Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's cool that the Western response to disaster is increasingly "well we can't really do anything about it, we'll have to get accustomed to it and live with it"

Mass shootings, plague, climate devastation

Remember how everyone freaked the gently caress out about Columbine? Now when two dozen little kids are shot to death everyone just shrugs

Remember when we saw the Ohio river light onto fire in 1969 and set up a massive public works program and the EPA to clean up America? Now the mississippi is drying up and everyone just shrugs

Remember when we eradicated polio? Lol. Lmao

Mass shootings are a uniquely American problem, to be fair.

And some of us were trying to fight covid until recently. :( NZ is still holding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol Nate full transformation

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1429161481606676486?s=19

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

External Organs posted:

Trip report, Pfizer 3 day 2.

Definitely my most intense response of either of my prior shots. Achy, tired, headache, feel possibly feverish but I ain't getting off the couch to check. Sore arm of course.

Blast my blood with your antibodies, BioNtech. Max my titers!!!

Same. Curled on the couch watching Dinosaur Train.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
is greg abbott dead yet?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

post COVID posted:

my brother just texted me 'do the chances of survival go down the longer you're intubated?' any MD goons want to weigh in?

god drat this sucks

yes. being on a ventilator means your lungs are struggling to absorb any oxygen. if you don't have enough oxygen in your system a whole variety of awful stuff happens. if you could survive just with supplemental oxygen the hospital would do that instead, since being in an induced coma (which is required to be ventilated) also has a bunch of risks like blood clots, but they can't do that because then you'd die from essentially suffocating.

it's real bad and has a very low survival rate

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Imagine doing something and it turning out to be unnecessary. We can't take that chance!

drat right, it's better to burn bodies than it is to burn surplus!

:capitalism:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1429194772145639432?s=19

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I'm a physicist and i hate nate silver so loving much

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"i became an economist because i don't want to do math and am completely unable to relate math to physical concepts" is pretty loving on the nose i gotta say

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Stereotype posted:

i'm not a physicist and i hate nate silver so loving much

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Phil valentine has died

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Phil valentine has died

https://www.wkrn.com/news/conservative-talk-show-host-phil-valentine-dies-after-covid-19-battle/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao thinking economics is left wing

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

every economist thinks they could've been a physicist if they wanted to

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:lmao:

The assumptions are the most important part of economics too, even if it is still bullshit. Basically he just wants to be a computer (like the old school kind that was a job for a person) and do math because he has no idea how anything actually loving works and being challenged makes him feel bad.

Edit:

Stereotype posted:

"i became an economist because i don't want to do math and am completely unable to relate math to physical concepts" is pretty loving on the nose i gotta say

:hai:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Moderna #3 on board

Ingles in WNC

Hx of splenectomy. So long ago you can’t even see the scar.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 21, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
physics professor: "the derivative is just a function that describes the slope of a line at any point. the slope of a graph that is "position vs time" tells you what the velocity of the thing you are measuring is!"

nate silver: "this formal math is very alienating and the concepts are just impossible to comprehend. i think instead i will major in the field that just has to wave its hands around and yell bullshit that rich people want to hear. as a bonus, i get to hear what lots of rich sociopaths have to say about poor people"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stereotype posted:

same.

him fleeing the major after the into course didn't handhold him hard enough into making the connections between reality and the math describing it makes a lot of sense.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

pillsburysoldier posted:

Phil valentine has died

Finally, an ICU bed in Tennessee is open

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just imagining Nate's Mom bursting into tears when he broke the news over Christmas dinner.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stereotype posted:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
"look at the UK it already peaked in delta... freedom day did nothing. the US delta peak is over too"

oops

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-r-rate-england-coronavirus-b951633.html

quote:

England’s Covid R rate jumps to a high of 1.2

England’s coronavirus reproduction number has risen to between 0.9 and 1.2 in the latest Government figures.

R represents the average number of people each Covid-19 positive person goes onto infect with the virus.

Every 10 people who have coronavirus will infect between 9 and 12 others when the R number is between 0.9 and 1.2.

The R value has begun to climb in England as Monday’s saw self-isolation rules for double-jabbed Britons relaxed.

In comparison, the R value was at 0.8 to 1 last week.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Phil valentine has died

im just glad he suffered a lot first

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not an MD but I'm a dietitian who has seen many covid vents-

Yes generally speaking the longer on the vent they are going to have worse outcomes and have increasingly more bizarre problems as time goes on.

Second worst case scenario is you are stable enough to get a tracheostomy and a PEG tube and go to an LTACH. Not sure how those patients do. Anecdotally Ive seen one come back to our hospital and I saw him again because he had gaping wounds in his rear end. He was doing well though and could eat and stuff and was working on walking again. He probably had the trach removed. He was in his 40s. This was pre vaccine era.

Many patients are way at increased risk for pressure wounds because adjusting them in bed makes their oxygen drop the gently caress off so they can't move them much. Many also end up needing dialysis, seems like. Things get really exciting when they are third spacing fluids (especially their scrotum. Blows up like a lil balloon) and then they get to have like a paracentesis to drain out liters of fluid.

It's a mess!!!!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
"delta will peak in 5 weeks.. there is nothing to worry about... we will be back to normal by the holidays"

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

"delta will peak in 5 weeks.. there is nothing to worry about... we will be back to normal by the holidays"

I hear 95% of people in the UK have antibodies!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ABOUT loving TIME

was waiting FOREVER for this. god! :mad:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Phil valentine has died

more like Phil ValentOUT

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

External Organs posted:

Yes generally speaking the longer on the vent they are going to have worse outcomes and have increasingly more bizarre problems as time goes on.

Second worst case scenario is you are stable enough to get a tracheostomy and a PEG tube and go to an LTACH. Not sure how those patients do. Anecdotally Ive seen one come back to our hospital and I saw him again because he had gaping wounds in his rear end. He was doing well though and could eat and stuff and was working on walking again. He probably had the trach removed. He was in his 40s. This was pre vaccine era.

Many patients are way at increased risk for pressure wounds because adjusting them in bed makes their oxygen drop the gently caress off so they can't move them much. Many also end up needing dialysis, seems like. Things get really exciting when they are third spacing fluids (especially their scrotum. Blows up like a lil balloon) and then they get to have like a paracentesis to drain out liters of fluid.

It's a mess!!!!

and sometimes they squash your dick for a week and it gets amputated while you're knocked out

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

External Organs posted:

It's a mess!!!!

why don't we have like a water tank floating bed for people that need to be vented for months at a time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I will also say none of what I said is unique to covid vent patients but man they stay on the vent a loving long time. Had one poor fifty something lady for like 45+ days. That's the thing to me about covid vents. They take for loving ever to either die (like 80%+ in my experience) or go to LTACH.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

External Organs posted:

It's a mess!!!!

no as long as they don't die we shouldn't even worry about them. they don't matter. anything other than a death is irrelevant!!!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

:slick:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mod sassinator posted:

why don't we have like a water tank floating bed for people that need to be vented for months at a time

buddy we don't even have enough normal-rear end beds

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

ABOUT loving TIME

was waiting FOREVER for this. god! :mad:

quote:

“Phil would like for his listeners to know that while he has never been an ‘anti-vaxer’ he regrets not being more vehemently ‘Pro-Vaccine’ and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon,” his family wrote in their initial statement following his hospitalization

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

I think some of the bed technology is pretty neat with waffle mattresses and stuff but this specifically would become an infection control gangrene issue real fast lol.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

We do. They’re very expensive. Basically an inflated bed that changes where has the most pressure.

But it can only do so much. At the end of the day people need to be turned and positioned. Turns out when you stop hiring cnas people get bed sores.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
"Vaccine passports are the same as Germany tattooing Jews"

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6998986956570955013

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Exclusive video of Richard Feynman driving Nate Silver to econ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36GT2zI8lVA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Not a doc, but I'm going to guess we'd end up with a waterborne antibiotic resistant MRSA within a week.