Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Drone posted:

Putting together some rough plans for a vacation next spring [...] bearing in mind that the purpose of the trip isn't just to have a cool vacation, but also to potentially scope out places to live:

• Fly from Frankfurt to Copenhagen, stay there for... idk, 4 nights? 5? What's a good amount of time to spend in Copenhagen, assuming we'll also take a day trip over to Malmö because why not? This is probably the most purely "vacation" leg of the trip, as we don't really want to move to Copenhagen... it just sounded like a logical first place to start, and also we'd like to visit as normal tourists.
  • Rent a car in Copenhagen on the last day when we're ready to leave (under the condition that I'll be able to return that car to the rental service anywhere in the country and don't have to take it back to that specific branch in Copenhagen... I assume this is doable with services like Sixt, etc.). Driving is preferred because it lets us get a little off the beaten path of train routes, in case we want to look at smaller towns for possible future home ownership.
  • Drive to Odense, spend X amount of nights there, using Odense as a base to kinda explore the island of Funen in general. Outside of Copenhagen, I really have no idea what a decent amount of time in each of these cities is given none of them are particularly huge... like 2-3 nights each maybe?
  • Drive to Aarhus, do the same. Probably 2-3 nights again I guess? Check out the city, use it as a base to check out the east coast of Jutland. We have a friend here we'd visit, so it wouldn't be 100% just looking at stuff and being touristy.
  • Drive to Aalborg, do the same. Again, we have a friend here to visit, probably also 2-3 nights. Use the city as a base to check out north Jutland.
  • Drive to Esbjerg, same deal here too, check out the west coast. Day trip to Wadden Sea/Ribe.
  • Drive to Billund on the last morning. Go to Legoland. Return car at the airport (is this even possible?), then fly back to Frankfurt in the evening, and vacation is over.

Is this too much/too little? Anything that could be skipped or reasonably combined, given most of the cities are relatively close together? The goal is to see a good amount of the country so that we can decide which region to focus our attention on when it comes time to move, but also like... I dunno how samey a lot of these smaller cities are going to be. Aarhus and Aalborg are probably quite similar but we have friends in both that we'd like to visit so :shrug:.

Edit: or for Jutland would it make sense to just have the hotel in one reasonably central city and use that to branch out on day trips?

Overall, I think your itinerary looks fine. The trip from Aalborg to Esbjerg looks to be the longest, I think it will be 3-4 hours driving, so perhaps you could set off an extra day in Esbjerg.

For the individual localities, the designated times also look okay: I don't have the big experience with Copenhagen, but I'm sure you can easily spend 4-5 days there for tourist attractions. Off the top of my head there's a lot of museums, there's Tivoli, etc.

For the other places, yeah 2-3 days is probably fine, although it depends a little on where you want to go/how many hours each day you're willing to drive. The highwaynet in Jutland is mostly centered on the east coast, so if you're thinking of roaming westwards you're mostly looking at roads where the speed limit is 80-90km/h.

For that same reason I would not recommend you set up in a central city. Even if you're going to keep to the highway, the travel time from Aarhus to Aalborg can easily be 2 hours.

I checked up on car rental services, and Avis has an office at Billund airport. So you can probably leave your rental there(?)

A thing to consider for living here is that travel times can be a bit longer than you're used to in Germany. The speed limit on the highways is 110-130 km/h, and they are not evenly distributed in the country. We don't have a highspeed railway set up yet, and I just checked the travel time with train from Aalborg to the German border at Flensburg - it's 4 hours. If you've got relatives near Frankfurt that you want to visit regularly you may want to take that into consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Just got back from a weeklong road trip in Iceland. It was a lot of fun. It seems COVID is over for people there, I was the only one wearing a mask at all at indoor spaces (except for the Costco employees). They've been cutting back on where you can even get a COVID test outside of Reykjavik since they don't even need them.

Scheduling a rapid antigen test near the airport 2 days in advance of the flight to get back to the US worked pretty effectively for me. There were still a handful of tourists who I saw get turned back at the start of the check-in line for not having gotten a negative test within 3 days of the flight. You still need one even if you're vaccinated! I have no idea when this restriction is going to get lifted in the US so if you're planning an itinerary or have flights booked, make sure you've got a testing site located and that you can get your results in time for the flight.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

Bretagne is a loooooooooooong drive from Switzerland, though it technically is doable in a day. My mom's brother used to rent a place in Brittany every year for their family, and a few times we went over with them and so I've spent a lot of time on the beach there. You're right that the inland honestly isn't that nice, and I'd probably pick the Med over Brittany for what you're after. You could also consider the Biarritz to Bordeaux part of the Atlantic coast which would probably be a little bit less busy (I hear the area around the giant sand dune is super nice). On the Mediterranean you could do things like visit the salt flats at Aigue Mortes, things that aren't QUITE as popular as just sitting on the beach with everyone else.

