Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Sony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I guess I should mention that if it requires a Google Home device or even an Android tablet or something like that, that's fine too, as long as you don't have to touch something to control the TV.
Sony TV's can do this? Directly through the TV?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cicero posted:

Is it possible to get a TV where you can use Google Assistant to completely control it, hands-free (no remote necessary, just yelling at the TV)? Like, turn on/off, change volume, select app, select video within app, playback controls, etc.

My Hisense can do this. In fact, it has a physical mic button that (theoretically) turns it off. I find it to be pretty poo poo, to be honest. It ignores context, like giving you a loving address for a business when you want a youtube channel while the youtube app is running.

At least it's stopped going to the Google Play Store app page when I say, "Open Crunchyroll."... :-/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Aug 18, 2021

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Cicero posted:

Sony TV's can do this? Directly through the TV?

I think so, it's just Android/Google TV. I push a button on the remote and talk but pretty sure OK Google/Google Assistant can be set up as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cicero posted:

Is it possible to get a TV where you can use Google Assistant to completely control it, hands-free (no remote necessary, just yelling at the TV)? Like, turn on/off, change volume, select app, select video within app, playback controls, etc.

Using a Chromecast I can do most of those things. You can't navigate the app menus nor can you use arbitrary apps, but you can request content from supported apps and have it control power on supported TVs.

If I were to say "Hey Google, play Bojack Horseman" in my bedroom the CCwGTV would use HDMI-CEC to turn my TV on and set the correct input while it was launching the Netflix app and picking up where I left off. I can then pause, control volume, and skip around with voice commands. I can not browse, however. My bedroom TV also does not support the power off command over CEC for some reason so I have to turn it off with the remote.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, so glad I checked this thread. Grabbed two Chromecasts and they work like a charm.

Super snappy, easy to set up and way less of a pain than using native apps.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Looking for TV recommendations. I've been using one 32'' TV for the past 12 years. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade over it.

Uses: PS5/gaming mainly.

Budget: Less than $800. Want a decent 4k TV that will take advantage of the PS5 capabilities.

Size: 42''-55'' max. I'm in an apartment, so I won't be too far away from the TV. I'll be sitting about 6-8 feet away.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Palmtree Panic posted:

Budget: Less than $800. Want a decent 4k TV that will take advantage of the PS5 capabilities.
This is just one a-hole's opinion, but $800 seems to come up short for the PS5's list.

Do you want better resolution, color accuracy, brightness, and the regular improvements getting a newer gen TV brings? Or do you want the cutting edge poo poo like Variable Refresh, HDMI 2.x, Atmos, etc?

You can certainly get a set that will be an improvement, but be careful with your target wants.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Looking for TV recommendations. I've been using one 32'' TV for the past 12 years. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade over it.

Uses: PS5/gaming mainly.

Size: 42''-55'' max. I'm in an apartment, so I won't be too far away from the TV. I'll be sitting about 6-8 feet away.

Hisense U7G 55" is right outside your price range at 850ish and has the PS5 goodies like 120hz. I also sit about 6-8 feet from the TV and am very glad I went 65". You could get a 65" U6G and stay within your budget with still a very nice panel, but you lose the PS5 specific features by going down one model number.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

FilthyImp posted:

This is just one a-hole's opinion, but $800 seems to come up short for the PS5's list.

Do you want better resolution, color accuracy, brightness, and the regular improvements getting a newer gen TV brings? Or do you want the cutting edge poo poo like Variable Refresh, HDMI 2.x, Atmos, etc?

You can certainly get a set that will be an improvement, but be careful with your target wants.

Not necessarily looking for the cutting edge stuff. I've been using a 32''' for the past decade, so anything is an improvement over that. I really just want a nice 4k TV that will last me a while.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the CEC Hell Loop without losing CEC altogether? I have a CX and a PS5 (audio to ARC but the PS5 goes direct to the TV) and a Yamaha, uh, I forget, RX 5XX something, I can look it up if I have to.

