Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I been tuggin pumpin liftin pretty hardcore for 3 months or so and have been pretty happy with my gains.

I am now counting calories hardcore (~1750/day target gonna try and do it for 60 days and see what happens), what should I expect? Maybe some little baby gains still? To have to fight like hell not to lose strength? To lose a lot of strength?

I figure if I was super jacked I'd lose a ton of strength over the next 60 days or so but since I'm still a noob maybe it won't be that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one knows when it comes to newbies

People new to lifting can gain muscle almost no matter what they do, but usually only up to a certain point

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

I been tuggin pumpin liftin pretty hardcore for 3 months or so and have been pretty happy with my gains.

I am now counting calories hardcore (~1750/day target gonna try and do it for 60 days and see what happens), what should I expect? Maybe some little baby gains still? To have to fight like hell not to lose strength? To lose a lot of strength?

I figure if I was super jacked I'd lose a ton of strength over the next 60 days or so but since I'm still a noob maybe it won't be that bad.

Are you obese or just a bit overweight?
The main thing you will probably notice is just lower energy (motivation) during training and maybe feeling more fatigue. But I wouldn't expect to you losing strength or losing muscle.
Chances are, you will probably still put on muscle (just a bit slower) and be able to get stronger due to becoming more proficient with the lifts itself.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've been on a 1k deficit for 5 months and started lifting from being completely sedentary my whole life about 3 months ago. On days/weeks where I eat at maintenance or overeat by accident, I do way better in the gym. That may be all in my head though. Either way, I'm still making pretty consistent progress on Greyskull LP. Things are starting to slow down, but I imagine that's just from hitting the end of the LP.

Maybe I could go longer on the LP if I was bulking during it, but I imagine that when I'm done dieting in a year and start hypertrophy training to fill out loose skin, I'll probably make those gains then. Basically I don't feel like I'm permanently missing out on anything.

As far as muscle loss, research shows three things.
First, resistance training preserves muscle extremely well during a cut.
Second, any muscle lost will probably come right back. Your body kinda remembers how much muscle it had and it becomes easier to regain it.
Third, if you're new you can build muscle in a cut. It's probably not a ton and most strength gains are just CNS improvements. I have no facts on this but my guess is it's probably because resistance training is a totally new stressor on the body so it feels like it has to adapt way more intensely to it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Jinh posted:

Second, any muscle lost will probably come right back. Your body kinda remembers how much muscle it had and it becomes easier to regain it.

To build up on this, a lot of studies that say you lose muscle on a cut use lean mass % to determine how much was lost. Thats all fine and dandy until you realize that lean mass also includes organs and skin and poo poo. So really, the only time when you can really worry about losing noticeable muscle mass is probably when you are getting stage ready shredded for a bodybuilding comp.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Didn't Thrall lose like 30+ pounds of mass but only like a pound and a half of lean mass? He's about as strong as he's ever been, too.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
1750 calories seems like quite a steep deficit to jump into, how much did you typically eat before all of this?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just make sure you're sleeping & doing recovery stuff that you like (stretching/yoga/massage/cold/warm therapy/whatever the gently caress makes your brain feel good) if you're gonna push on a cut

No use in fighting multiple front wars at the same time. If you're not sleeping you're hosed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've always heard to prioritize protein calories during a cut to ensure that you minimize muscle loss, or at least retain the possibility of gaining muscle. Focus on meeting your protein goal every day and cut calories from carbs and fat.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Omnikin posted:

Just make sure you're sleeping & doing recovery stuff that you like (stretching/yoga/massage/cold/warm therapy/whatever the gently caress makes your brain feel good) if you're gonna push on a cut

No use in fighting multiple front wars at the same time. If you're not sleeping you're hosed

Yeah 100%
Sleep is absolutely necessary, you need that recovery

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've always heard to prioritize protein calories during a cut to ensure that you minimize muscle loss, or at least retain the possibility of gaining muscle. Focus on meeting your protein goal every day and cut calories from carbs and fat.

And yup.
Side note, I heard this on the barbell medicine podcast the other day and it's a neat trick: If you're really overweight, use your height in cm to determine how many grams per day you need, no reason to eat like 300g/day if you're a fat bastard like me, it's just a waste of money. The cm to grams thing scales pretty well for a rough estimate. I'm 5'10 so about 177 grams of protein a day. That's about 45% of my total daily calories on 1600 a day.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Concatenation posted:

1750 calories seems like quite a steep deficit to jump into, how much did you typically eat before all of this?

Only the chinese buffet knows for sure.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'd guess 3500ish.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Only the chinese buffet knows for sure.

man I was way overdue for a chinese buffet visit pre-COVID and sure as poo poo haven't been back since. I'm gonna plan an entire bulking cycle (lol if I ever can lose weight) around weekly buffet visits

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Helios Grime posted:

Are you obese or just a bit overweight?
The main thing you will probably notice is just lower energy (motivation) during training and maybe feeling more fatigue. But I wouldn't expect to you losing strength or losing muscle.
Chances are, you will probably still put on muscle (just a bit slower) and be able to get stronger due to becoming more proficient with the lifts itself.

I'm NFL O-line size in both height and weight if the O-lineman retired from the NFL and started a career of eating cheesy mashed potatoes.

I'm on day 5. Going alright so far. Definitely feel a bit low energy but still been doing my normal workouts.

