Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Countdown to fishing rod cocks starts no-

Oh.

Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

So will mods be compatible or does everyone have to make Anniversary Edition mods like when Special Edition came out?

It looks like it's Skyrim SE with the CC stuff included in one giant package, which... might not be that big of a deal for modding purposes.

But then again, this is Bethesda. They don't do QA, so it's safe to expect a shitshow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hope the upgrade is cheap. I just bought SE during the summer sale (after missing out on the original free SE upgrade by like a month).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Meanwhile, Fallout 4's mods are still, at least, as hosed up and weird as Skyrim's: :nws: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/53933 :nws:

From the description:

quote:

In the Spirit of Brand New Cherry Flavor this mod adds an equippable Rib Vagina that Births Cats. The cats then follow you around so long as you are wearing the Rib Vagina.

Craft at Campfire.

:allbuttons:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Gonkish posted:

Meanwhile, Fallout 4's mods are still, at least, as hosed up and weird as Skyrim's: :nws: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/53933 :nws:

From the description:

:allbuttons:

What the loving hell

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I am happy I'm on my phone and don't want to bother logging into Nexus to see that. Jesus Christ, just bring back the Oblivion torso swords and tentacles please, it was less weird.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What is the weirdest fetish?

Normal people: Feet
Me: Lemme show you this bethesda mod.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Very Cronenbergian

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

What is the weirdest fetish?

Normal people: Feet
Me: Lemme show you this bethesda mod.

Do normal people think feet are weird? I mean, they're at least a part of the body that people have, at a normal size, attached in the normal place.

Has the internet done that much damage to my brain?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

Do normal people think feet are weird? I mean, they're at least a part of the body that people have, at a normal size, attached in the normal place.

Has the internet done that much damage to my brain?

it's more that foot fetishists themselves tend to be really goddamned weird.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bought this game in the recent sale after hearing about Horizon and am so glad I did. Set up Horizon and a few compatible bug fix mods along with all the bits of FallUI that can work with Horizon and the game feels great.

Made it out of Vault 101 with a real character and it's good to be back in the 3D wasteland again. Hadn't realized how much I missed a Beth Fallout world, though I'm not expecting much of the core story and plot. Horizon should make this a fun world to tool around in.

Adding SSAO and SSIL via ENB dramatically improves shadows and lighting though it does cost some performance. Subtle ENB is pretty lightweight but it darkens the game a bit too much, so I switched to the base ENB with the game's lighting and color but with SSAO and SSIL on top. Looks great and I can stay in the 50-60s pretty consistently. Lmk if anyone wants the config, though it's easy to create for yourself.

How important is Buffout 4 to game stability? One of us prerequisites is causing crashes and it took long enough to isolate that crash that I'd rather just get on with playing without Buffout than more bisecting of crashes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

v1ld posted:

Bought this game in the recent sale after hearing about Horizon and am so glad I did. Set up Horizon and a few compatible bug fix mods along with all the bits of FallUI that can work with Horizon and the game feels great.

Made it out of Vault 101 with a real character and it's good to be back in the 3D wasteland again. Hadn't realized how much I missed a Beth Fallout world, though I'm not expecting much of the core story and plot. Horizon should make this a fun world to tool around in.

Adding SSAO and SSIL via ENB dramatically improves shadows and lighting though it does cost some performance. Subtle ENB is pretty lightweight but it darkens the game a bit too much, so I switched to the base ENB with the game's lighting and color but with SSAO and SSIL on top. Looks great and I can stay in the 50-60s pretty consistently. Lmk if anyone wants the config, though it's easy to create for yourself.

How important is Buffout 4 to game stability? One of us prerequisites is causing crashes and it took long enough to isolate that crash that I'd rather just get on with playing without Buffout than more bisecting of crashes.

If it's prereq is causing crashes it won't help much with stability I imagine. I would suggest getting Baka Scrapheap if you use any script heavy mods.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

If it's prereq is causing crashes it won't help much with stability I imagine. I would suggest getting Baka Scrapheap if you use any script heavy mods.

