Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Way ahead of you there.

Jesus I am terribad at piloting in this game, I think I've blasted my own navarins with the missiles they just launched twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Way ahead of you there.

Jesus I am terribad at piloting in this game, I think I've blasted my own navarins with the missiles they just launched twice.

i might get flak for saying this but there's really only 3 weapons worth using in actual fights.

these are the good guns:
37mm chainguns are excellent for shooting down incoming enemy missiles and shredding unarmoured targets. If you have several of them they can also shoot down incoming artillery, and with incendiary ammo even a quick burst can instantly ruin small ships. They're cheap in both cost and ammo/power requirements and you can mount loads of them. These are the best defensive tool and a decent offensive one.
130mm guns are great for small Lightning style fighters. They hit hard without having bad ammo or power requirements, and they rotate fast enough to keep up with a nimble ship's movements.
Double 180mm guns hit extremely hard and are excellent for tearing apart large targets. With proxy shells or careful aim they'll ruin small targets as well, and their AP shells can instakill enemy cruisers if they hit the right spot. They rotate pretty slowly and have fairly steep ammo and power requirements so you can't put them on speedy ships, but these are the ideal primary armament for a Brick.

everything else:
57mm guns are the cheapest for a reason: they shoot too slowly to act as point defence but aren't big enough to actually hurt anything.
100mm guns aren't terrible but have the same ammo requirements as 130mm guns and aren't as good, so you might as well just use 130mms.
Single 180mm guns take up the same space as Doubles and almost as much power, so you might as well use Doubles.
Hextuple 180mm guns are extremely impressive but impractical. They're ridiculously expensive and need to be mounted on Large Hull segments, which are far heavier than just mounting the equivalent amount of regular hull parts for some reason. For less space, weight, and price you can easily mount 3 Doubles and the requisite amount of ammo and power modules.
Rocket launchers aren't very good, they're expensive and their rockets can easily be shot down or avoided by enemies. And unlike artillery, the AI actually does try to shoot these down.

Zenith missiles are terrible on large ships, since they require gaps in the armour to fire out of, are expensive and single use, can easily be shot off and aren't that much more impressive than a salvo from a 180mm gun. Large ships also struggle to actually reach a good firing position for them. Zenith missiles could be of some use on small ships, but your smaller ships really shouldn't be fighting anything that would require them too often, and the money you spend on them would be better spent on AP ammo(which can't get shot off in combat and rendered useless, and which can be devastatingly powerful). Nadir missiles I haven't played around with too much because you can't use them in the shipworks editor.

Sprint AA missiles are kind of useless in combat. They, again, require gaps in the armour of large ships, which is never good, and small ships can just avoid missiles anyway. You're far better served by just mounting chainguns for missile and plane defence. They are very good for defending against cruise missiles and long range aircraft attacks, though, since your small ships are grounded and can't just avoid them. Having a few of these on a backline ship for missile defence purposes is probably good, but you shouldn't use them in an actual fight.

Bombs have to be on small ships, since big ones aren't nearly agile enough to use them. Bombs also have to be mounted on the outside to be used, and explode like ammo magazines if they get hit. This is bad. Taking a hit to the bomb bay is immediate death, and I don't find them nearly impressive enough to be worth the risk.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Apart from the R-9 Sprint + FCR requirements discussed earlier, is there a benefit to mounting multiple detectors of any type?
The Sevastapol is festooned with seemingly redundant spinny bits that look really cool, but money is tight and guzzoline CH4 is life.

e: To answer my own question: Sensors with obstructed "cones of fire" are interpreted by the game as sensors with reduced range. You can add more sensors to reach the advertised range.

Roumba fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 21, 2021

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
can someone post a link to the sharedrive with all the awesome designs, I can not seem to locate it and it's not present in the OP

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

can someone post a link to the sharedrive with all the awesome designs, I can not seem to locate it and it's not present in the OP

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15aJC186FB5JM08b-mJH7rPZ9XugdU_cJMh84P9Y4g0E/edit#gid=0

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

cock hero flux posted:

57mm guns are the cheapest for a reason: they shoot too slowly to act as point defence but aren't big enough to actually hurt anything.

Rocket launchers aren't very good, they're expensive and their rockets can easily be shot down or avoided by enemies. And unlike artillery, the AI actually does try to shoot these down.