1750 isn't super strict either, yesterday I was 2100, day before was 1773, day before that was 2049. Maybe target 2,000 is closer.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Omnikin posted:

man I was way overdue for a chinese buffet visit pre-COVID and sure as poo poo haven't been back since. I'm gonna plan an entire bulking cycle (lol if I ever can lose weight) around weekly buffet visits

Yeah I miss it. There's this little one near me that was small but good quality. Not 4 huge buffet lines of poo poo like a lot of chinese buffets but 1 counter of stuff that's actually good.

That's one of the things that kinda bummed me out, I started working from home and quit going to that place every other week and quit going to burger king for lunch twice a week or whatever and started going for walks and riding my exercise bike pretty regular and I didn't really lose much weight. I didn't gain like a lot of people, but didn't lose much either.

Started lifting weights, lost a little more, definitely have traded some fat for muscle, but still not really the progress I was looking.

So now doing what I really knew all along I needed to do but was pretending I could avoid: counting calories.

Also added 30 minutes of cardio every day.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

<2k is super low if you're a big dude, lifting multiple times a week, and get any type of cardio and will likely catch up to you even if you feel fine now. I've done 1k deficits and lost ~2 lbs a week for decent stretches but even that was like 2500 given my size and activity level.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah, might be a little extreme. Maybe do it for a week or two to get a jump start and then ease off a bit?

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

if you do get super low energy and lethargic and can't get through your day, definitely up the calories by a couple hundred

But also, if it works great and you make progress, then just keep doing it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I also do 15 minutes a day of Iron Neck.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

RP actually just put up two videos that are pretty relevant to counting calories while lifting (plus lots of their older dieting videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88z36xmf42Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aChRmrU6C1c

e: maybe this one is the most direct response to your question though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QpjX2K-JY0

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is this what all you kettlebell maniacs do all day?

https://i.imgur.com/khiVqNe.mp4

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

yes but without that harness.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Pee is stored in the kettlebell.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is this what all you kettlebell maniacs do all day?

https://i.imgur.com/khiVqNe.mp4

Finally, a functional way to train carrying my huge dick n balls around

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Finally, a functional way to train carrying my huge dick n balls around

That is his dick and balls now, it’s a cyborg implant, he’s a cyborg. :tinfoil:

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

My latest workout: bodybuilding style isolation exercises, hitting each and every body part that I know of. Super long sets, super low weight, moving each rep super slowly, pausing at the top, pausing at the bottom, and never going to failure. Like, I'll hop on the machine bicep curl, put it at 15 lbs, and move that thing slowly back and forth for 2 and a half minutes straight while listening to a history podcast on my headphones.

And it's been great! I have muscles bulging out of everywhere and I think I'm stronger too. Maybe it's just working so well because it's so different from what I've always done in the past, but whatever it is, I'm going to stick with it for 3 months or so and see it I keep making progress.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Stealth Tiger posted:

My latest workout: bodybuilding style isolation exercises, hitting each and every body part that I know of. Super long sets, super low weight, moving each rep super slowly, pausing at the top, pausing at the bottom, and never going to failure. Like, I'll hop on the machine bicep curl, put it at 15 lbs, and move that thing slowly back and forth for 2 and a half minutes straight while listening to a history podcast on my headphones.

And it's been great! I have muscles bulging out of everywhere and I think I'm stronger too. Maybe it's just working so well because it's so different from what I've always done in the past, but whatever it is, I'm going to stick with it for 3 months or so and see it I keep making progress.

Hell yeah! I'm a slowbro myself. Ratcheted back the resistance and have been focusing on getting good form, doing sets of 8-12 reps. Definitely good for a pump, and I spend more time at the gym as a result. Good luck with your progress!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm planning to start learning how to power snatch for real next week.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I do all my lifts like I'm jerkin off dicks and getting paid per liter of jizz. Just fuckin frantic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I moved a shop full of machine equipment with a forklift but a significant portion of that meant lifting and shoving 2000-lb-plus tools around by hand last week

My arms have never felt like this and they don’t feel like they’re recovering

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I do all my lifts like I'm jerkin off dicks and getting paid per liter of jizz. Just fuckin frantic.

That one Silicon Valley scene where they try to calculate how to most efficiently jerk off a room full of dudes.

E:

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 23, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Week one in the books. Adjusted my target to 2000-2250. Lost 9.4 pounds but I know a good chunk of that was water. Will be interesting to see what happens week two.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Week one in the books. Adjusted my target to 2000-2250. Lost 9.4 pounds but I know a good chunk of that was water. Will be interesting to see what happens week two.

Good LORD, that's a lot of weight for one week!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

Good LORD, that's a lot of weight for one week!

It's pretty feasible. Especially if there was a drop in carb intake. If it doesn't flatten out within a few weeks then that's probably too much a deficit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I think it's gonna flatten out a lot. I'm guessing this week will be like 4 pounds.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

any time I've tried to cut the first week was somewhere between 8 and 10 lbs. Then maybe 5 the next week then normal 1-2 until I give up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Does DEET give you cancer? 'cause I've been spraying myself down with some 25% DEET, Off! Deep Woods before every workout in an attempt to keep these mosquitos at bay.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you think about it cancer is just cell gains.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Click here for batterypowerd7’s secret to massive, cellular level gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got some scratches on one of my bars does anyone know if they will repair this under warranty can I send it somewhere and have it recoated