Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Lunick_Fiore/status/1428896609052487680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know it's a joke thread but still :laffo:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm in the middle of Dimensions of the Past, it's a fine vanilla episode. How is Dimensions of the Machine, difficulty wise?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It has some tricky fights on nightmare because of the health cap, but there's nothing too nasty. About on the same level as something like dwell or udob. The most dangerous parts are the environmental hazards, traps and platforming segments over lava. The final cthon fight is also pretty mean because the splash damage & blind corners you have to dash out from.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Barudak posted:

Also there have been all of 2 of those exploding slime bastards so far through all the maps of Descent into the Machine so you know what Machine Games, congrats on not falling for the mistake the designers of Quake did.
Spawns are great and one of the best fights in mg is the end of episode 2(3?) where you are up against the three vores on pillars with the spawn-in knights and spawns bouncing around everwhere making it risky to shoot anything.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Artelier posted:

Tried the Project Warlock 2 demo and quite enjoyed it. How does Project Warlock 1 fare? It looks a bit more jank with its very square looking layouts and I personally find it difficult to parse what's going on, at least in the videos I'm watching.

I enjoyed it. The levels are all hand-crafted and play pretty well which is a huge plus. I ignored the spells entirely and went all-in on upgrading my weapons instead and the shooting felt good.

Worst I can say about it is that the limited colour palette and uniform corridors can make the levels feel a little samey in places.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

koren posted:

Spawns are great and one of the best fights in mg is the end of episode 2(3?) where you are up against the three vores on pillars with the spawn-in knights and spawns bouncing around everwhere making it risky to shoot anything.

Laffo I literally just did that fight. Quad damage power up and survived with literal 1 hp. Good room

Edit: Booted up Quake 2. Quake 2 sucks

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 21, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone who has looked at their twitter before, but the libretro (retroarch core project) is being very normal about QuakeEX.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm sure this will come as no surprise to anyone who has looked at their twitter before, but the libretro (retroarch core project) is being very normal about QuakeEX.

Is this people claiming it breaks the open software agreement with Quake or some new pile of madness

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm playing on medium, beat ep 1, onto ep 2 (I think Ogre citadel is, so far, my new favourite map) and WOW is Ebon fortress kicking my rear end. I was sort of ok, until the loving shambler on that walkway near what I believe is the end of the map. Holy poo poo :gonk:

I don't remember it being this brutal when I played it a few years ago.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Barudak posted:

Is this people claiming it breaks the open software agreement with Quake or some new pile of madness
The EULA contains language that could be interpreted as disallowing modding (but is most likely standard boilerplate against reverse engineering), so people are jumping to the conclusion that Quake mods are illegal now

koren
Sep 7, 2003

It's a reasonable concern and unsurprising to see a person deep in the open source world voicing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake 2 has a crouch button. A crouch button. A sin before god and man

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Quake 2 has a crouch button. A crouch button. A sin before god and man

At the other hand, both shotguns sound and feel better. Quake 2's super shotgun has one of the most satisfying chunky metal noises when pumping it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

At the other hand, both shotguns sound and feel better. Quake 2's super shotgun has one of the most satisfying chunky metal noises when pumping it.

chonk chonk

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna finish Quake 2, this time. Attempt #4. It'll happen.

Also in a move my computer does that continues to confound me it has refused to run the steam version of Quake 2 I own for the last, oh 6+ years. The game pass version works smooth and flawless. I didn't even have to lower the graphical settings.

Edit: Oh thats because its running at 768? The hell is this resolution? Whatever it works.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
You should use Yamagi for quake 2

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think Ogre citadel is, so far, my new favourite map

If you get around to Arcane Dimensions, ADEM2 Ogre Fortress is a pretty neat take on that map.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

koren posted:

It's a reasonable concern and unsurprising to see a person deep in the open source world voicing it.

quake mods are illegal now [checks menu literally intended for approved mods to be added to console versions that otherwise wouldn't get them] nvm

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I've done it I've finally finished Unit 1 in Quake. There are only <checks notes> 9 more of these things?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Was more thinking about the implications for reverse engineering/reimplementation of any of the changes made to the game for the new episode, lighting stuff, progs.dat changes etc. I dunno, It'd be nice if they published stuff and made their standards open to eliminate compatibility concerns going forward...

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

koren posted:

Was more thinking about the implications for reverse engineering/reimplementation of any of the changes made to the game for the new episode, lighting stuff, progs.dat changes etc. I dunno, It'd be nice if they published stuff and made their standards open to eliminate compatibility concerns going forward...
Releasing their progs.dat sources would be nice but Quake maps already tend to be fairly specific about what you use to play them and the original release of Quake isn't going anywhere. I think the engine source code itself is unlikely to ever see any kind of release since it's probably laden with unlicensable middleware like the Kex engine and the Nintendo Switch SDK.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Project Warlock 2 demo is cool - the first game having kind of a Wolf3D vibe was neat, but it made things feel a bit...samey over time?

My only complaint about 2 is I ran out of ammo at one point early in the demo, and kinda just couldn't do anything? I basically had to rush past enemies to get to the shotgun and that more or less solved that problem, but it was real awkward not having some kind of backup gun or melee. Granted, acquiring the sword, I do like that it seems like they want the melee to be more useful then "thing you use when you have no ammo"?

My weak-rear end eyes/dark monitor could use a brightness slider though.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed it. The levels are all hand-crafted and play pretty well which is a huge plus. I ignored the spells entirely and went all-in on upgrading my weapons instead and the shooting felt good.

Worst I can say about it is that the limited colour palette and uniform corridors can make the levels feel a little samey in places.

I think I ended up ignoring spells a lot too, which is why I'm wondering if the abilities (akimbo) are replacing the function/spirit of spells.

Only gripe about QuakeEX: Since they added it, the Quake bundle is gone from Steam.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Volte posted:

I think the engine source code itself is unlikely to ever see any kind of release since it's probably laden with unlicensable middleware like the Kex engine and the Nintendo Switch SDK.

The Doom 3 BFG release was GPLed, it just didn't contain unlicensable stuff like Bink video, console/Steam platform functionality and most memorably Carmack's Reverse. If they wanted to open-source it, life tends to find a way.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Anyone else ever die, hit quick load and then realize that the last time you saved was in the previous level?

I'm too used to modern games basically not needing manual saving at all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Peewi posted:

Anyone else ever die, hit quick load and then realize that the last time you saved was in the previous level?

I'm too used to modern games basically not needing manual saving at all.

Yes, which annoyingly once I get back into the groove of older game saving I'm obsessive and constant

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

danbo posted:

The Doom 3 BFG release was GPLed, it just didn't contain unlicensable stuff like Bink video, console/Steam platform functionality and most memorably Carmack's Reverse. If they wanted to open-source it, life tends to find a way.
Sure but in that case, the game could still be run without those things. My impression is this new port is heavily dependent on the Kex engine, not to mention quite heavily integrated with the Bethesda platform. If someone inside really, really wanted to get the code GPL'd it might be able to be done, but I don't think it would be a compilable project resembling anything like the actual release. I could be wrong though.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's cool that you can play Quake on the toilet now but if you're not bunny hopping between ogres at 500ups what's even the point
Actually homebrew quake on Wii was really sick and bhopping wasn't too hard with the motion aiming, i bet it would work pretty well with gyro aim also

Johnny Joestar posted:

quake mods are illegal now [checks menu literally intended for approved mods to be added to console versions that otherwise wouldn't get them] nvm

Cultural milestones as huge as Doom & Quake becoming open-source is a rare miracle, it's right and correct to be overprotective of a thing that belongs to the people particularly where Zenimax is involved.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mmmm there is price to pay for the nice graphics...

This is, of course, in the new hub that is meant to be a visual showcase, there is no combat so they knew they could push the envelope. I hit my 140 fps cap in most other areas. But it's clear their engine isn't magic, like any other one.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Oxyclean posted:

Project Warlock 2 demo is cool - the first game having kind of a Wolf3D vibe was neat, but it made things feel a bit...samey over time?

My only complaint about 2 is I ran out of ammo at one point early in the demo, and kinda just couldn't do anything? I basically had to rush past enemies to get to the shotgun and that more or less solved that problem, but it was real awkward not having some kind of backup gun or melee. Granted, acquiring the sword, I do like that it seems like they want the melee to be more useful then "thing you use when you have no ammo"?

That dumb sword got me killed, I didn't realize it used "ammo"/"stamina" so here I am thinking I got a get out of jail free card as I'm surrounded and... I can no longer swing and I'm dead.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm actually enjoying the 50HP cap in Nightmare more than I thought I would, adds a healthy bit of challenge to certain levels. Blasting my way through the base game before I move on to the mission packs, which I've never played before.

fake edit: count me as one of those people with a steam account with 400+ games and a switch with dozens of modern games on it and yet my two highest played games right now are Doom 2 (through gzdoom) and Quake lol

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Turin Turambar posted:

Mmmm there is price to pay for the nice graphics...

This is, of course, in the new hub that is meant to be a visual showcase, there is no combat so they knew they could push the envelope. I hit my 140 fps cap in most other areas. But it's clear their engine isn't magic, like any other one.

r_gpuculling 0 might help the FPS there. It helps on the Switch, but seems to be slower on the PC for many people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

spongeh posted:

r_gpuculling 0 might help the FPS there. It helps on the Switch, but seems to be slower on the PC for many people.

It does!

Impressive:

(that's the framerate cap)

So... why something that should help (culling) is actually reducing the fps by 400%???

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Turin Turambar posted:

It does!

Impressive:

(that's the framerate cap)

So... why something that should help (culling) is actually reducing the fps by 400%???
cause kaiser focked up
https://twitter.com/SVKaiser/status/1428885002880786434

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A thread about Quake importance in the industry. Not like it's anything new for us
https://twitter.com/pagb666/status/1428443686241722374

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

Artelier posted:

Tried the Project Warlock 2 demo and quite enjoyed it. How does Project Warlock 1 fare? It looks a bit more jank with its very square looking layouts and I personally find it difficult to parse what's going on, at least in the videos I'm watching.

I've recently played through it and mostly enjoyed it, but know that it's a big step down from the PW 2 demo in terms of gameplay and level design. The demo shows off one of the few larger more open levels in the game, but when you jump into the full game you'll be in mostly tiny claustrophobic corridors for a long time through the first couple episodes. Most of the difficulty in PW1 is derived from turning corners or opening doors and having enemies instantly shoot you before you can see them and react (screw you anubis), so it becomes a game of corner peeking/shooting eventually (at least on hard difficulty).

It's fun and the levels are relatively small so you can run through them quickly, but it's really simplistic.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Where's Prodeus at development wise? I really dig what I've seen, but I'm allergic to indev EA stuff

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

victrix posted:

Where's Prodeus at development wise? I really dig what I've seen, but I'm allergic to indev EA stuff

It feels like a feature complete polished FPS game (like, really polished) but with only a single campaign episode, so basically just lacking in the full campaign content. There's a huge amount of user content to play though because the map editor is amazing and the user content is completely integrated into the game so there's tons of stuff to play once you finish the official campaign episode. It's definitely way more complete than the stereotype steam EA game.

Prodeus and Ultrakill are the best EA games I've ever bought

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

victrix posted:

I think they added or will soon be adding a second episode of levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

victrix posted:

Quiet for a while, but they released a new trailer this month showing new levels and online co-op support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDFGIgOiLI