Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That's pretty accurate. IRS is a good worker, he went balls deep to make the character work, but was still a wrestling accountant. Which is patently absurd.

I think that gimmick was pretty much lifted from The Simpsons, too, or at least the chronology makes it plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I think that gimmick was pretty much lifted from The Simpsons, too, or at least the chronology makes it plausible.

If it was during the period where Vince employed writers that'd be likely true, but if memory serves it was Vince being petty over the actual IRS looking at his books and finding some irregularities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gavok posted:

I recall even in the early years of Wrestlecrap, they noted that IRS was a beloved heel gimmick that was performed to perfection and was overall good, but it's still absolutely a Wrestlecrap gimmick no matter how you look at it.
What did they think of his banker gimmick?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If it was during the period where Vince employed writers that'd be likely true, but if memory serves it was Vince being petty over the actual IRS looking at his books and finding some irregularities.

yeah, it was very much a Parents TV Council complaints about WWE leading to the creation of Right To Censor situation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mad Magazine used to do parodies of magazine covers back in the day, and they eventually did one for the WWF Magazine. They came up with the wrestling accountant character long before IRS made his debut. Also the look was really similar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Mad Magazine used to do parodies of magazine covers back in the day, and they eventually did one for the WWF Magazine. They came up with the wrestling accountant character long before IRS made his debut. Also the look was really similar

One of the Twitch streams I follow(ed) that streamed 90s WWF stuff (and seems to have disappeared now) aired a show that had some very early IRS stuff. He wore brown-ish tights instead of slacks so this is even closer than it appears on the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc2RdtmW4ng

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

You probably could of had Steve Austin turn heel and not kill business if he didn't team up with Vince McMahon but the minute he shook hands with Vince that pretty much killed business

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At the same time, the way Attitude Era morality worked, teaming up with Vince was pretty much the only way to express "has turned heel".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

At the same time, the way Attitude Era morality worked, teaming up with Vince was pretty much the only way to express "has turned heel".

The crowd was openly cheering him while he trying to puddinize the Rock's kidneys with a chair, I don't think they realized he'd turned heel until the handshake. So you're probably right.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Mark Henry isn’t an all time great but he looks a lot better in retrospect. I think personally I probably shamefully got suckered by the typical racist Vince writing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Austin hugging Vince and having that crazy :stare: on his face was probably the thing I remember most from that whole interaction.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thanlis posted:

Mark Henry isn’t an all time great but he looks a lot better in retrospect. I think personally I probably shamefully got suckered by the typical racist Vince writing.

They also put him on TV before he was ready, and WWE has traditionally sucked koala dick when it comes to writing compelling stories for black wrestlers. Their initial thought for Henry was black Hogan knockoff, which seems extra awful knowing what we now do about Hulk.

sticklefifer posted:

Austin hugging Vince and having that crazy :stare: on his face was probably the thing I remember most from that whole interaction.

It's a bummer him turning heel did disappointing business because Austin did great work as a paranoid top heel.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 19, 2021

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It's funny to think about WWE games back when the main selling point wasn't having 300 people on the roster. Since they could only fit 8-10 per game, anyone who made the cut was OVER in my mind. IRS is in this game? He must be really loving important and a badass.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CommonShore posted:

If you're talking about The Iron Yuppie, that was from a March 1993 episode of the Simpsons, which was nearly two years after IRS debuted the gimmick in WWF. When the episode aired, IRS/Ted Dibiase were reigning tag champions and poised to defend their belts against Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake in three weeks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tato posted:

It's funny to think about WWE games back when the main selling point wasn't having 300 people on the roster. Since they could only fit 8-10 per game, anyone who made the cut was OVER in my mind. IRS is in this game? He must be really loving important and a badass.

It still blows my mind that Raw for 32X treats Kwang like he's Akuma from Street Fighter.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Maxwell Lord posted:

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 but Austin has since said that, in retrospect, he'd wished he'd called an audible and hit Vince with a stunner after he got the pin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

If you're talking about The Iron Yuppie, that was from a March 1993 episode of the Simpsons, which was nearly two years after IRS debuted the gimmick in WWF. When the episode aired, IRS/Ted Dibiase were reigning tag champions and poised to defend their belts against Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake in three weeks.

Even Money Inc was weird. IRS was not, in fact, Ted's personal accountant or possibly bent IRS inside man but just 'also rich.'

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Even Money Inc was weird. IRS was not, in fact, Ted's personal accountant or possibly bent IRS inside man but just 'also rich.'

It's the weird broke brained mentality that tax people want your (read rich people's) money to make themselves personally rich and not, y'know, to pay for roads and schools and (ideally in a sane world) hospitals.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think it was probably just IRS and DiBiase had money-themed gimmicks.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Austin's heel turn broke the golden rule of turns, which is that you do them after the character is already getting the new reaction. The whole point of his original face turn was that people were already cheering for him while he was heel.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Edge & Christian posted:

Ah I got it mixed up with the wrestling appearance in "Bart the Daredevil" which was from 1990

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Austin's heel turn broke the golden rule of turns, which is that you do them after the character is already getting the new reaction. The whole point of his original face turn was that people were already cheering for him while he was heel.

Vince was still trying to keep him heel for way too long despite Austin being cheered. But then, Vince thought that he himself was the babyface in the crowd's eyes wrt the Bret Hart montreal screwjob, and when Austin first stunnered Vince he still thought he was the babyface in that and it took him a few weeks to realize he wasn't.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

re: IRS

The Road Warriors held four World Tag Team Titles (1 x AWA, 1 x NWA, 2 x WWF). They lost two of them to teams that included Mike Rotundo/IRS.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Another problem with the Austin turn was that, initially, he was playing fourth wheel to HHH, Vince AND Stephanie, despite being world champion and the company's top star. It's like they saw that people weren't interested in booing him so they didn't trust him to perform. It wasn't until HHH got injured and Stephanie took some time off to be with him that he got to shine. Also, with Rock gone there was a distinct lack of top faces for him to feud with. There was Undertaker and Kane, but Taker was in Limp Bizkit biker mode, and when they tried to elevate Benoit and Jericho that initially didn't work out either. A lot of things went wrong with that run, some of which weren't even anyone's fault.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Another problem with the Austin turn was that, initially, he was playing fourth wheel to HHH, Vince AND Stephanie, despite being world champion and the company's top star. It's like they saw that people weren't interested in booing him so they didn't trust him to perform. It wasn't until HHH got injured and Stephanie took some time off to be with him that he got to shine. Also, with Rock gone there was a distinct lack of top faces for him to feud with. There was Undertaker and Kane, but Taker was in Limp Bizkit biker mode, and when they tried to elevate Benoit and Jericho that initially didn't work out either. A lot of things went wrong with that run, some of which weren't even anyone's fault.

HHH getting the win over Austin before WrestleMania to set up him as a face challenger, then deciding he would just stay heel instead is one of his funniest moves. Can't imagine why people get so much joy out of watching his political maneuverings fall apart!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Tried with Jericho might need quotation marks around it. He's the first unified champ and still playing gofer to Stephanie. (This is not nitpicking what you said, more shaking my head at the angle of the time.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Tried with Jericho might need quotation marks around it. He's the first unified champ and still playing gofer to Stephanie. (This is not nitpicking what you said, more shaking my head at the angle of the time.)

I said it before, and I'll say it again: If HHH hadn't been out with his quad injury, no way would Jericho have been the first Unified Champ over him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Are there any wrestlers of note that had a wizard gimmick? Not just users of magic but an out-and-out loving *wizard*. (And not Grand Wizard Ernie Roth.) Bonus points if you have photos, videos, or even stories.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Are there any wrestlers of note that had a wizard gimmick? Not just users of magic but an out-and-out loving *wizard*. (And not Grand Wizard Ernie Roth.) Bonus points if you have photos, videos, or even stories.

Kevin Nash as Oz

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Kevin Nash as Oz

I just watched a match. What the gently caress. Why would you take a giant brute and package him as a loving wizard

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Warner Media owned both WCW and a large collection of films and it was the idea of someone in charge of WCW to leverage Warner's film connection to create a bunch of wrestlers to reference classic films that warner had the rights to.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
AEW is going to debut a wrestler called The Accountant

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Warner Media owned both WCW and a large collection of films and it was the idea of someone in charge of WCW to leverage Warner's film connection to create a bunch of wrestlers to reference classic films that warner had the rights to.

God they really did a Space Jam 2 to him. Wow.

Were there other wrestling wizards? Any that wrestled maybe a little wizardly/cerebrally? Like when I think of a wrestling wizard I think of maybe The Genius with less gay panic and maybe some Phantasio-style gimmicks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

God they really did a Space Jam 2 to him. Wow.

Were there other wrestling wizards? Any that wrestled maybe a little wizardly/cerebrally? Like when I think of a wrestling wizard I think of maybe The Genius with less gay panic and maybe some Phantasio-style gimmicks.

There was The Grand Wizard but he was a manager.

Also the Shining Wizard which is a move.

Orin Veidt is witch/wizard/warlock adjacent in terms of a modern gimmick that isn't trying to be silly.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Turner. Not Time Warner, he wouldn’t merge with TW until 1996.

Because Ted had bought the majority of the pre-80s MGM catalog for broadcast on Turner networks in 1986 and had also bought Jim Crockett Promotions two years later, they figured it was a natural combination, using this valuable intellectual property like The Wizard of Oz to bolster pro wrestler gimmicks and maybe draw crowds that wouldn’t “normally” attend a wrestling show.

Also note that this is why then-WWF wrestler Hulk Hogan appears in Warner Bros. movie Gremlins 2 - with the title belt! - without it being a conflict of interest: that movie was five years before the owner of JCP sat on the board of Time Warner.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
gently caress, yeah, I was specifically thinking of the MGM library and the eventual Turner Classic Movies.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If someone were to have come up to you in the summer of 2016 and described the current state of play in US and international pro wrestling, what would have been the most surprising thing to you?

(apart from the pandemic of course)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lamuella posted:

If someone were to have come up to you in the summer of 2016 and described the current state of play in US and international pro wrestling, what would have been the most surprising thing to you?

NJPW is in a steep steep steep decline despite having the same booker. TNA is more respected than RoH.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lamuella posted:

Probably Ultimo Dragon's return to DG and that Shingo is now IWGP champion. Never thought I'd see that in a million years.

Though if someone told me there's now a viable US alternative to WWE that has Omega, Young Bucks, PAC, Tommy End, Penta, Fenix, Matt Hardy and Christian, I'd probably either think you were bullshitting me, or that Impact got a lot bigger. Even more if you said "And they also have CM Punk, and Bryan Danielson is coming soon!" Like come the gently caress on dude, you're making that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

That AEW as doing 5,000+ fans on average and was going to do 4 10,000+ crowds (one maybe at 20,000!) in a 6 week span. If you told me they were averaging a million viewers per week I wouldn't be shocked, in 2016 a million viewers per week didn't seem out of reach for a well funded #2, but regular big crowds seemed crazy. No one had managed that since WCW. Seemed impossible. When the first AEW rumors popped up 3 years ago I wondered why a network would want to put a show on national TV with just 1,000 people in the building! No way they could fill arenas even with the success of All In.