Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nessus posted:

I heard Spiner was kind of an rear end in a top hat but like a normal person kind of rear end in a top hat, where maybe he fucks up the vibe at a party and you don't invite him to the next one, as opposed to, you know, the kind of rear end in a top hat we can detect on the prickalino sensors from two quadrants away. He seems to still be friends with LeVar Burton, anyway.

It may very well be that he's completely normal and just kind of looks like an rear end in a top hat when he's not playing Data.

Yeah, I know everybody hates TBBT, but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XD9P8bhYSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I haven't heard stories about Spiner but I get the sense that he has a strange sense of humor that people either get and appreciate or they don't and dislike him.

My somewhat controversial opinion is that even though I'm fine with Spiner as an actor and a person, I think he tends to be better as Data than as other characters, generally speaking. He's always struck me as overcompensating for playing an emotionless android by going balls-to-the-wall with his non-Data roles.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, I know everybody hates TBBT, but anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XD9P8bhYSA

The whole cast has clearly always been up for a laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX--ggBxu0o

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HD DAD posted:

Spiner honestly seems like the most “normal dude” of the TNG cast, maybe holding that rank with Sirtis. He’s just got an abrasive and dry sense of humor that can rub people the wrong way, I suspect. But he always comes off as 100% genuine.

Okay! I'm glad to hear that I was wrong, and I think what I did hear or read before can definitely fit abrasive humour being misreported.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Epicurius posted:

I kind of agree with Brent Spiner's take on the whole thing.

This isn't technically incorrect but it sounds like the kind of stuff P-stew used to say before he actually sat down and watched TNG.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's thread lore that he hated Star Trek and was just cashing checks but I've never seen anything from him to suggest that was the case.

That's not thread lore. Spiner says as much at multiple points in The Fifty-Year Mission.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Timby posted:

That's not thread lore. Spiner says as much at multiple points in The Fifty-Year Mission.

I just checked 50 Year Mission, and he didn't say that at all. He said he wished the show could have been more inventive, and that at the end of seven years almost all the actors were ready to be done with it, but that he enjoyed the work, he enjoyed the people, he really being in the Datacentric Fistful of Datas and Mask, he liked Data's arc in First Contact and working with Alice Krieg. He did say that he really didn't like Insurrection.

I'd also point out that he came back to guest start in both Enterprise and Picard, which isn't the type of behavior you'd expect if he hated the franchise.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Robert Beltram, Chakotay on Voyager, who went on to admit that he got burned out pretty early because he never got much in the way of character development or interesting episodes, and instead was just the "wise Native American" character, so he mentally checked out?

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 22, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
In some horrible reality this is what star trek became:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JOZXXZ5qPc

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Epicurius posted:

I just checked 50 Year Mission, and he didn't say that at all. He said he wished the show could have been more inventive, and that at the end of seven years almost all the actors were ready to be done with it, but that he enjoyed the work, he enjoyed the people, he really being in the Datacentric Fistful of Datas and Mask, he liked Data's arc in First Contact and working with Alice Krieg. He did say that he really didn't like Insurrection.

I'd also point out that he came back to guest start in both Enterprise and Picard, which isn't the type of behavior you'd expect if he hated the franchise.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Robert Beltram, Chakotay on Voyager, who went on to admit that he got burned out pretty early because he never got much in the way of character development or interesting episodes, and instead was just the "wise Native American" character, so he mentally checked out?

Yeah, he's interviewed in the Galaxy Quest documentary along with several other TNG actors and was like "gently caress, why didn't do something like this on TNG? It would have been a monster hit." Like, he hated playing Data specifically by the time Nemesis rolled around because the make up work was taxing and he was straining believably as being an ageless android that's supposed to be forever in his 30s when he was pushing 50 by then, but he still loved being a part of Star Trek.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I rather liked The Tholian Web. I think TOS might just be at its best when its focused on Spock and McCoy's rivalry.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Should have just gone with "I reconstructed my face to reflect my age if I were human. I also added the appearance of an extra 40 pounds to my frame so I would seem more jolly."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Should have just gone with "I reconstructed my face to reflect my age if I were human. I also added the appearance of an extra 40 pounds to my frame so I would seem more jolly."

His mom already had like aging subsystems just say he copied those to be more like her.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Data would absolutely say "jolly".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

"jovial" imo

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Season 3-7 Data would say jovial. Season 1-2 Data would hear someone else say jolly, be confused, look up the definition, and read it out loud.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They should have ended Picard with soong's son revealing in something he says off hand to the captain after it was all over, that he was actually Data this whole time, finally having gotten his wish to be human, and able to age and eventually die.

