Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My rule is to never play interactive multiplayer games 2 player. It always seems inferior to playing an actual 2p game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

My rule is to never play interactive multiplayer games 2 player. It always seems inferior to playing an actual 2p game.

You're missing out on some games that play well with 2 then.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

You're missing out on some games that play well with 2 then.

There are plenty of great 2 player games to play instead.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks, that's 120 bucks that I can earmark for something else saved. We'd probably just end up playing knife fight simulator Exceed instead anyways.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Playing the new Descent tonight. I'm psyched. I love dungeon crawls and the 3d scenery looks so cool.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I finally got around to playing Parks. Much like Wingspan, it seems like a mostly derivative engine builder propped up by great art and production design.

Are there any innovative engine builders that introduce some more interesting, crunchy decisions? I love Istanbul but otherwise find the genre a bit shallow.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jewmanji posted:

I finally got around to playing Parks. Much like Wingspan, it seems like a mostly derivative engine builder propped up by great art and production design.

Are there any innovative engine builders that introduce some more interesting, crunchy decisions? I love Istanbul but otherwise find the genre a bit shallow.

Is this finally the time where it's appropriate to recommend Food Chain Magnate? Because it is a pretty innovative engine builder with a lot of crunchy decisions. A bit heavy, maybe, and theres the whole "first turn you should be taking one of these three actions or you're severely handicapping yourself forever" issue that's been pointed out repeatedly itt.

Race for the Galaxy has some good engine building elements going on as well and is a stone cold classic of the genre. It's got an Often Imitated Never Surpassed simultaneous action selection mechanic that keeps people advancing even when it's not their turn. There's plenty of expansions and junk to get for it too if you end up enjoying it.

I'm also a big fan of Innovation for a little engine builder in a box, it has a cool card splaying/symbol collecting mechanic--the downside being that graphically it's functional but ugly as sin.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Innovation is also on Boardgamearena so you can try it for free.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thanks both! I’ve had Food Chain Magnate on my list for a few years now thanks to this thread but was having trouble justifying the price. I’ve seen Race for the Galaxy talked about in this thread for years as well but never bothered to check it out.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
If you want to try Race, there's an app version where the base game is free (no longer updating and doesn't fit all screen sizes or ios/android versions, but, worth a try), the same app is on Steam for $5 (but it works), and there's a TTS module.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mayveena posted:

Innovation is also on Boardgamearena so you can try it for free.

Just be sure to factor in a whole lot of calling out to the table how many Trees everybody has, and you have to figure out what your cards do rather than just being able to click on them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Descent: Legends of the Dark Update

I really enjoyed this. We only played one scenario, which took about two and a half hours including explaining rules. You need a very big table. My table is 6' x 4' and we had to regularly adjust stuff to keep it together. The app is very cool, but the lack of voice acting really hurts it. My group read out our characters' dialogue and we took it in turns to voice NPCs, which I think added a lot; having one person narrate, or just letting everyone sit in silence reading the screen with one person going "everyone read it?" would really hurt the experience.

The 3d scenery looks so cool and it's nowhere near as fiddly as I thought it would be. I split the tiles into two piles, in numerical order (so 1-9 and 10-18), and it took us seconds to set up the newly-revealed parts of the map each time it happened. The hardest part was placing enemies: the cartoony portraits of the enemies look almost nothing like the minis so we had no idea which mini to place. After you're told to place minis, though, you can click on the enemies tab and it shows you the actual mini in great detail. So found ourselves putting down something that was close enough, then replacing it when we realised what the mini was supposed to be. I grew up playing Heroquest in the 80s and early 90s, and having all of these 3d bookcases, tables, chests, lecterns and altars around the board once again was really satisfying.

The card-flipping stuff is a great way to replace the usual 'rest' action that you get in dungeon crawlers. There wasn't a single turn where a player didn't do something useful or interesting, which I've found to be a problem in Descent 1e and 2e and even Mansions of Madness, which shares the app-driven style of this game. We all got to do at least one attack or interacting with a piece of scenery (which almost always seems to give you something useful) every turn.

