Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

For those that don't know here's what a hurdy gurdy is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvpXr9O0J4

Usually they are more used in folk music this one was just fun.

Wow, I always imagine a wizened little Italian guy playing it on the street (not quite so vigorously.) They don't look rugged enough to handle that kind of playing for many years. Thank you, Hurdy-Gurdy Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I guess you should post in the bowed instruments thread????

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ColdPie posted:

I guess you should post in the bowed instruments thread????

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Since I mean, gurdies are good enough to deserve their own thread, sure, but then it'd just end up being me in an empty thread, I'm sure of it. I'll be like that little girl in the Simpsons, who's stuck in an empty gymnasium while calling out for Mrs. Pommelhorse

But...I'll have to come up with some clever diaguise for the wheel, to make everyone think it's a bow, else I'll probably be kicked out of the bowed instrument thread by an angry mob! :D Definitely my best bet though - especially for getting sheet music if I need some, and feedback

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Whatever happened to the old "Learn a weird Musical Instrument for Summer!" thread? I think it was in A/T maybe? That's where I first saw hurdy gurdies, hopi/pan hand drums, tin whistles, toy accordions, dulcimers, cajons, and discussion of the best book to get for learning mandolin. It was a great catch all thread for weird instruments.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It petered out and then TTFA got banned for staggeringly bad posting in a Trump thread.

But the sins of our OPs aside, the thread was good: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415486

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

My first 8 string, headless, and multi scale guitar. I'm trying to dive back into playing again now that I'm back in my own space. I could've waited for a "nicer" instrument from Rondo, but spending $1k when I could spend a bit more for something with a bit more pedigree is a bitter pill. Can't argue with $700 shipped.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
So, what’s your existential crisis look like

Good sounds = a good life? I’m gonna bank on that.

Plus they’re color coordinated.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

So, what’s your existential crisis look like

Good sounds = a good life? I’m gonna bank on that.

Plus they’re color coordinated.

Holy moly nice job on the SRE-555. What is the 4 channel mixer below it?

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

a loathsome bird posted:

Holy moly nice job on the SRE-555. What is the 4 channel mixer below it?

It’s a portable National Microphone Mixer that’s a biggg pain in the rear end to find, I’ve seen a grand total of 3 online in the last 5 years. You could technically use it for its intended purpose of mixing mic signals , but the reason it’s ridiculously cool is the way it distorts when you crank the signal - just a gnarly, angry beast, total one trick pony but it does that one thing very well. Four channels, one knob per channel, one master knob. That’s it. Put it on a snare out of a drum machine and instant industrial gritty beats.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

On today's episode of poor impulse control:

Yamaha LS26

Specs:

Made in Japan
Engelmann Spruce top, artificially aged (Similar to what Martin and Taylor do to simulate vintage 80 year old tops)
Solid rosewood back and sides
5 ply mahogany and rosewood neck
Ebony fretboard and bridge

The reason why I got this was because I learned from my GS mini that I wanted a proper solid body rosewood guitar. I was sucked in by the tuners and proper neck size. The GS mini is great, but the neck is definitely cramped.

I'm in 2 minds about the value of it. Compared to a similar Martin or Taylor, solid Rosewood and artificially aged tops are mega $$$$. So in that sense, the Yamaha is extremely good value.

However... Yamaha also makes the LS16, which is almost exactly the same as the 26, but has slightly simpler tuners, but has the same aged Engelmann top, and solid rosewood back and sides. It even has electronic pickups (which the 26 does not) and more perloid inlays than the 26. It is made in Asia, and can be had for under 1000 AUD. For a solid rosewood body guitar, that is incredible value, and based on the LL16 I tried, amazing quality and great sound. In fact it's probably going to be my "first acoustic" recommendation to people. I still stand by the Taylor academy 12 for first guitar, but for someone who already plays but wants an acoustic, it's amazing.

So I got a great deal compared to a Taylor/Martin, but grossly overpaid compared to a LS16.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

That is loving gorgeous. I have a basic bitch Yamaha FG beginner acoustic, because I focused on electric, but now I'm branching out and I really want to get a nice acoustic. And I adore the feel of Yamaha's. So I'm thinking an LS16 or a Taylor of some kind.

But gently caress me if that Yamaha doesn't sway me. I love the smaller body and it looks gorgeous. Big fan of it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

That is loving gorgeous. I have a basic bitch Yamaha FG beginner acoustic, because I focused on electric, but now I'm branching out and I really want to get a nice acoustic. And I adore the feel of Yamaha's. So I'm thinking an LS16 or a Taylor of some kind.

But gently caress me if that Yamaha doesn't sway me. I love the smaller body and it looks gorgeous. Big fan of it.

