Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah so it's unlikely to get significantly more lethal, but it's just as unlikely to get significantly less lethal and it's also not going anywhere. So the end result is just getting covid and the probability of death or long-term health impacts becomes a fact of life that everyone on the planet has to deal with? Like the cold you get a few times a year except every time you roll the dice for cheese lung? Living past 70 becomes significantly less common, people with compromised immune systems get to measure their remaining lifespan in single-digit years etc. Pretty cool lol.

Only true if you don't wear a respirator and eye protection every moment you're outside your home for the rest of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the reality is that there's no hope

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Substandard posted:

I paid :10bux: in 2007 to join a comedy forum, and now I'm a communist with access to reliable COVID info.

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah so it's unlikely to get significantly more lethal, but it's just as unlikely to get significantly less lethal and it's also not going anywhere. So the end result is just getting covid and the probability of death or long-term health impacts becomes a fact of life that everyone on the planet has to deal with? Like the cold you get a few times a year except every time you roll the dice for cheese lung? Living past 70 becomes significantly less common, people with compromised immune systems get to measure their remaining lifespan in single-digit years etc. Pretty cool lol.

Or the therapeutics get better and you take some pills for a week whenever you pop positive

That'll keep the unvaccinated alive...at some point. But approval for that isn't coming until next year, and who knows how long manufacturing/distribution will take to reach a global scale.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Judakel posted:

i am just trying to give you some hope. I will be wearing my respirator and getting boosters from now on and that's all i can do

Hah yeah I should probably stop doomscrolling and go for a walk or something, all things considered I'm still in a better position than most other people in the world right now. Considering ordering a respirator though, don't think we're going to need them for a while yet here but better to have one now when they're easily available and not try to get one when everone starts panic buying them...

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

External Organs posted:

You ever miss Tu Kaluthia?

Never went there - that county is a place I visit each year but we don't go out to eat a ton, just do little+ big lake stuff and some backcountry

We always hit up thills for whitefish though

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Blackhawk posted:

Honestly not sure on what the end-goal is for covid living in NZ. I'm confident we'll get on top of the current outbreak but it's pretty obvious the rest of the world is just going to keep thrashing around in covid miasma forever. I keep coming back to that chicken disease caused by non-sterilising vaccines with a 100% lethality to non-vaccinated chickens...

Honestly I'd be happy for the country to continue the 'fortress NZ' system indefinitely, with a dedicated quarantine facility in the middle of nowhere that everybody coming from overseas has to go to for a minimum length of time to be tested prior to release into the country. However I just don't see that happening long-term given how a big chunk of the country was built around international tourism in the before-times. What's the alternative though? Open Biden and accept that rates of severe illness and death just go up forever and everyone in the country has to keep getting new vaccines every 6 months which only minimise symptoms?

Seems that unless an actual sterilising vaccine can be developed we're pretty hosed, because even if it swept the planet and everyone got it mutation and re-infection is such that it will never go away. And unlike other diseases that never go away like colds and the flu this one has significantly higher consequences.

I find it interesting that Australian feds are giving up on beating covid while also funding the construction of covid-safe dedicated quarantine facilities in the middle of nowhere close to every big city like you suggested, even though they will take years to build.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Honestly not sure on what the end-goal is for covid living in NZ. I'm confident we'll get on top of the current outbreak but it's pretty obvious the rest of the world is just going to keep thrashing around in covid miasma forever. I keep coming back to that chicken disease caused by non-sterilising vaccines with a 100% lethality to non-vaccinated chickens...

Honestly I'd be happy for the country to continue the 'fortress NZ' system indefinitely, with a dedicated quarantine facility in the middle of nowhere that everybody coming from overseas has to go to for a minimum length of time to be tested prior to release into the country. However I just don't see that happening long-term given how a big chunk of the country was built around international tourism in the before-times. What's the alternative though? Open Biden and accept that rates of severe illness and death just go up forever and everyone in the country has to keep getting new vaccines every 6 months which only minimise symptoms?

