism" you'd need options to fully abolish class. Hell it would be amazing to see options to abolish money, having citizens simply take needed goods from the economy regardless of employment status, simply equally distributed based on need and availability.

Wages no but ownership yes, we have economic models where all workers get an equal share of the profits.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Gonna occupy the entire world so we can finally abolish Jobs once and for all

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Gonna occupy the entire world so we can finally abolish Jobs once and for all

Wow okay bud, FFT was easily the best game of the series sorry it didn't appeal to you but don't ruin it for the rest of us

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wiz posted:

Wages no but ownership yes, we have economic models where all workers get an equal share of the profits.

That's exciting, specially since it sounds like all those social/economic/government policies are fairly decoupled from each other unlike previous victoria games. I hope we'll have the freedom to do really odd things like a monarchy with worker-owned industries or just any mix of models.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Baronjutter posted:

That's exciting, specially since it sounds like all those social/economic/government policies are fairly decoupled from each other unlike previous victoria games. I hope we'll have the freedom to do really odd things like a monarchy with worker-owned industries or just any mix of models.

Bees???

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

good news: it's confirmed but it will probably require some crusader kings-esque hilarious fuckery to do it effectively

since many parts are uncoupled but tied to the specific politics of interest groups which have their own tendencies and biases, having Alexander III, tsar of all workers' russias should be doable with some extreme hijinks

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just so love the incredibly weird stories that can develop in some paradox games. "Through a crazy series of events the UK is entirely relegated to Ireland which became the Republic of Britain, Communist france invaded england but later an english rebellion took over which had a wargoal to restore the UK, which still existed but was a republic so a new monarchy was formed. But since communist france had set their factories and a majority of the population into supporting worker-owned factories the newly created Social Kingdom of England formed which is now at war with the republic of Britain over in ireland"

Just live for that poo poo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gaius Marius posted:

Wow okay bud, FFT was easily the best game of the series sorry it didn't appeal to you but don't ruin it for the rest of us

I want you to know your joke is appreciated.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
devereaux has another dealio out, with an implicit question to pdx

https://acoup.blog/2021/08/20/collections-teaching-paradox-victoria-ii-part-ii-the-ruin-of-war/

quote:

At the same time, Gat notes that human societies didn’t suddenly reinvent themselves in 1900. We have all of these institutions, these social habits, these values, these works of literature and culture which were produced to help our societies survive in the environment of competitive militarism that existed before 1900. It is hard to stress the magnitude of the shift Gat is talking about here – taking the modern state, the most efficient violence-machine ever developed by humans – and putting it in a world where war is maladaptive is roughly like dropping a polar bear in the Serengeti. Everything that bear has ever learned is suddenly pretty useless or actively harmful. So societies entered this brave new industrial world with a whole lot of habits and institutions designed to push them towards war because war used to be how one profited and survived.

And I think it is the commanding triumph of Vicky2‘s design that this very effect is produced not out of some railroading nor because the game makes a ‘war-is-bad’ sad-face at you, but as a product of the mechanics. I do not actually even think that the designers here had Gat or his theories in mind (Johan may happily correct me if I am wrong). Rather, the triumph here is that in producing a historical simulation which came close enough (with all of its many flaws) to simulating both the rising gains to capital and the rising destructiveness of war, Vicky2 produces this interaction as emergent gameplay.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yes! very good reflections on the game. Vicky has been the only paradox game where war feels costly and can leave permanent scars on history. Seeing a huge dip in your population and economy from that time you lost 4 million people in an utterly pointless war no one got anything out of is something that you don't see in other paradox games. Not even stellaris with whole mechanics around genocide really capture that feeling of impact, of loss.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

War is often harder on the aggressor than the aggressed

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

War is an extension of economics

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

War is often harder on the aggressor than the aggressed

Is this Somme kind of profound point?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Yes! very good reflections on the game. Vicky has been the only paradox game where war feels costly and can leave permanent scars on history. Seeing a huge dip in your population and economy from that time you lost 4 million people in an utterly pointless war no one got anything out of is something that you don't see in other paradox games. Not even stellaris with whole mechanics around genocide really capture that feeling of impact, of loss.

Yeah I've always felt one of the key problems with the pops in Stellaris is that there is functionally no impact on them in warfare, unless you are losing. You can get a million of your own ships blown up, send a million armies to their doom trying to assault planets, but so long as none of your own planets get occupied/bombarded, none of this has any impact on your population, because these are all things that are produced with resources and the people are abstracted out of the equation.