Zenith missiles are terrible on large ships, since they require gaps in the armour to fire out of, are expensive and single use, can easily be shot off and aren't that much more impressive than a salvo from a 180mm gun. Large ships also struggle to actually reach a good firing position for them. Zenith missiles could be of some use on small ships, but your smaller ships really shouldn't be fighting anything that would require them too often, and the money you spend on them would be better spent on AP ammo(which can't get shot off in combat and rendered useless, and which can be devastatingly powerful). Nadir missiles I haven't played around with too much because you can't use them in the shipworks editor.

Sprint AA missiles are kind of useless in combat. They, again, require gaps in the armour of large ships, which is never good, and small ships can just avoid missiles anyway. You're far better served by just mounting chainguns for missile and plane defence. They are very good for defending against cruise missiles and long range aircraft attacks, though, since your small ships are grounded and can't just avoid them. Having a few of these on a backline ship for missile defence purposes is probably good, but you shouldn't use them in an actual fight.

Bombs have to be on small ships, since big ones aren't nearly agile enough to use them. Bombs also have to be mounted on the outside to be used, and explode like ammo magazines if they get hit. This is bad. Taking a hit to the bomb bay is immediate death, and I don't find them nearly impressive enough to be worth the risk.

Unlike the 37mms, the 57mms are actually pretty impressive in large numbers. A single one won't do jack, but line up a few of them and they can actually do a lot of damage. If you get an opportunity to focus fire on one area, they can chew through a large ship's armor and mangle the insides in a single clip.

You can't put armor on top of missiles, but you can put it under missiles, so they're not as much of a liability as they look. They still need a gap somewhere to be able to connect to the rest of the ship, since crew and power connections can't pass through armor or large fuel tanks, but it only has to be a one-tile-wide gap. Still doesn't stop the missiles themselves from getting shot off, but it means they aren't a gaping hole in your defenses. Take a look at the Nomad in the ship builder for an example of what I mean - a lot of its parts are mounted outside the armor, with tiny gaps here and there to allow them to be controlled.

I'm not gonna defend rocket launchers or bombs, though, as far as I can tell they're just plain terrible.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Friction posted:

Took me way too long to figure out that this is possible in the shipyard. Hello space savings.

:eyepop:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Vizuyos posted:

Unlike the 37mms, the 57mms are actually pretty impressive in large numbers. A single one won't do jack, but line up a few of them and they can actually do a lot of damage. If you get an opportunity to focus fire on one area, they can chew through a large ship's armor and mangle the insides in a single clip.

You can't put armor on top of missiles, but you can put it under missiles, so they're not as much of a liability as they look. They still need a gap somewhere to be able to connect to the rest of the ship, since crew and power connections can't pass through armor or large fuel tanks, but it only has to be a one-tile-wide gap. Still doesn't stop the missiles themselves from getting shot off, but it means they aren't a gaping hole in your defenses. Take a look at the Nomad in the ship builder for an example of what I mean - a lot of its parts are mounted outside the armor, with tiny gaps here and there to allow them to be controlled.

I'm not gonna defend rocket launchers or bombs, though, as far as I can tell they're just plain terrible.

The thing is that 37mms ARE impressive in large numbers. They have a hard time with armour, but anything else they will tear apart. And, more importantly, they are the most effective defensive tool in the game by far.

And yeah, while you can put armour under missiles, the missiles themselves will get shot off and need replacing. That costs money. Having missiles on a large ship will cost you in the long run, and there aren't really any situations where a large ship would rather have missiles than just some AP ammo.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

The thing is that 37mms ARE impressive in large numbers. They have a hard time with armour, but anything else they will tear apart. And, more importantly, they are the most effective defensive tool in the game by far.

To test this, I just created the Gunball, a brick with 20 of the 37mm and no other guns. Pretty easily able to beat the level 10 test fleet even though I suck at this game, the fact that nobody can shoot you through your wall of bullets makes all other issues moot.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I was thinking, since you can use 'G' to manually toggle landing gear, has anyone successfully used that to make a jury-rigged missile silo hatch/bombbay doors?

I'm going to sleep in a minute, I'll try it out tomorrow, but I figured I would ask anyway. I wish you could toggle the gear IN the shipbuilder so I could see how they close up.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Does search not work anymore?

