Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Have you played Anno out of curiosity?

never tried any of them, and it's one of those series i have no idea where to even begin :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Your Computer posted:

never tried any of them, and it's one of those series i have no idea where to even begin :shobon:

Latest one, 1800 is a good starting spot. If you absolutely want future stuff the most future number 2404 I think is a great game to try because it is mechanically different from the other Anno games in a way you doesn't matter if it is your first. But my dude there is a world of management games that are like civ without the war part. Check the management games thread.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I wonder if it makes sense to just raze lovely cities and rebuild them once you get settlers and/or construction crews. Something to try next game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

You really need to play them if what you like in Civ is the building part. Really really.

Anno 1800 is the latest one, on uplay and EGS, Anno 2505 is the most recent future one, that's on steam, and there's an updated version of 1404, the fan favorite older one, also on steam.

I'd recommend 1800 heartily, it's amazing (you can even play it coop with a friend or friends and manage the same empire together).

We have an 1800 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879146

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vengarr posted:

I wonder if it makes sense to just raze lovely cities and rebuild them once you get settlers and/or construction crews. Something to try next game.

Oh man, so before I rose my city cap I just attached like 4 territories away. Then I got that feudalism tech, dis-attached two of the further territories and made a city out of them. It is MAGICAL plopping down a city that is ready to go. You got all the production in the world to plop out 6 districts in 10 turns.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really do not understand how they give the catchup cities (which is brilliant), but don't give you a buildable item to catch your existing cities up :psyduck:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

Latest one, 1800 is a good starting spot. If you absolutely want future stuff the most future number 2404 I think is a great game to try because it is mechanically different from the other Anno games in a way you doesn't matter if it is your first. But my dude there is a world of management games that are like civ without the war part. Check the management games thread.

victrix posted:

You really need to play them if what you like in Civ is the building part. Really really.

Anno 1800 is the latest one, on uplay and EGS, Anno 2505 is the most recent future one, that's on steam, and there's an updated version of 1404, the fan favorite older one, also on steam.

I'd recommend 1800 heartily, it's amazing (you can even play it coop with a friend or friends and manage the same empire together).

We have an 1800 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879146

y'all got me interested! i'm putting it on my list, that does really sound like something i'd enjoy

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

victrix posted:

I really do not understand how they give the catchup cities (which is brilliant), but don't give you a buildable item to catch your existing cities up :psyduck:

It’s really annoying that they don’t.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

victrix posted:

Somehow I never really thought about playing any of these but my favorite part of Civ is also the part where I build a big, cool civilization so this sounds fantastic

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Harrow posted:

Somehow I never really thought about playing any of these but my favorite part of Civ is also the part where I build a big, cool civilization so this sounds fantastic

Yeah 100% get in there, the games are a joy, and for anyone else trying to square peg round hole civ games as pure builders, do the same!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

victrix posted:

Too easy maybe? You have to actually move the settlers into the new territory and that means they can be killed. Technically speaking you can get more slots by building hamlets, though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Hamlets give you more citizen slots but they don’t improve infrastructure.

I guess the thinking is that you don’t really NEED any infrastructure except food and whatever specialty they are geared to (industry, money or science). You are probably better off spamming districts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm poisoned on the anno series after a goon years ago described them as games for Germans. As in they're games for dry, orderly people.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

I'm poisoned on the anno series after a goon years ago described them as games for Germans. As in they're games for dry, orderly people.

I mean... it's not wrong.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

they're joyful, playful, charming explorations of cool periods of history

(unless you crank the difficulty on pirates and angry ai I guess :v:)

even the more melancholic 2070 and 2205 have fundamentally hopeful messages

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

victrix posted:

they're joyful, playful, charming explorations of cool periods of history

(unless you crank the difficulty on pirates and angry ai I guess :v:)

even the more melancholic 2070 and 2205 have fundamentally hopeful messages

Also not wrong. 2975 takes the eco apocalypse of 2077 and just say "well we fixed it through hard work, unity, and foreal conservation efforts". It's just so nice to play a whole rear end videogame where I don't have to simulate murder on anyone

Edit: conveniently forgets about how Moon Cobra Commander vows vengeance for the crews I destroyed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I really love zooming in on the map and watching my citizens go about their lives. The tiny mule carts and trains in Humankind are great. It's making me less of a warmonger because I don't want my little guys to get hurt. Does Anno have a lot of that as well?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Extending the metaphor, Germans also like coziness and comfort. They're this German:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Chamale posted:

I really love zooming in on the map and watching my citizens go about their lives. The tiny mule carts and trains in Humankind are great. It's making me less of a warmonger because I don't want my little guys to get hurt. Does Anno have a lot of that as well?