One huge thing to note is that 'your' character belongs to the party, not you. This game really encourages you to play as different characters and also to play even if someone can't make it to your regular session. Sometimes you have to include a specifc character no matter what (there are four to begin with and two that get unlocked shortly after the first mission). The anti-gloomhaven, if you will (and I love gloomhaven).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So how's Scythe? I got the steam version in a random sale but never actually tried it.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Balance is bad, player interaction is meh, art and components are great. It was the first geek level game that we got into and so we have everything and have played through the expansion campaign a couple times. A lot of people hate it for being overhyped while being a mediocre game. Many have fun with it despite that, including me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It also comes with a fun secondary game of "spot the reference material the guy traced the art from".

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Quote-Unquote posted:

One huge thing to note is that 'your' character belongs to the party, not you. This game really encourages you to play as different characters and also to play even if someone can't make it to your regular session. Sometimes you have to include a specifc character no matter what (there are four to begin with and two that get unlocked shortly after the first mission). The anti-gloomhaven, if you will (and I love gloomhaven).

I watched the NPI review and this part caught my eye. I really like this idea and it's how things work in the digital version of GH (at least in Guildmaster). Wish more games gave it a go.

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 22, 2021

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

MonsieurChoc posted:

So how's Scythe? I got the steam version in a random sale but never actually tried it.

Since the only thing about the game that feels in any way worth experiencing is the artwork and minis the steam version probably isn't great

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've played a bunch of scythe and it's.... fine

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

For the Armada fans in the audience

https://twitter.com/atomicmassgames/status/1428828647994109954

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sucks rear end, but the physical version is one of the best case studies for what good production quality looks like

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tbf tho a steam version that handles setup and a lot of the rules overhead probably makes it an interesting novelty at least.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bodanarko posted:

Balance is bad, player interaction is meh, art and components are great.

I briefly thought this was you stating your thoughts on board gaming in general lol.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Ceebees posted:

If you want to try Race, there's an app version where the base game is free (no longer updating and doesn't fit all screen sizes or ios/android versions, but, worth a try), the same app is on Steam for $5 (but it works), and there's a TTS module.

It's also on boardgamearena. By the way, is there a goon group?

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's helped me learn the rules for the physical came. Otherwise, it's a "meh" experience online.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Bit of a long shot, but anyone come across any Dune custom tokens / bling stuff? (Not imperium). I've got a token insert and some really nice beads for spice, but would really like to bling up the rest of it, only, there didn't seem to be much on etsy?

It's not just for vanity either, we play quite a bit, and the official tokens are pretty bad for stacking / telling at a distance how many there are.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 23, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

16mm coin capsules seem cool and good.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Control Volume posted:

Sucks rear end, but the physical version is one of the best case studies for what good production quality looks like

We've been playing it a bit recently since a friend picked it up and here are my main petty gripes:

1. realistically you have to plan 4-5 turns in advance for your production to be efficient. Wingspan also wants you to plan out your whole round but at least you can use your cubes to do this - scythe wants me to sort out my produce cycles far enough in advance i can't keep it in my head and i get better if i have a scratchpad, which is real annoying at IRL gaming.

2. buildings, enlists, and mechs all require you to take a piece off your board and have a benefit under the piece. but i can't see the benefit while the piece is in place, so i'm constantly removing the pieces to remind myself which enlist or building is the popularity or which mech does what. Spirit Island shows me under the presence counters what will happen when i remove them!

3. if you've got a weaker player in your game, they have a real bad time since they're often the easy attack target and don't get the counterattack opportunities that are normally there. We have some people who take longer to get up to speed on games, often become the top tier once they've played a bunch, but scythe in particular often doesn't give them a game at all or a chance to improve.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know I'm very late to the party, but my brother and I have been playing Gloomhaven on PC every once in a while and holy cow I get why this game has so much hype. I was expecting some throwaway filler cards until you level up and get better ones but it's just interesting decision after interesting decision. Some cards or items may be less useful for a build, but everything has a use, and then you get into the scenario and stuff like "this is a great ability to have up early, but can I afford a turn doing that instead of attacking" means even MORE interesting decisions.

I didn't understand any of that watching other people talk about the game. I mean, I believed them when they said it but until I was putting my brain into that puzzle and trying to wedge it apart I didn't really grok it. I can't imagine how much effort it took to design everything.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Having played Scythe maybe 3-4 times, I can tell there's balance issues but are there any ways to mitigate this? As each faction starts with a certain amount of cards and money, it seems tweaking that would help somewhat.

Also, how are the expansion factions? More balanced or more broken?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Having played Scythe maybe 3-4 times, I can tell there's balance issues but are there any ways to mitigate this? As each faction starts with a certain amount of cards and money, it seems tweaking that would help somewhat.

Expansion factions are harder to win with

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

!Klams posted:

Expansion factions are harder to win with

That's because Scythe was originally meant to come with all seven factions in the box. They decided to take two out to reduce the cost of initial buy-in, and chose the two that were hardest to play.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

The solution is to bid VP for the right to pick of the remaining VP.

E.g you deal out the 4 faction board combos, then auction for the right to pick first in end game VP, that player picks and then auction the right to pick from the remaining players. The best combos (like patriotic Crimea) are worth like 8-12 VP.

Only works with experienced players though

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bruceski posted:

I know I'm very late to the party, but my brother and I have been playing Gloomhaven on PC every once in a while and holy cow I get why this game has so much hype. I was expecting some throwaway filler cards until you level up and get better ones but it's just interesting decision after interesting decision. Some cards or items may be less useful for a build, but everything has a use, and then you get into the scenario and stuff like "this is a great ability to have up early, but can I afford a turn doing that instead of attacking" means even MORE interesting decisions.

I didn't understand any of that watching other people talk about the game. I mean, I believed them when they said it but until I was putting my brain into that puzzle and trying to wedge it apart I didn't really grok it. I can't imagine how much effort it took to design everything.
I'm glad you are enjoying it!

The whole campaign is coming out before the end of the year in digital. It'll be worth the time!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jewmanji posted:

Thanks both! I’ve had Food Chain Magnate on my list for a few years now thanks to this thread but was having trouble justifying the price. I’ve seen Race for the Galaxy talked about in this thread for years as well but never bothered to check it out.

You can also play a very very good version of the game (and a couple others Splotter games) at http://play.boardgamecore.net/. I play this 2p with my girlfriend all the time, you can play probably three games in an hour if you know what you're doing. The last part of that sentence is key though because it doesn't hold your hand and unless you know the game a lot of what's going on will feel opaque and possibly frustrating. That said, the game itself is top-10 material I think, and I haven't even had a chance to test out the expansion yet.

And while I'm recommending fantastic sites that have changed my digital/distance board gaming life, if anyone ever wants to dip their toes into the wonderful world of 18xx you cannot go wrong at https://www.18xx.games. It is everything you ever wanted and keeps getting better as time goes on.

If they had AI players it would be God-tier

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 23, 2021

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I'm glad you are enjoying it!

The whole campaign is coming out before the end of the year in digital. It'll be worth the time!

My Gloomhaven group started well before the digital version was announced and will finish sometime after the heat death of the universe, so I welcome the opportunity to see the end of the campaign without the 17 years of deck shuffling it would take solo.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I can't imagine playing Gloomhaven without the Gloomhaven Helper app. It makes the whole thing so much more fun, since the book keeping gets reduced to a minimum.

My group completed the campaign and expansion, playing with a monitor at the end of the table to show the app. Anyone with the app on their phone can also connect to this to update their own health etc. There's a browser version too, but that doesn't support multiple users (it's very easy for one person with a wireless mouse to do everything anyway).

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Crossposting from the miniatures thread, for the component painters who might lurk here, some more of the Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps figures. I did also do the hot water/cold water trick to bend some of the tails up so it was less of a "barrel o' monkeys" situation when trying to move them around.

Parkingtigers posted:

I've either done something really stupid, or I'm close to having done something potentially cool once I figure out how to tie it all together. But I took half my 16 alien warriors and did OSL emergency lighting effects on them. Well... an attempt was made. Not that these photos help at all because they're just impossible to snap without looking over or under lit.

"What do you mean they cut the power? They're just animals."

e: for reference, this is the effect I'm "trying" to copy, but with only middling success so far.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I hope the digital implementation of Gloomhaven eventually gets the JotL and FC classes. Fingers crossed!

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Just found out my father in-law has a (lightly used?) copy of 1829.

I haven't played any 18xx. I bought 1846 with the intent to play with my normal group back in 2020, but we haven't met in person since to play it. Now that 1829 is an option, I'm considering it.

From what I've read so far it looks to be the lesser game, but it has my attention for being the one that started them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pandemic Legacy Season 1 spoilers

We rushed finding the Paranoid Soldier. Fuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

:stare: