Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

Y’all are making me really want to learn to fly fish.
Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LeeMajors posted:

Y’all are making me really want to learn to fly fish.

Its a heck of a lot of fun

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:hmmyes:

Plus you may have trout water closer than you think!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Except if you live in texas.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Sickening posted:

Except if you live in texas.

Except every winter they stock most rivers with rainbow trout.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Valt posted:

Except every winter they stock most rivers with rainbow trout.

The fish last for like a week and its a total shitshow. Huge crowds come out the day they are stocked, fish straight from the fish hatchery just get quickly caught or just die. Crowds are shoulder to shoulder , moving to each stocking location.

Trout stocking in texas is a huge waste of time, money, and resources.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

The fish last for like a week and its a total shitshow. Huge crowds come out the day they are stocked, fish straight from the fish hatchery just get quickly caught or just die. Crowds are shoulder to shoulder , moving to each stocking location.

Can confirm.

Depending where you are in the vast lands of Texas your best bet is probably the Broken Bow/Beaver's Bend area in Oklahoma...which, as it happens, is some of the most beautiful and fun trout water in the country.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Can confirm.

Depending where you are in the vast lands of Texas your best bet is probably the Broken Bow/Beaver's Bend area in Oklahoma...which, as it happens, is some of the most beautiful and fun trout water in the country.

Now that I can agree with. There is also the Tishamingo nature reserve which has trout for a good portion of the year, depending on how hot summer is.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sickening posted:

Virginia does this type of stocking, but they pay for it with a special trout stamp that you need to fish stocked waters (you can fish natural/unstocked trout without the stamp). It's great, because the program is funded 100% by the people who use it, and it concentrates the assholes in their own little playground.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

perhaps the people that like trout aren't necessarily assholes and the state should find a better place to let them go?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

perhaps the people that like trout aren't necessarily assholes and the state should find a better place to let them go?
Most people who like trout aren't assholes, but some assholes do like trout too, and they tend to prefer certain less-than-sporting methods. The state finds plenty of ways to let trout go, but it also publicly posts some of the ways it lets trout go, and chooses locations that otherwise would have no trout at all when it does so in this manner. These are all good things for people who prefer a more natural experience.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

That is more of the issue. There is like one tiny stretch of river by Austin that can even hold the fish year round (its like 1 mile long in a very dense population area). Every other place in the state is just too hot, too still, or whatever else that kills trout. So any fish you release won't be able to reproduce or survive at all for more than a few weeks. This state just never had the climate to have trout. We are continuing this nonsense due to stubbornness in the state government.

There are plenty of other opportunities to support fishing in the state where the money could be better spent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

King of Bees posted:

Its a heck of a lot of fun

waffle enthusiast posted:

What species can you target with flyfishing? Here there are lots of coastal guys who fly fish the flats for redfish but I'd be primarily on a bank. I don't think we have any trout streams or lakes within a couple hours up in the upstate mountains.

Bream/bass strike on flies?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

What species can you target with flyfishing? Here there are lots of coastal guys who fly fish the flats for redfish but I'd be primarily on a bank. I don't think we have any trout streams or lakes within a couple hours up in the upstate mountains.

See all the posts on the last page about bass and bream on the popping bug. Absolutely yes they do. A fly rod with a popping bug is the best way to fish a farm or golf course pond. So much fun!

You can also target shad and stripes when they run in the rivers in the spring. White bass and rock bass in the smaller rivers year round.

But really, largemouth bass pond fishing is enough of a reason by itself to buy a fly rod.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LeeMajors posted:

Do they ever. On a fly rod its a whole different experience

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

See all the posts on the last page about bass and bream on the popping bug. Absolutely yes they do. A fly rod with a popping bug is the best way to fish a farm or golf course pond. So much fun!

You can also target shad and stripes when they run in the rivers in the spring. White bass and rock bass in the smaller rivers year round.

But really, largemouth bass pond fishing is enough of a reason by itself to buy a fly rod.

I remember you mentioning the popping bugs a few pages back when I posted a few bass--I just didn't know if it was versatile enough to fish year round from banks since most of our rivers are deep, slow moving rivers full of catfish and gators and slowly trickle into brack water.

If it was not something I could do frequently and effectively I wasn't sure it'd be a good investment, but gently caress it--I may just go for it.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I lurk this thread as a spin and fly fish in the midatlantic and yes good lord yes do I fish for bream and bass with a fly rod. Fish for nearly anything with a fly rod. Fact I just bought a rod just for smallmouth. I fish for trout too

Get an Orvis Encounter setup if you want something decent to start out with. 5 wt 9 foot sorta thing, good all around rod for whoever above was looking for a beginner setups. I'm sure there are others but I have an Orvis shop nearby so thats what I know

One thing I like about fly fishing is that if you get a strike, you just whip the line out of the water and within literally seconds you're casting back in that same spot. You dont have to speed reel your stuff in, cast, and pull to the same spot.