Just figured out the crash, it wasn't the prereq but Buffout itself. Removing the prereq just kept Buffout from loading and causing the crash.

The Buffout crash goes away when I disable the MemoryManager replacement in its config. There's a stickied post on the Buffout page that says "The memory manager patch can cause crashes with certain mods which unintentionally corrupt the heap. This is not an issue with Buffout, but with them."

So one of my other mods is causing heap corruption, which explains why bisecting the F4SE mods did nothing.

Will look at Baka Scrapheap, thanks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is there a go-to player house mod or does this game that involves building settlements give you a good house? Looking for something that has auto-sorters like Lombard Station had for FNV. Display stations aren't important, just a one-click sort to unload stuff from inventory and another click to select a standard loadout on the way out if possible.

E: RedRocketTV has a dozen house mods with sorters. They all seem very well done, but the Scavenger's Safehouse seems like a good fit for Horizon because it's pretty minimalist and doesn't auto-purify your water and stuff.

They've done a dozen house mods with this level of detail, it's pretty insane how good they all look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMYKC71VABg

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 23, 2021

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I keep crashing at random, with no obvious cause. I've only been using the in-game mod manager since I wanted to do things more simply, but that might have come back to bite me?

Load order:
    Unofficial Patch
  • Unofficial patch
  • Workshop Framework
  • HUD Framework
  • Sim Settlements 2
  • Integrated Commonwealth
  • LAER
  • Sanctuary Bridge Fix
  • Nuka World: No Commando/Rifleman Perk for Handmade Rifle
  • Wattz Laser Gun
  • Useful Crank Laser Musket
  • Healthier Commonwealth
  • Stumble Upon Interiors
  • Survival Options
  • Crowded Commonwealth
  • Improved Map with Visible Roads
  • Companion Infinite Ammo
  • Everyone's Best Friend
  • All-around Weapon Perks
  • Additional Linked Workbenches
  • Pipe Shotgun Collection
  • Breakheart Homestead
  • Nuka-World Fizztop Grille Workshop
  • Do It Yourshelf Updated
  • Tales from the Commonwealth
  • South of the Sea*
  • Elysium*
  • Beantown Interiors Project
  • Beantown Interiors Optimization Patch
  • Hagen Expanded*
  • Concord Expanded*
  • Salem Expanded*
  • Operation Manhattan
  • Salvage Beacons
  • Mystic Pines Settlement
  • Scrap Everything-Core*
  • Scrap Everything - Ultimate Edition*

Everything is from Bethesda.net unless marked with a *, in which case it is manually installed from Nexus. Struck-through mods were ones I removed to try and fix the problem. Removing the Crank-charge muskets seemed to help for a bit, but went back to crashing. Most of the time it crashes about a minute after loading a save (currently in Covenant) but sometimes loads properly only to crash again later.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Since you are using Sim Settlements 2 is it crashing in one area? SS2 settlements can be extremely heavy and cause crashes. The triangle of death of RR, Sanctuary and the farm who's name I forget is notorious for this.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Since you are using Sim Settlements 2 is it crashing in one area? SS2 settlements can be extremely heavy and cause crashes. The triangle of death of RR, Sanctuary and the farm who's name I forget is notorious for this.

I did have a number of crashes in that area, particularly Red Rocket, but I'm currently further east. Plus I'm pretty early game and haven't built things up much. But that might be it?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Most likely the combo of scrap everything and Sim Settlements. Scrap everything is a bit of a mess because it breaks up a lot of pre-combined stuff which causes a performance hit and messes with Sim Settlements stuff. I think generally it's not recommended these days.

The triangle of death thing isn't limited to just those three, basically there's a number of settlements that are close enough for the game to load them into memory at the same time and start running any scripts etc for them even when you are in a completely different settlement.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Someone mentioned the No More Teleporting Creatures mod up thread which is a neat mod to have. This version also adds Bloodworms: No BloodWorm MoleRats Scorpions Teleport-BugFix.

If you're running Horizon you can just add the single DisableTunnelingKeyword keyword these mods add into radscopions, molerats and bloodworms in the horizon and horizon dlc esps.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

So one of my other mods is causing heap corruption, which explains why bisecting the F4SE mods did nothing.

So this Buffout corrupted heap crash seems to be coming from within Horizon itself. After playing with some of the options there, it seems to be from some interaction between the built-in DEF_UI version and FallUI.

I say "seems" because I'm not going to search further given that I want all of those things enabled in my game so I'm happy to disable memory management in Buffout and move on.

There are some great mods for this game and I'm not even trying to find them. Horizon is especially great to have, it tightens up everything so well and in an opinionated way that I like.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It seemed to me like it forced you spend a lot of time in your settlements. Which sometimes I'm in the mood for, but sometimes I'm not.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Zeron posted:

Most likely the combo of scrap everything and Sim Settlements. Scrap everything is a bit of a mess because it breaks up a lot of pre-combined stuff which causes a performance hit and messes with Sim Settlements stuff. I think generally it's not recommended these days.

The triangle of death thing isn't limited to just those three, basically there's a number of settlements that are close enough for the game to load them into memory at the same time and start running any scripts etc for them even when you are in a completely different settlement.

Aha! A shame, Scrap Everything is one of my favorite mods. Are there any more effective alternatives?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, dang. Here comes chapter 2 in the SS2 saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8ikYltVeQ

It's all just hype at this point, but I'm gonna have to progress my game story a little bit I think, there looks to be some interesting interactions.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It always weirded me out there's this faction spread throughout the Commonwealth that the game does fuckall with.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Good lord, that team has made a trailer with more animation and craft than Bethesda ever managed for this loving game. It's astounding.

I'm seriously tempted to look for a compatible gameplay overhaul for SS1&2 instead of just continuing to wait for Horizon; it helps that thanks to their philosophies, they really don't work well with each other in the end anyway, even with compat patches, on top of all the script overload issues.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

It always weirded me out there's this faction spread throughout the Commonwealth that the game does fuckall with.

i ran one of those gunner overhaul mods up until recently that gave you reputation with them and made them not necessarily hostile and actually about merc poo poo, but it didn’t account for just how many quests use them as the generic enemies that are there for no real reason and it was extremely silly just waltzing past guys in set pieces who are talking poo poo to you but are otherwise indifferent to your presence

even their concept doesn’t really make sense. they’re described as like, bloodthirsty mercenaries but for the second half of that description to apply they’d have to actually be working for somebody or trying to accomplish some sort of mission in exchange for money. but they just roam around like raiders wreaking indiscriminate havoc, they never do anything even remotely mercenary like. but then there’s MacReady, who apparently worked for them, and he’s a typical actual merc, all about money. it makes no sense

if the game even dropped in like a terminal entry or line of dialogue about how maybe the Institute was secretly funding the gunners to deliberately sow chaos as part of their overall plan, or maybe the Brotherhood sent them ahead into the Commonwealth as an expeditionary force and they went native or something it’d explain it, but IIRC they never do anything like that

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Which one

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Gunners, but also, yes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Most of the other factions have something, the Gunners are just generic raiders except with different aesthetics.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a viva new vegas equivalent for Fallout 4? My friend is new to the game and I haven't played 4 in a few years so I have no idea what would be the easiest way for him to start modding.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a viva new vegas equivalent for Fallout 4? My friend is new to the game and I haven't played 4 in a few years so I have no idea what would be the easiest way for him to start modding.

The same person has an FO4 guide. I don’t know how it compares, though; I didn’t use it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well, I finally figured out what was giving me so much trouble with CTDs: Tactical Reload. I begrudgingly installed it because it was required for a few gun mods that I liked, and it doesn't cause crashes ALL the time, but when it does, it does so aggressively.

Weird thing is, it can crash whenever NPCs shoot, too. I created a test profile in MO where I could gently caress around adding or removing mods as needed, and with ONLY Tactical Reload running I consistently get a crash if I teleport outside Hangman's Alley. The Diamond City guards fighting the mutants off screen will cause a crash with TR enabled within a few seconds of loading into the game. With TR disabled, it works normally.

I guess that the only fix right now is to simply not use TR.

EDIT: I tried a straight-up clean install of TR, and that seems to be working, somehow? I don't know. Let's see if it lasts.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 2, 2021

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
I also finally decided to bite the bullet and uninstalled Sim Settlements 2. Everything runs smoother now, fewer crashes, but I'm sad to uninstall the thing that made me start this playthrough in the first place. Why is it so unstable? Is it just because it's so big?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
the power wiring system was the major culprit for me, if you use any wires anywhere they inevitably get hosed up. I went with a mod that just makes it all wireless power and scrapped every bit of constructed power wiring and most of my crash problems went away.
e: here is a set of wireless power mods to support that

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49505

and
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49055

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 9, 2021

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

the power wiring system was the major culprit for me, if you use any wires anywhere they inevitably get hosed up.

Wow, really? I would not have expected power lines to be the pain point.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

nobody does because it's a super non-obvious tech problem and you rarely see a symptom that really spells it out, but someone realized this and made a tool to detect and clean it, and once you know how to look you find it EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17777

quote:

Power Grid Tools

--- [0005] ---

★ About ★

Power Grid Tools adds two new console commands that allow you to inspect your settlement's power grid and automatically fix any errors detected within them.

This mod was created in collaboration with kinggath, who has been incredibly dedicated in researching the origins and symptoms for the Scrap Crash - an issue that has plagued players for a long, long time. Finally, we are presenting a fix - this plugin - that will allow you to save settlements that have fallen victim to it. For more information about the Scrap Crash, see kinggath's post here.

How to use

Enter the following commands in the console while you are within the buildable area of a settlement.

CheckPowerGrid (cpg)
Checks the power grid of the settlement you are currently in for errors.
Running cpg with no parameters will check for errors without fixing them. Running cpg 1 will automatically remove any bad power grids in your settlement.

ShowPowerGrid (pg)
Displays the contents of the power grid of the settlement you are currently in.

Why is this important?

Power grid corruption is the primary cause of the Scrap Crash - where the game crashes any time you attempt to scrap an object or perform any action related to power (e.g. building generators, wiring up objects, etc.) in a particular settlement. The scrap crash happens when the game attempts to access an invalid, non-workshop object in a corrupted power grid.

How can power grids get corrupted?

First, a primer on what activities affect the power grid:

Powered objects are added to the power grid when you perform an action on them (build them, move them, attach wires between them) in Workshop mode. Papyrus scripts from mods cannot add objects to the power grid.

Objects are removed from the power grid when you scrap them, store them or otherwise disconnect them in Workshop mode. Once again, Papyrus scripts from mods cannot remove objects from the power grid.

The problem occurs when an existing object in the power grid is not removed in the normal way described above, resulting in orphaned power grid entries.
There are a few ways this can happen:

When you uninstall a mod whose objects were in the power grid, all these objects become orphaned entries in the grid because they no longer exist in-game.

When a mod deletes objects via a Papyrus script. This bypasses the code that removes the object from the power grid, leaving an orphaned entry in the grid.

Once an entry is orphaned, there is no longer any in-game way to remove them from the power grid in Workshop mode as there are no longer any links to them.

Orphaned entries in the power grid are ticking time bombs! They refer to objects that have already been deleted. Orphaned entries can only accumulate in a power grid. The more orphaned entries in a grid, the greater the chance that the game will happen to 'recycle' one of these defunct IDs as it generates new objects. Once an orphaned power grid entry is recycled to become a different form type, you will experience what is known as the Scrap Crash.

Power Grid Tools will detect and drop bad grids with orphaned entries as well as entries that have already been recycled into an invalid entry (that directly causes the Scrap Crash).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've been interested in SS2 but less for base building, more for the quests, which I hear are pretty good. But if you're saying it makes the game more unstable, I might not bother.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the quest content is very good though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Ultra Carp

Zereth posted:

Most of the other factions have something, the Gunners are just generic raiders except with different aesthetics.

Don't forget too that the Talon Company in 3 was literally the same thing. ~bethesda~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Don't forget too that the Talon Company in 3 was literally the same thing. ~bethesda~
I don't remember the talon company at all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