Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

infernal machines posted:

sure, much like i would be if i'm hit by a car, a constant worry for me as a lifelong pedestrian in a major city. somehow, i still go out and function in society despite the ever present risk of being permanently mangled by several tons of metal every time i'm on a sidewalk or crossing a road.

i've had to take public transit throughout the pandemic to do onsite work for clients when it can't be done remotely. there has always been a risk to this, which i accept. there is now less of a risk because i've received both vaccinations, but my exposure has not significantly changed. the fact that i can also go sit outdoors on a patio and have a meal or a drink does not seem significantly more risky to me now than taking a bus while unvaccinated during the previous three waves of the pandemic, so i'm personally okay with it.

loving eye roll gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

enki42 posted:

it helps that here in Ontario the coward douglas ford was spooked into not going full "open 'er up" and we still have some reasonable restrictions.

we do, and toronto still has a mask mandate and some semblance of enforcement.

skewetoo posted:

loving eye roll gently caress off

okay

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
every single day I leave the house i run the risk of being shot by an incel mass murderer on account of my Chad-ish good looks, but somehow I manage to keep going

i guess I'm just reckless lol

Mafic Rhyolite has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Aug 21, 2021

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

we do, and toronto still has a mask mandate and some semblance of enforcement.

the mask mandate is still ontario wide afaik, it started city by city, but the province mandated it once virtually every city had one.

i've seen exactly one person without a mask indoors throughout the pandemic in Hamilton (in the sketchiest LCBO we have). even in parks 50%ish of kids have masks on, which seems to be a fairly uniquely hamilton thing (at least every time i've been in toronto playgrounds have very few masks)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

The odds of anything happening ever are unchanging and my own actions can never influence them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

enki42 posted:

the mask mandate is still ontario wide afaik, it started city by city, but the province mandated it once virtually every city had one.

i've seen exactly one person without a mask indoors throughout the pandemic in Hamilton (in the sketchiest LCBO we have). even in parks 50%ish of kids have masks on, which seems to be a fairly uniquely hamilton thing (at least every time i've been in toronto playgrounds have very few masks)

yeah, people mostly do not wear them while outdoors here. some do, but it's definitely a minority. the exception being servers working on patios and public staff for outdoor amenities. indoor compliance seems to be pretty good. even the ttc you'll usually only see one or two people in a day across multiple vehicles without a mask.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The odds of anything happening ever are unchanging and my own actions can never influence them.

I mean sure I could adopt a slouch and wear oversized clothing to hide my perfectly mediocre musculature and maybe put on some weight and grow out the neckbeard to make myself less of a target but I feel okay living on the edge here

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

I mean sure I could adopt a slouch and wear oversized clothing to hide my perfectly mediocre musculature and maybe put on some weight and grow out the neckbeard to make myself less of a target but I feel okay living on the edge here

:golfclap:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

yeah, people mostly do not wear them while outdoors here. some do, but it's definitely a minority. the exception being servers working on patios and public staff for outdoor amenities. indoor compliance seems to be pretty good. even the ttc you'll usually only see one or two people in a day across multiple vehicles without a mask.

yeah, for the most part it's the same here, playgrounds are just an exception (they're pretty plastered with signs saying you need to wear masks, although there's zero enforcement)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

enki42 posted:

it helps that here in Ontario the coward douglas ford was spooked into not going full "open 'er up" and we still have some reasonable restrictions.

well doug can’t Live In Fear forever, he’s going to have to get smart like kenney and pallister. oh wait, they’re walking back the relaxed standards similar to how the us has done? and schools are taking masking and vaccination requirements into their own hands? that’s so weird, I wonder what mental illness is making them so afraid as to take proactive restrictions against communicable disease

sure, much like i would be if i'm hit by a car, a constant worry for me as a lifelong pedestrian in a major city. somehow, i still go out and function in society despite the ever present risk of being permanently mangled by several tons of metal every time i'm on a sidewalk or crossing a road.

