Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Why yes, Fartie, we DID decide that the last two of the thirty rescue rabbits we took on three years ago are now our buns.

Why yes, Fartie, miss Sylvie IS hopping around the couch. And your chunky nasty feline rear end just got chased off by prey :downs: I swear these cats all act like the rabbits are monster demons from hell. Except Boots the Elder. He bumps noses with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Imo get one of these if you haven’t already.

Comsmart Cat Water Fountain, 81oz/2.4L LED Pet Fountain Stainless Steel Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser for Cats, Dogs, Other Pets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SMPC3MD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TKJHJKZMFCPWPB9MQNF5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Cats don’t care for stagnant water much.

How loud is this?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I run a white noise machine at night playing thunderstorm noises, and I also give my cat a treat before I go to bed. My cat has taken this to mean that thunderstorm noises mean that it is time for a treat, so every time we get a storm she comes up to figure-eight around my ankles because she heard thunder and that means that it is time for treats.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How loud is this?

It’s the sound of trickling water so it’s really not loud. The water gets a little louder when it gets low but if you keep it topped off it’s pretty drat quiet.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Khizan posted:

I run a white noise machine at night playing thunderstorm noises, and I also give my cat a treat before I go to bed. My cat has taken this to mean that thunderstorm noises mean that it is time for a treat, so every time we get a storm she comes up to figure-eight around my ankles because she heard thunder and that means that it is time for treats.

! i should try this. thanks!

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for the advice! She definitely takes off and hides under the bed when there's a particularly loud noise, but otherwise she seems to be mildly acclimating to it. I'll try setting up some hiding places in other rooms and see if she prefers being able to hide close to wherever I am. She's pretty easy-going in general, I just worry about taking that for granted and not noticing that she's getting too stressed until it boils over. So I appreciate the preventative advice!

Khizan posted:

I can't stop laughing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Have now put together the little home base for the kitten for the first few days/week of it living here.

It's bigger than I thought it was going to be - has a bed, interactive toy, litter, and cardboard scratch thing in there.

Does the thread think the litter being that close to where the cat plays/sleeps is going to make it not want to use it?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That looks pretty small for an eight week old kitten? They really need like a room at least. I would not put litter that close to anything.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

That looks pretty small for an eight week old kitten? They really need like a room at least. I would not put litter that close to anything.

I don't have anything like a mud room or emptyish room, just two pretty packed bedrooms and a living room. The bathroom is far too small for a kitten to be in.

I was under the impression it's better to keep things smaller so they don't get overwhelmed, is that not the case? Or is that too small? I was already thinking that the litter is too close, we have a bigger plastic litter box but it's got fairly high walls and we aren't sure how easily the kitten is going to be able to get in and out of that.

The litter material is walnuts apparently. Hope that's okay at least.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

A tiny bed-hiding place like that or a carrier is good but only if they can go in and out themselves. Otherwise it’s just a jail cell.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Surely the bathroom is bigger than that tiny thing at the very least? Kittens are full of energy and need to run around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, warning you now: you will not be able to keep that kitten contained. They are fast and surprisingly creative.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Keeping cat contained is also not a hard and fast unbreakable rule, it's more of a guideline that a lot of cats will be overwhelmed in a large new space and happier in a small one for a while. With a kitten it's also about making sure your space is properly kitten-proof before letting them out I guess. But if it's hard to do in your space then it's not going to be a disaster if you don't do it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh man that thing wouldn't even fit in our bathroom, it's tiny. But alright we'll play it by ear about the space for the cat. We mostly wanted something we could keep closed that would be safe for a kitten if we all need to be out of the apartment at the same time over the next few weeks before it may be safe to let the cat explore by herself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's been a year since we brought the litter robot into the house. He still has to investigate it every time it spins. drat poo poo gremlin

Cat tax

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I mean don’t leave rat poison out on the floor and knives hanging off counters but there isn’t much in a normal house that would make it “unsafe” to let them roam unattended. Keeping them in one room is more to make them feel more comfortable for the first few days.

Really depends how old they are and their personality too. Cats that I’ve gotten real little ~8-12 weeks when they look like tiny furry potatoes will hide from everything for a few days. The ones I got older where they look like actual cats but smaller were full of fun kitten energy basically right away.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I got two 4 week olds a few years ago and snuggled them at night then went to work while they had the run of the downstairs (too small to climb stairs) and they were fine. They're not toddlers, they won't go sticking their fingers into power outlets. Leave the pet pen open so they have a place to hide but otherwise kittens quickly become too curious to be cooped up for long.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm not advocating for kitten jail necessarily, but they can be quite destructive, climbing up curtains, biting anything they find including cables and papers, eating anything that fits in their mouth. They also have no concept that things might fall over onto them or that they might not be able to get out from where they climbed / crawled to.

So if you have an area in your house that isn't kitten proof, I'd try not to leave them there unsupervised, at least until you know that this kitten isn't inclined to do the specific dangerous thing (e.g. many cats have no interest in cables).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Its funny to me. None of our shelter rescues have really had the urge to stay in a room for a few days. They all hang around our bedroom for a few hours then go exploring. Only Fartie really stayed in our room, but i think thats because she came directly from a home that pretty much kept her in one room 24/7.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
For more anecdata, my cat was 6mo when adopted and she was immediately comfortable and interested in exploring my entire one bedroom apartment.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We need a Meyers Briggs test for cats.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think that's a cute little play area for a kitten just put the litter box outside of it and make sure they can climb in and out of it. Probably move the interactive toy out too because that's the kind of toy they want to run AT and tackle so it'll be more fun in a wider area.

There's not much reason to lock them up in that thing unless they need to be unsupervised for a lengthy period in a non-kitten-proofed area though.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to everyone for the plant-eating advice, I now have a little tub of baby blades of grass on the go.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What do you all do with wet food leftovers? I got some big cans from the foster home and Lotte I boy needs half at a time, so I’ve been refrigerating the other half.

She doesn’t like the cold leftovers, and I haven’t had great luck with microwaving for a few seconds or even leaving out to naturally get to room temp.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Split it with her as a bonding exercise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why we only buy the small cans. I hate the extra waste but at least the metal is theoretically recycled, and it results in less food waste.

Once a cat decides they don't want to eat it the battle is lost.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

dantheman650 posted:

What do you all do with wet food leftovers? I got some big cans from the foster home and Lotte I boy needs half at a time, so I’ve been refrigerating the other half.

She doesn’t like the cold leftovers, and I haven’t had great luck with microwaving for a few seconds or even leaving out to naturally get to room temp.

Mine's the same, refrigerated leftovers are filth she won't touch. I never found a solution, now I buy the food that comes in the tiny 85g (3oz) cans. It's more expensive per serving, but not really since most of the stuff in the larger cans go to waste.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

How have people found bitter apple sprays? Maple is taking apart the arm chair cover one thread at a time, at the part where the cover velcros onto the body at the bottom, Ikea-style. I figure my options are either spray it with unpleasant taste, or screw on a metal strip (I don't care too much about the chair, but I don't want her eating a load of thread).

But knowing Maple's history with cat-deterrents, it'll be "I love it, it's fun" again...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I used a bitter grapefruit spray to stop Pepper chewing on wooden stuff to great effect. It does wear off after a while so you may need to reapply it if the cat is smart enough to try stuff again after a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nothing worked for us so I kept buying those tiny scratching posts and setting them up anywhere I saw bad habits and eventually the cats get the hint.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

Do you guys not have the type that come in pouches? Those tend to be the ideal individual size for my (granted chonky) cat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I suppose I owe everyone pics of the kitten that we picked up today - thanks for all the help and advice!

She got a bath with baby shampoo when she got home but hasn't really been scratching and nothing is showing up when we use a flea comb on her so maybe we lucked out.

She's super full of energy and loves playing with the toys we picked up for about an hour and then she passes out hard for another hour. It'll be interesting to see what kind of cycle she settles into. She drank a *lot* of water and had a lot of food (she seemed to eat without any rush so not worried that she's gorging herself) and hasn't used the litter yet, we moved it out so it's spaced a good distance from anything and have put her in it a few times but she just paws at it and looks at us and walks out of it. I guess she'll tell us when she needs it or she'll just use it herself.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Omg those ears!!! That face!! Thank you yes this is adequate payment. Good to hear she's eating and drinking and kittening, she's gonna do just fine don't stress.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
the EARS

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VelociBacon posted:

She's super full of energy and loves playing with the toys we picked up for about an hour and then she passes out hard for another hour.

You appear to have a kitten in good working order.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh right the bath reminds me, one thing that is a good tip which I don't think has come up yet is that you should handle her and play with her paws and open her mouth and look at her teeth and look in her ears as much as possible while she's tiny. Get her used to all of that stuff now while she's small and malleable!

One of my cats was badly injured as a tiny kitten and spent eight weeks at the vet being fixed up before I adopted her and she is an absolute dream to deal with because she's totally used to putting up with whatever. The other one was barely handled as a kitten and is... difficult.....

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

New kittens just dropped.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^cute kittens!

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh right the bath reminds me, one thing that is a good tip which I don't think has come up yet is that you should handle her and play with her paws and open her mouth and look at her teeth and look in her ears as much as possible while she's tiny. Get her used to all of that stuff now while she's small and malleable!

One of my cats was badly injured as a tiny kitten and spent eight weeks at the vet being fixed up before I adopted her and she is an absolute dream to deal with because she's totally used to putting up with whatever. The other one was barely handled as a kitten and is... difficult.....

Yep I've been handling her paws and she has no issue with it. Will handle her mouth (?) soon enough.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

^cute kittens!

Yep I've been handling her paws and she has no issue with it. Will handle her mouth (?) soon enough.

For pilling! And checking teeth in general. In case the ? was for not knowing what sort of handling I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If you can get her to tolerate having her teeth brushed it can pay off down the road. Brushing a couple times a week to prevent gum disease later in life.