I played an LL16 which is the LS16s bigger brother and it was great. I terms of raw stats, the Yamaha will be better value at the same price point to a Taylor. The LS16 is solid rosewood back and sides, and has an artificially aged top to make it sound like a much older guitar out of the box. Depends where you are, but where I am the equivalent priced Taylor is a GS mini. Which is a fine guitar, but has laminate back and sides, and is much more limited by it's size and construction. Taylor makes excellent guitars, but in my opinion their best quality/sounding guitars start with the 3 series, which is much more expensive (like, 3x more expensive) than an LS16. That said, acoustics are organic, and sometimes, on the day, one will be markedly better than the other, price be damned. Just luck of the wood. But if you gave me $1000 AUD and said I could buy any acoustic, but I wasn't allowed to try it first, I'd get the LS16. If you have the chance, try a bunch of Taylors. Try a bunch of Martins. If your budget stretches to a 3 series Taylor, you won't be disappointed. But you may well find yourself getting an LS16 anyway. Or an LS26 like mine if you've already decided to spend 3 series money.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Taylor 324ce. It's amazing. Beautiful to look at and play. Fell in love with the sound and never thought I'd have a sweeter guitar. But it's still a factory production line guitar. My LS26 was about the same price, and was hand made by one employee at Yamaha. I think I might even believe it's a better guitar in sound and playability, which I never thought I'd say. I was certain the Taylor was likely to be the best guitar I ever owned, but it might end up being the Yamaha.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don’t know much about guitars but if I can see my reflection in it I would be afraid to touch it.

So pretty.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Its polyurethane coated so it takes a bit of effort to scratch up. :yayclod:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Just bought a bomb rear end case for my PRS:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The new Bogner amps have made me hate the swirly embossed leather/tolex look but goddamn if that doesn't change my mind. That is one sweet rear end case.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

gregday posted:

Oooooo that’s gorgeous

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Got a second Hercules 5 guitar rack and added two extra neck yokes. Currently holding 7 Teles. Two more yokes on order since there is space to fit 9 and there are two more Teles to put onto it.

Rack #1 currently holds 3 SGs, an Epi Olympic, two Epi Coronets, and 3 Epi Wilshires. There's two more Coronets, but one is being sold and the other needs work, so no rack time for them.

Realistically, you'll only fit 9 if they're thinner bodies. Add a Les Paul and you're losing a spot, add an acoustic and you lost two.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

gregday posted:

Gorgeous

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

gregday posted:

How does it smell. Bet it smells nice

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

widefault posted:

Got a second Hercules 5 guitar rack and added two extra neck yokes. Currently holding 7 Teles. Two more yokes on order since there is space to fit 9 and there are two more Teles to put onto it.

Rack #1 currently holds 3 SGs, an Epi Olympic, two Epi Coronets, and 3 Epi Wilshires. There's two more Coronets, but one is being sold and the other needs work, so no rack time for them.

Realistically, you'll only fit 9 if they're thinner bodies. Add a Les Paul and you're losing a spot, add an acoustic and you lost two.

Looks like you need one for your Strats too. I'll have to consider something similar with how many I've amassed too. I swear selling off my expensive guitars and buying a herd of less expensive ones was one of the best decisions I've made.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Comedy post:

It's beat to hell but it was cheap and I was able to get it to working after some aggressive cleaning. Maybe I'll accidentally learn something about synths by pushing buttons in this.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Are all these your guitars?

Turbinosamente posted:

Comedy post:

It's beat to hell but it was cheap and I was able to get it to working after some aggressive cleaning. Maybe I'll accidentally learn something about synths by pushing buttons in this.

Yeah, I want to do this too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Constipated posted:

How does it smell. Bet it smells nice

one of my cases still smells exactly like the guitar store is came from in 2006

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

nitsuga posted:

I swear selling off my expensive guitars and buying a herd of less expensive ones was one of the best decisions I've made.

That's interesting, I've been thinking I need to do the exact opposite. I have a half dozen old/cheap/crappy Fireflys and 90s Squiers lying around that I never play and if I sold them all I could probably get another pretty nice guitar that I'd actually play. And I've also been thinking about selling a bunch of pedals and getting an AxeFX. I wonder if we're all damned to this weird cycle of gear minimalism/maximalism.

I had this on DS and it's great. It was one of my first experiences with "patching" a synth and sequencing instead of just synths with knobs and switches. If you get into it, definitely check out VCV Rack.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There’s a Korg Gadget app for switch that’s supposed to be pretty cool too. It includes sequencers and a rudimentary DAW too

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lawen posted:

That's interesting, I've been thinking I need to do the exact opposite. I have a half dozen old/cheap/crappy Fireflys and 90s Squiers lying around that I never play and if I sold them all I could probably get another pretty nice guitar that I'd actually play. And I've also been thinking about selling a bunch of pedals and getting an AxeFX. I wonder if we're all damned to this weird cycle of gear minimalism/maximalism.

I had this on DS and it's great. It was one of my first experiences with "patching" a synth and sequencing instead of just synths with knobs and switches. If you get into it, definitely check out VCV Rack.

As far as I can tell in the few minutes I've had to dork with it it gives you all the options for interfacing with it, from knobs, to patch cords, to keyboards, to the Kaosillator touch pad, to the sequencer itself. Haven't looked up the manual for it so I've been poking blindly at it, but it already starting to make sense layout wise.

At the moment I've been in the minimalist mode myself, but that doesn't stop the GAS I have for something in miami blue from Fender, but what would I get? I'm not too into teles, I've already got an adequate strat, same for a jazz bass, I don't think they make the precision bass left handed in the color, and have no desire for a jazzmaster. I'm planning on having some overtime coming up, so I'll worry more about it if/when I have the cash for one.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There’s a Korg Gadget app for switch that’s supposed to be pretty cool too. It includes sequencers and a rudimentary DAW too

Oooh I'll have to check this one out too, thanks!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lawen posted:

I'm pretty sure that is exactly it. I will accept it for what it is though, as I sold a Music Man Stingray and was able to get two G&Ls (a Tribute Legacy and a Doheny) as well as a Squier Starcaster. They were all pretty good deals, so that helped. If it makes you feel any better, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm trying to find my balance in this life is how I look at it.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

nitsuga posted:

Looks like you need one for your Strats too. I'll have to consider something similar with how many I've amassed too. I swear selling off my expensive guitars and buying a herd of less expensive ones was one of the best decisions I've made.

Kind of the plan, although the Strats in the back are currently on the chopping block and are back there to keep them out of the way as I try to clean up.

petit choux posted:

Are all these your guitars?

Yep, a fraction of my monument to GAS.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would love a plugin that could just put DS-10 straight into my DAW. I had so much fun with that thing back in the day; it's 100x more intuitive for my dumb brain than any other software synth I've found.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lester Shy posted:

I would love a plugin that could just put DS-10 straight into my DAW. I had so much fun with that thing back in the day; it's 100x more intuitive for my dumb brain than any other software synth I've found.

My stupid plan if I make anything worth exporting is to take a male/male 3.5 aux cable and go from the headphone port of the ds to the mic in on my computer and use some program on the computer to record it, whether it's a DAW or not. Can't directly manipulate the parts any more but at least its a file in a more handy location? Not a clue how this would work out in practice though quality wise.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

I wonder if there’s some way to rig up a DS emulator to work this way

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gregday posted:

Mind if I ask who makes that?

gregday
May 23, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Mind if I ask who makes that?

It’s first party: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CT19SC7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z0E05TPG5ZB5GBQ6DZEX

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That’s a beautiful guitar case

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

My stupid plan if I make anything worth exporting is to take a male/male 3.5 aux cable and go from the headphone port of the ds to the mic in on my computer and use some program on the computer to record it, whether it's a DAW or not. Can't directly manipulate the parts any more but at least its a file in a more handy location? Not a clue how this would work out in practice though quality wise.

IMO, get one of those Behringer $20 USB sound cards that people mention around here now and then. They only record to 44.41 or whatever it is, which is the same as audio CDs, but that's usually quite enough. You'd then need to split the headphone cord to two RCAs but those are cheap.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Hamfisted some Fishman Fluence Transcendence into my RGA121H, I definitely needed professional help to get them in, but I'm stubborn. They sound incredible. Never had a guitar with active pickups before!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this can strictly be called an "instrument" but i got this KORG KR Mini today. I wanted some kind of drum machine to hook into my Casio WK7600 so I can jam out more easily. The Casio can do accompaniments, but the drums kind of suck and for some reason it won't let you use the effects on the drum sounds. Also there is a universal "tempo" setting that adjusts the accompaniment as well as the arpeggiator at the same time. This is annoying, I want to have different tempos for these. The WK7600 has an external input though, and you can use the effects with it.

Thats why I got this super simple drum machine. It was either this or one of those Teenage Engineering things. Those were obviously more powerful than this KORG mini, but I just absolutely hate the exposed circuit board form factor. This thing is a nice solid box! Though KORG are cheap bastards they didn't even include a power adapter :argh:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
The KR minis sound great. I have a Pocket Operator drum machine and the form factor is indeed annoying, mostly because the control surfaces are so small. The 3.5mm output is also not ideal. Nice sounds though and good for sampling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

So the PRS case photos were actually from the seller. Mine just arrived so here it is with my CE24, which also counts as a recent purchase being less than a month old.