Looking for the updated advanced building guide, with z level and space saving tips, thought it was on the steam guides

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Well the aftermath of taking Khiva is certainly overwhelming. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here. Send out dozens of sacrificial ships to eat enemy nukes?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

Well the aftermath of taking Khiva is certainly overwhelming. Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here. Send out dozens of sacrificial ships to eat enemy nukes?

fan out semi-effective task forces to every launch site while keeping a main battle group in reserve. When one of them encounters a strike group, send the battle group over and kill it. When one of them starts getting nailed by a missile cruiser, send the two nearest task forces over to kill it. Missile cruisers aren't that tough, the main issue is that they'll nuke you 5 times before you get into combat with them. Even a modest group of combat capable ships can take one down.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
Don’t be shy about using nukes of your own at that stage, either. You should have quite a few stocked up by now. As soon as you get a fix on an enemy SG or carrier group start sending missiles down the bearing – warcrimes be damned.

Also, if you can manage to park some A-100Ns in Khiva you can use them to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles if you detect them in time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oh yeah, go absolutely apeshit with nuclear weapons. If you have even a vague idea of where an enemy group is then make it rain.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I might have sold all my nukes for cash.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

Agnostalgia posted:

:whitewater:

---

Thing is, it takes time to load those missiles into their silos and position them to where you need them. Scrambling around trying to find nukes at the last second is a bad plan when you could just bring some to begin with.

vvv

Top Gun Reference fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 22, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

that's fine, it's pretty standard practice to sell your nuclear weapons to the local villagers whenever you need quick cash. Fortunately, now that you have ascended beyond the need for currency you can just shake down every village your missile carriers pass through to see if they have any nukes lying around.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Also, every city you take will give you free fuel and 3-4 free ships. Ammo becomes weird, though.

Those nukes should still be in the city where you left them, and subject to the... usual discount for the endgame. If you strip everything but the engines and a dozen fuel tanks off a Navarin or Lightning, you can make a 1200kph courier to go fetch them - put your missile carriers at a shipyard city to speed up reloads.

If you clear out a city before you take Khiva, you get the free ship reinforcements there next time you visit. On the run where i won, it was honestly more difficult to get tankers in position to move my newfound swarms of Feneks around than it was to take out the enemy nuke groups

How much use did everyone else get out of mid-campaign ship reconfiguration at shipyard cities? I do feel it's only really worth doing if you have a +400-500% city, but i was still going pretty hard turning Tarkhan ships i didn't like into tankers and scouts cough to replace losses cough. Since the sell price is exactly equal to the price of all modules on the ship, i even turned a tidy profit by selling off the bits i removed.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

BrotherJayne posted:

Does search not work anymore?

Looking for the updated advanced building guide, with z level and space saving tips, thought it was on the steam guides

This one? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2567187029

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

you're my hero

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
am I the only one that oddly enough likes the rocket launcher? other than its cool, it hits like a truck and will demolish most things. I butchered a lightning and reconfigured it to have two rocket launchers and it's chewed through a cruiser before. I'm also never one to really min-max on games and make choices purely on what I think is fun so maybe that's just me.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Ceebees posted:

Also, every city you take will give you free fuel and 3-4 free ships. Ammo becomes weird, though.

Yeah, I had taken every town around Khiva before going in so once I realized how many free ships I had at my disposal to throw into harm's way it was pretty trivial, it just seemed overwhelming initially. Are there any hidden flagships to unlock other than the Varyag that the governor had? I lucked into that one by playing max Faith.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

cock hero flux posted:

i might get flak for saying this but there's really only 3 weapons worth using in actual fights.

these are the good guns:
37mm chainguns are excellent for shooting down incoming enemy missiles and shredding unarmoured targets. If you have several of them they can also shoot down incoming artillery, and with incendiary ammo even a quick burst can instantly ruin small ships. They're cheap in both cost and ammo/power requirements and you can mount loads of them. These are the best defensive tool and a decent offensive one.
130mm guns are great for small Lightning style fighters. They hit hard without having bad ammo or power requirements, and they rotate fast enough to keep up with a nimble ship's movements.
Double 180mm guns hit extremely hard and are excellent for tearing apart large targets. With proxy shells or careful aim they'll ruin small targets as well, and their AP shells can instakill enemy cruisers if they hit the right spot. They rotate pretty slowly and have fairly steep ammo and power requirements so you can't put them on speedy ships, but these are the ideal primary armament for a Brick.

everything else:
100mm guns aren't terrible but have the same ammo requirements as 130mm guns and aren't as good, so you might as well just use 130mms.
Single 180mm guns take up the same space as Doubles and almost as much power, so you might as well use Doubles.
Hextuple 180mm guns are extremely impressive but impractical. They're ridiculously expensive and need to be mounted on Large Hull segments, which are far heavier than just mounting the equivalent amount of regular hull parts for some reason. For less space, weight, and price you can easily mount 3 Doubles and the requisite amount of ammo and power modules.