The Hell Loop is as follows:

0) PS5 does not appear able to turn the TV off, so I must use the TV's power off.
1) Power TV off.
2) TV tells PS5 to enter standby. PS5 enters standby sequence. TV also tells receiver to power off, it does so immediately.
3) TV is powered off. PS5 is entering standby but has not finished doing so and is still outputting video.
4) TV wakes up in response to HDMI video
from PS5 and begins powering on. PS5 enters standby at this point. Receiver also instantly wakes up.
5) TV wakes into last used input. TV tells PS5 to power on.
6) Everything's on again.

Sometimes I hear the receiver powering up with its usual click and the power LED on the TV blinking, and if I immediately hit the power button on the TV remote I can abort the sequence at step 4 (interestingly this doesn't power down the receiver so I have to do that manually).

I love CEC so much.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I have the same exact problem, so I standby the PS, and then when the light turns yellow, I turn off the TV which turns off the receiver. If I don't, the TV will shutoff after a bit, but it does take a few minutes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fedule posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the CEC Hell Loop without losing CEC altogether?
I disabled the option on the PS5 that allows the console to turn the TV off and on.
So I can power the thing on or off and it won't affect the AV gear.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Hisense U7G 55" is right outside your price range at 850ish and has the PS5 goodies like 120hz. I also sit about 6-8 feet from the TV and am very glad I went 65". You could get a 65" U6G and stay within your budget with still a very nice panel, but you lose the PS5 specific features by going down one model number.
The TCL 5 Series is similar. No VRR/120hz 4k.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Best Buy has the 55" Roku and Google TV versions of the 2021 TCL 55S546 for usd $650:
4k, QLED, 2 HDMI 2.1 ports, 120Hz, VRR, eARC, Chromecast, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...xHPXE0&irgwc=1&

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I stand corrected! That's a decent set.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I never had an issue with CEC until I got my new 6 series TCL, now the Shield just loving hates it and goes into a state of eternal limbo with everything turning on and off as if possessed by bughuul himself

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Only issue I've had with CEC on the Hisense is that it won't switch inputs (e.g., when powering on the Switch) if it's in screen saver mode.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mister Facetious posted:

Best Buy has the 55" Roku and Google TV versions of the 2021 TCL 55S546 for usd $650:
4k, QLED, 2 HDMI 2.1 ports, 120Hz, VRR, eARC, Chromecast, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, HLG

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...xHPXE0&irgwc=1&

I don't think the 5 series are 120Hz?

Also are the new 6 series with Google TV exclusive to Best Buy? I haven't bought anything from them in 10 years after they hosed me over one too many times on things I was pre-ordering. And a 15 day return policy doesn't sound that great.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know if they're exclusive to Best Buy (Amazon might too), but that's the store AP linked to in the article:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/08/10/tcls-latest-tvs-upgrade-from-roku-to-full-blown-google-tv/

TCL's website confirms 60hz, with a VRR of 48-60.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Aug 22, 2021

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm in the market for a new 60" TV, to be used for gaming and streaming. I'd like good picture quality (OLED/QLED), and I have the money to spend. The catch is that I refuse to be advertised at on a machine I paid thousands of pounds for, so gently caress Samsung and gently caress LG and by the looks of it gently caress every single manufacturer out there. Do I have any options? Like, at all? :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm in the market for a new 60" TV, to be used for gaming and streaming. I'd like good picture quality (OLED/QLED), and I have the money to spend. The catch is that I refuse to be advertised at on a machine I paid thousands of pounds for, so gently caress Samsung and gently caress LG and by the looks of it gently caress every single manufacturer out there. Do I have any options? Like, at all? :(

Get a CX/C1 and airgap it when you're not running firmware updates, and use a Roku/Shield/Apple/Fire/console for netflix etc. Only way to be sure.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Right there with you, generally. On my LG C9 I can turn the ads off. If they ever come back forcibly I’ll just disconnect it from the internet.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FilthyImp posted:

I disabled the option on the PS5 that allows the console to turn the TV off and on.
So I can power the thing on or off and it won't affect the AV gear.

The thing with this is, I want to be able to turn the TV on using the PS5.

I really wish you could specifically tell CEC stuff to only obey or send specifically on/off signals as opposed to disabling it entirely.