Seems that unless an actual sterilising vaccine can be developed we're pretty hosed, because even if it swept the planet and everyone got it mutation and re-infection is such that it will never go away. And unlike other diseases that never go away like colds and the flu this one has significantly higher consequences.

just tax the climate sanctuary seeking billionaires. nz being harder to get in will only make it more desirable for them

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Substandard posted:

I paid :zerobux: in 2000 to join a comedy forum, and now I'm a communist with access to reliable COVID info.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Blackhawk posted:

Hah yeah I should probably stop doomscrolling and go for a walk or something, all things considered I'm still in a better position than most other people in the world right now. Considering ordering a respirator though, don't think we're going to need them for a while yet here but better to have one now when they're easily available and not try to get one when everone starts panic buying them...

get as much suck and gently caress in while you can

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Risutora posted:

just tax the climate sanctuary seeking billionaires. nz being harder to get in will only make it more desirable for them

Yeah a ton of them already have remote farm properties and literal bunkers here, so I hope there's enough desire by capital to keep the place free of pandemics. No point letting your bolt hole country get pozzed as well.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Just got my third dose. Didn't even have to Max Titers it up, either. I found a place that didn't give a poo poo. :woop:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

my genuine recommendation to nzers is to spend as much time as possible with your family and extended family that you care about

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

That might be the most significant one day change I've seen in a month.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dunno why everyone is upset about the idea of having to wear PPE forever, out of control wildfires were going to make that necessary anyway and you can still do the sundress challenge in an HF800 so what's the problem

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
For comparison, here's the Jul 26 one. Less than a month ago

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bastard Tetris posted:

Do I just have a giant head, or are the n95s rubber straps supposed to break after a day’s usage?

The reason why N95 masks have expiration dates is because the elastic in the straps eventually just rot away. I don't think the actual mask material goes bad. You probably got a batch that were expired or close to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

chudlands on fire

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

Well.. the one green Florida county is gone. We are truly hosed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bruce Hussein Daddy, do you have a legend for your maps, like what # each color corresponds to

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

Joementum posted:

just a couple more hours until this super spreader event kicks off

https://twitter.com/RSBNetwork/status/1429152918192730114

lol there are 0 icu beds available in the entire state

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just found out that my personal trainer and her husband are anti-vaxxers. "I'm very healthy person, I live an active lifestyle, I'll be ok!" Thank god we switched to training via Zoom however many months ago.

Edit:
Her daughter goes back to in-person schooling on Tuesday.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Blackhawk posted:

I see only two global scenarios - if the dominant variants trend to higher CFR, long term side effects, and immunity escape, it will woodchipper enough people that there will be a split into highly regulated privileged clades and hotzones (possibly whole countries or even states).

If the variants trend to decreased CFR and side effects, it'll get patched over with vaccines, recovered immunity, boosters and treatments like influenza.

I hope AU and NZ hold on.

I am not an optimist, and I think this dice rolling attitude is going to mean the selection against increased fatality will only happen once scarcity of hosts occurs.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Substandard posted:

Well.. the one green Florida county is gone. We are truly hosed.

it went from green to dark red in one day

seems legit

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26

Florida has completely fallen.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Google Butt posted:

my genuine recommendation to nzers is to spend as much time as possible with your family and extended family that you care about

Both my and my partners families are in Australia lmao. Parents had planned to fly over here in October to visit but they're in Sydney so that's looking extremely unlikely.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Xenos_RIFS/status/1429201815988408320

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah new zeal and is eventually just going to have to get covid

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Bruce Hussein Daddy, do you have a legend for your maps, like what # each color corresponds to

Yeah, it's what covidactnow.org considers ok -> super bad based on #/100k. Here's my county for example:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

guess he was wrong

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Stereotype posted:

guess he was wrong

Nah, he just should have played more X-COM. "95% chance? That's basically guaranteed, so let's... OH YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, it's what covidactnow.org considers ok -> super bad based on #/100k. Here's my county for example:

look at that slope !!!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

lol there are 0 icu beds available in the entire state

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Xcom has ruined statistics for me. they are lies

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

For the last 25 years any time I see corn I recite "hey corn, now we can make whiskey!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

that dipshit also went so far as to find a doctor that would prescribe him ivermectin

guess that didn't work out so well either!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

wow, get this man['s estate] a lottery ticket!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/JenniferMarguli/status/1428934142323040259
Remember back like 2 years ago when the CDC had credibility lol

Americans are disgusting. not pictured here but she’s also wearing shoes indoors, jfc

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

goth smoking cloves posted:

Florida has completely fallen.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

more like I (don’t) cu in these beds anytime soon