You can armor missiles, by using elevation, any full brick 2x2 can be elevated by having structure cover the 4 cardinal directions. a set of a 2x2 brick with 4 2x1 segments on the sides will pop up, then you can place armor on the outside and the missiles will fire over the armor, this goes for guns, engines, anything that can be blocked really.

57mm is actually pretty good but you want a lot of it. it is also cheap. Yes 20 37mm's will shred anything overtime but.... thats 60k a 20 57mm will kill much faster and still output enough fire to knock back anything incoming.

behold

Now this is a bit of extra stuff hanging around but. better damage, more speed, more range, cheaper

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

just a psa for anyone who has flight sim gear, this game is next-level with a yoke

it feels like how it was meant to be played; like the Highfleet arcade cabinet definitely would give you a big ol ship's wheel

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Will an AA ship in your flagship's fleet fire sprints even if you're not controlling it?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yes.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
One more tip for Once You Reach Khiva: turn your radar back on! Hiding from the enemy is no longer a priority, after all they pretty much know where you are by that point.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
I took the opportunity to listen to some feedback, learn some new techniques, and then try again. Thank to everyone who engaged, and I've definitely got some observations.

Dalaram posted:

Man, gently caress this game.

Naw, this is a fun game, but there's a lot that lies hidden underneath layers of grogginess.

Dalaram posted:

Key gripes -

-fuel costs are lovely. They should be half or less.
Still agree on this, fuel is manageable, but in a groggy way; and it is not straight forwards how to accurately use fuel well, by looking at ships fuel/weight. Or how to effectively use tankers.

Dalaram posted:

- stupid saving system. You only get a save when you FIRST take a command city, but not any time you come back? Just give a persistent “last town” or manual save, you loving grogs. Or at least auto save every time you land at a save city, with indexable reloads
Now that I learned save scumming, I still stand behind this. The game does have hidden autosaves when you complete a fight; there isn't a reason we couldn't have a battletech-styled manual/autosave/save spot save.

Dalaram posted:

- Not being able to reload anti ship missiles and bombs except at rare merchants means either buying all in stock, and “repairing” or having dedicated bombers that can only reload at rare merchants; which is a waste. Just add them to the supplies side screen and be done; their cost already makes them strategic.
Still true. Even more so since I discovered the supplies for ammo; just add anything up to (and maybe even including) cruise missiles here, and have ships just place silos, that you can populate with whatever missiles you have.

Dalaram posted:

- repairs. There doesn’t seem to be a way to selectively repair some parts first; it’s all at the discretion of the slider, which always prioritizes expensive missiles and bombs first. Let me select parts to repair first

Turns out I was mostly wrong; right clicking for repairs is unintuitive, but does allow you to point repair! And there is even a method to the slider bar; it adds missing parts first, then repairs damaged goods; you can tell when it stops because it stops cha-chinging. So better; but then again, repairing is still not as good as it could be. I would like to see a priority repair order, even it its just new/fix first. Also, in keeping with the silos comment above, the kind of missile shouldn't be a "repair"

Dalaram posted:

- cruise missiles/radar. I can’t for the life of me extend my radar range to a point where I can effectively target a strike group, but they can blindly fire poo poo endlessly.
The tutorial worked wonders. ELINT is still kind of spotty, but I do appreciate now that you are generally firing at targets based on intel, not direct contact.

Dalaram posted:

- planes/missiles leaving no scrap. When time/scrap is a resource, you basically commit to expending dollars in missiles/plane armnaments, with no chance of recovering the cost.
Still mostly agree on this. There should be a crash site, with some fixed salvage. In fact, I think some updates of the salvage system could be done.

Dalaram posted:

- radio poo poo. The mini game doesn’t provide nearly enough useful info. Amber is headed NW and needs medical at 150? Cool! What is it? A supply? Strike group? And having to fart around with it each time, or auto-call for even worse data makes me just want to ignore it
I appreciate it more, but it's still kind of annoying to have so much messaging traffic that is not useful.

Dalaram posted:

- ground versus air tracks? I have never seen a ground track that had mattered
Still true. There is no good way to sound out hidden cities, and if there is a whole ground world that I'm blithely passing over, I'm not seeing it.