If it were me, I'd do a trip that more or less follows the Pyrenees between the Meditteranean and the Atlantic. Fewer people but still tons of great stuff to see, some of the coolest nature in France, awesome weather, cute villages, and water.

We ended up going to the Loire valley for 6 days (this part was kind of locked in), Normandy for 3, and the St Malo area for 4 - and I'm glad I didn't spend more time in Brittany to be honest, and probably should have subbed in Bordeaux instead as you suggested. The St Malo area is lovely, but the type of lovely where if it was near your home it would be amazing, not the kind of lovely you'd drive 9 hours to get to. The weather there is just as unpredictable and typically-bad as south of England, and I can see why wealthy Brits abandoned Dinard in the 1930s in favor of Cote d'Azur as soon as airplane travel became common/easy. Brittany - at least near St Malo - is about as good of a beach resort destination as Edinburgh. Like yeah they have beaches but the weather is never more than 19°C and it's constantly raining. (I did know this going in; I wasn't there for the beach but can't understand why there were people who go there for the beach.)

Still, very glad to have seen Mont Saint Michel, especially this year when the crowds were merely "busy" and not "packed wall to wall", and St Malo is really a gorgeous town even if it has been overwhelmed by tourists and turned into essentially a model Disney World location, like Venice.

The tides near St Malo were also utterly amazing. I've been to Bay of Fundy and a couple other places with crazy tides, but the area around St Malo was so much more striking since there are cities and stuff there.

webmeister posted:

You may already know this, but be aware that if you're planning a French road trip, the freeways are surprisingly heavily tolled -

Also as an aside to this: the French added contactless card payment to their autoroute system within the past couple years - they had signs up many places so presumably post-COVID - which is a huuuuuge help for the goddamn toll booths, as you don't have to dick around with getting €12.70 in change or trying to stretch out of your car to use the credit card readers.

I can only hope this reduces the massive traffic jams going south of Paris next week for the annual migration of Parisians to the Mediterranean. I've taken the autoroute on the 'wrong' way a couple times during those mass migrations, and lol there are sometimes like 1hr+ queues at every single peage station, such that it is often the same speed as taking back roads, but with the benefit of paying €2/10km for the experience. We drove Rouen to Paris this week which was around €10 and passed 3!! mandatory toll booths in an hour.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 30, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cerious posted:

Just got back from a weeklong road trip in Iceland. It was a lot of fun. It seems COVID is over for people there, I was the only one wearing a mask at all at indoor spaces (except for the Costco employees). They've been cutting back on where you can even get a COVID test outside of Reykjavik since they don't even need them.

Scheduling a rapid antigen test near the airport 2 days in advance of the flight to get back to the US worked pretty effectively for me. There were still a handful of tourists who I saw get turned back at the start of the check-in line for not having gotten a negative test within 3 days of the flight. You still need one even if you're vaccinated! I have no idea when this restriction is going to get lifted in the US so if you're planning an itinerary or have flights booked, make sure you've got a testing site located and that you can get your results in time for the flight.
All the covid situation seems to be changing...

Anyways, how was it otherwise? Did you do the usual ring tour?

Anyone been to Iceland during October? I like that it's off-season and historically it doesn't seem to be that much rainier than othe months, but I've no idea how that feels to be there in practice. Somethimg like +3C and drizzling is like the most miserable weather we have here in late fall/winter.

MagicCube posted:

Thanks all for the suggestions on Austria and Slovenia. Much appreciated!

Postojna was my initial choice because its much closer to Predjama Castle which is on my list. Unfortunately, it looks like it's closed for renovations so it might just be a quick stop to see it and then head to Skocjan.

Had thought about the Eagle's Nest too, but my last Europe trip including Nuremburg and Dachau and I've burned myself out on Nazi/WW2 history for the time being. Looking at Werfen and Eisriesenwelt now, but feel like this trip is looking a little cave-heavy! Would love to see Innsbruck too, but not sure if I'll be able to on this trip - might be better to save for a winter one anyways/

As far as I know, there isn't much Nazi poo poo up tpqt the eagles nest, but you should get a great view. And/or you can visit Koenigsee nearby. It's a lovely location and if you have a few hours to spare, there's a boat tour. Salzburg is close by too.