you left out the most important part which is “do you look both ways before
crossing”. from your other posts it seems you don’t and delegate that decision to the flashing sign- “it says walk, why wouldn’t I walk?” *ignores mack truck careening through red light* I guess as long as you’re not worrying about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, much like i wear a mask and social distance where possible and got my vaccinations. those are not sufficient to remove all risk, much like looking both ways won't stop you from getting creamed by a car in every possible circumstance, but they reduce the risk sufficiently that i'm fine otherwise participating in society.

but also, as i mentioned, i've had to go out for work throughout this entire thing, on public transit no less. i do not for a moment believe that sitting on an outdoor patio while distanced from other patrons, with two doses of god knows what running through my veins, is significantly more risky than riding an overcrowded bus was in february of this year.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Aug 22, 2021

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

yes, much like i wear a mask and social distance where possible and got my vaccinations. those are not sufficient to remove all risk, much like looking both ways won't stop you from getting creamed by a car in every possible circumstance, but they reduce the risk sufficiently that i'm fine otherwise participating in society.
drat you ever come in ready to argue and then someone's reasonable? gently caress off with that poo poo I wanted a fight.

Most people's "living in fear" is doing the exact things you're mentioning like masking up and social distancing.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

odiv posted:

drat you ever come in ready to argue and then someone's reasonable? gently caress off with that poo poo I wanted a fight.

Most people's "living in fear" is doing the exact things you're mentioning like masking up and social distancing.

this conversation started because someone is so terrified of the ghosts of the pandemic that they don't want to do shrooms anymore

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Also 'cause we're all on edge and pissed off.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

odiv posted:

most people, yeah. a couple people in this thread were just chiding others for going outside or enjoying a patio, so ymmv.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

most people, yeah. a couple people in this thread were just chiding others for going outside or enjoying a patio, so ymmv.

i sat down in a starbucks this week, drank coffee, and talked to a friend and i didn't die!!!!

i think

i may be graveposting right now

mods?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Checks Ontario covid numbers

Going great!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow you guys get numbers on the weekend?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

i sat down in a starbucks this week, drank coffee, and talked to a friend and i didn't die!!!!

i think

i may be graveposting right now

mods?

didn't you already get ravaged by covid?

i'm glad to hear you're feeling comfortable to go out again and being able to chill with a friend helps a lot of things.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

The thing is, if this is endemic (all signs point to yes), basing your risk tolerance on "does covid still exist" means you'll never ever do anything again. Might as well take some measured risks while cases are lowish since there's a good chance the winter is going to be more dangerous.

See your parents so you have some goodwill built for when you refuse to do Christmas. See your friends so you can remember what they look like.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

^^^
this is my idea as well - I am optimistic but I kinda figure once the kids are back in schools things are gonna go to poo poo. May as well do things at the edge of the risk profile now before you wake up in the third March 2020 on October 15

i'm just thinking about professional computer touchers trying to tell someone who rides a packed Toronto city bus (where the union is allowing drivers to make informed choices about getting vaccinated) to work every day that they're being selfish ghouls endangering their lives and those of everyone around them for wanting to meet friends in a park or maybe even go to a patio

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Aug 21, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd hate to misrepresent myself here. i am also a professional computer toucher and i only ride the bus a few days a week, not every day

i'm not happy about the maskless driver thing, but i can't actually be mad at atu 113 about it. if their membership on balance insist on being absolute fuckwits, it's their job to enable that within the bounds of the cba, no matter how pants on head stupid it is. i would dearly like the membership to pull their heads out of their asses, but here we are.

Isentropy posted:

^^^
this is my idea as well - I am optimistic but I kinda figure once the kids are back in schools things are gonna go to poo poo. May as well do things at the edge of the risk profile now before you wake up in the third March 2020 on October 15

the schools are plague pits and the one thing we're guaranteed if they return to in-person classes is another huge case spike in students followed by massive community outbreaks. it's about as predictable as the sun coming up. hopefully some of this is mitigated by increasing vaccinations in school age kids, but it might not be fast enough to keep the numbers low

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Aug 21, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Basically we all now have a cost-benefit analysis machine running in our heads at all times.

