Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New York doesn't have a governor until Tuesday

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are Manhattan skyscrapers even built to withstand hurricanes

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

McNugget Buddy posted:

we're about to find out :munch:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whats the rainfall gonna look like?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McNugget Buddy posted:

yes that was a big thing with the citigroup building

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It doesn't look very strong so it'll all be about the storm front and how much rain it brings.

Or whether another hurricane hits the area too before the end of the season, that's always a possibility!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

McNugget Buddy posted:

unbendable steel bends... when the furrryyyyy of the winnnnd is unstoppableeeeeeeeeeeee.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hurricanes won’t bother the buildings

now, about the subway,

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Stairmaster posted:

whats the rainfall gonna look like?

it's like drops of water just fallin out of the sky

pretty cool imo

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

SpaceCadetBob posted:

lol rip nyc subways.

submarine ways

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

hurricanes won’t bother the buildings

now, about the subway,

prayers for pizza rat :(

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

it's like drops of water just fallin out of the sky

pretty cool imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

McNugget Buddy posted:

the wind loads for the steel? yeah, easily

the glass in all those windows? lol

tbf it should go without saying that you really shouldn't be outside during a hurricane

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
There were two tornados Thursday from Fred in NW Connecticut (Thompson CT / Webster MA) and another fully in Mass (Clinton MA) but there was also a tornado a few weeks ago in North-Northwest CT (Somers CT) and I cannot for the life of me remember a time in the last 35 years where we had multiple tornadoes like this over the course of a month.

Looking forward to Henri giving me a hell of a party tomorrow night tho and taking away my electricity for a week+ like Sandy

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I live in CT directly in the path of Henri and can't wait to have no power for a week because of this crumbling dogshit state's infrastructure made out of dust and Eversource who have a monopoly on power service love too sit around with their thumb in their rear end in a top hat instead of actually repairing things after a storm. Great, fuckin stoked. Really excited. Normal as gently caress to have to get a hurricane in CT. Woo

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
In the middle of a two week camping trip throughout the northeast which so far tracked with the remnants of Fred for four days of leaky tent paradise. Leaving for Acadia tomorrow and Henri awaits to crash that. I avoided FL over crowds, covid and threat of tropical weather and look at this funny poo poo I am in. The intersection of two tropical weather systems, one of which hasn't happened in 30 years. What are the odds?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

500excf type r posted:

Looking forward to Henri giving me a hell of a party tomorrow night tho and taking away my electricity for a week+ like Sandy

Just remember you can claim any spoiled food on your homeowners/renters' insurance. :v:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rip Testes posted:

In the middle of a two week camping trip throughout the northeast which so far tracked with the remnants of Fred for four days of leaky tent paradise. Leaving for Acadia tomorrow and Henri awaits to crash that. I avoided FL over crowds, covid and threat of tropical weather and look at this funny poo poo I am in. The intersection of two tropical weather systems, one of which hasn't happened in 30 years. What are the odds?

drat has it really been 30 years? got some fond memories of Bob loving up my favorite playground on the north shore of Boston

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Wamsutta posted:

I live in CT directly in the path of Henri and can't wait to have no power for a week because of this crumbling dogshit state's infrastructure made out of dust and Eversource who have a monopoly on power service love too sit around with their thumb in their rear end in a top hat instead of actually repairing things after a storm. Great, fuckin stoked. Really excited. Normal as gently caress to have to get a hurricane in CT. Woo

"This post is paid for by a surcharge on customer bills"

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everyone I have ever met from Connecticut is a millionaire lawyer or media executive. How on earth is your infrastructure crumbling too?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everyone I have ever met from Connecticut is a millionaire lawyer or media executive. How on earth is your infrastructure crumbling too?

They don't like paying taxes, so no funds for road crews.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wamsutta posted:

idk maybe i'm just cucked for privately-owned utilities, but it's p normal to me to expect an outage of a week or so due to something like sustained 100mph winds loving everything up

like we're talkin extreme weather where the severity scale is based on how much structural damage to expect

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

idk maybe i'm just cucked for privately-owned utilities, but it's p normal to me to expect an outage of a week or so due to something like sustained 100mph winds loving everything up

like we're talkin extreme weather where the severity scale is based on how much structural damage to expect

Eversource in CT is a special breed of gently caress you pay us

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So with the forecasting models having such a hard time with predicting Henri forming, is that a sign that the atmosphere has changed enough that our models are breaking down?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I looked at some noaa maps to see how the hurricane is forming that far north and welp

I can see barely any trace of the north atlantic current, but I do see temps capable of tropical cyclone formation north of delaware. That's pretty funny

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

got extremely horny when I read "headed for Montauk"

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/JGodynick/status/1429034780855836673

so uh what happens when that 12’ storm surge pushes down the east river into Manhattan?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Zil posted:

So with the forecasting models having such a hard time with predicting Henri forming, is that a sign that the atmosphere has changed enough that our models are breaking down?

no

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
The parking lot of the westchester county amusement park was full of power company trucks prior to Isaias, none there today. Coned gonna be boned if it hooks left.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

goddammit gently caress youtube gently caress google

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Aug 21, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceCadetBob posted:

so uh what happens when that 12’ storm surge pushes down the east river into Manhattan?

yorkville gets wet.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

A new app for gondoliers

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

One hell of a great lakes hurricane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

starry starry night is such a good painting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Day After Tomorrow was extremely prescient, yes

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Day After Tomorrow predicted one big global superstorm event. Thats the problem with all the disaster movies, they were always singular mega events that happened suddenly and if you could ride them out that was the end of it.

The real climate collapse won't have a crescendo, just things getting worse and worse and worse with no relief in the lifetime of the human species

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

500excf type r posted:

Eversource in CT is a special breed of gently caress you pay us

speaking of. here they are giving up already.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WFSBnews/status/1429163279792803844

hope your ready!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wamsutta posted:

whoa did you really join the forum on 9/9? jealous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thank you for realizing that I believe that this is exactly what will happen, I am not posting this picture out of a sense of lighthearted fun, I am incredibly serious about this