Dalaram posted:

-and then IR tracks? I guess it’s passive tracking, but even when there is a blip, there is never an IR signature on screen?

IR only good for missiles; but if there are missiles inbound, that info isn't useful anyway. So IR is kind of useless.

Dalaram posted:

- I know it’s been said, but the bullet holes are really annoying, and patching those out immediately feels like a necessary mod. They could be done way less obtrusively

And to add onto this, having a "disappearing" box in the lower right and left that represent ship status is necessary when you are behind the GUI

Dalaram posted:

-also, aiming. I can get hit across the map from ships I can’t see, because aiming won’t let me scroll the screen enough. They need to extend the aiming arrow way beyond 1cm in front of your ship.
Thanks to who told me about the aim settings; that makes a world of difference! But there are still scroll issues, with enemy ships targeting with impunity, when I can't even scroll enough to see them.

Dalaram posted:

- all your allies, but not a one that can bring you a gas can, or quick refuel?

Still mega true. I don't need 5 people that can pump morale, give me some gas!

Dalaram posted:

-ship builder 2 layer system is not well designed. And why can I take a stick lightning, modify it, then not be able to take those mods and apply them against another stock lightning? - Also, lack of permanent unlocks on ship designs is dumb

Still true.

Dalaram posted:

There’s a lot that’s good here; the combat feels awesome. The sound is great, and the art style is phenomenal. And despite all the dumb bullshit with the command screen tools like radios, the art and gameplay hit the right mark. But at the end of the day, it’s still a game, and if I’m not having fun, or fighting some of the annoying design decisions, it’s a pass.

I'm glad I stuck it through, and with some help from this thread; there is some real potential here, and there is some brilliance too. Some additional comments.

- There ought to be canned tutorials for planes and missiles. Hell, make them part of the actual tutorial. They are very opaque, and some of the tutorials on youtube ought to be part of the intro campaign.
- I know they are going to improve the ship builder, but man would some QOL features be useful here. Being able to drag-select and copy would be awesome. And even something to help make vehicles symmetrical.
- Campaign saving of designs needs to have an option to load designs from ship-builder, and save to it, so I don't have to rebuild my lightning configuration every time. And so I can start building my gun-ball from the start.
- If there was a silo system, then allow in-flight reloading, like you can with planes.
- Bombs on frigates are useless, and completely OBE by fighter bombs. They really need a re-work; add bomb bays, with retractable, armored doors, that can be reloaded, a la silos.
- Sudden strikes don't feel sudden enough. They are loading and firing on me the second I spawn in; there really ought to be them doing nothing, until I fire first, or a timer goes off. That also might make a dedicated rook-bomber more useful.
- Can you change ammo types in the ship tester? I can't seem to figure out how to switch from HE. Would be nice to test with different ammos!
- Salvage/Ancillary modules. I would happily invest in a dedicated "salvage" ship or modules, that would let me do things like increase cool-down timers, increase speed of salvage, start with protective suits. Or maybe even have a med bay, that improves morale at each new city discovery. Or a recruiting/conscription module that allows me to recruit/draft crew at each new city discovery
- Please stop making survivor searches dangerous; rescuing 2 guys to not take a kindness hit, and losing 39 feels lovely.
- Press gang captured ships; I don't want to sell that thing; let me keep it!

There's also a couple bugs I've found;

- They say A-100N can intercept nukes, but that does not seem to be the case.
- Winning a fight with a carrier on the field results in a soft-lock
- It's really annoying to capture a trade vehicle, then have it fight you every step. Make it docile, please.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...

Dalaram posted:

- Sudden strikes don't feel sudden enough. They are loading and firing on me the second I spawn in; there really ought to be them doing nothing, until I fire first, or a timer goes off. That also might make a dedicated rook-bomber more useful.

The real benefit of sudden strikes is when you get them on something bigger than an ordinary city garrison, such as if an enemy transport fleet or strike group happens to be parked at the city you're attacking. If you get a sudden strike, then when you destroy an enemy ship, the new one that spawns in to replace it will also start grounded, giving you a few precious seconds with only two enemies in the air. It's a big help when you get into a big fight.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

redpleb posted:

am I the only one that oddly enough likes the rocket launcher? other than its cool, it hits like a truck and will demolish most things. I butchered a lightning and reconfigured it to have two rocket launchers and it's chewed through a cruiser before. I'm also never one to really min-max on games and make choices purely on what I think is fun so maybe that's just me.

