Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
When you are a latin american fascist, self hate is pretty much given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
That article you linked shows the interesting connections being built between the American far-right, Vox, and the Latam far-right:

quote:

Na quinta-feira (26), o deputado federal Eduardo Bolsonaro (PSL-SP), hoje a principal voz do governo do pai na área externa, participou de um debate online promovido pela Fundación Disenso, recém-criada pelo Vox.

Estiveram presentes no webinário o líder do partido espanhol, Santiago Abascal, que é também deputado federal, a líder oposicionista venezuelana Maria Corina Machado e Arturo Murillo, que foi ministro no governo de Jeanine Añez, presidente boliviana que sucedeu Evo Morales no fim do ano passado.

Em dezembro de 2018, ele organizou a Cúpula Conservadora das Américas, em Foz do Iguaçu (PR), mas uma segunda edição nunca saiu do papel.

Também fez contatos com Steve Bannon, ex-guru de Donald Trump, que estava organizando uma entidade supranacional, chamada de "Movimento". A iniciativa naufragou e não se fala mais dela.

Em outubro de 2019, ele ajudou a organizar uma versão brasileira da Cpac, principal conferência conservadora americana. Uma segunda edição foi cancelada por causa da pandemia, e talvez ocorra no ano que vem.

Basically we got members of Jeanine Añez's government and the Venezuelan opposition organizing meetings and conferences with Vox, Bolsonaro, and Steve Bannon. I suppose it would have been bad PR to meet in the secret volcano lair.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Haiti cannot catch a break:

quote:

(CNN)The US Geological Survey said it's likely that casualties are "high" after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck near Haiti Saturday morning.

"High casualties are probable and the disaster is likely widespread," according to the USGS.

Haiti's Civil Protection told CNN there have been fatalities and damage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/08/14/world/haiti-earthquake/index.html

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

this one hit almost a mile away from PaP, somewhere near petit trou de nippes, and was much shallower. it will be nowhere near the grand catastrophe of 2010.

normally you could say of this incident that it is happening at a really bad time, with the fallout of the jovenel moise assassination and transition issues leaving the country in poor condition to respond to the disaster. but unfortunately, haiti is never not in a bad position to deal with this kind of crisis and the best output right now is to try to get international humanitarian campaigns running immediately

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I've even heard some people suggest abandoning the country altogether, although then that just leaves you with a humanitarian crisis of a different kind.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

no hay camino posted:

I've even heard some people suggest abandoning the country altogether, although then that just leaves you with a humanitarian crisis of a different kind.

Where do they mean, going to DR?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

Where do they mean, going to DR?

France (or other Francophone areas).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Dan_Beeton/stat...ingawful.com%2F

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Do you think Human Rights Watch will still consider Jenine Anez a political prisoner?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nucleic Acids posted:

Do you think Human Rights Watch will still consider Jenine Anez a political prisoner?

I see where HRW question the charge of "terrorism" against her but where are they saying she's a political prisoner? The abundance of evidence of murder and conspiracy, ordering the police to attack protesters, etc. will hopefully see the coup leaders punished anyhow but I don't know the definition of "terrorism" in Bolivian law.

Ironically it seems the coup charged Morales with "terrorism" so this may just be tit-for-tat posturing?

Off to Google the Bolivian legal code in the interim.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

I see where HRW question the charge of "terrorism" against her but where are they saying she's a political prisoner? The abundance of evidence of murder and conspiracy, ordering the police to attack protesters, etc. will hopefully see the coup leaders punished anyhow but I don't know the definition of "terrorism" in Bolivian law.

Ironically it seems the coup charged Morales with "terrorism" so this may just be tit-for-tat posturing?

Off to Google the Bolivian legal code in the interim.

She lead a coup that tortured political opponents and genocided protestors, if anything deserves a terrorism charge that does.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 18, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nucleic Acids posted:

She lead a coup that tortured political opponents and genocided protestors, if anything deserves a terrorism charge that does.

Section 133 of the Bolivian penal code is apparently where "terrorism" is defined. From your response, neither of us know what it says... It's not like they have a lack of things to charge her with that hopefully see her rot in jail for the rest of her life.

Again, where did HRW call Añez a political prisoner? Anyone? Twitter? I can't find a source in Google. I wouldn't put it past them, but maybe someone claiming they did can provide a source?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Okay so:

http://www.oas.org/juridico/spanish/gapeca_sp_docs_bol1.pdf

Art. 133°.- (TERRORISMO). El que formare parte, actuare al servicio o colaborare con
una organización armada destinada a cometer delitos contra la seguridad común, la vida,
la integridad corporal, la libertad de locomoción o la propiedad, con la finalidad de
subvertir el orden constitucional o mantener en estado de zozobra, alarma o pánico
colectivo a la población o a un sector de ella, será sancionado con presidio de quince a
veinte años, sin perjuicio de la pena que le corresponda si se cometieren tales delitos
-----
Google:
Art. 133 ° .- (TERRORISM). The one who will be part of, act at the service or collaborate with
an armed organization destined to commit crimes against the common security, life,
bodily integrity, freedom of movement or property, for the purpose of
subvert the constitutional order or keep in a state of anxiety, alarm or panic
collective to the population or a sector of it, will be sanctioned with imprisonment of fifteen to
twenty years, without prejudice to the penalty that corresponds to him if such crimes are committed
-----

Actually I think the coup sounds *exactly* like armed force used against common security and with the intent to subvert to constitutional order.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

Rust Martialis posted:

Section 133 of the Bolivian penal code is apparently where "terrorism" is defined. From your response, neither of us know what it says... It's not like they have a lack of things to charge her with that hopefully see her rot in jail for the rest of her life.

