Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It did have one glaring flaw, though. Use the Force was a skill, and like any other skill you could take the Skill Focus feat to increase your roll. The problem is that powers such as the mind trick were rolled against the target’s 4e-style defense “saves”, and those didn’t increase at the same rate as skill bonuses when leveling. A character with Skill Focus and a decent Charisma score could mop the floor with most enemies of much higher levels with even mediocre rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PantsOptional posted:

It did have one glaring flaw, though. Use the Force was a skill, and like any other skill you could take the Skill Focus feat to increase your roll. The problem is that powers such as the mind trick were rolled against the target’s 4e-style defense “saves”, and those didn’t increase at the same rate as skill bonuses when leveling. A character with Skill Focus and a decent Charisma score could mop the floor with most enemies of much higher levels with even mediocre rolls.

It also had the weird flaw of also being really good at like levels 7-14 or so and kinda pants any other time.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Ablative posted:

Isn't Saga what the KOTOR games run off of, too?

No, KotOR used base 3.0 with a few tweaks, not the 3.5++ that was Saga.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Saga was also bogged down with a billion classes and stupid bullshit, all spread over 50 splats just like 3/3.5.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Probably the single biggest problem with the whole D20 Glut Era is that nobody ever figured out the system math, so you got stuff like rolling a skill against a saving throw without realizing that they scale differently. It could be done better today.

But yeah, supplements filled with new player options will eventually break a game or drown it in cruft.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
FFG Star Wars had the right idea of having all its classes and such in the core books and the splats just giving more options for each one....but wow I wish we had gotten a Character Creation Compendium for each line at the end of the life of the line.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jivjov posted:

FFG Star Wars had the right idea of having all its classes and such in the core books and the splats just giving more options for each one....but wow I wish we had gotten a Character Creation Compendium for each line at the end of the life of the line.

We kind of did, it's just the Oggdude program.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Fuzz posted:

Saga was also bogged down with a billion classes and stupid bullshit, all spread over 50 splats just like 3/3.5.

Wait, are we talking Star Wars d20 or Star Wars Saga?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fuzz posted:

Saga had 14 books including the core book:

Star Wars: Roleplaying Game - Saga Edition Core Rulebook
Starships of the Galaxy (Saga Edition)
Threats of the Galaxy
Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
Scum and Villainy
The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
Legacy Era Campaign Guide
Jedi Academy Training Manual
Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
Galaxy at War
Scavenger's Guide to Droids
Galaxy of Intrigue
The Unknown Regions

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

wiegieman posted:

We kind of did, it's just the Oggdude program.

I wanted a hard copy book haha. Just all 6 careers, with all 6 specializations, the signature abilities and all the alien races and such in one book per line. Leave the "how to run campaigns for X career" info exclusive to the splats, but make it way easier to actually MAKE a character.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Definitely want this as well. Its a big hurdle to making characters to have them all spaced in different books, or to have to teach players how to use Oggdude to make characters.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

realized that the plot i'm running is accidentally ripping off an old WEG adventure (Cronal/Blackhole making sithspawn) but unfortunately the actual writeup is like half a page so that's not terribly helpful. relatedly, are purge troopers statted up anywhere?

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

I seriously considered running a SAGA game in 2020 before Covid. If your regular gaming group is used to D&D and Pathfinder, it's a pretty good version of Star Wars. Time has shown that it has a couple major mechanical problems, which other posters have talked about, but if you patch those the overall game engine is well-tuned for the time.

Also I like the broad but not excessive amount of splat books. The party can select a couple to hone in on an era and a play style without drowning in d20 bloat.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it's the only officially supported KOTOR PNP RPG.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Woohoo! Finally played with my Star Wars group again in person for the first time since early last year.

Fathom
Mar 11, 2005

Damn Kids!

Clever Moniker posted:

I seriously considered running a SAGA game in 2020 before Covid. If your regular gaming group is used to D&D and Pathfinder, it's a pretty good version of Star Wars. Time has shown that it has a couple major mechanical problems, which other posters have talked about, but if you patch those the overall game engine is well-tuned for the time.

Also I like the broad but not excessive amount of splat books. The party can select a couple to hone in on an era and a play style without drowning in d20 bloat.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, it's the only officially supported KOTOR PNP RPG.

If you’re used to D&D5e there’s this I saw somewhere else: https://sw5e.com

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's been asked multiple times but I didn't write it down, which of the published FFG Star Wars adventures are good? Also are they still printing books so availability is fine, or is supply drying up?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's been asked multiple times but I didn't write it down, which of the published FFG Star Wars adventures are good? Also are they still printing books so availability is fine, or is supply drying up?

Supply has dried up but there's something called the Jewel of Having that's pretty good imo.

Edit: Jewel of Yavin

soulfulspinster fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 9, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.facebook.com/edgestudioamerica/posts/365417308660087

Reprints have been announced for next year

quote:

Hello everyone,
We would like to share with you the complete list of Star Wars reprints coming in 2022:

Age of Rebellion :

ESSWA01EN AoR : Beginner Game
ESSWA02EN AoR : Core Rulebook
ESSWA03EN AoR : Game Master's Kit
ESSWE01EN EotE : Beginner Game

Edge of the Empire :

ESSWE02EN EotE : Core Rulebook
ESSWE03EN EotE : Game Master's Kit
ESSWE10EN EotE : Lords of Nal Hutta
ESSWE13EN EotE : Special Modification
ESSWE14EN EotE : No Disintegrations

Force & Destiny :

ESSWF01EN F&D : Beginner Game
ESSWF02EN F&D : Core Rulebook
ESSWF04EN F&D : Chronicles of the gatekeeper
ESSWF06EN F&D : Nexus of Power
ESSWF09EN F&D : Ghosts of Dathomir
ESSWF10EN F&D : Savage Spirits
ESSWF11EN F&D : Knights of Fate

Common universe :

ESSWR03EN Dawn of Rebellion
ESSWR04EN Rise of the Separatists
ESSWR06EN Collapse of the Republic
ESSWR08EN Starships and Speeders
ESSWR02EN Star Wars Roleplay Dice Set

"Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight to all this sneakin' around!" -- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 6, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Reprints are heartening. Maybe we'll see some new support

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The system feels very "complete" to me. Maybe an Old Republic sourcebook, but I think that mechanically it's in a great spot and doesn't need more supplements

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah, some era play sourcebooks (High Republic, sequel trilogy) might be nice, but the basic game is complete to the point that adding more risks bloating.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still holding out hope for a per-line player option compendium, or maybe a couple more of the location sourcebooks for AoR and F&D. I hate that they only got one each.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Yeah, some era play sourcebooks (High Republic, sequel trilogy) might be nice, but the basic game is complete to the point that adding more risks bloating.

Historically, this is the point at which someone can't help themselves from starting work on a second edition.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
With Marvel dropping their own in-house RPG in a few months, I have to wonder if someone at Disney is doing the math on their own Star Wars game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, the game already has Specializations that rely heavily on skills and mechanics that might not show up at all in some games, like the Strategist. From a player's POV it has just about everything you could want.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Are there any specializations that unlock the Lightsaber skill outside of the FaD and Jedi ones? One of my players is looking to play a droid that was Order property before the Clone Wars and had been used for lightsaber training for Padawans. I suppose he could simply take one of the FaD specs with the understanding that the Force talents and Rating are useless to him, but that seems anti-fun.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

PantsOptional posted:

Are there any specializations that unlock the Lightsaber skill outside of the FaD and Jedi ones? One of my players is looking to play a droid that was Order property before the Clone Wars and had been used for lightsaber training for Padawans. I suppose he could simply take one of the FaD specs with the understanding that the Force talents and Rating are useless to him, but that seems anti-fun.

Legends has Force Sensitive droids, gently caress it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

Just let them have the skill, replace a different one they already have if you want. I can't imagine this would break anything beyond having a lightsaber at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think Arbiter and, weirdly enough, Juyo Berserker are the only specs that both give you the Lightsaber skill and let you get to the bottom of the tree without touching a Force Talent.

But even if you don't want psychic droids, it's actually bullshit to be unable to use Reflect or Falling Avalanche or Makashi Flourish, etc.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

CitizenKeen posted:

With Marvel dropping their own in-house RPG in a few months, I have to wonder if someone at Disney is doing the math on their own Star Wars game.

I look forward to the 5e sourcebook in 2024.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
FWIW, I like the d20 revised more than saga edition. A lot of that is because of how much I love the wounds/vitality system and using vitality to power force abilities. Somewhat reminds me of magic/drain from shadowrun which is also one of my favorite games.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

Instead of looking for a specialization that grants Lightsaber, look for one that grants two skills of your choice. Something like Archeaologist could fit the bill.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
You can also reach the end of the Shii-Cho Knight passing through only one Force talent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
An archaeologist teaching themself how to build and use a lightsaber is a pretty cool origin story.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://edge-studio.net/star-wars-edge/

Edge studios finally got a website online, and also mention that they'll be producing new things, not just the reprints.

Hopefully that doesn't just mean an immediate 2e

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hopefully it doesn't just mean a D&D 5e conversion.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hopefully it doesn't just mean a D&D 5e conversion.

STAR WARS D20 2

THIS TIME, WE DIDN'T EVEN TRY.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

To be fair they didn't try the first two times with SWd20.

SAGA was a neat little 3e/4e transitional fossil with a few good ideas (and some dumb ones like skill focus: use the force).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Owlbear Camus posted:

To be fair they didn't try the first two times with SWd20.

SAGA was a neat little 3e/4e transitional fossil with a few good ideas (and some dumb ones like skill focus: use the force).

Star Wars SAGA remains the game that I know a surprisingly large amount about despite never playing thanks to the Order 66 Podcast. Their setting advice for the SAGA era still works for the FFG era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What were the issues with D20/SAGA?

I'm very familiar with the design foibles of D20, so I'm guessing that it has to do with how BAB, AC, saves, and skills scale at different rates, and that class balance goes out the window when they start interacting in nonstandard ways.