Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People tend to remember their 'first anime' and AoT is probably that for more people than any other series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eh I kinda of doubt that both cause AOT's time as being a real big thing was short and it really didn't hit the levels of say DBZ or what even My Hero is doing right now in English

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

AoT was able to stay extremely popular in the west amongst the anime only normies who might not even be aware the manga exists, even during the multi year gap between season 1 and 2. I think that says something about its long lasting effect, over here anyways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, Rina Hidaka (Prelati in Symphogear, Laura in Tropical Rouge, Pirika from the new Shaman King, etc) has covid now as well:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-21/voice-actress-rina-hidaka-diagnosed-with-covid-19/.176507

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

AoT was able to stay extremely popular in the west amongst the anime only normies who might not even be aware the manga exists, even during the multi year gap between season 1 and 2. I think that says something about its long lasting effect, over here anyways.
Yeah even after the absurd delays The Final Season (part 1) was the most popular TV show period while it was airing.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like that's bound to keep happening unless the vaccination rate starts to pick up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

I feel like that's bound to keep happening unless the vaccination rate starts to pick up.

Yeah, this is like the 5th or 6th case in a row I’ve heard about among the Japanese voice acting community

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

you're right

we need to push the normie vaccine harder

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The only solace is that so far most of the VA cases have been mild and the majority of them are young enough to probably live through it

But yeah, the Japanese government really needs to start stepping things up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

you're right

we need to push the normie vaccine harder

kkm...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Attack on Titan was immortalized in Touhou 14 where it was referenced in a spellcard. That's how you know you've hit it big.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

The only solace is that so far most of the VA cases have been mild and the majority of them are young enough to probably live through it

But yeah, the Japanese government really needs to start stepping things up.

At least people in Japan want to get vaccinated unlike a poo poo ton of people in America

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

At least people in Japan want to get vaccinated unlike a poo poo ton of people in America

So antivaxxers aren’t as common in Japan as they are in the US? That’s good to hear at least

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
America is the stupidest country in the world

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Willo567 posted:

America is the stupidest country in the world

Nah, it's just that y'all suffer from a massive distrust of authority and expertise while also suffering from massive gullibility to people claiming to have said authority or expertise. And it doesn't help that people on both sides of that line have historically been really lovely and untrustworthy people, regardless.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 22, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Nah, it's just that y'all suffer from a massive distrust of authority and expertise while also suffering from massive gullibility to people claiming to have said authority or expertise. And it doesn't help that people on both sides of that line have historically been really lovely and untrustworthy people, regardless.

It’s probably partly that but as an American I can assure you that some people are just godawfully stupid and legitimately say bullshit like “I heard from a VERY reliable source (a friend of a friend of a cousin) that that vaccine was dangerous” or other idiotic poo poo. Don’t try giving us too much credit, Americans really are suicidally stupid on top of being paranoid.

kamille
Mar 18, 2016

Larryb posted:

So antivaxxers aren’t as common in Japan as they are in the US? That’s good to hear at least

sadly not as true as you'd hope for it to be. it may not be as common as it is in the US but that's not exactly a high bar to pass. it mostly has its roots in an old scandal surrounding the MMR vaccine in japan. this article does a decent job of discussing it.

anecdotally all my japanese friends have received their shots, but rollout has been very slow and has focused on rural prefectures first. there's also much more of a culture of publicly and meticulously documenting all of your suspected reactions to the shot on social media; i'm not sure if this helps or hurts with regards to convincing others to get their shot, honestly.

edit to add: ever wondered why a character getting mumps is a weirdly recurrent plotline in anime? this is why!

kamille fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 22, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Last Celebration posted:

It’s probably partly that but as an American I can assure you that some people are just godawfully stupid and legitimately say bullshit like “I heard from a VERY reliable source (a friend of a friend of a cousin) that that vaccine was dangerous” or other idiotic poo poo. Don’t try giving us too much credit, Americans really are suicidally stupid on top of being paranoid.

As a nation, you've been stabbed in the back so many times by the people at the top it's really not a big surprise that people go looking elsewhere for answers.

Hell, my own mother had a brain tumor go undiagnosed for twenty years because doctors thought they knew better and wouldn't give her an mri; they thought she just wanted opioids. For want of an mri, she nearly died before she was seventy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

no

e: This said something about getting taught about critical thinking in school before I quoted it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

me reading this discussion

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Day 2 of Jerma's Dollhouse stream and it just keeps getting better

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

The Colonel posted:

one time i walked by a blinged out car in long beach, socal that had a lum decal

A friend sent me a pic of a Misato Katsuragi car and I really hope to see it in person someday.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mentat Radnor posted:

I just finished binge reading Blue Period up to current.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and the art is fantastic. The MC can have a frustrating lack of self-awareness at times, but I suppose that's kinda the point of showing this story of him growing up. It's also strange how the secondary cast just pops up for a chapter or three and then disappears again. It makes them all feel "unfinished" in a sense, because I want to know what they're up to off-screen but the author seems very set in only showing us the MC's perspective.

Blue Period is so good, I will sing its praises forever.

Although something that's stood out about recent chapters God, so many of the Geidai instructors are horrible teachers. Just the worst. Even when they've got valid critiques, it's like they got out of their way to make them in the least supportive way possible.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

Don't say poo poo without looking it up just because you feel them to be true. Japan has one of the lowest rates of vaccine confidence in the world: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/12/23/national/japan-vaccine-history-coronavirus/

quote:

Japan has one of the lowest rates of vaccine confidence in the world, according to a Lancet study, which found that fewer than 30% of people strongly agreed that vaccines were safe, important and effective, compared with at least 50% of Americans. A recent poll by NHK found 36% said they didn’t want to take a COVID-19 vaccine.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it isn't hard to even find some people on jp social media going out of their way to promote vaccines purely for those sorts of reasons. there's an old games programmer i follow who does it. the lack of confidence doesn't have the same "scene" exactly as it does in the us but it very much exists

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The self flagellating Americans do posting about other Americans is kind of cringe; it's the most populous English speaking country in the world. Of course it'll have the biggest number of idiots you see as an English speaker.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah. i dont exactly have American Pride but. self flagellating about it only comes off as kinda lame. you've got time to do better stuff.

for instance: watching acclaimed 2003 action yuri anime, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, the yuri anime that opens with inexplicable shaky cam for five minutes and then turns into a spy movie set on a train for two episodes while the main characters just walk around in the background and dont interact with the spy movie plot in any way

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Sure sounds like Squark loves America

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just wait until more people from the subcontinent have college educations then India will be the most populated English speaking country.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

The self flagellating Americans do posting about other Americans is kind of cringe; it's the most populous English speaking country in the world. Of course it'll have the biggest number of idiots you see as an English speaker.

the problem is we have the most vocal idiots of most places

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's kinda because we tend to dominate the global discourse due to the previous point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

That's kinda because we tend to dominate the global discourse due to the previous point.

Yeah, and anyone speaking English on the internet is generally assumed to be American

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Is1oTUPHE

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VtzsBWUJt0

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aurora posted:

the problem is we have the most vocal idiots of most places

I mean, if you only know English you're not going to hear about those people unless it becomes international level news like Bolsonaro.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Anyone have an opinion about the Hunter X Hunter movies?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

Anyone have an opinion about the Hunter X Hunter movies?

dont do it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

that's odd i could have sworn my monitor was on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, and anyone speaking English on the internet is generally assumed to be American

i'm not even talking about internet, just the amount of people who are conservative/trump supporters/etc are very vocal