Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What's the general verdict on the game right now (as compared to civ6 which has had years of patches and content added)

Better then Civ6 out of the gate or does it need time for patches and more content and worth checking back in around a year?

Good:
Lots of great diplomacy options
Graphics! The map and graphic "cards" for every tech and unit (battle animations are bit cheap though and Avatars are bad)
War weariness is well done imho
I like random events even though they might become repetive

Bad:
The AI has big bonuses (as usual for the 4x genre) but also cheats like how I wrote before
Crazy snowballing that makes the game become boring if you get too ahead, this will probably get better via patches
General lack of... soul? The Avatars are forgettable and I can't get any attachment to the empires with the weird mash-ups

Definately stuff that can be fixed with patches but also bad design choices and lacklustre AI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How is the multiplayer scene for this?

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How is the multiplayer scene for this?

I played an 8 man game for a bit last night with some friends.

Some bad things:

-We had a desync early on and had a reload. Reloading is conceptually nice and easy...
-...unless someone gets the error of 'lobby doesn't exist' in which case they can no longer join the game.

Some good things:

-It's pretty easy to bop back to lobby and reload, though I'm unsure if randoms are up for it.
-While there's a lot of weird connection bugs, everything I've seen is fixed by just remaking the lobby.

Overall, once it got rolling, it was pretty smooth.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Harmonia posted:

Bad:
The AI has big bonuses (as usual for the 4x genre) but also cheats like how I wrote before

This one is handled much better than Civilization, because the main AI bonus on higher difficulty is extra output per unit of population. It means they can stay competitive throughout a game and not simply take a huge head start and fall behind.

I am concerned that the max difficulty isn't high enough, but I play Civilization on Deity so I'm not the person to ask about that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Cheating AI is not a problem as long as it gives you challenge without limiting your strategies.

Civ AI cheating is bad cause it gives them early settlers which is huge. Additional towns give exponential early advantage and make rush a dumb idea, thus affecting your strategies. Or if AI can, like, conjure resources so that you can't blockade them or raid to spoil their economy. If the AI gets stuff a little cheaper but is still limited by economy it's fine. It's emulating a better player.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i played my first game on empire difficulty and it went........ quite well. ended up being the fastest i've ever won at turn 191

the reason?

here's the cultures i picked for those curious

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, I like that about Amplitude's games. You hear the same about all of their games. They allow you to feel unlimited power.

I feel like USA. Or perhaps even like the British Empire... this is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Anyways. I got my lunar lander away and now the mars program requires 3 OIL. Where the F I am going to find 3 oil? I searched the map and found only 2. I had one and I had to conquer the other one. Three?!?! This is on a large map btw.

I have 4 uranium and the map has more, but only 2 oil. How can oil be so much more rare than uranium?!

Edit: the oil was hidden next to the map border. I had my boats on auto explore and they didn't bother searching the last 1-2 hexes next to border, lol.

Now I need to turn up the difficulty two notches or more. The AI could not compete at all especially in basic FIMS production..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 20, 2021

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Metropolis and Nation AI can keep up a bit better yeah.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Is the new world map hugely broken for anyone else? When I found it was full of minor civs which all flipped into magenta civ cities in a couple of turns so that I didn't have space to put down any colonies. The magenta civ was also just flipping random minor civs all over the map which was weird and very irritating.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Game is fun though I'm not too sure what, exactly, is going on.

Also I have not yet found if there are multiple voice lines per gender and I am already annoyed that my avatar has the same voice lines as one of the random AI ones I've met.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

how do you claim a city from another civ once your culture has essentially taken over? the only way i’ve been able to do that is to air grievances and demand that the city, but it’s a coin flip over whether or not they agree to hand it over.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Just finished my 2nd game and I'm enjoying it but the mars colony seems kind of pointless. I ended the game via science even with my entire empire fully invested in building the mars project. Its so hard to get the resources for it that you might as well keep conquering instead. Interested to see how things go a higher difficulties

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Is the new world map hugely broken for anyone else? When I found it was full of minor civs which all flipped into magenta civ cities in a couple of turns so that I didn't have space to put down any colonies. The magenta civ was also just flipping random minor civs all over the map which was weird and very irritating.

