Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess you need to make and endless supply of pikemen and archers/longbows if horsemen are nearby... They are fun to play but not fun to play against. Free stacks of OP units generated basically out of thin air... You can move, shoot, scoot with same turn. Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

KirbyKhan posted:

As someone who has played the Huns... Just build walls lol

Not only can they shoot over the walls but they can just siege for a turn or three to build some ballista and knock holes in the wall for their horses to pass through

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Walls do nothing to stop Mongols.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The horsemen can gently caress right off with their ability to run all the way round the battlefield and gently caress up your archers that you thought were safely up a cliff.

That aside, I seem to have hit the "every turn is clicking build whatever until the game ends" far earlier than with civ. I skipped the tutorials by accident because I went back to the settings menu to up the resolution and couldn't get back to them, so had no idea wtf I was doing and yet am still dominating the game on normal difficulty and stuck just clicking "next" while I pointlessly build fishmongers or whatever. A build governor would be v. Useful because I'm basically just playing a cookie clicker right now.

Basically it kind of feels like after a certain point it becomes a bit pointless to do anything except turtle and click "next turn" until you win which was always my problem with civ, just that it normally took me longer to get to that point.

Edit: I could go conquer people I guess but to do that I'd need to spend so long janitoring cities to build unit and get them to the right place (railway stations seem to do nothing? Or does pathing just not take account of them?) I just can't be bothered. The early game was really good though, mid-late just seems a bit busted.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 21, 2021

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Yeah on Nation I got to the point where I researched a ship and sent it halfway to another continent before it was obsolete by two eras because I was researching so fast

It’s also super weird that I can be in the contemporary era and researching tech from much earlier

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I've seen Humankind just beating Civ 6 on the steam stats for multiple days, pretty good for Amplitude.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah on Nation I got to the point where I researched a ship and sent it halfway to another continent before it was obsolete by two eras because I was researching so fast

It’s also super weird that I can be in the contemporary era and researching tech from much earlier

Eh, tech tree dead ends in some fun spots that don't require you to fill out the whole tree. Most of them are city cap or unit cap slots and it's nice to keep those in the back pocket as a 1 turn tech, or you fill it all out for the gold star fame bonus. Many choices, now excuse me I found a 5 mountain tile, just gonna build a confusious school in there and blast past past the classical era.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Its also a good point about the cost scaling being broken. I have 45k influence but civics are presented as big choices when the cost is less than I get in a turn. Ditto for narrative events, "oh no a bad event, you can avoid it and get a downside free benefit for.......150 gold!!!"

At the opposite end, I can poo poo out a settler in 1 turn to build a city with everything from eras 1 to 4, but it costs me 10,000 influence to convert an outpost into one that comes with three mud huts and a single cow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Am I reading things wrong or do industrial era Persians get a flat -25% cost on literally everything you build?

E: Siam's +3 industry to every district seems pretty good too... also they get gatling gun elephants.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
A converted outpost also gets the benefits of whatever colony techs you’ve researched.

My current gripe is with the pollution mechanic. It has no effect on the game til you hit Low (global) pollution, at which point it’s -50 stability worldwide. So, it’s a pro-snowball mechanic, designed to prevent catch-up, as the techs that let you power through stability are all in the Contemporary. A city’s individual pollution is also crazy; when it goes from Very Low to Low, you get hit with -15 Stab per district. Stability itself seems busted, as it includes a fake variable that is there to prevent the number from going below 0 or above 100 - which means it hides crucial info from the player. So in my last game, when pollution kicked in and my cities got hit by -100 stability (double the intended pollution hit, for some reason), I was building Commons Quarters without effect, because whenever I added 20 stability, the “base stability” would go down by 20.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I first go to check places with an army and plop outposts. Settlers follow, as said they can turn an outpost to a city with full buildings.

AI seems to be knowing what they are doing a lot better on 50% landmass flat earth pangaea. Also olmecs wardecced be because who knows :shrug: and I got the Huns again. I want to turtle but AI always does an "early" turn 50-60 wardec.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Kazzah posted:

A converted outpost also gets the benefits of whatever colony techs you’ve researched.

