Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

phosdex posted:

Probably just go with Youtube TV then.

I did that last year. It was good, and the cloud DVR was nice. Watched some other DVR'd movies on it. Cancelled after NFL season.

Youtube TV is in a dispute with Roku right now so I might just do Hulu instead this NFL season and watch some other shows there. We had Hulu last year but didn't see a need to keep it year-round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

You can still use YoutubeTV on roku. They just shifted everything over to the Youtube channel after roku removed new users from downloading the channel.

Since then, they have just been staring at each other since nothing has changed.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Looks like my place is also eligible to get the NFL Sunday Ticket streaming package, though with Redzone thats $99/mo.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Sling is still the least expensive way to get RedZone correct? Sling Orange or Blue plus the sports addon for a total $46 a month.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Burden posted:

Sling is still the least expensive way to get RedZone correct? Sling Orange or Blue plus the sports addon for a total $46 a month.

That's how I do it, yeah. I usually split the cost with a friend in my fantasy league.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I buy NFL Gamepass International with a VPN and cast it to my TV. You can even drop the VPN connection after the game starts.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So my dog really likes watching tv. It keeps her calm and distracted from OUTSIDE NOISE anxiety and whatnot. We're about to switch over from cable to an apple tv 4th gen in the room she usually hangs out in. I'm drawing a blank on good free apps that can just sit running live 24/7 other than pluto tv. Pluto is a perfect option sure but seems to have some weeks where it likes to freeze/hang on so alternatives are handy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If I just want some background noise and video on my AppleTV I usually throw on EarthcamTV which shows a rotating list of random webcams from around the globe. They have a featured feed that rotates cams every few minutes and plays along some music. You can also browse and pick a webcam to view. They have stuff like nature locations, puppy cams, cityscapes, it's kinda neat to just pop on and surf around.

https://www.earthcamtv.com/
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/earthcamtv/id1051900381

It has a free preview where it will allow you to stream a cam for about a minute and then dump you back to the menu. You can unlock the unlimited stream for a paltry $5/year.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 9, 2021

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Why not just an OTA antenna and put it on whatever random channel? If you're not out in the sticks like I am, a cheap $15 flat antenna should get you some sort of channels. Unless your dog has specific tastes in TV.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve already got the Apple TV so it’s cheaper this way. That’s a solid idea though for sure. Can you get weird random stuff through those? I’d love to grab one just to find some strange local stations but I’m not sure if that’s even a thing.

She’s can be p picky. I think she likes cartoons the most.

FCKGW posted:

If I just want some background noise and video on my AppleTV I usually throw on EarthcamTV which shows a rotating list of random webcams from around the globe. They have a featured feed that rotates cams every few minutes and plays along some music. You can also browse and pick a webcam to view. They have stuff like nature locations, puppy cams, cityscapes, it's kinda neat to just pop on and surf around.

https://www.earthcamtv.com/
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/earthcamtv/id1051900381

It has a free preview where it will allow you to stream a cam for about a minute and then dump you back to the menu. You can unlock the unlimited stream for a paltry $5/year.

That’s a great idea. I hate adding more subscriptions but 5/year is nothing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PitViper posted:

Why not just an OTA antenna and put it on whatever random channel? If you're not out in the sticks like I am, a cheap $15 flat antenna should get you some sort of channels. Unless your dog has specific tastes in TV.

I don't know about dogs but my cat only cares about cat TV and not people TV. We just use those 10 hour YouTube videos of, well, cat TV.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

So my dog really likes watching tv. It keeps her calm and distracted from OUTSIDE NOISE anxiety and whatnot. We're about to switch over from cable to an apple tv 4th gen in the room she usually hangs out in. I'm drawing a blank on good free apps that can just sit running live 24/7 other than pluto tv. Pluto is a perfect option sure but seems to have some weeks where it likes to freeze/hang on so alternatives are handy.

If your TV has access to IPTV channels there's ones for pet entertainment.

I'd say Locast for local stuff but it'll time out after a bit and ask if you're still watching.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there any “8K” content out there? Or is this just an upscale item?