Again, where did HRW call Añez a political prisoner? Anyone? Twitter? I can't find a source in Google. I wouldn't put it past them, but maybe someone claiming they did can provide a source?

They drew a comparison between the coup's persecution of MAS and the consequences for launching the coup, and called for Anez's release along with her fellow conspirators. https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/03/22/bolivia-should-end-revenge-justice

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
AMLO seems good with this.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

AMLO seems good with this.

Sounds like the dream, but good luck making something that's not just the new OAS.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/MundoEConflicto/status/1429114904464740354?s=20

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

no hay camino posted:

France (or other Francophone areas).

wife said "they should abandon it to move to miami, create an independent province, and box the fresh & fit podcast guys daily till they cry" and i kind of don't disagree this is an effective nation building plan

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Just for courtesy can posters at least give the gist of links in English itt? Not everyone reading has necessarily any grounding in Spanish or even knows where to look. (and given what mainstream news and search engines are like when it comes to Latin America...)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If you click the tweet and bring it up on Twitter, there's a translate tweet button

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just for courtesy can posters at least give the gist of links in English itt? Not everyone reading has necessarily any grounding in Spanish or even knows where to look. (and given what mainstream news and search engines are like when it comes to Latin America...)

Añez tried to Epstein herself in prison.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something like: "ex de facto leader of Bolivia attempted suicide in prison"

I assume "El Deber" is a newspaper

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Apparently Añez was just charged with 'genocide' for being in charge during the massacre of 22 protesters after Morales left. But since she was president Congress has to approve charges by a 2/3 majority and MAS lacks the votes.

Without digging further I assume this is why she was charged previously with crimes specifically taking place *before* being sworn in as president?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thanks. Interesting.

It takes some real brainworms to coup a country, massacre protestors, and then not even flee when the government you ousted is voted back into power.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thanks. Interesting.

It takes some real brainworms to coup a country, massacre protestors, and then not even flee when the government you ousted is voted back into power.

The government and the people stopped her from fleeing

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

punk rebel ecks posted:

The government and the people stopped her from fleeing

I mean, sure, but the elections were in October and she wasn't prevented from leaving until sometime in late November. She could almost certainly have made it out if she took off sooner, but she got lazy and waited.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Honestly it seemed like there was a segment of the coupers that were basically convincing themselves they were going to manage to re-coup.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

reignonyourparade posted:

Honestly it seemed like there was a segment of the coupers that were basically convincing themselves they were going to manage to re-coup.

Oh, Anon de Q.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Qañón

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They're called useful idiots for a reason.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It wasn't an unfounded hope, it's just that the international coalition they assembled for a second coup was just not strong enough against a much more united opposition that had been galvanized by a year of organizing.

And unlike the feckless democrats, they are taking the aftermath very very seriously, these fascists aren't going to get to pull out the same bag of tricke next election. Because MAS aren't controlled opposition for the business class the same way the democrats are.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I heard Boslanaro will attempt to overthrow the Brazilian government on the September 7th from a concerned friend in Brazil. Is that true?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Covok posted:

I heard Boslanaro will attempt to overthrow the Brazilian government on the September 7th from a concerned friend in Brazil. Is that true?

the only real reason i can credit is that bolsonaro is increasingly beleaguered by the system and, being your average fascist dipshit, this is the part where they feel institutionally cornered and start trying to cash in the ground they hope they have made in various autocratic attempts* and seeing if it can translate to institutional overthrow if they go on the offensive

*as generally defined by Masha Gessen in their conversations/writings on stages of autocratic takeover of republics

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Staluigi posted:

*as generally defined by Masha Gessen in their conversations/writings on stages of autocratic takeover of republics

Wait what, provide examples of said writings please.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

So both of you are just going to leave QAñez lying on the table?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

So both of you are just going to leave QAñez lying on the table?

Depends if she actually commits suicide or not, I suppose.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/23/bolivia-jeanine-anez-stable-after-suicide-attempt-in-jail

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What's a good news source for English language articles about Venezuela?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gripweed posted:

:can:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I don't know about news media but in regards to video essays about Latin America I can't recommend BadEmpanada enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

no hay camino posted:

I don't know about news media but in regards to video essays about Latin America I can't recommend BadEmpanada enough.

Thanks but I'm looking for like a newspaper