My current gripe is with the pollution mechanic. It has no effect on the game til you hit Low (global) pollution, at which point it’s -50 stability worldwide. So, it’s a pro-snowball mechanic, designed to prevent catch-up, as the techs that let you power through stability are all in the Contemporary. A city’s individual pollution is also crazy; when it goes from Very Low to Low, you get hit with -15 Stab per district. Stability itself seems busted, as it includes a fake variable that is there to prevent the number from going below 0 or above 100 - which means it hides crucial info from the player. So in my last game, when pollution kicked in and my cities got hit by -100 stability (double the intended pollution hit, for some reason), I was building Commons Quarters without effect, because whenever I added 20 stability, the “base stability” would go down by 20.

And on the flip side of that, it would be incredibly useful to know how much of a stability buffer you have before you do anything that could lower it.

Ihmemies posted:

Settlers follow, as said they can turn an outpost to a city with full buildings.

For the like the third time, the Settlers don't create the buildings. You get that effect for free just from researching the tech. The Settlers only save you influence cost (which is significant).

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Clarste posted:

And on the flip side of that, it would be incredibly useful to know how much of a stability buffer you have before you do anything that could lower it.

What you too good to have a calculator out to sum up your stability totals :colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

What you too good to have a calculator out to sum up your stability totals :colbert:

lol nerd

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

A lot of cultures have really powerful abilities, and the AI doesn't know how to fully exploit them. Peasant levies can heal for free every turn, and get free upgrades. Vikings are way too good on New World maps, you get a whole continent to yourself. The New World concept is handled really poorly, anyway - there's no such thing as an uninhabited continent.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Chamale posted:

A lot of cultures have really powerful abilities, and the AI doesn't know how to fully exploit them. Peasant levies can heal for free every turn, and get free upgrades. Vikings are way too good on New World maps, you get a whole continent to yourself. The New World concept is handled really poorly, anyway - there's no such thing as an uninhabited continent.

Mine usually have independent people on it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm flabbergasted there's no ability to name empires to make it easier to keep track of players.

Also for narrative clarity

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Megazver posted:

Extending the metaphor, Germans also like coziness and comfort. They're this German:

Ah so they're more like that youtuber German Girl in America than Kraftwerk.

Is anno 1800 on steam? I can't seem to find it.

Anyways, I can set the game to victory conditions for space race and have 600 turns, that's much better than ending when one civ reaches the final stage.

And something confusing about empire names is the AI's have famous leader names so you end up with Attila or Tokugawa but they're the Romans or Franks.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Xarbala posted:

I'm flabbergasted there's no ability to name empires to make it easier to keep track of players.

Also for narrative clarity

The colours, icons and avatars in the game are exactly for this.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Ah so they're more like that youtuber German Girl in America than Kraftwerk.

Is anno 1800 on steam? I can't seem to find it.

Nah, it was for a month and then UbiSoft decided that it wanted everyone to go through its own UbiStore interface. So the bad news is that if you want to play Anno, you do it through the UbiStore.

This applies to Anno 2070 and 2520 as well, IIRC, so even though you can buy those on other stores it’ll still force you to log into the UbIStore to play.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I ended up buying Humankind and just finished my first game. First thoughts are the Celts and Khemer are loving busted as gently caress. Secondly the pace of the game is very weird. I absolutely felt I was advancing through eras and researching tech WAY too fast. My cities constantly lagged behind on infrastructure, but I just kept ranking up. I'd push to a new era once I built all my unique districts because I had just become way too far ahead of anyone to care. As well I didn't know how to deal with the city cap, at first it felt too low but then I had a ton of extra stuff since I was just friends with everyone. My main cities had 2 other regions attached, I don't know if cutting them to one region each and having more cities would've been better. Also my research was crazy just off population, I didn't really build any science stuff until the end to finish off the tech tree.

Overall fun and I liked the narrative events and stuff, it just felt super fast paced.

Also for letting me customize my avatar, where the gently caress are the bangs?! Also it sucks that every modern era outfit is a loving suit with a flag pin.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i definitely think they need to do something about the pacing. I'm not even playing with the optimal strats or combos or anything, and i still feel like I'm blazing through eras before i get the opportunity to enjoy them.

still much better than civ 6, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Horizon Burning posted:

i definitely think they need to do something about the pacing. I'm not even playing with the optimal strats or combos or anything, and i still feel like I'm blazing through eras before i get the opportunity to enjoy them.