Hallsatatt was pretty much empty in July. It's certainly lovely but having seen a ton of cute European villages, not particularly mind-blowing.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 12, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I just booked a 7-day trip to Portugal because I got a good deal on airfare. Right now, I’m leaning towards 3 days in Lisbon and 4 days in the Algarve area. I’d love any recommendations, especially for museums, hiking, or just things that aren’t on the standard tourist list.

I’m really undecided on whether to take a day to visit Sintra and maybe cut a day off the Algarve time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Omerta posted:

take a day to visit Sintra

Do it.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

All the covid situation seems to be changing...

Anyways, how was it otherwise? Did you do the usual ring tour?

Actually I didn't do the ring tour. Initially when I was planning the trip there were the 1-day quarantine restrictions in place, so it would have been really tight trying to squeeze the whole ring road into a 6-7 day trip. They lifted it by the time I went, so I then had an extra day, but it was still nice to be able to go a little slower.

We spent the first day in Reykjavik, then 2 days in the Snaefellsnes peninsula, 2 more days in the Westfjords, 1 day going back to the Golden Circle, and a final day at the Southern coast going all the way to Jokulsarlon. It gave my friend and I plenty of time to hit up a couple of really nice hikes, go do some sightseeing, and visit places that aren't super-flooded with ring road tourists. Especially the Westfjords, which was super impressive to drive around. It was great being able to cut down total driving time and just focus on a few select destinations that we could spend a lot of time at, instead of having to be rushing from point to point to make it back on time.

Also, going in July really helped with how long the days were.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cerious posted:

Actually I didn't do the ring tour. Initially when I was planning the trip there were the 1-day quarantine restrictions in place, so it would have been really tight trying to squeeze the whole ring road into a 6-7 day trip. They lifted it by the time I went, so I then had an extra day, but it was still nice to be able to go a little slower.

We spent the first day in Reykjavik, then 2 days in the Snaefellsnes peninsula, 2 more days in the Westfjords, 1 day going back to the Golden Circle, and a final day at the Southern coast going all the way to Jokulsarlon. It gave my friend and I plenty of time to hit up a couple of really nice hikes, go do some sightseeing, and visit places that aren't super-flooded with ring road tourists. Especially the Westfjords, which was super impressive to drive around. It was great being able to cut down total driving time and just focus on a few select destinations that we could spend a lot of time at, instead of having to be rushing from point to point to make it back on time.

Also, going in July really helped with how long the days were.

Thanks! I just went yolo and just got the tickets for October 2nd. Daylight should be still ok at the beginning of the month, so as long as it's not raining 24/7 I hope to have enough time to hit the ring road and and maybe the golden circle once we're back. Good suggestion with the Westfjords, that's something I haven't even considered.

Also wizzair had a flight to Malta 10 hours after I'll return from this so I bought that too for 18EUR lol. Never been there either and this should give me a chance to warm up at least.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Hey guys! We're considering spending a prolonged weekend at the end of October with my better half in southern Europe, and we were hesitating between Lisbon and Sevilla. Which would have a better climate, and which more things to do? Given that we basically like to stroll around a lot, visit one thing or two, have a few drinks and eat good stuff. Thanks!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Hey guys! We're considering spending a prolonged weekend at the end of October with my better half in southern Europe, and we were hesitating between Lisbon and Sevilla. Which would have a better climate, and which more things to do? Given that we basically like to stroll around a lot, visit one thing or two, have a few drinks and eat good stuff. Thanks!

For such a short period of time and such general interests, then both would fit your bill. Lisbon certainly has a lot more going for it, but if it's just a long weekend then you can "do" Seville whereas Lisbon it would just be a rushed visit. My wife and I went to Seville for a 4 day weekend trip a couple years ago and it was a nice early December getaway, and we got to feel like we saw all of Seville and enjoyed it at a relaxed pace, and we didn't go outside except once to go to some Game of Thrones filming site (the ruined colosseum where Dragonlady brings the undead monster to Evilqueen in the next-to-last season). I guess Seville probably has better weather than Lisbon that time of year but should be nice in both.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Omerta posted:

I just booked a 7-day trip to Portugal because I got a good deal on airfare. Right now, I’m leaning towards 3 days in Lisbon and 4 days in the Algarve area. I’d love any recommendations, especially for museums, hiking, or just things that aren’t on the standard tourist list.