I built a brick with 8 rocket launchers and then a bunch of 37mms for point defense. Taking the level 10 fleet is trivial.

2-3 salvos (not full reloads, just 3 firings) takes out the largest ships. Smaller ships are even easier because the rockets in each salvo fan out in a nice spread making them easy to hit.

I'm pretty sure people who dislike rockets simply havent put enough on.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Geisladisk posted:

I built a brick with 8 rocket launchers and then a bunch of 37mms for point defense. Taking the level 10 fleet is trivial.

2-3 salvos (not full reloads, just 3 firings) takes out the largest ships. Smaller ships are even easier because the rockets in each salvo fan out in a nice spread making them easy to hit.

I'm pretty sure people who dislike rockets simply havent put enough on.

I do the same thing with 5 130mm. To each their own?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
I tried rockets last night, and was kinda lukewarm on them? Compared to the 180mm guns, they have better fire rate and larger clip sizes, but they're harder to hit with because the projectiles behave differently from shells and are even easier to shoot down. In the end, I felt the same way about them as I do about the various 180mm guns: they hit harder than the smaller calibers, but not by enough to make up for all the extra trouble that comes with mounting and using them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dalaram posted:

I've been able to reliably, gotten them to home in and nuke incoming missiles without any issue. 100% accurate so far.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dalaram posted:

Importantly - and they don’t tell you this explicitly - a missile doesn’t enable any tracking until a certain point that seems relative to where you slapped the end of the arrow for aiming it. I’m not sure if this is either different for conventional cruise missiles or just hard to notice, but it happened a lot with my A100’s where I well overshot the target before tracking was enabled.

When intercepting, make sure you get the heading correct but back up the end of the “target” arrow so that it’ll start tracking before the target missile arrives. You’ll notice the missile gets a little cone on it for targeting. This might seem pointless and you might ask “why have this weird targeting behavior at all?” And I can confidently say after blowing up my own ship with an A100 nuke and having to reload my save that it’s very important to be able to decide when it starts tracking. :v:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Importantly - and they don’t tell you this explicitly - a missile doesn’t enable any tracking until a certain point that seems relative to where you slapped the end of the arrow for aiming it. I’m not sure if this is either different for conventional cruise missiles or just hard to notice, but it happened a lot with my A100’s where I well overshot the target before tracking was enabled.

When intercepting, make sure you get the heading correct but back up the end of the “target” arrow so that it’ll start tracking before the target missile arrives. You’ll notice the missile gets a little cone on it for targeting. This might seem pointless and you might ask “why have this weird targeting behavior at all?” And I can confidently say after blowing up my own ship with an A100 nuke and having to reload my save that it’s very important to be able to decide when it starts tracking. :v:

This is intentional and how missiles work in real life. You can absolutely hit your own ships with a poorly timed activation.

For example you're trying to coordinate missile strikes with an SG assault, except you didn't factor in how fast your assault group is, so by the time the second missile activates your assault group is in between the SG and the missile. Oops.

You can also use regular radar missiles against jamming by just not activating the missile till it's already on top of them.

But ya, again, one of the poorly explained mechanics.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Also delay activation for the appropriate distance or turn off your own radar when launching radar-killer missiles.

These beasts hunger for juicy radarbutt and don't care who it belongs to.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
It activates 100km before the head of the targeting arrow, and have a 90 degree 75km cone.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
How far do they go afterwards? Max range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I was playing around in the shipyard and found a few silly things:

1. You can carry the same amount of fuel with less overall mass if you use small fuel tanks (works best when attached to partial 1x1 hulls). You also avoid the need to go full ziggurat to let your turrets shoot over the giant tanks. The downside is that your fuel now takes up 25% more space. Although, you can be much more flexible with where it goes, so maybe this isn't entirely useless knowledge? I haven't played around enough with it yet to come up with any creative fuel snakes.

Base half-designed ship: https://i.imgur.com/7OfraLK.png
w/ 8x8 chonky tank: https://i.imgur.com/dzadWVO.png
w/ scaffolding + mini-tanks: https://i.imgur.com/SYXtqGp.png
w/ only scaffolding: https://i.imgur.com/bSDfk6k.png
TLDR: 431t vs 402t mass per 400t fuel in this example so a ~6.75% fuel tank mass reduction.

2. If you have a part picked up and you hit ESC you can drop it in the city. lol

2a. LLLLLLLLIKE A GLOVE!!!