Yeah, I look forward to trying my next game on slow or endless. Unless someone has a trip report of that being even worse somehow?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Eimi posted:

Yeah, I look forward to trying my next game on slow or endless. Unless someone has a trip report of that being even worse somehow?

apparently that totally breaks how the game calculates years

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bought this and spent a few days with it. I had decent fun but it's definitely not a game that has much staying power for me, I feel like I've seen absolutely everything there is to see. I was raging when I first built nukes and found that you can't rebase them, and can't stick them in submarines despite that being in the Nuclear Sub's description lol.

Also I finished one game by pumping pollution just to see what happened and it ended with the exact same "You will be remembered for building a wonder/having alliances/etc." stuff a traditional victory does and made me sound like I kicked rear end instead of, you know, dooming the planet.

The switching cultures thing is mechanically great, it lets you do interesting things in deciding whether to spread your bonuses out or concentrate them (In the pollution game I went with an Industrial civ every single era and by endgame my cities were unbelievably productive), and gives flexibility depending on your circumstances. But in terms of narrative/flavor etc. it's a total bust. Flitting between cultures with no commonality or continuation, and the AI doing the same, is weird and does not leave you feeling like you've built a unique civilization by the end. The AI leaders are like, a weird attempt to split the difference as well, giving you characters to know and thus like/hate/etc. but they're all identikit morons so it's a light year short of playing Civ IV and knowing you're in for a bad time because Monty just showed up on your doorstep.

On the upside I appreciate the punchiness of the game, in that I never felt like I was sitting around for ages waiting for something to happen. Late game had some long turn times yes, but when it was my turn I was almost always doing something that advanced the empire. The random events are a nice touch too narratively speaking, until you realize that there's an extremely limited pool of consequences they draw from. But being able to combine stuff from religious tenets, civ choices, and civics did open the possibility for some really OP strats and I always appreciate that.

Not tremendously impressed with the game tbh. Hopefully given the amount of content EL got this will be similarly well treated and become something better but I'm not that hopeful. Most fatally though is that it's a 4X I feel like I've completed and I have no incentive to replay it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah i just hit the "mash end turn can't lose" point and barely discovered guns. have over double the score of the next ai and am 2 ages ahead.

went all builder civs which seemed good, literally built everything was finishing wonders in 2 turns etc...

played on whatever the third highest difficulty is, so I think i'll try a new game on max difficulty with endless length, get rid of new world/oceans just do a pangea see how that goes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eimi posted:

ok so you know how you research techs in one or two turns on lower speeds

you still research techs in one or two turns

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

skeleton warrior posted:

Nah, it was for a month and then UbiSoft decided that it wanted everyone to go through its own UbiStore interface. So the bad news is that if you want to play Anno, you do it through the UbiStore.

This applies to Anno 2070 and 2520 as well, IIRC, so even though you can buy those on other stores it’ll still force you to log into the UbIStore to play.

Booo to that. I guess i can keep an eye on the Ubistore for black friday and stuff.

Also, I have no idea why my city has 8 food production, but only 4 citizens, why is it shrinking? Wait, does a pop take 2 food? Even then the growth should be stagnant.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

How are Amplitude with patches, content updates and dlc generally?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

How are Amplitude with patches, content updates and dlc generally?

good, with the caveat that while they added lots of cool flavorful stuff, they literally never fixed any of my core gameplay gripes in any of their games, soooooo :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyoru posted:

How you beat the AI to Harappans and Mycenaeans: Use auto-explore on your starting Tribes/Scouts to match the AI's goodie hut omnipotence
Aim for the Science per pop legacy trait before ascending. Harappan's Runners have 5 base move so they can out-explore the other civs in Classical Era.

lmao, for some reason i never considered this

e: also i looked at anno 1800 and the game looks super neat but wow, over $120 huh :negative:

vvv looks like the base game still costs around $65 which i wouldn't consider cheap.... good to know about the expansions though vvv

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 22, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Basic Anno 1800 doesn't cost so much. It has numerous expansions that you might get later, it's not like all of those games where not having expansions is like not having patches.

After playing Humankind a little I've started the search for a land-based 4X that is not civ and ended up playing Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes. It is still being patched and it's fun. Too bad release circumstances had hidden it from public view. So if you're wondering what to play till magenta stops influencing all those neutral cities - try this. You can get it for cheap probably. Has cities where you can zoom in and watch people too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just played my first game on Humankind difficulty. Came in second because the Turks zoomed me through the tech tree so fast that the game ended around turn 170, and I couldn't catch up to the biggest AI on the other continent. I had decided to not annex anyone, since the AI doesn't do well against invasions. I'll play around with map settings a bit before my next game, I think two big inhabited continents will be best.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Had an interesting result happen to me recently. Early in my game one of my nearest neighbours kept sending soldiers at an outpost I had set up, trying to muscle me to leave. I eventually declared war on them and swept up a province near me in the peace agreement, which stopped them from bothering me. They then got involved in another war with the larger empire on the continent.