I’m really undecided on whether to take a day to visit Sintra and maybe cut a day off the Algarve time.

Sintra is great, go there

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! I just went yolo and just got the tickets for October 2nd. Daylight should be still ok at the beginning of the month, so as long as it's not raining 24/7 I hope to have enough time to hit the ring road and and maybe the golden circle once we're back. Good suggestion with the Westfjords, that's something I haven't even considered.

Also wizzair had a flight to Malta 10 hours after I'll return from this so I bought that too for 18EUR lol. Never been there either and this should give me a chance to warm up at least.

If I were you I'd skip the golden circle completely and spend more time on the ring road. It's basically just alright, I think the reason it gets a lot of attention is that it's very close and accessible from the capital, so people with shorter itineraries can still visit some areas of it. They're still great places but I think if you do it after the ring road you'll be slightly underwhelmed. We liked it but if we had to rank all the places we went to, that one would've been the lowest.

Try the Glymur Falls hike if you like hiking and are in that area instead, it's great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cerious posted:

If I were you I'd skip the golden circle completely and spend more time on the ring road. It's basically just alright, I think the reason it gets a lot of attention is that it's very close and accessible from the capital, so people with shorter itineraries can still visit some areas of it. They're still great places but I think if you do it after the ring road you'll be slightly underwhelmed. We liked it but if we had to rank all the places we went to, that one would've been the lowest.

Try the Glymur Falls hike if you like hiking and are in that area instead, it's great.

Thanks, that's kind of why I wanted to leave it for the end, but if it's lame then it's definitely better to spend more time elsewhere!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, that's kind of why I wanted to leave it for the end, but if it's lame then it's definitely better to spend more time elsewhere!

We did the Golden Circle first on arrival in Iceland and liked it a lot, but in retrospect it was like a 3/10 in terms of Icelandic scenery, which in general is a 10/10 for uniqueness. The eponymous Geysir (with a capital "g") is pretty neat and as far as I can remember it is the only geyser in Iceland (?), but yeah everything else on the Golden Circle route is just "okay". Gulfoss was neat but only because it was the first Icelandic waterfall we went to. I think all of those sites might be better when you visit as they will, probably, not be utterly packed to the gills with people like they are in summer. Thingvellir is lame and even as a "first thing we did on arrival" it was lame, unless you like bogs. I know it has unique history to it, and it's cool that it sits at the rift of America and Europe, but you don't really appreciate it while you're on the spot tbh, or at least I didn't. Maybe I expected the rift to be more dramatic and not just like a tiny canyon (ref: see pictures on Wikipedia).

There are a lot of other amazing highlights that are not too far out from Reykjavik, e.g. Seljalandsfoss. When we went, in June 2016, there were tons of people everywhere the entire way on the south coast from Reykjavik to Vik, then a few more people as far as Jokulsarlon and Hofn, and then almost no one on the entire rest of the way counterclockwise between Hofn (southeast) and Snaefellsnes (the big peninsula just north of Reykjavik peninsula). You could spend easily 3 days going from Reyjkavik to Jokulsarlon and back. That unfortunately requires backtracking, but driving on the same road in two different directions is appreciably different IMHO. If you're an adventurous driver and confident in crossing small streams and river -- someone will want to ford them by foot before you cross -- then you could also go back a different way through the interior, as the interior roads will likely all still be open when you go. Make sure to get a 4x4 with high clearance, or at least medium clearance. We rented a Dacia Duster when we went, and that was fine for the handful of river crossings we did. Iceland has put a lot of effort into making bridges even on the smaller "F" roads but I'm sure they don't have them everywhere yet and Iceland has a metric gently caress ton of rivers, which should be at pretty much their minimum level at that time of year. Still, be careful.

We took something like 10 days to do the ring road + 1 day in Reyjkavik on either side, and that was just barely enough time to do it without being too rushed, and that was in June with infinite daylight hours for driving and two drivers.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 18, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Sintra is great, go there

Thanks, we are! Sintra —> Lisbon —> Algarve —> Lisbon is the plan.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Saladman posted:

The eponymous Geysir (with a capital "g") is pretty neat and as far as I can remember it is the only geyser in Iceland (?)

There are 26 active geysers in Iceland. The Great Geysir just used to be the largest.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If we had 8 days in Spain, how would you guys split Madrid/Seville?