(and I really wish the PS5 could send HDMI volume +/- commands)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

Google TV has a "dumb mode" option in the setup for its new TVs, but you should be able to use the PS5/XSeX as your smart platform; they have compatibility with smart remotes.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The C1 can boot to an input and you can program hotkeys for any apps, or input you want, so no need to ever see ads i f you don't want to. I avoid the home screen altogether.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Iirc on LG if you don't agree to any agreements it runs in dumb mode.
There is also the possibility of getting an business/industrial version of the TV. They cost couple times more, but have no adds.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a quick question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.
I was watching the Green Knight this weekend on my LG OLED.

It was a very dark movie (which is fine) but I noticed on some of the darker lit scenes a sort of a banding from the light source to dark rather than it being blended out. Basically you had ~1" bands going from light to dark. What setting would I want to gently caress with to eliminate this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What was your source?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

xfinity cable box streaming 4k. I've also noticed it with my ps5 while playing ac valhalla during the loading screens, I just thought it was part of the game. I should be able to snap a pic later if that would help.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
There might be some issues with The Green Knight's transfers at the moment.

I watched the A24 stream (from their Screening Room app) and it was a poo poo 1080p stream with heavy banding in the dark scenes.

Then there are numerous complaints on the Amazon reviews (from the Prime Video stream) saying it's way too dark.

But I don't remember the movie being dark at all. So I'm thinking the non A24 stream (even though it was low-ish quality) has a brightness/HDR error somewhere in it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a quick question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.
I was watching the Green Knight this weekend on my LG OLED.

It was a very dark movie (which is fine) but I noticed on some of the darker lit scenes a sort of a banding from the light source to dark rather than it being blended out. Basically you had ~1" bands going from light to dark. What setting would I want to gently caress with to eliminate this?

Sony has an algorithm setting specifically to reduce noticable banding but to my knowledge they're the only one that does it on their sets ("Smooth Gradation"). Banding will also stand out more in a lower resolution stream (lower bitrate; less info).

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 23, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This could also be due to chroma sampling conversion. Though it's hard to give a blanket recommendation on how to resolve.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

BonoMan posted:

There might be some issues with The Green Knight's transfers at the moment.

I watched the A24 stream (from their Screening Room app) and it was a poo poo 1080p stream with heavy banding in the dark scenes.

Then there are numerous complaints on the Amazon reviews (from the Prime Video stream) saying it's way too dark.

But I don't remember the movie being dark at all. So I'm thinking the non A24 stream (even though it was low-ish quality) has a brightness/HDR error somewhere in it.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by the A24 stream with my LG OLED 77. I paid $20 and got a shittier stream than what I got from other sources (4K+Dolby Atmos).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Samsung 65" QLED $989 shipped with code

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 23, 2021

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

pumpinglemma posted:

I'd like good picture quality (OLED/QLED)

Every time I see this, it hurts how well stupid advertising tactics work.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AFewBricksShy posted:

I've also noticed it with my ps5 while playing ac valhalla during the loading screens
I've noticed it in other games and even poo poo like the Hulu app. I think a lot of poo poo banks on the sets not being that detailed with picture info.

What's also wild is that I've noticed that RDR2/Cyberpunk have these little contrast tricks around the reticule/pop up info where they drop a shadow-mask that's noticeable on the OLED.

Played all of RDR2 with a mostly transparent box around my aiming dot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KS posted:

Every time I see this, it hurts how well stupid advertising tactics work.

I also like how the tail of the Q hides itself in the underline when it's mentioned in a link, like the post above yours

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Is it Costco that if you use a certain credit card you get more warranty stacked on?

What if you pay half in cash and the other half on the card... Do you still get the warranty?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Maybe your thinking of AMEX generally? I think they include some extra coverage like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Amex changed that actually. I think they're gold or platinum cards may still have extended warranty but their regular cards don't have that benefit anymore. My capital one quicksilver has the warranty extension. It maybe a visa signature benefit though.

Edit: googled and found this page which list which Amex cards have it.
https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/credit-cards/amex-extended-warranty-guide.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 28, 2021