Edit: Just checked Amazon. 65 in is $2,200 and 75 in is $3,000

https://blog.roku.com/8k-roku-tv?ut...82ziQ3fWpCJdLPU

quote:

The first model of the highly anticipated 8K Roku TV™ is now available! Roku and TCL recently announced that for the first time ever, an 8K Roku TV will join the critically acclaimed TCL 6-Series, delivering over 33 million pixels compared to 8.3 million in UHD 4K TVs. Powered by America’s #1 TV streaming platform based on hours streamed – April 2021 (Hypothesis Group), the newest 6-Series model will offer 8K resolution in screen sizes of 65” and 75” in the US!

Whether you’re watching in regular HD, 4K, or 8K, TCL’s AiPQ EngineTM technology intelligently upscales the content to make it look even better. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos technologies contribute to a cinematic level entertainment experience. And if you’re a gamer, you’ll enjoy hearing that the TCL Roku TV 6-Series is the first 8K TV with THX Certified Game Mode. The spectacular image quality in a low latency gaming display, combined with Variable Refresh Rate and Auto Game mode translates to a best-in-class gaming experience.

Roku features in the new 8K TCL Roku TV

Easy-to-use home screen offers instant access to the newest and most popular channels, over 250,000 free movies and TV episodes.
Automatic software updates: Your TV gets even better over time with the newest channels and features.
Roku Voice: Quickly search, play entertainment, switch inputs, and control your streaming with the included voice remote.
Free Roku mobile app: Control your player, search with your voice, use private listening, and more. iOS ® & Android ™
Works with popular voice assistants: Easily control your TV, play entertainment, and more with hands-free voice commands.
Share content with Apple AirPlay 2: Stream, control, and share content directly from iPhone, iPad, or Mac with AirPlay 2.
8K screensaver: Revel in the beauty of 8K picture, even when you’re not watching TV with a series of photos that will brighten up any room.
The TCL Roku TV 6-Series 8K is fresh off being named Editor’s Choice from Digital Trends and is now available for purchase at both Best Buy and Amazon.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the Tokyo Olympics opening ceremony in 8K (native) and it weighed in at 140gb and played back on my Mac at precisely 0 FPS. I could get stills by skimming the timeline though, and it looked nice!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'm deciding between a converter box plus new monitor (I don't really need it, but I am still on a 4x3 1600x1200 display) or a cheaper 28" (approx) roku or fire TV for some OTA viewing in my hobbies room.

I guess it really just comes down to budget, but I wondered if anyone had any big plusses or minuses that jumped out at them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

effika posted:

I'm deciding between a converter box plus new monitor (I don't really need it, but I am still on a 4x3 1600x1200 display) or a cheaper 28" (approx) roku or fire TV for some OTA viewing in my hobbies room.

I guess it really just comes down to budget, but I wondered if anyone had any big plusses or minuses that jumped out at them.

I replaced my circa-2007 monitor with a 43 inch 4K Roku tv that RTings recommended as a good mix of price, decently low input lag, and size. Still 60Hz, but it has a 24p mode for movies and the built in apps work fine. It's a HiSense 43R6090G and there's some TCL equivalent. Nothing fancy, but if you've been using something old for a long time it's a big jump. It was $260 when I got it.

The HDHomerun app for RokuTV is pretty jank but honestly I've never met an HDHomerun app that wasn't. Never used the built in OTA tuner.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 12, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RevKrule posted:

The biggest thing that seals YTTV over HTV for me is I can fast forward through all the commercials in YTTV recordings and I can't in Hulu, even with ads free. This is especially annoying if you want to repeat something before a commercial break and you aren't allowed to rewind until the break is over.

YTTV also gives you unlimited recordings with a 9 month expiry whereas Hulu only at most gives you 200 hours of recordings and that's only if you pay an extra $10/mo.

Also I don't like having live tv recommendations showing up in my classic "watch" list.

On the whole, Hulu TV is a fine product but if you have it available, I find YTTV a better deal.

Yeah. The restriction in what I could FF or not in HTV was infuriating and the thing that made me instantly question whether it was worth ditching my old Plex+Cablecard DVR. Sling also has frustrating restrictions on time shifting certain channels i.e. can I pause this NBA game to go take a piss.

The unlimited recordings thing is really nice too. The fire and forget method with YTTV is a very nice luxury. In comparison, Hulu couldn't help not making multiple recordings of the same show and flooding my free DVR space even if I try to tell it record new shows only. And the interface is rear end.

Getting the Hulu catalog of stuff is nice but if I'm subscribing to a live TV service I'm going to just get the one that does live TV best.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi, I am thinking about cutting the cord to lighten our cable/internet bill, but I know nothing whatsoever about it and I still want to be able to watch shows at the same time they air on regular rear end live TV, because I am apparently a luddite and the idea of watching all shows any time I want is scary to me (I enjoy structure, gently caress you).

What are my options?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 15, 2021

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi, I am thinking about cutting the cord to lighten our cable/internet bill, but I know nothing whatsoever about it and I still want to be able to watch shows at the same time they air on regular rear end live TV, because I am apparently a luddite and the idea of watching all shows any time I want is scary to me (I enjoy structure, gently caress you).

What are my options?

It totally depends on what channels you need.

Youtube TV tends to be the best one overall. It's also no longer the cheapest one though. It has the most channels I believe and a really good cloud DVR function.

Hulu is usually '2nd place.' It doesn't have as many channels (to me the biggest omission is AMC) but it's a little cheaper and you get the Hulu poo poo as well.

Then there's stuff like Fubo, Sling, and Philo. You'll need to check those out to determine if they meet your needs. Also, your ISP may have a streaming package. Those are typically cheaper but way more limited in channels offered.

Another one I'll mention is Locast. If you just need local broadcast channels you can't beat it. If you're in one of the markets they service, it's super easy. If you're not, you gotta use something to trick your device's location.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

What are my options?

You need to figure out what networks for you are must have. And then also which would be nice to have. Also do you need any particular sports?

This is a good site to narrow down your options: https://www.suppose.tv/tv

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I. M. Gei posted:

What are my options?

We just started using Hulu Live after years of cable and it does this extremely well with a great selection of bigger cable networks and locals. Couldn’t be happier honestly. The interface is very sleek and minimal too so that’s a plus for just getting to exactly what you want with minimal annoyances.

And yeah locast was recommended to me (my dog) in here and it’s a good one to check out too. The selection wasn’t amazing here but it’s free so you might as well have a look.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don’t forget a plain old antenna. Local channels will frequently look better OTA than they do on a compressed IPTV service. You can even get a HDHomerun of you want to pipe that around your network as well.

Cheap Sling package and OTA antenna served me well for a long time.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I started with Hulu because it was cheaper. But now it’s the same price as YouTubeTV and honestly just go with YTTV unless you really want access to the Hulu catalog (all the FX shows actually makes that a good proposition). Everything about the Hulu Live felt like a second rate service compared to YT, the lack of DVR space, the clunky interface, the weird app behavior on the Shield TV, being a few minutes behind YT on live feeds, the weird time shifting limitations, ads, etc.

Sling is cheaper but it feels like it. Couldn’t pause a live sports game so I bailed right then in my trial. But you can save some money with them if that is a big factor. In fact if you don’t need sports at all then you really can save a lot more money with Sling or Philo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As of this evening, 5.1 is live on YouTube TV for my 2021 Apple TV 4k.

