Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Arkage posted:

Assuming the virus becomes endemic, which most medical people think will be the case at this point because humanity sucks, than living life like "normal" while being vaccinated is going to become the norm. Yes you might get it, with a very small chance of being hospitalized/dead, but the death rate will be more flu-like and thus socially acceptable.

Not that it should be the norm right now though, considering the still high # of Americans with no natural immunity and no vaccine immunity, causing hospital swampage.

looking forward to a bunch of lib poo poo tut-tut articles about how you're more likely to die in a car crash than of the virus we decided to let run hulkamania and become a permanent part of life in service of brunch and number, why are you complaining highest standard of living best medical care in the world *increasingly high-pitched whine until your ears explode*

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

pillsburysoldier posted:

Anyone have some "natural" immunity sucking rear end vs vaccinated immunity papers on hand? Especially against different variants than what your previous infection was?

unvaccinated people twice as likely to be reinfected than people who were vaccinated after they had covid

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_w

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Blackhawk posted:

Current thread theory is that if you get a strong reaction to the mRNA vax you might have already had covid.

My no-evidence theory is that if you have a strong reaction to the vaccine,

Which I did, moderna #2 put me out of commission for about 36 hours

Then you probably would have gotten your rear end kicked by the actual virus.

My wife got both her moderna shots with me and she had no reactions to both shots, so it wouldnt Make sense if it had to do with having Covid cause it mean that I had it, but the person who sleeps 2 ft away from me somehow didn’t.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

NY Chomecoming

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

who's clarissa

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
re: shot reactions

reactogenicity with all US vaccines is higher in younger people, while covid is far more dangerous the older you are.

I don't think anyone has traced reactions to outcomes in anything published though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

who's clarissa

my gf

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

my greatest fear is becoming a real thing: the anti-vaxxer poo poo has gone beyond their god emperor and has taken a life of its own

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Shear Modulus posted:

who's clarissa

Melissa Joan Hart

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shear Modulus posted:

who's clarissa

Melissa Joan Hart got covid, blamed everyone (including herself, to be fair)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Blackhawk posted:

Current thread theory is that if you get a strong reaction to the mRNA vax you might have already had covid.

the pattern for a lot of people is that shot 1 is minor, shot 2 is rough, shot 3 is about the same as shot 2. because the first shot primes your immune system to react to the spike proteins, and following shots trigger a full immune response that gives the flu like symptoms.

some people have a bad time after shot 1, and there's some speculation that means the person already had covid and shot #1 is fulfilling the same role as shot #2 would.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

My entire family got Pfizer 1 and 2 and had next to no side effects but I am expecting moderna 3 to absolutely wreck me.

Also kind of whack that our immune system can't figure poo poo out the first time.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nice bro

Steve Yun posted:

lmao

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

cr0y posted:

My entire family got Pfizer 1 and 2 and had next to no side effects but I am expecting moderna 3 to absolutely wreck me.

Also kind of whack that our immune system can't figure poo poo out the first time.
I was 2P1M and the next 1.5 days suuuucked

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i had to check out this clarissa getting covid story:

quote:

(CNN)Actress Melissa Joan Hart has revealed she's quite sick with Covid, despite being fully vaccinated and wants to encourage others to "stay safe."

The "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" star took to Instagram (from bed) to tell followers "it's bad" and that she thinks she may have caught it from one of her kids.

"I am vaccinated and I got Covid and it's bad," she said. "It's weighing on my chest. It's hard to breathe. One of my kids, I think, has it so far. I'm praying that the other ones are okay."

She continued: "I think as a country we got a little lazy and I'm really mad that my kids didn't have to wear a mask at school. I'm pretty sure that's where this came from. I just really hope my husband and the other ones don't get it, because if someone has to be taken to the hospital, I can't go with them."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/entertainment/melissa-joan-hart/index.html

i'm INCREDIBLY skeptical that the star of highly acclaimed film, God is Not Dead 2 would be a non-covidiot. but the fact that she's taking this seriously and even after getting sick after being vaccinated continues to tell people to be cautious is very heartening at least

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

seeing my gf clarissa on the tv looking pretty "mature" was a powerful "feel old yet?" meme experience.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i went to high school w/ her little sister =/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mr Interweb posted:

i had to check out this clarissa getting covid story:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/20/entertainment/melissa-joan-hart/index.html

i'm INCREDIBLY skeptical that the star of highly acclaimed film, God is Not Dead 2 would be a non-covidiot. but the fact that she's taking this seriously and even after getting sick after being vaccinated continues to tell people to be cautious is very heartening at least

Why didn’t Aunt Zelda just cast a healing charm on her?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Nastier Nate posted:

Why didn’t Aunt Zelda just cast a healing charm on her?

She probably did. After all, Joan’s not dead

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Blackhawk posted:

Honestly not sure on what the end-goal is for covid living in NZ. I'm confident we'll get on top of the current outbreak but it's pretty obvious the rest of the world is just going to keep thrashing around in covid miasma forever. I keep coming back to that chicken disease caused by non-sterilising vaccines with a 100% lethality to non-vaccinated chickens...

Honestly I'd be happy for the country to continue the 'fortress NZ' system indefinitely, with a dedicated quarantine facility in the middle of nowhere that everybody coming from overseas has to go to for a minimum length of time to be tested prior to release into the country. However I just don't see that happening long-term given how a big chunk of the country was built around international tourism in the before-times. What's the alternative though? Open Biden and accept that rates of severe illness and death just go up forever and everyone in the country has to keep getting new vaccines every 6 months which only minimise symptoms?

Seems that unless an actual sterilising vaccine can be developed we're pretty hosed, because even if it swept the planet and everyone got it mutation and re-infection is such that it will never go away. And unlike other diseases that never go away like colds and the flu this one has significantly higher consequences.

WA is in a similar boat to NZ. our local tourism has spiked massively in response, but obviously that's not the same thing as dollarz coming in.

...covid-free travel bubble with WA and china?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Our kid's school has had 4 cases in three weeks. They're supposed to contact you if your kid was exposed to quarantine

Me: so do you heard about kids I'm other classes being out with COVID?

Son: My friend has been out all week with COVID

Me: oh is he in another class you see at lunch or something?

Son: no, he sits next to me in class

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Melissa Joan Fart

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vishass posted:

good thing you aren't homeschooling

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

gay_crimes posted:

Melissa Joan Fart

Melissa O Carditis

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Vishass posted:

Our kid's school has had 4 cases in three weeks. They're supposed to contact you if your kid was exposed to quarantine

Son: My friend has been out all week with COVID

Me: oh is he in another class you see at lunch or something?

Son: no, he sits next to me in class

Sorry for your lots.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vishass posted:

Our kid's school has had 4 cases in three weeks.

lol sure it has

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Searching ivermectin on patriots.win is a fuckin trip

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/carlos_chaccour/status/1429304034788356096

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Time for Science Diet to start a rumor that their dog food cures covid

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cr0y posted:

Searching ivermectin on patriots.win is a fuckin trip

I thought “globalization” was a buzzword for “Jews did it”

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1429299086012952581

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I thought “globalization” was a buzzword for “Jews did it”

There was also a cool story about a chuds vaxxed daughter getting covid and then she took horse drugs and the covid wasn't that bad!

Also a bunch of them are taking it as a daily supplement along with hcq

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

OK baizuo posted:

Anecdotal but I had a weird "head cold" that seemed kinda like a sinus infection with fatigue in early 2020, partner lost their sense of smell around then and is only now having it slowly come back. Unlikely that we had covid that early but we do live near a major international airport, and rich globetrotter fucks were flying in covid via DIA from very early on in the pandemic and the ski resort towns in Colorado had serious outbreaks back then.

First pfizer shot was just some soreness of the arm. Second, a bit of general soreness the day after. :shrug:

You could get a blood test for covid antibodies. They screen for it when you donate blood.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

gay_crimes posted:

Melissa Joan Fart

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there any map/graph/whatever that shows vaccination rates in comparison to population density? I've been thinking about the irony of large cities having better vaccination rates but more exposure due to population density. What's the sweet spot?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Is there any map/graph/whatever that shows vaccination rates in comparison to population density? I've been thinking about the irony of large cities having better vaccination rates but more exposure due to population density. What's the sweet spot?

Living alone in a cave drinking your own piss OP

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah the sweet spot is being that siberian hermits who chills out with animals all the time

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah the sweet spot is being that siberian hermits who chills out with animals all the time

That guy loving loves horse drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
gently caress this nerd

Only registered members can see post attachments!