That's about 30% of the game in Anno. And the little ones' asking you for help with this or that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does anyone know where Humankind devs are most responsive to feedback? I don't want to shout into the void, our dead forum certainly isn't the place for it :v:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

That's about 30% of the game in Anno. And the little ones' asking you for help with this or that

extremely

You can actually do this in 1800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3frTqD8EAQ

Anyway, that's enough Anno derail, go hit the thread, grab the game, it's good :neckbeard:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like how you can explore another civ's territory before you contact them. Less of a fan of how that means your unit is now stuck in their territory, you can't move it without declaring war, you can't disband it because it's outside your territory, and you can't put it to sleep because it's in enemy territory so you have to do the skip turn button every single turn from then on.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Grand Fromage posted:

I like how you can explore another civ's territory before you contact them. Less of a fan of how that means your unit is now stuck in their territory, you can't move it without declaring war, you can't disband it because it's outside your territory, and you can't put it to sleep because it's in enemy territory so you have to do the skip turn button every single turn from then on.

Only at sea. You can run land units back home unless they're more than a territory deep, and there is territory in every single direction.

EDIT
I agree that this suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks regardless. Should have been more clear on that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Hamlets give you more citizen slots but they don’t improve infrastructure.

I guess the thinking is that you don’t really NEED any infrastructure except food and whatever specialty they are geared to (industry, money or science). You are probably better off spamming districts.

I put all cities on Public Growth always. More people, more stuff gets done.. eventually. Then my growth graph looks like this:

Just spam districts and make as many people as possible. Then you can do whatever because you have so vast resources. I didn't really even bother building armies, I just bought them instead when needed.

That was on Empire. First I tried Town, same result. I will give the game one last chance to offer even a modicum of challenge with Humankind.

Anyways, should I disable the "new world" (empty continent) option? In 2 games I haven't seen AI even considering conquering it. So it's basically more free land for the player to grab...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

victrix posted:

Does anyone know where Humankind devs are most responsive to feedback? I don't want to shout into the void, our dead forum certainly isn't the place for it :v:

There seems to be at least one or two taking notes in:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HumankindTheGame/

I imagine their own forum might also be a good choice.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Anyways, should I disable the "new world" (empty continent) option? In 2 games I haven't seen AI even considering conquering it. So it's basically more free land for the player to grab...

My general rule of thumb for all these games is that Pangaea with no/minimal water is the best way to help the AI play its best (whatever that amounts to). Sometimes I'll even turn off circumnavigation (pathfinding).

I find removing water is, unfortunately, almost always necessary, because AI usually has enough issues putting together meaningful armies and moving them to the right places on land, much less if islands and continents are involved.

New world in particular is a really bad AI whammy, because unless the devs explicitly coded the AI to prioritize moving to the new land asap, it's a free gimme for the player, making whatever difficulty you're on that much easier.

tldr: try Large Pangea or No Ocean World Shape with World Wrap off

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Kind of annoying not having unit icons.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks, I'll try those settings next. I really would like at least some challenge! I like boats too but...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

victrix posted:

tldr: try Large Pangea or No Ocean World Shape with World Wrap off

I wonder if playing on a Flat Earth map creates a random event where you have to deal with zealots who think the world is round.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Too easy maybe? You have to actually move the settlers into the new territory and that means they can be killed. Technically speaking you can get more slots by building hamlets, though.

You don't have to use settlers to take advantage of the free infrastructure techs. You also get all the free buildings for founding any city normally. Settlers just give them a boosted starting population and saves you the influence cost.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Settlers are basically free. You can farm unlimited money with districts, but I don't know how to make lots of influence. So I just buy settlers and send them out. Influence costs to convert outposts to cities are super high in later game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I know, settlers are amazing, I'm just saying that the "risk" of physically moving settlers across the map justifying not giving older cities all the free infrastructure doesn't make any sense because the mechanics aren't even attached to each other.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I wonder what it’s like to play the Harrapans

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't even know what their abilities are because I don't know how to check when someone else has already selected them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

I wonder what it’s like to play the Harrapans

You farm food. Lots of food. Then you get lots of people to make stuff...

Australians are also cool. Just strip mine everything!

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Harappans are the strongest pick for Ancient Era because agrarian cultures into production cultures will snowball you hard. More pop = more everything including influence and faith spread.

Harappans -> Maya/Celts/Carthaginians -> Khmers -> whatever you want because that's a strong pop/production base.

How you beat the AI to Harappans and Mycenaeans: Use auto-explore on your starting Tribes/Scouts to match the AI's goodie hut omnipotence
Aim for the Science per pop legacy trait before ascending. Harappan's Runners have 5 base move so they can out-explore the other civs in Classical Era.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Uh huh so yes you get the AI cheat vision with autoexplore? They just beeline to huts? drat. Yes Harappans are the best and I am sad if they are not available.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

Historically accurate feature, working as intended.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
loving Mongols ruined my endless game in 5 turns flat.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

loving Mongols ruined my endless game in 5 turns flat.

Something needs to be done about the huns and mongols. They are the only civs that get free units and the fact that those free units are by far the best in their era is just adding insult to injury. Ive had two games in a row now where I was next to the huns and they declared war and basically ended my game right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

Something needs to be done about the huns and mongols. They are the only civs that get free units and the fact that those free units are by far the best in their era is just adding insult to injury. Ive had two games in a row now where I was next to the huns and they declared war and basically ended my game right there.

As someone who has played the Huns... Just build walls lol