That's pretty crazy. In my current game, I had islands set to the highest setting and was able to island hop to the new world with a little bit of ocean sailing and the lighthouse to increase movement range. It was entirely empty when I landed until a couple of independent started spawning. This was around to turn 115 in a slow game. I do appreciate how there are a lot of resources that are only in the new world, have a three continent game and it doesn't seem like the other constant AIs have very many resources at all, and only one or two different ones. It does make me want to experiment with different continent settings though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was on the fence about this game until I saw that you could vassalize your enemies after a war; that's a feature I loved from Civ 4 BtS and I've been missing it in every game since. I always thought that war in these games was so boring since total victory meant you just erased a player from the board, turning them into a subject while keeping them in play was always much more interesting to me. I haven't looked too deeply into how all the casus belli/war weariness stuff works, but I really like the idea of that, as well, injecting a little more diplomacy and political strategy into the decision/resources to declare a war sounds good to me too, at least on paper.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I tried out the helicopter gunships. Pretty funny that their most defining trait is to seal club anyone who doesn't have range units because they can't take retaliation damage aka those players who can barely outfit their stacks with gunpoweder units.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Lol, some Assyrians had a hard day. They declared war on me because I guess they want to kill other people. Too bad I just in time rolled to Hunns... RIP Assyrians. I spawned 12 hunnic horde horsemen from my huts and they just went to town :D Assyrians didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. I learned from my previous games that you don't gently caress with the Huns.. and you never know who will be the Huns. If you see Huns you peace them as much as possible... not fight with them. It's turn 60 and I have 3000 gold and no idea what to buy!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There's definitively a large jump in bonuses for AI going from Nation to Empire; I've been able to dominate pretty easily on Nation but in Empire I keep getting overrun by AI that by all rights would have needed to start making units on Turn 1.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was on the fence about this game until I saw that you could vassalize your enemies after a war; that's a feature I loved from Civ 4 BtS and I've been missing it in every game since. I always thought that war in these games was so boring since total victory meant you just erased a player from the board, turning them into a subject while keeping them in play was always much more interesting to me. I haven't looked too deeply into how all the casus belli/war weariness stuff works, but I really like the idea of that, as well, injecting a little more diplomacy and political strategy into the decision/resources to declare a war sounds good to me too, at least on paper.

Fair warning, you *can*, but only if they are basically already defeated. To vassalize someone you need the kind of warscore that you rarely get before they surrender unless you really blitz your way across.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ihmemies posted:

Lol, some Assyrians had a hard day. They declared war on me because I guess they want to kill other people. Too bad I just in time rolled to Hunns... RIP Assyrians. I spawned 12 hunnic horde horsemen from my huts and they just went to town :D Assyrians didn't have a snowball's chance in hell. I learned from my previous games that you don't gently caress with the Huns.. and you never know who will be the Huns. If you see Huns you peace them as much as possible... not fight with them. It's turn 60 and I have 3000 gold and no idea what to buy!

Historically the best way to deal with the Horse Peoples, bar none (buying them off I mean. I bet a few societies in history would have been delighted to suddenly become The Huns when under threat)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

There's definitively a large jump in bonuses for AI going from Nation to Empire; I've been able to dominate pretty easily on Nation but in Empire I keep getting overrun by AI that by all rights would have needed to start making units on Turn 1.

Fair warning, you *can*, but only if they are basically already defeated. To vassalize someone you need the kind of warscore that you rarely get before they surrender unless you really blitz your way across.

Honestly that's fine, I don't mind warring an enemy into submission, I just like having the option to keep them in play afterward instead of just taking all their stuff and never seeing them again. You can sort of achieve the same result in civ I guess by just leaving them with one backwater city but I like the idea of formally subjugating them instead, flavorwise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yes. It's a bug where the magenta-coloured player automatically gains influence over independent cultures. Which is really weird. The fix is to never start a game with Magenta. (If you start a game as Magenta, you don't benefit)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I discovered how to raze cities—after it officially become yours, you can ransack the town center to remove it completely. This removes all population and infrastructure so best to empty it out first.

It then becomes neutral and you can set up an outpost again.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So finished my endless game at 503 turns and one AI was beating me in fame the whole game but managed to pull ahead in the end with tech.

The game needs re-balancing for resources. I've never been able to find enough gunpowder or uranium or aluminum so my military is always stuck in the medieval age even when I have satelites. I still haven't gotten to play with nukes because of this.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thom12255 posted:

The game needs re-balancing for resources. I've never been able to find enough gunpowder or uranium or aluminum so my military is always stuck in the medieval age even when I have satelites. I still haven't gotten to play with nukes because of this.

This is definitely the number one complaint. In my current game I had iron but not copper for a while, so I couldn't build hoplites. I picture a worker shrugging and saying "Sorry boss, I can't attach that metal to a pole.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Thom12255 posted:

So finished my endless game at 503 turns and one AI was beating me in fame the whole game but managed to pull ahead in the end with tech.

It’s odd because some units require multiple copies of these extremely rare resources to make, AND there is no alternative. I would understand if there were normal and elite versions (or normal and inferior versions). But only having a single Oil deposit locks you out of modern tanks, ships and artillery. Even the Axis in WW2 didn’t have it quite that bad.

On the other hand, I discovered Fusion power without ever owning any Uranium. :iiam:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Vengarr posted:

I discovered how to raze cities—after it officially become yours, you can ransack the town center to remove it completely. This removes all population and infrastructure so best to empty it out first.

:eyepop:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vengarr posted:

You can also do this to outposts during wars and then set your own up to hook into your own cities without waiting for peace.

Incidentally, you can also do this outside of a war so long as the outpost isn't part of a city and also you dont mind the holder hating you.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I razed some outposts with Huns and put up the horse guys to tents. When you get 5/4 pop on a Hun outpost you can send 4 more horsemen out and keep the outpost. Or at least I think it would be dismantled otherwise.. didn't want to try it out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The good thing about Amplitude is they are always quick to drastically patch their games.
The bad thing about Amplitude is they always have to drastically patch their games.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Really don't like how you lose access to culture specific districts when you advance to a later stage culture. I also don't like how the prefab research that make cities start with all tier I &II logistic building doesn't worked retro-actively.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Back Hack posted:

Really don't like how you lose access to culture specific districts when you advance to a later stage culture. I also don't like how the prefab research that make cities start with all tier I &II logistic building doesn't worked retro-actively.

This is especially annoying when you take a city from an independent people in the new world and you have to build all the bullshit buildings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got a weird bug where I didn't get any civics.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Chamale posted:

Yes. It's a bug where the magenta-coloured player automatically gains influence over independent cultures. Which is really weird. The fix is to never start a game with Magenta. (If you start a game as Magenta, you don't benefit)

I think it just moves to a different color, I’ve got Orange player doing the same thing. Maybe actually spending influence though

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Rebellion stacks sure are a thing.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

It's so weird that my sprawling continent-wide city can rush-buy a settler and be like

City: "OK we spent 900 gold you've got all the materials you need for an aqueduct, a lumber mill, a school, and three different kinds of markets! That's on top of the fountain, access to basic irrigation, and a complete set of forges."
Settlers: "Uh.. what the heck are those?"
City: "We invented them 2,000 years ago but never got around to making them because we had too many Pyramids to make."

On another note - my empire in this game has no identity. I'm the Egyptians, then the Celts, then someone, then someone else, gently caress I forget who that was, then I think I'm Japanese now?"

Civ did a great job giving civs identities but letting you play them. You could take the English and found a ruthless form of polytheism but they were still English and that never changed. In addition your opponents never changed - you could count on the Aztecs to be assholes and you knew if you tried to convert Spain they'd be pissed as hell. In this game the Olmecs suddenly turn into the Huns and lay waste to your empire.

In Civ the "character" of the empire was always how you played it, not the bonuses / drawbacks it had. In this game you can choose the bonuses / drawbacks for every era's situation and never worry commit to any identity. It feels less like building and more like a hot-seat game where I play a cool Egypt game for 30 turns where I'm building up a solid production output with chariots for defense then my buddy hops in and goes full CIVUS ROMAN BITCHES and there's no connective tissue.

Civ has the lack of choice, Humankind has too much choice, the truth must be somewhere in between.

Also too much elevation blocking cliffs are dumb as hell. You're telling me you have to spend a whole turn crossing that river but now a battle is going on so you can scramble 5 tiles and shoot?

Neolithic age is a great change, overall game mechanics are good, combat is a great middle ground between Civ 4 and Civ 6, art is gorgeous, but it needs a ton of tuning a ton of balancing and it needs to feel like I'm building something. If I'm Olmec I want to feel like I'm shepherding this enigmatic civilization through the ages, not that I'm the Olmecs until oh wait now I'm some forgetful Persian faction oh now this bonus on the Germans looks good but I need more influence maybe some Poland? It turns the "identity" aspect of 4x into a min-max game.

The pieces that cross eras don't matter. The bonuses that hold over disappear into the excel spreadsheet that awards you 1,302 science a turn, the unique units are either obsolete or ahead on the tech tree because era stars are easier to get than tech or fame (seriously why are era stars putting me in the contemporary age when my tech is in the renaissance age? I'm doing 1 tech per turn??), and other civs change so fast I get an alert that the "Ghanian opinion of you has changed" and I'm like who the gently caress is that oh it's the empire I conquered half of the last few turns, who were they before? gently caress if I know, if their avatar isn't Edgar Alan Poe I'm forgetting them.

This is a mechanically superior game telling inferior stories and that makes it a worse 4x. I'm optimistic they can improve it but the empire "swapping" every era makes it really hard since it's so foundational to the game. Being an Zhou / Mauryan / English / Dutch / German empire with a lot of science / food / industry / gold (it's not hard) does not make me feel like my empire has any identity at all.

Tom Tucker fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 21, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Will say hate how my audio is stuttering for all the cinematic parts of the game; my laptop is like 7 years old but doesn't seem like this game should be this tough on it

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

For my second game I kicked the number of cliffs dropdown down a level, and it's much better and way less annoying.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

appropriatemetaphor posted:

For my second game I kicked the number of cliffs dropdown down a level, and it's much better and way less annoying.

This sounds like heaven

Also default is "new world" with an uninhabited continent? Weird..

Also every continent I've seen so far has been an up and down oval separated by an ocean with a few islands from another up and down oval continent maybe I need to not select "continents" if it's going to be this bisected.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Danann posted:

Rebellion stacks sure are a thing.

88,400 gold per turn, might as well just buyout ten tanks to fight back and not have it hit your income at all

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I can tell you one thing: Going back to EL after Humankind is proving to be tough as hell. The ease of use to fun ratio is like night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Det_no posted:

I can tell you one thing: Going back to EL after Humankind is proving to be tough as hell. The ease of use to fun ratio is like night and day.

I had this exact same reaction because my lovely old laptop can’t handle Humankind but I wanted to play around with something when I don’t have access to the family room tv. Ended up chucking civ5 back on the laptop instead.