Edit: welp, American canceled our flight, so now we have to decide whether we want to go somewhere domestic instead.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 22, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How does traveling to Europe actually work now? I have my covid card, I've been vaccinated but is that all I need for evidence of vaccination?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How does traveling to Europe actually work now? I have my covid card, I've been vaccinated but is that all I need for evidence of vaccination?

You should check the entry rules for each specific county. Travel writing the Schengen Area is allowed for everyone as long as you are double vaccinated, but for people coming from outside there are some extra hoops you need to jump through, which vary depending on the country you travel to (and also which country you're coming from).

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'm looking for some advice regarding a trip we'd like to plan.

First off, we are from Belgium, fully vaccinated, and haven't travelled at all during the pandemic. Normally we really like to travel, do city trips/road trips/other types of vacations and hence we enjoy luxury accomodations, cultural activities (musea, cities), nice calm walks, are real foodies (experimental, authentic, fine dining, etc), some mild adventure, etc. We'd like to try to travel again and looking for the best locations to go since Covid is still not beaten. Hence we were thinking cities/cultural activities are best avoided, and long-distance travel as well. Looking at https://reopen.europa.eu/en Madeira seemed a good choice (Malta is more city-like and the North probably too cold) and are looking for some advice.

[1] How is Madeira with regard to the pandemic? Vaccination, covid cases, measures, safety protocols and so on [2] Is it a good idea to travel to Madeira? Do you think that still will be the case in late October/early November [3] How is Madeira from an acitvity point of view? What to do, where to do, etc [4] How is Madeira from a luxury point of view? Good hotels, resorts, fine dining... [5] How is Madeira from a gastronomy/foodie point of view? We really like authentic cuisine (our trip to Lisbon for instance was great, first time I ate risotto made with chicken's blood!) [6] How is Madeira in late October/early November? Climate, closed down, amount of other tourists, etc.

Thank you for your time so far. We'd appreciate any and all advice!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I guess I should share this here.

I spent the last week in Rennes, France and surroundings. It was a fun trip.

Corona-wise, everything seemed fine. The rules in France are stricter than here - facemasks are required in all indoor public places and strongly recommended in many crowded outdoor places. And every museum, cafe, restaurant, whatever checks your "Pass Sanitaire" which is the European QR code that is proof of vaccination or a recent negative test. It wasn't much of a hassle, after a day or two you just remember to get the QR out on your phone before you enter any place.

I made some nice daytrips to Mont St. Michel and St-Malo. And of course I had some good crepes and galettes and drank cider from a soup bowl as is custom there.

The only thing I regret is going there by public transport. Switching between long-distance trains in Paris is a horrible mess because you have to take a metro from one station to another which takes a long time, especially if you consider the long length of underground corridors from the metro station to the train station (Montparnasse). On the way back I was forced to get an Uber because the line was down entirely for maintenance and I didn't have enough time to make the switch by using some other connection.

Worse than that though, was the lack of good public transport in Bretagne (Brittany) itself. Yes, the trains and buses are in a good state and run on schedule. The problem is that their schedule is so limited - often only 2 or 3 trips per day to any place (early morning, just before noon and in the evening), and if you need to connect to another bus somewhere, good effing luck. Quite a bit worse than I've experienced in other places I've been in Europe.

Travelling green is nice and all, but yeah, if you want to go to Brittany, you're better off bringing a car.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Bretagne (Brittany)

I wonder if Soviet Commubot still posts.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Paris definitely has some of the worst rail changes around. I don't think I've ever done one which hasn't required a taxi or a very unpleasant journey carrying luggage down long, stair filled tunnels.

If we're changing from SNCF to Eurostar we try to go via Lille instead, as even if it's a little longer the stations are right next to each other and are both easy to get around.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The great thing about Paris is that taxis are also much slower than the metro

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I’m currently in Austria and was just in Slovenia and Italy last week so I can speak to them. Ontario gave us a flimsy piece of paper and a PDF certificate. I’ve been showing the paper certificate wherever needed and have had no issues so far. Basically I’ve just been pointing out where it says Pfizer and 2 doses and that’s all anyone has needed to see.

Italy and Austria have been very strict about seeing it in museums, attractions and restaurants whereas nobody asked for it at all in Slovenia.

Flying in was fairly straightforward. I connected in Portugal on my way to Italy so I needed to show a negative test which was a bit annoying because I had to pay for it even though I’m fully vaccinated, but the cheap flight made up for it. Funnily enough there was no check at my final destination because it was a Schengen flight. Could probably see that being taken advantage of, but oh well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

If we had 8 days in Spain, how would you guys split Madrid/Seville?