I dont' know if this would have actually made sense with the plot of Picard since I gave up on like episode 5 or 6, but from what i've picked up through osmosis it seemed really dumb on android world all around.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Couldn't have been any worse than the actual show. So we kept this copy of Data running on a server, but never bothered to check up on him or copy him to one of the spare android bodies we can easily construct. He remained trapped in a void, fully conscious of time passing and longing for the sweet release of death every moment. :wtc:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Doggles posted:

Couldn't have been any worse than the actual show. So we kept this copy of Data running on a server, but never bothered to check up on him or copy him to one of the spare android bodies we can easily construct. He remained trapped in a void, fully conscious of time passing and longing for the sweet release of death every moment. :wtc:

I mean, I've got a hard drive from a computer about 10 years ago, and I've got stuff on there I never bothered to get off too, so, you know, makes sense.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Doggles posted:

wow, they made Data really lame. That's just a typical Tuesday for Miles O'Brien.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doggles posted:

This is disturbing even for fan fiction, I hope you feel bad.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Epicurius posted:

I mean, I've got a hard drive from a computer about 10 years ago, and I've got stuff on there I never bothered to get off too, so, you know, makes sense.

"Anyone know what's on this chip labeled "Moriarty"? No? Eh, put it back into storage."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

I dont' know if this would have actually made sense with the plot of Picard since I gave up on like episode 5 or 6, but from what i've picked up through osmosis it seemed really dumb on android world all around.

Why would making sense with the plot have anything to do with anything?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

wow, they made Data really lame. That's just a typical Tuesday for Miles O'Brien.

To be fair, miles also longed for the sweet embrace of death and came very close to killing himself with a phaser on full blast

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

To be fair, miles also longed for the sweet embrace of death and came very close to killing himself with a phaser on full blast

Yeah, but these days being trapped in a Dyson Sphere for millennia is just a short amount of time for him.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I am in the middle of an ill-advised chronological watchthrough of Star Trek, and have made it to Enterprise, Season 3.

On the one hand, oh sweet lordy I forgot what they did with the intro music in this season. On the other, Johnny Gat as a MACO, :hellyeah:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"Alright, just got home from work, got my dinner, guess I'll finish up Star Trek TOS tonight"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh boy please come back and tell us how you found Turnabout Intruder. I won't rant off about it again because I feel like it's becoming a habit but please do give your reaction.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HopperUK posted:

Oh boy please come back and tell us how you found Turnabout Intruder. I won't rant off about it again because I feel like it's becoming a habit but please do give your reaction.

Worst Phoenix Wright case ever

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But Turnabout Big Top is right there!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I'm glad this show got cancelled now

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to assume there's classified Starfleet files that are absolutely loving insane, based on what the Enterprise comes across. Like...

April 23, 2258: USS Havana lost with all hands following collision with 1,000 meter long Celestial Teddy Roosevelt

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I always liked the joke/idea that Starfleet Command assumed that Kirk just made up poo poo for his logs. "What is it this week? Another giant green hand?" "No Admiral, this week's log states that space amazons stole his first officer's brain."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prototype TNG uniform: extra pizzazz version

Everyone gotta make sure they work the biceps and chest before shoot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 27, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

8one6 posted:

I always liked the joke/idea that Starfleet Command assumed that Kirk just made up poo poo for his logs. "What is it this week? Another giant green hand?" "No Admiral, this week's log states that space amazons stole his first officer's brain."
I wish Beyond had run more with explaining why Kirk was supposedly so burned-out and bored by filling the main titles with every crazy thing ever encountered in TOS, so he could legitimately go "yeah, Abraham Lincoln floating in space, planet-sized amoeba, half-black half-white dudes, whatever - how about something to really impress me?" It would have been better than opening with 'cartoony CGI aliens'.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Now I'm imagining a spin-off star trek Phoenix Wright game where one of the witnesses is captain pike in his weird wheelchair.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Prototype TNG uniform: extra pizzazz version

Everyone gotta make sure they work the biceps and chest before shoot.

A glimpse into the alternate universe where the Enterprise-D is a discotheque instead of a shopping mall in space.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

A glimpse into the alternate universe where the Enterprise-D is a discotheque instead of a shopping mall in space.

This is theiss we're talking about here, so

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

This is theiss we're talking about here, so

Is that open on the side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Looks like wood paneling to me. Birch, I'd say.