Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I have zero complaints about this style can:

No-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9JN4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V1NZGMTRQ8QC6657AB6S

I actually prefer them to the pre-emissions cans.

I have a 2.5 gallon version of the no-spill can and haven't had any issues filling it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Advent Horizon posted:

No-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W9JN4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_V1NZGMTRQ8QC6657AB6S

How fast does it pour? I’m putting 12 gallons in the mower at a time.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If you want a 5 gallon metal can, get one from Lowes. They're cheaper at $50 and, unless they changed things, the metal screen is easily removed.

As far as plastic cans, I've enjoyed these from Scepter:

You hook the black protrusion against the lip of whatever you're pouring into and then just push the whole jug against the filler and it releases your fuel. I prefer them to old cans because you can balance the weight of the can on the nozzle so you aren't supporting it yourself, gas doesn't start until you want it to, and you can throttle the fill rate if its something small like a chainsaw.

In other news, I went to Lowe's the other day to get a jug of acetone and made the mistake of wandering past the clearance rack. Found a digital torque wrench marked down to the price of a regular torque wrench from the original price of $199. I already kind of wanted something capable of doing axle nuts since I ran into that problem last year and this sealed the deal. Also found a face shield to replace my one that broke right before a pandemic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cat Hatter posted:

In other news, I went to Lowe's the other day to get a jug of acetone and made the mistake of wandering past the clearance rack. Found a digital torque wrench marked down to the price of a regular torque wrench from the original price of $199. I already kind of wanted something capable of doing axle nuts since I ran into that problem last year and this sealed the deal.

I'm jealous of that deal. drat.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

That's the one I use. Had it for 5 years+, still works great, no spills or fiddling. Just hold the button down.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

eddiewalker posted:

Slightly slower than pre-regulation cans, but not bad. It's best if there's a way to rest the can on whatever you're filling.

I'm a big fan of the Nospill cans. Justrite safety cans with the built-in steel nozzle are also excellent (and rebuildable).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been using the nospill cans since 2013. They are great and sold at TSC if you want to get one locally. Get the extension hose for the nozzle if you'll be filling cars with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

In your shoes I'd want "Utility Jugs" for the first 10 gallons, and the No Spill for the last bit. It still flows well enough but you do need to exert a decent bit of pressure on the button. It is much better than anything else at topping off the small tank you'd find on a typical 5hp engine.

I have two No Spill 5 gallons, one gasoline and one diesel. Also have a Rotopax 2.5 gallon which mounts nicely on the Jeep and is fine if you just want to dump gas straight out of it, especially because the "water" nozzles still fit it. It's a bit of a hassle to use to top anything off though and it's not something you can leave sitting in a corner on its own, it really wants to be on a mount.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need a tool bag for occasional use (~10 times a year) and I want one that zips shut. Is my best bet something like a Husky 18" bag from Home Depot?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in-Large-Mouth-Tool-Bag-with-Tool-Wall-67127-02/306052553

I also have an Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight nearby, but Ace seems to be either Craftsman (not interested) or Milwaukee Packout (interested for home tool storage but it's fairly pricey and I don't see a lot of benefits from a tool bag that clips in to the rest of their boxes). HF is HF so I'm guessing they either have the tool bag to end all tool bags for $30, or it's complete poo poo.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I acquired this welder that I'm unable to use (no three phase power and I don't really want to gently caress around with buying gas tanks only to find that this thing may not actually work). A friend who has a lot of experience with welding could only really tell me that it's overkill for anything I would ever use it for, and anything even he could use it for and he doesn't have any way of helping me test it. As much as I want a welder in my garage, it takes up a ton of space for something I can't use, so I'm going to put it up for sale on facebook and see what I can get for it. Any advice on how best to market this thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hope you didn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks for it, because at best that's all its worth.

A TIG/stick dialarc with all the bells and whistles (cables, tig torch, pedal, etc) that runs on 240 (so usable for most people) which is about a decade newer than that routinely go for $600-800. An old three phase machine it's just about useless......anybody with 3 phase is likely to be a commercial shop and is just going to buy a new welder. Most people don't want something that size at any price (I've got an old dialarc and I love it, but it really does take up a lot of floor space).