Edit: welp, American canceled our flight, so now we have to decide whether we want to go somewhere domestic instead.

Wife and I decided that a week long Euro-trip right now is probably not a great look, especially as we're both in healthcare.

Maybe next year? :sigh:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

It's pretty easy now for most nationalities to enter Europe -- all (or nearly all?) Schengen and EU countries have reopened for tourism and you often just need a COVID vaccination certificate, for which the flimsy CDC or Canadian-CDC cards are fine; it's not like the European ones are really any better (yeah they have a QR code, but if you corrupt the QR code and it doesn't scan correctly, you'll be let in everywhere anyway with a quick glance at your printed out details). Some countries also require a COVID test even if you're vaccinated, in which case I think the rapid antigen tests are always accepted. Basically you have to do more legwork than usual to find the specific rules – probably best to ask on TripAdvisor but people here will know for some countries. Once you're in the country, then AFAIK most everything in Europe is basically normal unless you want to go to a club or huge concert or something. You'll have to flash your CDC card and wear a mask, but museums and shopping and restaurants and bars and whatever are open everywhere.

But... I wouldn't book anything more than a couple weeks in advance though and TBH I'd probably look at a vacation destination closer to home that was more sure to not shut down, like either domestic travel or going to Mexico or whatever. Many countries in Europe now have either had their fourth surge and have seemingly reached a plateau (UK, France) similar to how the US is now seemingly plateaued at around 150k/day, and the countries that thus-far have been doing well like Germany are now surging and will probably be in the same situation. But, despite numbers being about 60-70% of the 2021 winter peak, hospitalizations are only around 10-20% of the peak.

I normally travel quite a bit but I haven't been outside of the Schengen zone in almost 2 years except for a trip to Turkey back in April at the height of their outbreak, a trip which I booked like 4 weeks before when they were at still quite low case numbers. Europe has been pretty easy since July 1 when the vaccine passports came out, but that could change if hospitalizations do end up increasing, which doesn't seem to be the case but I wouldn't bet a several-thousand-dollar non-refundable vacation on it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

All the EU countries specific rules are listed on this page, which is regularly updated: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Saladman posted:

It's pretty easy now for most nationalities to enter Europe -- all (or nearly all?) Schengen and EU countries have reopened for tourism and you often just need a COVID vaccination certificate, for which the flimsy CDC or Canadian-CDC cards are fine

Not entirely correct, at least for Americans. Some countries will not accept CDC cards as proof of vaccination, and US citizens don’t have a way to get registered through the EU vaccine verification deal.

Also, if you are traveling to EU countries from the US, do not fly through the UK! Out of Brexit spite, the UK is considered a high-risk country and some EU members may require a mandatory quarantine even if you just travel through Heathrow. I didn’t look into this super carefully because it doesn’t apply to me, but the rules are a lot more complicated than (1) be vaccinated and have proof.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omerta posted:

Not entirely correct, at least for Americans. Some countries will not accept CDC cards as proof of vaccination, and US citizens don’t have a way to get registered through the EU vaccine verification deal.

Also, if you are traveling to EU countries from the US, do not fly through the UK! Out of Brexit spite, the UK is considered a high-risk country and some EU members may require a mandatory quarantine even if you just travel through Heathrow. I didn’t look into this super carefully because it doesn’t apply to me, but the rules are a lot more complicated than (1) be vaccinated and have proof.

Yeah the UK is blocked from like everything now that it's no longer EU and was never Schengen, and Europe has been blocking the UK far more / far longer than is justifiable by case numbers this year. Granted the UK has been an even worse shitshow in terms of travel, no way would I go through or transit UK even if it was hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Which countries don't accept CDC cards? I know [Edit: France and Netherlands] do.

E: I mean in terms of entering at airports. Supposedly some French places inside the country anecdotally don't accept the CDC card (I heard of people getting rejected from big museums in France) but in our experience there in late July travelling with Americans, it was accepted 100% of the time. There are also screwy things too like if you didn't get two doses of the *same* vaccine some countries don't like it, if you happened to get a vaccine that's not approved by the EMA some countries won't like it (e.g. SinoPharm is only accepted in some EU countries), etc. I suspect more countries are also requiring even vaccinated Americans to take a test before flying in, but I have not kept up with changes in the past 3 weeks.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 25, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Saladman posted:

Yeah the UK is blocked from like everything now that it's no longer EU and was never Schengen, and Europe has been blocking the UK far more / far longer than is justifiable by case numbers this year. Granted the UK has been an even worse shitshow in terms of travel, no way would I go through or transit UK even if it was hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Which countries don't accept CDC cards? I know France/UK/Spain/Portugal/Germany/Switzerland/Greece/Iceland/Belgium/Netherlands do, but maybe some of the Nordics are more restrictive?

