Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

gently caress me, Federal ICAC now. This corruption is so loving defeating. Gas lead recovery in the world of 2021. 10 years to 1.5C. What a pack of absolute cunts.

how do you even fix this? rotten to the core, on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

huh. Positive case in regional Vic, linked to the local primary school system, no lockdown. Dan getting up and saying we all need to make good choices this weekend.

Dictator Dan not dictating hard enough imo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Gladys just said "now is the time to bunker down" so to be sure to cancel all the gallery openings and black tie dinners you had booked in the coming months

Today I am before you to once again state that we have the strongest possible lockdown of anyone ever, it could not possibly be stronger, anyone who asks for that is ignorant of how strong our lockdown is.

Today I am also before you to announce another strengthening of the lockdown.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Trying to figure out the "strengthened lockdown" changes as we live in a spicy LGA and uhhh, looks like my partner can't get stoned and order ridiculously expensive ice-cream at 12am anymore.
I am very pro this. Thanks gladdy. Thaddy.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Melbourne looks like it's entering the own zone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Trying to figure out the "strengthened lockdown" changes as we live in a spicy LGA and uhhh, looks like my partner can't get stoned and order ridiculously expensive ice-cream at 12am anymore.
I am very pro this. Thanks gladdy. Thaddy.

this was my only concern tbh and I am furious

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
6 more cases in Shepparton

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Amoeba102 posted:

They're the kind of people that admire the mayor in Jaws.

I recently found out that British PM Boris Johnson once said the mayor in Jaws was one of his favourite movie characters :stare:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Tommunist posted:

Regional lockdown in 3....2....

Ah well was nice while it lasted.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I recently found out that British PM Boris Johnson once said the mayor in Jaws was one of his favourite movie characters :stare:

Exactly what I'm referencing. "Brave enough to do nothing", ignoring the deaths, etc.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

freebooter posted:

Gladys just said "now is the time to bunker down" so to be sure to cancel all the gallery openings and black tie dinners you had booked in the coming months

I had a mind crush YuGiOh style when they announced a mask mandate across the state, wtf has been going on for the last 2 months?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:guillotine: anyone who thinks letting other people die to score political points is "courage".

woofbro posted:

I had a mind crush YuGiOh style when they announced a mask mandate across the state, wtf has been going on for the last 2 months?

Senor Tron posted:

Today I am before you to once again state that we have the strongest possible lockdown of anyone ever, it could not possibly be stronger, anyone who asks for that is ignorant of how strong our lockdown is.

Today I am also before you to announce another strengthening of the lockdown.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABCmediawatch/status/1428495793363636227?s=20

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Amoeba102 posted:

Exactly what I'm referencing. "Brave enough to do nothing", ignoring the deaths, etc.

There are people out there more alien to me than anything that could exist in space.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

Lol they're up to 12.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Herald sun reporting a huge Melbourne anti lockdown protest is being planned for Saturday. :discourse:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
excited for the plebiscite on whether to open up/end lockdown or not

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eediot Jedi posted:

Herald sun reporting a huge Melbourne anti lockdown protest is being planned for Saturday. :discourse:

Huge anti-vax protest planned in Kyoto too, so good to see that everywhere is having a real normal one at the moment.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I love how helpful and clear the new rules are. From Monday I don't have to get tested every 72 hours and from next Saturday I need to have a permit to drop stock off at work but I don't think I can because of this bit.

quote:

Authorised workers who work outside their LGA of concern are only permitted to work if rapid antigen testing is implemented at their work-site or they have had their first vaccination dose by 30 August.

Fun!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

bowmore posted:

excited for the plebiscite on whether to open up/end lockdown or not

Please don't suggest this to the lnp, they'll do it in a heartbeat. It'll be phrased like "should we let rip at A) 50% vaccine coverage, B) 70% vaccine coverage or C) 100% vaccine coverage"

GoldStandardConure posted:

Huge anti-vax protest planned in Kyoto too, so good to see that everywhere is having a real normal one at the moment.

the land of the rising r1

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

Please don't suggest this to the lnp, they'll do it in a heartbeat. It'll be phrased like "should we let rip at A) 50% vaccine coverage, B) 70% vaccine coverage or C) 100% vaccine coverage"

Going to be a huge wave of antivax regret in about 6 months. It's one thing being anti Vax and riding on the herd immunity coattails of wider society in largely controlled diseases that as a society we are pretty insulated from like polio. This is a very different proposition and I think things are going to get very, very real very quickly.