Fast forward a few turns and my enemy is now in an alliance with me, whilst the larger empire has declared war on me because I refused to give over a province. I ask my ally to join me in the war. Their reply: "Sure. Give back the province you took from us."

I was quite impressed by that. Again given the schizophrenia of civ 6, it was nice to see the AI not only remember prior history, but use it against me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
God drat I love the way war works in this game.

I built outposts in two territories on Edgar's borders and he was furious. Demanded both of them. He kept making pathetic attacks on them which I handily batted away, and which also gave me plenty of grievances which I made demands for reparations. So occasionally we'd both drop our demands, but he would always be back, demanding those territories again.

Well before long he adoptic Celtic culture and his attacks... weren't so pathetic any more. Clans of Gaesati started appearing on my frontier and my army there evaporated. He ransacked my outposts. I demanded reparations again and he was like "o rly?" and declared war. Sieged Akkad which fell pretty much instantly, wiping out the rest of my entire army.

So I surrendered. He got the two territories and I had to pay 3000 gold in reparations, but I got Akkad back. The payment put me into ridiculous debt and my empire nearly fell apart from instability while I desperately tried to pay it off. I'm building back my army now that we're in peacetime, but he's looming on my border.

A+ would lose a war again

----

And I probably will lose another war again soon because the independent Etruscans established themselves in a territory where Edgar razed another outpost during the war (splitting my empire in two), and guess who magenta is? The Huns. Now I have a loving Hun city on my doorstep in my house.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
yeah, wars and combat in this is a vast improvement from civ 6. i loved scythia in civ but there's just night and day between the danger of horseman horde in one game versus the other. the huns in this can be terrifying if you haven't made preparations (say, walls) to deal with them.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yep, the news that the Huns have just materialised on your borders is cause for flailing panic. It's great.

Also- I still can't get used to early-game fog of war inside my own borders. Is there a way around that? I feel like I'm missing something.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tree Bucket posted:

Yep, the news that the Huns have just materialised on your borders is cause for flailing panic. It's great.

Also- I still can't get used to early-game fog of war inside my own borders. Is there a way around that? I feel like I'm missing something.

Yeah this is an issue for me as well. In EL you can build watchtowers at strategic points in a territory to let you see further but I can't see that there is anyway to do that in humankind unless I'm being dense.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah this is an issue for me as well. In EL you can build watchtowers at strategic points in a territory to let you see further but I can't see that there is anyway to do that in humankind unless I'm being dense.

I’m 99% sure garrisons can be placed anywhere and have the bonus of adding stability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can buy watchtower improvement on cities, it increases vision range of main plaza and garrisons. You can plop down garrisons anywhere. So make the improvement and build garrisons to places where you want vision.

Personally I just use scouts on hilltops or whatever.. cheaper and easier to move around in need.

Pangaea feels a lot better. Altough my builder/farmer strat never works, the AI just wants to stomp on me so I always have to go Huns/Mongols because it is the cheapest/easiest way to deal with overaggressive AI. Just let me build and turtle in peace goddamnit! Also these huge plains are sweet in pangaea.

AI also makes hideously bad city placement. They make it downhill next to a huge hill. So I rain arrows down to them and they all die without me losing anything.

Also the AI sends a stack of mercenary archers flailing aimlessly around in the dark hills. They don't have any scouts so when they go to a wrong valley, hordes horsemen silhouettes appear on hilltops all around them.. arrows rain down and all the archers are dead.

I guess AI thinks they don't need scouts because they have cheat vision, or watchtowers or anything? WRONG! Also AI doesn't realize they shouldn't wardec Huns or Mongols. Like I don't want to fight but AI attacks me all the time, so what else I can do than defend (and take some cities from the enemies just because I can't build my own as Nomadic hordes... and to pacify them and to make them think loving long and hard before wardeccing hapless farmes :((( (me before Huns).

I don't know what I'd do with the aggressive assholes all around me and without Huns though. Probably die game after game? AI makes shittons of units and I have no idea how to match them without some horsemen.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 22, 2021