Edit: Also live on my LG C6 and Roku. No Shield or Chromecast with Google TV yet.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 17, 2021

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Has anyone upgraded to 4k on YTTV? Can you post a trip report?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra 10-20/mo. I only really stream on one TV, two at the absolute most, at a time so that isn't interesting to me. I have a 2019 shield so it's already doing algorithmic upscaling but I'm wondering if there's a big difference between that and what YTTV offers for 4k content.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's barely any 4k content so it's completely not worth it in my opinon.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They conveniently added a 4K tab so you can see what great shows you are missing in 4K. The time I checked it was mostly reality TV and cooking shows.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Do YouTube TV or Hulu Live let you watch in-progress DVR recordings from the beginning (e.g. start watching an 8pm show at 8:30 from the beginning)? If I recall correctly, neither let you do that when I first looked into them a few years ago but maybe things have changed or I'm misremembering.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Youtube TV has always allowed you to do that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
YttV def does. If you start it after it's record time it'll ask if you want to join it in progress or start from the beginning.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mancalamania posted:

Do YouTube TV or Hulu Live let you watch in-progress DVR recordings from the beginning (e.g. start watching an 8pm show at 8:30 from the beginning)? If I recall correctly, neither let you do that when I first looked into them a few years ago but maybe things have changed or I'm misremembering.

YTTV lets you do that. In fact when you select an in-progress recording you're given a choice to start at beginning or join live. I'm pretty sure with Hulu it's a mixed bag. On sports games I seem to remember it defaulting to start at beginning and you have to pull up the UI to get to live, whereas for trash reality shows like 90 Day Fiance I had to wait until the recording was done before I could actually start at the beginning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu finally has hdr!

quote:

Available HDR content can be watched on the following supported devices with the latest Hulu app:

Roku (HDR compatible models)

Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, Fire TV Cube devices (HDR compatible models with Fire OS 7 or later)

Apple TV 4K (Gen 5 or later)

Vizio (HDR compatible models)

Chromecast Ultra (HDR-compatible models)

quote:

HULU Originals: TV Series with HDR Badge
Nine Perfect Strangers - The Handmaid's Tale - Little Fires Everywhere - Dollface - Hellstrom - The Great - The First - High Fidelity - CastleRock - Wu-Tang - Future Man - Woke - The Looming Tower - The Act - Catch-22 - Reprisal - Four Weddings and a Funeral - The Runaways

HULU Originals: Movies with HDR Badge
RUN (2020) - Happiest Season - WeWork - Bad Hair (HDR but no 4K Badge) - The United States vs. Billie Holiday (HDR but no 4K Badge)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

It's incredibly frustrating that Hulu just keeps leaving its android tv app out in the cold here. Not being able to get 4k out of my Shield TV from an app is incredibly annoying. The upscaling it does is a nice consolation but not having HDR sucks.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RevKrule posted:

It's incredibly frustrating that Hulu just keeps leaving its android tv app out in the cold here. Not being able to get 4k out of my Shield TV from an app is incredibly annoying. The upscaling it does is a nice consolation but not having HDR sucks.

I really like my Shield but, yeah, it being a more niche variant of the already niche Android TV ecosystem means there will always be random bits of annoyance in the app world that just won't get addressed. Weird stuff with Hulu, no Britbox app, etc. And telling me that it works fine if you just use the Chromecast feature is super annoying and if you tell me to sideload an apk I'll go nuts

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WhyteRyce posted:

I really like my Shield but, yeah, it being a more niche variant of the already niche Android TV ecosystem means there will always be random bits of annoyance in the app world that just won't get addressed. Weird stuff with Hulu, no Britbox app, etc. And telling me that it works fine if you just use the Chromecast feature is super annoying and if you tell me to sideload an apk I'll go nuts

Sucks rear end that the Good AndroidTV Device seems to be turning into the Weird Expensive AndroidTV Device

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe britbox allows for chromecast to work but you can't even get 4k hulu w/casting to it since it's not a "chromecast ultra." I'm curious if it works on the new chromecasts w/remotes.

Again, I love the hell out of my shield and even with this bullshit I would absolutely recommend it to anyone in the google eco looking to cut the cord but also you'd think with Disney behind it, Hulu would get their poo poo together a little better on this. The D+ app works great and does 4kHDR no problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We peaked with the Boxee box and it's been all downhill since.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FCKGW posted:

I loved my Boxee Box. People need to quit being afraid of fun product design

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FCKGW posted:

I couldn't agree more. What a great device and I think I still have one laying around somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I do wish there was something in between Plex's ease of use and XBMC's customization, I felt like Boxee should have been it.