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

MomJeans420 posted:

I need a tool bag for occasional use (~10 times a year) and I want one that zips shut. Is my best bet something like a Husky 18" bag from Home Depot?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-18-in-Large-Mouth-Tool-Bag-with-Tool-Wall-67127-02/306052553

I have several Husky tool bags for individual power tools. They’re fine. I don’t know about that one in particular but my only wish is that they would use beefier zippers.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MomJeans420 posted:

I also have an Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight nearby, but Ace seems to be either Craftsman (not interested) or Milwaukee Packout (interested for home tool storage but it's fairly pricey and I don't see a lot of benefits from a tool bag that clips in to the rest of their boxes). HF is HF so I'm guessing they either have the tool bag to end all tool bags for $30, or it's complete poo poo.

I got one of these last year and I'm super happy with it. Great number of pockets on both sides, center is just big open storage. I can carry 80% of what I need for a big job right there. Well built, heavy zippers, I can't fault it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDTSZG

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I literally just sold an ancient Millermatic 200 for $550. I was in the same situation where I got two welders from an estate sale and couldn't run the Millermatic.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 20, 2021

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Motronic posted:

Hope you didn't pay more than a couple hundred bucks for it, because at best that's all its worth.

A TIG/stick dialarc with all the bells and whistles (cables, tig torch, pedal, etc) that runs on 240 (so usable for most people) which is about a decade newer than that routinely go for $600-800. An old three phase machine it's just about useless......anybody with 3 phase is likely to be a commercial shop and is just going to buy a new welder. Most people don't want something that size at any price (I've got an old dialarc and I love it, but it really does take up a lot of floor space).

I got it for free so getting a couple hundred bucks for it would be pretty cool.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I got one of these last year and I'm super happy with it. Great number of pockets on both sides, center is just big open storage. I can carry 80% of what I need for a big job right there. Well built, heavy zippers, I can't fault it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDTSZG

Advent Horizon posted:

I have several Husky tool bags for individual power tools. They’re fine. I don’t know about that one in particular but my only wish is that they would use beefier zippers.

Thanks, as someone who was just pissed off at my suitcase zipper for sucking I'll get the beefier zippers for $20 more

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just sold my 200 amp TIG welder boat anchor for 100 bucks and I gave away my 300 amp one, mostly because it was in my way. Both were single phase machines. I'd list that for $300 and take any offer that's well over scrap price.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

two_beer_bishes posted:

I got it for free so getting a couple hundred bucks for it would be pretty cool.

It is easily worth a few hundred bucks. If you have no idea what it's worth (as I don't) take good photos, go get a pallet and put it up for sale on eBay on a 10 day auction. At the same time figure out shipping for it. It will be gone at market price and youll get some monays.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Hypnolobster posted:

Slightly slower than pre-regulation cans, but not bad. It's best if there's a way to rest the can on whatever you're filling.

I'm a big fan of the Nospill cans. Justrite safety cans with the built-in steel nozzle are also excellent (and rebuildable).

I bought a couple of the 5 gal justrite II cans with the 1" nozzle. They were pricey but I do not regret the purchase. Haven't spilled a drop filling the mower and it empties in like a minute.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone here have a Launch Millenium OBD scanner? Looking for a cheap scanner that I can use on the go, just not sure if there’s a default go-to option. Princess auto is clearing out some of the millenium line for cheap, so unless there’s a good reason to avoid them, that’s what I’ll end up with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not sure if you read it or not, but the review on the princess auto sucks, says it requires and update but they don't appear to have a website.

Might want to see if you can find that first before buying one.

e: Not surprising a Princess Auto shopper didn't put more than 2 seconds into a search. Here is the mfg webpage.

https://www.launchtechusa.com/product-page/millennium-90

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 21, 2021

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Was Ken bitching about grease guns here recently? I think he was somewhere, and I was going to pipe up that my Harbor Freight pneumatic gun has never been anything but perfect in the past 15 years... well, I went to use it today and it totally took a poo poo. Still going PFFFT PFFT, but no longer making the grease come out. I've taken it apart a couple times, I don't know if it's not maintaining a prime or what, but I've got 1/3 of a tube of grease left in it and it's not coming out.

So... Milwaukee M12? I use it once every never, I only have grease fittings on the Escalade (but it's got a dozen of them just on the front end), so I don't know if it's even worth spending $120 on something with that infrequent of a use. Maybe Ryobi has something...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

dyne posted:

I bought a couple of the 5 gal justrite II cans with the 1" nozzle. They were pricey but I do not regret the purchase. Haven't spilled a drop filling the mower and it empties in like a minute.