The libertarian dream!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

i'd hate to misrepresent myself here. i am also a professional computer toucher and i only ride the bus a few days a week, not every day

i'm not happy about the maskless driver thing, but i can't actually be mad at atu 113 about it. if their membership on balance insist on being absolute fuckwits, it's their job to enable that within the bound s of the cba, no matter how pants on head stupid it is.

yeah I get you. I was more thinking about some of my own family members and like how much of a jackass I (professional computer toucher/controls engineer) would come off as for judging them for low risk choices.

and yup. I would have thought 113 would be better given how badly they got rocked in wave 1

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

didn't you already get ravaged by covid?

i'm glad to hear you're feeling comfortable to go out again and being able to chill with a friend helps a lot of things.

yeah i did

and it's loving exhausting still, i think covid has really hosed with me long-term and it loving sucks

but seeing friends is really good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sorry to hear that. i hope it's something that does improve eventually.

Isentropy posted:

and yup. I would have thought 113 would be better given how badly they got rocked in wave 1

i just realized i conflated the recently announced vaccination policy with the "not always wearing a mask on a vehicle is a medical accommodation" thing. not thrilled about either.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Aug 21, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Arivia posted:

yeah i did

and it's loving exhausting still, i think covid has really hosed with me long-term and it loving sucks

but seeing friends is really good

sympathies

still not sure if we had it last year (some docs think yes but it was early enough we couldn’t get tested) but whatever it was i was pretty messed up for months. more than a year later i’d argue there’s still some lingering effects but overall it’s a lot better

i think a nontrivial amount of extended issues for some is dealing with the after effects of having a serious pneumonia and the strain that places on all the rest of the body’s systems, not even counting the direct specific viral side effects

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
frankly i've found i prefer lockdown. at first it gave me a socially acceptable reason to never leave the house. then i realized if i never leave the house i dont need socially acceptable reasons for anything. so i'm thinking of becoming a full time hermit/mystic :cheers:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
drake no: making societal accommodations for the immunocompromised

drake yes: making societal accommodations for the "vaccine hesitant"

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

My step son has spina bifida, is in a wheelchair and cannot have the vaccine. The rest of the kids and family are double vaccinated. My step son needs to socialize and not live in a psychological and real bubble in perpetuity when we've reached vaccine saturation. His desire to be a part of society is greater than the risk to his person, if we at risk all mask up, and follow decent protocols the risk is mitigated. 6 deaths in Canada today and probably around 5 or 6 tomorow as well. Go gently caress yourselves for holding the compromised people hostage so you can loving feel superior. Get over yourselves.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i think the problem with most of you morons is everything is black or white. everything is not a binary choice between being a hermit and living life in a crowd of 100,000, maskless at a bon jovi concert. it would be like if we would still take some reasonable precautions to make sure that kids 0-11 are still somewhat protected during the waning days of pandemic rather than just loving around and finding out.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

mediaphage posted:

i just find it weird (though i shouldn’t since goons do this with literally everything) it’s presented as either killing yourself with pandemic anxiety or pretending like there is no virus

i dunno i’m still not into hanging out inside places where people aren’t going to be masked like a restaurant etc even though i’m vaccinated since we do stuff like hang out with our friends who have a newborn

speaking of, it turns out parents having less exposure to people and picking up less germs is apparently bad for newborns?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/08/new-zealand-children-falling-ill-in-high-numbers-due-to-covid-immunity-debt

New Zealand hospitals are experiencing the payoff of “immunity debt” created by Covid-19 lockdowns, with wards flooded by babies with a potentially-deadly respiratory virus, doctors have warned.

Wellington has 46 children currently hospitalised for respiratory illnesses including respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV. A number are infants, and many are on oxygen. Other hospitals are also experiencing a rise in cases that are straining their resources – with some delaying surgeries or converting playrooms into clinical space.