E: I mean in terms of entering at airports. Supposedly some French places inside the country anecdotally don't accept the CDC card (I heard of people getting rejected from big museums in France) but in our experience there in late July travelling with Americans, it was accepted 100% of the time. There are also screwy things too like if you didn't get two doses of the *same* vaccine some countries don't like it, if you happened to get a vaccine that's not approved by the EMA some countries won't like it (e.g. SinoPharm is only accepted in some EU countries), etc. I suspect more countries are also requiring even vaccinated Americans to take a test before flying in, but I have not kept up with changes in the past 3 weeks.

Portugal doesn’t accept CDC cards. If you have something that says otherwise, I’d love to see it!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omerta posted:

Portugal doesn’t accept CDC cards. If you have something that says otherwise, I’d love to see it!

Oh, sorry yeah you're right, I was mixing up in my mind "are able to enter as tourists" and "are able to enter as tourists without testing". I bet a bunch of countries are going to soon start requiring tests even for vaccinated people soon given the rise of case numbers and large numbers of breakthrough cases. Actually I'm kind of surprised they haven't already done that given the large number of breakthrough cases that have occurred, and given reciprocity that (a) the US doesn't let Europeans in and (b) Europeans need a test before flying to the US even if they're in countries with very low case numbers.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Saladman posted:

Oh, sorry yeah you're right, I was mixing up in my mind "are able to enter as tourists" and "are able to enter as tourists without testing". I bet a bunch of countries are going to soon start requiring tests even for vaccinated people soon given the rise of case numbers and large numbers of breakthrough cases. Actually I'm kind of surprised they haven't already done that given the large number of breakthrough cases that have occurred, and given reciprocity that (a) the US doesn't let Europeans in and (b) Europeans need a test before flying to the US even if they're in countries with very low case numbers.

No worries! I’m leaving Sunday for Portugal and have been researching the poo poo out of requirements to make sure I’m clear. My wife and I are vaccinated and have the CDC cards, but we still need:

1. Negative PCR test within three days of boarding time (72 hours).
2. Health declaration for stop in Amsterdam (and quarantine declaration which shouldn’t apply to me but I’m bringing a completed one anyways).
3. Personal Health Declaration for Portugal.
4. Follow-up negative PCR tests every 72 hours or rapid antigen every 48 hours during stay to access any public place.

We’re bringing our cards anyway and getting COVID tested three times between now and our flight just to make sure.

For any other Americans reading, there should be some method to get an EU vaccine passport at some point, but it’s still in the works with no target date, to my knowledge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Omerta posted:

:words:
For any other Americans reading, there should be some method to get an EU vaccine passport at some point, but it’s still in the works with no target date, to my knowledge.

Ah hah,

That's crazy that all you need is the CDC Vaccine Card but I guess they're able to hopefully look something up and get it verified. Do you just bring this with you to the Airport and that's it?

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Amsterdam in November because that's when all the nightclubs will be back open! :dance:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kalenden posted:

I'm looking for some advice regarding a trip we'd like to plan.

First off, we are from Belgium, fully vaccinated, and haven't travelled at all during the pandemic. Normally we really like to travel, do city trips/road trips/other types of vacations and hence we enjoy luxury accomodations, cultural activities (musea, cities), nice calm walks, are real foodies (experimental, authentic, fine dining, etc), some mild adventure, etc. We'd like to try to travel again and looking for the best locations to go since Covid is still not beaten. Hence we were thinking cities/cultural activities are best avoided, and long-distance travel as well. Looking at https://reopen.europa.eu/en Madeira seemed a good choice (Malta is more city-like and the North probably too cold) and are looking for some advice.

[1] How is Madeira with regard to the pandemic? Vaccination, covid cases, measures, safety protocols and so on [2] Is it a good idea to travel to Madeira? Do you think that still will be the case in late October/early November [3] How is Madeira from an acitvity point of view? What to do, where to do, etc [4] How is Madeira from a luxury point of view? Good hotels, resorts, fine dining... [5] How is Madeira from a gastronomy/foodie point of view? We really like authentic cuisine (our trip to Lisbon for instance was great, first time I ate risotto made with chicken's blood!) [6] How is Madeira in late October/early November? Climate, closed down, amount of other tourists, etc.