Justrite is premium stuff. It is what companies buy for industrial use after they realize the consumer-based stuff isn't working out for them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

So... Milwaukee M12? I use it once every never, I only have grease fittings on the Escalade (but it's got a dozen of them just on the front end), so I don't know if it's even worth spending $120 on something with that infrequent of a use. Maybe Ryobi has something...
If you're already on the red ecosystem and *want* a powered gun, the M12 grease gun is great. It's a bit of a bugger to bleed/purge especially for the first use, but once that's done they're fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What I learned about grease guns recently, the cheap ones you can pull back the plunger and it goes forward with a spring. The slightly nicer ones you can hook the plunger with the rod and force it forward. My last gun broke because the end swelled up and wouldn't slide down the tube any more, which would have been solvable by being able to force it down.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
About gas cans: I usually just buy cheap cans, then never use the spout, or buy caps with no spout, then use one of these battery powered fuel transfer pumps for small equipment

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWBS42W/

And a jiggle siphon for the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDKVZ32/

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

About gas cans: I usually just buy cheap cans, then never use the spout, or buy caps with no spout, then use one of these battery powered fuel transfer pumps for small equipment

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BWBS42W/

And a jiggle siphon for the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDKVZ32/

I used to use a jiggle siphon for the boat when my dad had a gas can from when ventless cans first started appearing. That thing was twice as slow as any modern can I've ever used. The siphon probably wasn't much faster but it was certainly easier.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ended up buying 2 of the VP racing jugs for quickly dumping into the mower, and one of the Justrite safety cans for “medium term” emergency storage for the generator or whatever. $150 on gas cans to avoid the ventless safety cans, wooo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Was Ken bitching about grease guns here recently? I think he was somewhere, and I was going to pipe up that my Harbor Freight pneumatic gun has never been anything but perfect in the past 15 years... well, I went to use it today and it totally took a poo poo. Still going PFFFT PFFT, but no longer making the grease come out. I've taken it apart a couple times, I don't know if it's not maintaining a prime or what, but I've got 1/3 of a tube of grease left in it and it's not coming out.

That was me on Facebook I think. It turned out to be 50/50 operator error and lovely grease gun shitfuckery. I eventually got it to start pumping grease again but I don't like it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Are there any battery ones that are good? I've got a lot of tractor fitting to grease and the cheapo ones I buy every other year keep making GBS threads the bed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

M12 team red.

Other than that, Lincoln makes decent ones but be sure it's not god drat ni-cad, because I poo poo you not, the last one of theirs I saw was.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Second the Milwaukee. It's good.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Not sure if you read it or not, but the review on the princess auto sucks, says it requires and update but they don't appear to have a website.

Might want to see if you can find that first before buying one.

e: Not surprising a Princess Auto shopper didn't put more than 2 seconds into a search. Here is the mfg webpage.

https://www.launchtechusa.com/product-page/millennium-90

Yeah, that review seems like it was written by a Luddite. All the other reviews are astroturfed YouTube videos though :\

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mustache Ride posted:

Are there any battery ones that are good? I've got a lot of tractor fitting to grease and the cheapo ones I buy every other year keep making GBS threads the bed.

I'm on team yellow and can confirm their version is great as well. Would not tractor/excavator without one.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I wish there was a battery grease gun setup that made it easy to switch grease types. I have different grease requirements for different things, and need to swap back and forth.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MRC48B posted:

I wish there was a battery grease gun setup that made it easy to switch grease types. I have different grease requirements for different things, and need to swap back and forth.

Yeah, that's neve gonna happen from any color. Because that doesn't sell more grease guns.

I do'nt think I've bought a new battery tool in forever. Ebay is loaded with used and even refurb bare tools for like half price or so. I've had excellent luck so far.

In fact, I just check my ebay history. I got a barely used grease gun for $115. Prices now on the bare tool version are $211-ish, with the full kit with a battery and charger being a laughable $400+

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

No, but they could sell me the grease cartridge/hose module for :homebrew: carrying around two motor/battery assemblies is nonsense. I guess the target application is for heavy equipment folks where you throw the same grease at everything.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

In practice it would simply be a bad idea.

The gun would be huge and heavy, but worse than that, the line is going to be full of the other grease whenever you switch over and want to use the other type so you'd have to purge it each time. If you have a separate grease line well guess what, you have in essence 2 grease guns.

Just have a separate grease gun and color-code them or something so you know whats in it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lube Shuttle is the closest to that I can think of, and even then you're still going to have that purging grease issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I keep thinking about finding some little pistons to drop in the end of the tube to allow swapping. Two grease guns is usually enough though.