I wanna get me a snakehead on a fly rod :unsmigghh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ugh I’m totally going to buy an encounter and learn how to fly fish now.

I can’t wait.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I remember you mentioning the popping bugs a few pages back when I posted a few bass--I just didn't know if it was versatile enough to fish year round from banks since most of our rivers are deep, slow moving rivers full of catfish and gators and slowly trickle into brack water.

If it was not something I could do frequently and effectively I wasn't sure it'd be a good investment, but gently caress it--I may just go for it.
Flyfishing a river from the bank in SC is going to be really hard, because there's generally going to be no back cast. Unless its shallow enough to wade down the middle. Farm and subdivision ponds are definitely worth getting a fly rod for, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Flyfishing a river from the bank in SC is going to be really hard, because there's generally going to be no back cast. Unless its shallow enough to wade down the middle. Farm and subdivision ponds are definitely worth getting a fly rod for, though.

Yeah that’s a problem but the coast is full of flats and small ponds for bass and bream fishing so maybe it really is just the most fun way to do it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m not sure how much longer I can hold out from buying a 10’ 3wt.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
You nymphin or just slayin breeyums?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

How do you reel in a fly rod? Is it just like a regular fishing pole? All the videos I see show it never really being used since it seems like you just pull all the slack line down and then cast the fly back out. What happens when you hook a fish though? Is there drag or do you just grab the line with your fingers and hope it doesn’t burn the poo poo out of your hand?

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
Fly reels pick up line a lot slower than spinning or casting reels due to not having any geared advantage.

With small to moderate sized stuff like sunfish, trout and bass, it's easier to directly pull and strip in the line, as opposed to bringing it in using the reel. You likely won't need to use the reel's drag to protect the tippet, or to tire the fish enough to be landed. Also, if the fish decides to take a run towards you a fly reel can be too slow to take up the slack.

With larger fish you'll want to get them on the reel and fight them using the reel's drag. If you have any slack at the reel, you have to feed it back out as the fish runs. This could potentially cause a friction burn. I've known several people who fish with those half finger gloves because of this.

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Aug 20, 2021

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

it must be fun, because the more I read about fly fishing the less I want to do it

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hekk posted:

How do you reel in a fly rod? Is it just like a regular fishing pole? All the videos I see show it never really being used since it seems like you just pull all the slack line down and then cast the fly back out. What happens when you hook a fish though? Is there drag or do you just grab the line with your fingers and hope it doesn’t burn the poo poo out of your hand?
You generally just pull the fish in by stripping the line through the guides. Fly line has a big enough diameter that it won't burn your hands.

For big fish, you fight them on the reel. If you're targeting big fish, you use a large arbor reel to make up for not having a gear ratio, and palm the reel to apply drag.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

it must be fun, because the more I read about fly fishing the less I want to do it
It attracts a certain type. If you're not that type, it'll seem like a lot of fuss for not much payoff. And that's a perfectly valid opinion on fly fishing. It scratches an itch that's really hard to scratch in other ways, though.

Some nostalgic and creative types have attached a lot of woo to fly fishing also, which is a big turn-off to some people. Feel free to ignore the woo if its not your jam.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I second this. I started fly fishing only because I ended up settling in a place that is fly fishing heavy (some streams are fly / stocked trout / catch and release only) so it was a "when in Rome" situation for me.

I've come to really enjoy it , and as others have stated, if you can get presentation and drift right, you can do pretty well. I match hatches as much as I can, but most times I have little idea of what I'm doing and just go for it.

You can spend a lot of money quickly, of course, as some of the Orvis, Filson, and other associated brands get expensive. Rather than spending $ on a fly fishing sling, I bought a used camelbak sling at a secondhand store for $5 and put a fly patch on it.

Waders do help, but you can use waders for spin fishing too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Planet X posted:

You nymphin or just slayin breeyums?

Nymphing. I frequently fish pocket water and am partial to the idea of being able to control drift/depth better, as well as not having a ton of terminal tackle on the line; indicators, split shot, etc.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

atlas barfed posted:

Fly reels pick up line a lot slower than spinning or casting reels due to not having any geared advantage.

With small to moderate sized stuff like sunfish, trout and bass, it's easier to directly pull and strip in the line, as opposed to bringing it in using the reel. You likely won't need to use the reel's drag to protect the tippet, or to tire the fish enough to be landed. Also, if the fish decides to take a run towards you a fly reel can be too slow to take up the slack.

With larger fish you'll want to get them on the reel and fight them using the reel's drag. If you have any slack at the reel, you have to feed it back out as the fish runs. This could potentially cause a friction burn. I've known several people who fish with those half finger gloves because of this.

You can buy stripping guards specifically for this purpose. They are like 5 bucks for a pack of 5 or something. I have started always bringing them with me since I tend to fish a lot of streamers so I am constantly stripping. If you are catching of a lot of fish it helps from getting your finger burnt as well.

Speaking of which I brought my 5wt to the river yesterday because I was going to throw my Game Changer fly. Which is really hard to throw with the 3wt. I ended up not getting any bites on that so I switched over to a bait fish imitation streamer and immediately started catching small bass. I managed to catch a decent sized white bass which I thought was strange since I have never seen one of those in this stretch of the river.

Valt fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 20, 2021

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
When im fishing a pond or beach i like to fish streamers thusly: I visualize a half clock face with 12 o'clock directly in front of me and cast to one side of it (call it the 9 o'clock) along the bank. Instead of stripping the line in I just roll cast to each number on the clock until i reach 3. Then i adjust and start over. The fish will hit on the roll cast retrieve. It works pretty drat well and covers a lot of water fast.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Been hard to find water to fish out here that isn’t a goddamned boat only area.

Also, red tide. :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

Been hard to find water to fish out here that isn’t a goddamned boat only area.

Also, red tide. :smith:

Wait, I have heard of it the other way around... but who the gently caress designated boats only?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Sickening posted:

Wait, I have heard of it the other way around... but who the gently caress designated boats only?
Probably due to the topography and lack of public waterfront access - my assumption is lots of mangroves which require a boat to navigate vs just walking shoreline.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Maybe protected wetlands around the shore?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

charliebravo77 posted:

Probably due to the topography and lack of public waterfront access - my assumption is lots of mangroves which require a boat to navigate vs just walking shoreline.

Lack of places to put in. A lot of mangrove here. I could try a launch but gently caress the masses of trump/MAGA boaters here.

I wish there was a nice secluded spot nearby I could launch a kayak and just paddle around and fish.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hi friends! Got a wild hair and just bought a CO fishing license. I'm in west Denver. Wanna go out and goof a bit. I don't have any fishing friends in the area so this is a solo endeavor.

What i think i want to start out with: shore fishing in our reservoirs and lakes in the Denver/Colorado Springs / Ft. Collins corridor.
What kind of fish do i want to catch: the kinds that live in water and have fins. No pref.
My experience level: Eh... 2/10? I can cast okay and used to go out with my dad but i've never really made it a thing.
Budget: I *can* spend basically any amount, i am a tech bro, but i am also notoriously thrifty and would like to have some success with $100 or so of gear before I start Throwing Money at it.

I'm gonna go watch some youtubes this weekend to get my bearings, but would appreciate gear guidance as well as general tips - do I want to go out early mornings? afternoons? stuff like that.

Also would like guidance on how much of this stuff I can get on Amazon or other online shops. I take pandemic very seriously and would like to keep my store time to a minimum.

Would it be smart to get two rod setups? I see a lot of 101 videos suggesting a small 4lb setup and maybe something with 10-15 test for larger fish.

Initial back of napkin shopping list: rod(s) and reel(s), line (i assume any stock line loaded on a low end reel is crap?), hooks, sinkers, bobbers, swivels, maybe some spinners, then buy worms the morning of.

Appreciate any and all guidance, thanks friends, i'm looking forward to this.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

You can buy literally everything you need online but for some items it looks like you're paying a premium for the pleasure. An ugly stik gx2 combo goes for about $35 - 40 locally but it's $49.99 on Amazon.

It's pretty hard to go wrong here honestly. There are a ton of rods in the $20 - 40 range and spinning reels in the $25 - 60 range that are good for beginners and will last for a very long time. One of the upsides to cheap rods is that they are much more durable than expensive rods but it comes at the cost of sensitivity.

Basically any 6 1/2 or 7' medium rod and 250 or 300 size reel is a useful all-around setup that will handle just about any freshwater fish you're likely to catch.

Avoid zebco spin casters. As far as inexpensive reels go i personally like the abu garcia silvermax and the pflueger trion. Either should run you about thirty bucks, or at least they did pre-pandemic.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

titties posted:

Avoid zebco spin casters.

boo this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Gonna go with a 6-7' medium rod with spinning reel to start, I think.

are the 273 in one starter tackle kits worth a poo poo, or is it the screwdriver bit situation where 98% of them are just in there for piece count? maybe better to buy 100 hooks / sinkers / etc and stitch together a kit?

The floppy hat has already been ordered (i burn easily)