Thank you for your time so far. We'd appreciate any and all advice!

Hey!

So, Madeira - I went there when I was a teenager, so it's all a bit fuzzy, but from what I remember it's a beautiful place. In terms of tourist infrastructure, it's quite used to large number of visitors, with all budgets, so it'll definitely have more upscale hotels available. Most of what you can do in Madeira either relates to the island's culture (eg carros de cesto) or just natural beauty (eg véu da noiva). It's a chill place, with a big tourism industry.

I assume they have the same percentage of vaccinations that we have in continental Portugal, which is the highest in the world after Malta right now afaik.

Weather wise, I think anywhere you go you'll get chilly temperatures and some rain.

Now, if I might, let me make the case for Azores. Azores is so far the only place where I broke down crying with the beauty of the place. It's loving insanely beautiful. It's not as prepared for tourism, doesn't have all of the bling of Madeira, but I liked it much better. The food is also amazing, especially if you like beef (they have cows roaming on the island, the beef they produce is imho the best in the world).

Now, the problem with Azores is that it's very small. You can see S Miguel in like 3 days. But then again, you have multiple islands.

Here's a pretty cool video of a guy going to multiple islands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7_Dq_aGoA

It all depends on the type of holiday you want - if you don't want to have to drive around yourself and just want to chill by a pool with something to do outside the hotel, Madeira is cool. If you want to see beautiful stuff, Azores is definitely better.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 26, 2021

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omerta posted:

No worries! I’m leaving Sunday for Portugal and have been researching the poo poo out of requirements to make sure I’m clear. My wife and I are vaccinated and have the CDC cards, but we still need:

Enjoy! I had researched the hell out of it too about 6 weeks ago to see where I could meet up with my family; the initial list of countries I posted was the countries that I had looked into potentially visiting with my family with their CDC cards. Some French pharmacies have been converting CDC cards to EU vaccine passports. Not sure how that is going in Portugal but could also be worth a try/worth a Google if you're staying for a while and/or if antigen tests are inconvenient or expensive.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Traveling between the states and Europe last week gave me flashbacks to doing research for my masters thesis and always feeling like I had reached the end of my search queries but that there was some obvious paper that I was going to be called out for not finding. Just constantly going between the airlines, airports, border control, ICE, CDC, Swiss Federal Office of Public Health until we ran out of energy and said I guess we don't need to get a test if we're vaccinated?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Amsterdam in November because that's when all the nightclubs will be back open! :dance:

Don't count on it. The universities are about to open without restrictions while many kids are unvaccinated and this will trigger an Nth wave. And after the previous big outbreak caused by reopening night clubs, that'll be the first thing they cancel.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm unable to find a thread dedicated to the UK so I'll post here.

Any tourists traveled to the UK recently? They have a policy where people coming from "Green" countries have to pay for a COVID PCR Mail Test Kit that arrives at an address you specified within the first 2 days of arrival.

I'm curious how tourists managed this, especially when having to stay in a hotel. It seems like we are forced to order this PCR Mail Test Kit as well and can't choose a testing center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Entropist posted:

Don't count on it. The universities are about to open without restrictions while many kids are unvaccinated and this will trigger an Nth wave. And after the previous big outbreak caused by reopening night clubs, that'll be the first thing they cancel.

By November, we'll be just prior to wave N+2 and the clubs wilo be open again

greazeball posted:

Traveling between the states and Europe last week gave me flashbacks to doing research for my masters thesis and always feeling like I had reached the end of my search queries but that there was some obvious paper that I was going to be called out for not finding. Just constantly going between the airlines, airports, border control, ICE, CDC, Swiss Federal Office of Public Health until we ran out of energy and said I guess we don't need to get a test if we're vaccinated?
Even just rules for individual countries can be a huge pain in the rear end too. You'll read like 4 paragraphs of different rules and then it'll say "except for vaccinated people" but then you need to see that definition because sometimes it accepts 1 dose but others require at least X days after the second dose. But no more than Y days.

But you might still need to be quarantined or tested depending on where you came from. There are these categories A, B, C and D but the definitions change constantly. You can check the map using this link which gets you 404. And you'll need an arrival form. And also a different arrival form if you came by airplane. Or maybe not if you're just transiting, but you'll have to study the definition of transit to see if you qualify.