Won't stop em though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Eediot Jedi posted:

Lol they're up to 12 17

Tomberforce posted:

Going to be a huge wave of antivax regret in about 6 months. It's one thing being anti Vax and riding on the herd immunity coattails of wider society in largely controlled diseases that as a society we are pretty insulated from like polio. This is a very different proposition and I think things are going to get very, very real very quickly.

Won't stop em though.

I can't muster any sympathy for adult antivaxxers but I will feel very bad for their kids and people who can't get jabbed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tomberforce posted:

Won't stop em though.

You clearly haven't read the exasperated stories of people with antivax relatives/friends/neighbours who literally lose spouses/children/siblings and continue on undeterred.

The only time I hear the opposite is from healthcare workers being begged by dying people to give them the vaccine by antivaxxers on their deathbed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

norp posted:

You clearly haven't read the exasperated stories of people with antivax relatives/friends/neighbours who literally lose spouses/children/siblings and continue on undeterred.

The only time I hear the opposite is from healthcare workers being begged by dying people to give them the vaccine by antivaxxers on their deathbed.

If you think about it, death is the ultimate vaccine

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tomberforce posted:

Won't stop em though.

Just look at the USA right now where it's very much ripping into Texas / Florida and the constant flow of stories of antivaxxers last words being of regret.

gently caress em. They have done enough damage to society that I wont shed a tear for them. loving pathetic their immense stupidity is allowed to hurt kids and those that cant be vaccinated.

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh I have no doubt the feds are all for let er rip now.

However longer term the problem really is at what point do you actually let up on restrictions? The fact is Covid is not going to go away and it *will* spread in the community. Vaccinated people arent going to accept forever harsh restrictions (and nor should they). A good govt would be working through the answer and be telegraphing each step and also enforcing vaccinations for things like healthcare and the border. Families want to be reunited. Whats the plan going forward and at what point do we have enough vaccinated? 90% level vaccinations is unlikely to be possible, 80%? How are outbreaks handled without pulling most restrictions back on the vaccinated?

About the only good thing about this NSW shitfest is it got everyone's rear end into gear for vaccinations and got the communication on vaccines back to where it should have been.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Please help, how do I link a tiktok, I swear it's possible here but I've forgot how

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

norp posted:

I've heard ones where they ask for the cure because they assume the whole thing was manufactured so obviously the hospitals have the cure for the special "in on it" people that catch it.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Solemn Sloth posted:

If you think about it, death is the ultimate vaccine

Nah, corpses still spread disease.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

Please help, how do I link a tiktok, I swear it's possible here but I've forgot how

Put video tags around it.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/????7????4?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

So I guess it's time now to keep the kids (2 and 4) at home despite also work-from-home. I'm still unclear as to the long-term plan here though - if they are just going to open up at 80% adults, that still means that zero kids are vaccinated. Will there ever be a vaccine approved for under 12? The lockdown is clearly not working to reduce growth of the spread in Sydney. If they're just going to get it and run the gauntlet eventually, what does it matter if its sooner or later?

And why the gently caress do I now have to go crawling to my daycare owner to beg them to waive the gap fee instead of it being mandatory to not charge us for obeying the recommended guidelines?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Something else that has struck me:

Australia is very lucky in many ways that we are not the US. One of these is that we don't have the same amount or indeed proportion of anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and general anti-science sentiment as the US does. Either in our elected officials, or running through the general public. Sure, it is there, but not to the same extent, or indeed virility. And at least in my social circle, it is treated as the nutjob insanity that it is.

Saying that. Gladys is pushing vaccination, vaccination, vaccination, "we can go back to normal once all of you plebs get yourself vaccinated" etc. As if the problem was that people are willingly not getting vaccinated. That people are actively choosing to avoid getting vaccinated. When the problem is that the vast majority of people in Australia are willing and eager to get vaccinated, but can't due to the monumental fuckup of the rollout.

So she is telling people who have spent hours on the phone waiting on hold at the vaccination hotline only to be hung up on, or have been turned away at a site because they are not yet eligible etc., she is telling these people that it is your fault that we are in lockdown because you haven't been vaccinated yet. Why are you doing the wrong thing? I'd better send mounted police to roam the streets of your suburb. But Bunnings is still open. This'll stop the pandemic.

I mean, getting vaccinated is a good thing, no question. But for those of us who have been vaxxed, (2 Pfizer jabs in me, YAY!), and those trying to get jabbed, the process was a painful administrative hassle. And that is the problem she, (and the Feds), should be dealing with instead of blaming people trying to do the right thing and constantly pointing at the tiny minority who aren't.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BrigadierSensible posted:

Something else that has struck me:

Australia is very lucky in many ways that we are not the US. One of these is that we don't have the same amount or indeed proportion of anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, and general anti-science sentiment as the US does. Either in our elected officials, or running through the general public. Sure, it is there, but not to the same extent, or indeed virility. And at least in my social circle, it is treated as the nutjob insanity that it is.

Saying that. Gladys is pushing vaccination, vaccination, vaccination, "we can go back to normal once all of you plebs get yourself vaccinated" etc. As if the problem was that people are willingly not getting vaccinated. That people are actively choosing to avoid getting vaccinated. When the problem is that the vast majority of people in Australia are willing and eager to get vaccinated, but can't due to the monumental fuckup of the rollout.

So she is telling people who have spent hours on the phone waiting on hold at the vaccination hotline only to be hung up on, or have been turned away at a site because they are not yet eligible etc., she is telling these people that it is your fault that we are in lockdown because you haven't been vaccinated yet. Why are you doing the wrong thing? I'd better send mounted police to roam the streets of your suburb. But Bunnings is still open. This'll stop the pandemic.

I mean, getting vaccinated is a good thing, no question. But for those of us who have been vaxxed, (2 Pfizer jabs in me, YAY!), and those trying to get jabbed, the process was a painful administrative hassle. And that is the problem she, (and the Feds), should be dealing with instead of blaming people trying to do the right thing and constantly pointing at the tiny minority who aren't.

It just gives her an easy out to avoid taking any responsibility herself for the fuckup. "oh no, I did nothing wrong, it's just you filthy plebs who have hosed it all up for me" whether it's a cynical ploy or just a result of priviledge that she believes that is a question left to the reader.

Got to blame someone, might as well blame those who are least able to defend themselves through the media (the young, the time poor and the disenfranchised).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh, and the dead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Chadzok posted:

So I guess it's time now to keep the kids (2 and 4) at home despite also work-from-home. I'm still unclear as to the long-term plan here though - if they are just going to open up at 80% adults, that still means that zero kids are vaccinated. Will there ever be a vaccine approved for under 12? The lockdown is clearly not working to reduce growth of the spread in Sydney. If they're just going to get it and run the gauntlet eventually, what does it matter if its sooner or later?

And why the gently caress do I now have to go crawling to my daycare owner to beg them to waive the gap fee instead of it being mandatory to not charge us for obeying the recommended guidelines?

There is no currently approved vaccine for that age group, but they are assessing them right now. There is zero chance there won't be a kids vaccine, it's working out which gives the biggest benefit with littlest risk, and assessing kids is a lot harder than adults. Kids were back of the queue because OG covid hardly touched them.

The lockdown has slowed the spread. They've hosed up, a lot and very badly, rightly deserve to be loving shot into the sun for it, but the situation would be catastrophic by now if they'd truly done nothing. At the moment delta is trumping lockdowns, but lockdowns are still buying time for people to vaccinate, so if they have to run that gauntlet, they've got a much better survival chance. The hospitalization and death rates are significantly reduced even after one dose + some time. Any time bought here by lockdowns is incredibly valuable.

Sorry about the childcare situation. I imagine there will be some kind of gov intervention and support coming.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My partner (38) tried to get the AZ shot at the weekend but was told by the clinic to wait for pfizer as she is breastfeeding. At this stage she should be eligible for pfizer in a couple of weeks anyway so in theory with the 3 weeks between doses compared with 8 - 12 for AZ at this stage waiting is a quicker route to full vaccination.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
A close friend is a front line health worker. She has been 'eligible' for the Pfizer vaccine for seven months. She can not get the AZ due to three contraindications. She is completely unvacinated because there is quite literally no, none, nil, nada vaccines other that AZ anywhere in rural NSW. This is a gently caress up of stupendous proportions and to have Gladys actually vicitm blame the dead for their vacinated status every morning is completely stomach churning. There is no way she should get a vote from anyone after this disgusting public performance. I would refuse service if she came into a shop.

And while we play anal polyps ahoy! Nobody has given toxic johny the pilloring he deserves after this statement on the Afghani catastrophy that he helped orchestrate:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-18/john-howard-afghanistan-war-not-a-failure-730-interview/100388644

quote:

Afghanistan not entirely a failure, says John Howard, who first committed Australian troops 7.30 / By Leigh Sales and James Elton

Posted Wed 18 Aug 2021 at 7:01pm

Former prime minister John Howard says the war in Afghanistan stopped further 9/11-style attacks on the West.(AAP: David Moir)

The prime minister who first sent Australian forces to what would become their longest war told 7.30 the "mission" was not a failure, because it stopped further 9/11-style attacks on the West being launched from Afghanistan.*

Key points:
The Taliban have taken control of Kabul 20 years after they were ousted
Former PM John Howard said the "mission" of the war in Afghanistan was not a failure because it prevented 9/11-style terror attacks
Mr Howard also said no Australian has ever died in vain in war**
John Howard said he could "understand the argument" that the war had been a failure because Al Qaeda operatives were still active in the country.

But Mr Howard — who was among the first world leaders to pledge military support for the US-led campaign in 2001 — said he did not "totally" agree. "There are undoubtedly elements of Al Qaeda still in Afghanistan. And the Taliban … which, on occasions, is completely indistinguishable from Al Qaeda, is a very potent force," Mr Howard said. "But the truth is that the great fear of the United States and Australia and the West after September 11 — that there would be other attacks orchestrated out of Afghanistan — that has not materialised. So on that criterion, the mission, whatever may be said of it, has not been a failure."

Asked by 7.30 host Leigh Sales if the broader "war on terror" was a failure given the relative strength of radical and violent Islamist ideologies around the world today, Mr Howard said that was "changing the yardstick" by which the war was measured. "Of course, there have been other attacks. But that doesn't mean that the immediate objective of the operation in Afghanistan has been a failure," he said.

Mr Howard said his message to the families of veterans who had been killed in service, or suffered after returning home, was that their country was "proud" of them. He said no Australian ever died in vain in war, because Australia always fought for "noble" objectives.***

'Not all of them wanted to come'
Australia is mounting an eleventh-hour effort to evacuate more Afghan citizens who worked with Australian troops during the war, largely as interpreters. Hundreds have already been brought to Australia, but many more remain in Afghanistan and fear brutal Taliban reprisals. Asked if the seemingly "low priority" on these evacuations would hurt Australia's capacity to source local help in future conflicts, Mr Howard said it was wrong to imply the government had not been trying. The Australian government is aiming to extract around 600 people from Kabul. (Defence: Sergeant Glen McCarthy) "Not all of them, five years ago, would have wanted to come [to Australia], because they may have thought that their best interests were served in staying," he told 7.30.

Mr Howard, who was prime minister over the first six years of Australia's involvement, said he thought the US withdrawal was "too hasty". "I think it could have been possible to have had a more orderly withdrawal," he said. "But we had to deal, obviously, with the situation that we faced. And I think it is quite unfair on the government to suggest we haven't even bothered to help any of the people who've helped us."

* There is no evidence 9/11 was 'planned from Afghanistan' and the subsequent attacks on London, Paris, Bali (et al) were all organised by the same people so why am I still outraged by JWH's lies?

** Let's completely poo poo on the whole ANZAC legacy you utter cum queef stain. How are you still alive?

*** The noble prosthetic limb.

Also the frontline health services available in remote indigenous communities can not currently access vacinnes other than AZ...

Tafari Walton was shot by police who were seeking to question him over the stabbing murder of his former partner, 27-year-old Gabriella Thompson. The 22-year-old had been released on parole and bail seven weeks earlier. The inquest, which began in January 2021, heard that Walton had repeatedly yelled at police to shoot him and had lunged towards an officer with a 10cm to 15cm knife in his hand.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, force used, mental health / cognitive impairment.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

There's no doubt the Delta strain is more infectious but I also feel like a huge factor this time around is the absence of Jobkeeper.

https://twitter.com/FoodbankVic/status/1428622558010687489

edit - the Foodbank is in the north-eastern part of Yarraville. You have to go clear across the entire suburb to get to the West Gate.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

lol he was in his 20-30s while Vietnam kicked off. No Australian died there in vain that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

There's no doubt the Delta strain is more infectious but I also feel like a huge factor this time around is the absence of Jobkeeper.

https://twitter.com/FoodbankVic/status/1428622558010687489

edit - the Foodbank is in the north-eastern part of Yarraville. You have to go clear across the entire suburb to get to the West Gate.

There are jobkeeper-like payments, but they are confusing and split between fed funded/state funded and administered by either. Jobkeeper was an absolute loving abject failure in terms of not being a direct funnel of public cash to private entities who only needed to say they would need it with creative accounting, then have no obligation to pay it back even partially, or over generous time periods, when they didn't need it at all.

How Frydenberg isn't laughed out of the room any time he speaks is beyond me.

There should be a simplified replacement without the rorting, but alas, who could have predicted what happened here last year and what happened all over the world would happen in Australia of all places???