RSV is a common respiratory illness. In adults, it generally only produces very mild symptoms – but it can make young children extremely ill, or even be fatal. The size and seriousness of New Zealand’s outbreak is likely being fed by what some paediatric doctors have called an “immunity debt” – where people don’t develop immunity to other viruses suppressed by Covid lockdowns, causing cases to explode down the line.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

My step son has spina bifida, is in a wheelchair and cannot have the vaccine. The rest of the kids and family are double vaccinated. My step son needs to socialize and not live in a psychological and real bubble in perpetuity when we've reached vaccine saturation. His desire to be a part of society is greater than the risk to his person, if we at risk all mask up, and follow decent protocols the risk is mitigated. 6 deaths in Canada today and probably around 5 or 6 tomorow as well. Go gently caress yourselves for holding the compromised people hostage so you can loving feel superior. Get over yourselves.

I literally have almost no immune system due to being on metric shitloads of tacrolimus, myfortic and prednisone. I still realize I can't hold an entire country hostage indefinitely so I can feel comfortable going outside.

No one's saying gently caress it all, open er up, but there's a good chance this is as good as it gets for potentially years so people should try to get some level of socialization / normality out of it, given reasonable risk avoidance.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

enki42 posted:

I literally have almost no immune system due to being on metric shitloads of tacrolimus, myfortic and prednisone. I still realize I can't hold an entire country hostage indefinitely so I can feel comfortable going outside.

No one's saying gently caress it all, open er up, but there's a good chance this is as good as it gets for potentially years so people should try to get some level of socialization / normality out of it, given reasonable risk avoidance.

I want society to protect your health, and your place in enjoying it! We really do need to enjoy it while we can.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

I want society to protect your health, and your place in enjoying it! We really do need to enjoy it while we can.

Yeah in all honesty I think everyone in here is assuming that everyone else is an insane exaggerated version of something. For me if people are wearing masks inside, and preferring outside except with close contacts, that seems fine (I'm obviously more careful personally but for the average vaccinated person)

enki42 has issued a correction as of 03:01 on Aug 22, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mila kunis posted:

speaking of, it turns out parents having less exposure to people and picking up less germs is apparently bad for newborns?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/08/new-zealand-children-falling-ill-in-high-numbers-due-to-covid-immunity-debt

New Zealand hospitals are experiencing the payoff of “immunity debt” created by Covid-19 lockdowns, with wards flooded by babies with a potentially-deadly respiratory virus, doctors have warned.

Wellington has 46 children currently hospitalised for respiratory illnesses including respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV. A number are infants, and many are on oxygen. Other hospitals are also experiencing a rise in cases that are straining their resources – with some delaying surgeries or converting playrooms into clinical space.

RSV is a common respiratory illness. In adults, it generally only produces very mild symptoms – but it can make young children extremely ill, or even be fatal. The size and seriousness of New Zealand’s outbreak is likely being fed by what some paediatric doctors have called an “immunity debt” – where people don’t develop immunity to other viruses suppressed by Covid lockdowns, causing cases to explode down the line.

it's not necessarily that it's bad for newborns so much as it's all happening en masse

in somewhat uplifting news, i think moderna is working to head to trials with an mrna rsv vaccine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got vaccinated, I wear a mask inside of public spaces, I wash my hands with antiseptic soap, I work from home...

I want to have fun with my friends outside of online games but I'm staying careful as poo poo.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Father in law got covid from a job site in Alberta but they told him it wasn't covid because if it was they'd have to shut the site down due to too many positive cases since his whole team got it.

Lol just gotta live our lives $$$

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

as usual the thread does not disappoint. nothing will stop our nation’s best and brightest from Living Their Lives

This all started because you're so neurotic you mentioned you would have a panic attack if you ever took mushrooms now because you can't stop thinking about covid for even 1 day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*orders black market "lsd" off a random website*~

~*has a meltdown about being on a socially distanced outdoor patio while fully vaccinated*~