Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Petey posted:

re: the future of the disease — i've been trying to read everything i can about the "russian flu of 1889-1890 was actually OC43" and honestly, it's striking, right down to long covid.

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2021/04/29/researchers-are-closing-in-on-long-covid

the upside is i guess is that after killing millions and debilitating tens of millions more it is now 'just the common cold' just in time for us to have another one :unsmith:

only a million people. lol. lmao. tiny baby disease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

SirPablo posted:

gently caress this nerd

I loving hate him so much.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Substandard posted:

Econ sucks everywhere, but Chicago is particularly lovely. How did nate end up as a lib and not a heritage foundation neocon?

:ssh: they’re the same thing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chard posted:

looking forward to a bunch of lib poo poo tut-tut articles about how you're more likely to die in a car crash than of the virus we decided to let run hulkamania and become a permanent part of life in service of brunch and number, why are you complaining highest standard of living best medical care in the world *increasingly high-pitched whine until your ears explode*

you are significantly more likely to die from coronavirus than a car crash

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Stereotype posted:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Stereotype posted:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stereotype posted:

you are significantly more likely to die from coronavirus than a car crash

daytime tv will convince your relatives otherwise

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

LOL this is loving amazing

he knows his base is shrinking from being so loving dumb

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
huh. I had a really bad reaction to my first jab, AZ, (shivers, fever, just flu like for 3 days) and mild aches from my 2nd, Moderna. I wonder if that means I might have had it? I do think I might have had some exposure very early on in the pandemic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend checked his heart rate when he got his third shot (immunocompromised) and yes, your heart rate goes up significantly (although he says not to dangerous levels). It came back down after a few days.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

its going to be rad in a few years when the five point palm exploding heart virus technique fully kicks in and most of the population goes chestburster

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/india-covid-death-toll-1.6109639

Most experts believe India's official toll of more than 414,000 dead is a vast undercount, but the government has dismissed those concerns as exaggerated and misleading.

The report released Tuesday estimated excess deaths — the gap between those recorded and those that would have been expected — to be 3.4 million to 4.7 million between January 2020 and June 2021. It said an accurate figure may "prove elusive" but the true death toll "is likely to be an order of magnitude greater than the official count."

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
thats a loving holocaust. holy poo poo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
how the hell has vaccine production not scaled up to meet global needs yet 1.5 years into this thing

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1428740707343294473?s=21

lmao at my province making the Feigl-Ding poo poo list

Doctor fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 22, 2021

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mila kunis posted:

how the hell has vaccine production not scaled up to meet global needs yet 1.5 years into this thing

Capitalism.

Capitalism ruins everything.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mila kunis posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/india-covid-death-toll-1.6109639

Most experts believe India's official toll of more than 414,000 dead is a vast undercount, but the government has dismissed those concerns as exaggerated and misleading.

The report released Tuesday estimated excess deaths — the gap between those recorded and those that would have been expected — to be 3.4 million to 4.7 million between January 2020 and June 2021. It said an accurate figure may "prove elusive" but the true death toll "is likely to be an order of magnitude greater than the official count."

It's always going to be an asterisk in wikipedia and we're never going to know the truth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mila kunis posted:

The most important thing is protecting the intellectual property rights of biochemical firms.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Doctor posted:

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1428740707343294473?s=21

lmao at my province making the Feigl-Ding hit list

See, here I thought Alberta was the Florida of Canada with their "you don't need to isolate even if you have a symptomatic COVID infection" poo poo.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Salt Fish posted:

The most important thing is protecting the intellectual property rights of biochemical firms.

Won't somebody please think of the shareholders?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Steve Yun posted:

It's always going to be an asterisk in wikipedia and we're never going to know the truth

Even the final US tally will end up being a guestimate arrived at by calculating excess death tolls for the pandemic years

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

Won't somebody please think of the shareholders?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

See, here I thought Alberta was the Florida of Canada with their "you don't need to isolate even if you have a symptomatic COVID infection" poo poo.

It's Texas.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

mila kunis posted:

The trade secrets that allow the mRNA vaccine to be effective also make it possible for the very same production lines to be re-used for other mRNA products (or, really, any product that can be enveloped in a nanolipid) without re-validating every step in the line. This is a huge time and labor saver.* Additionally, the mRNA vaccines themselves are tremendously flexible. Moderna is going to be making an HIV vaccine based on the same technology, and other really lucrative and exciting drugs will be possible.

It's the golden goose and they don't wanna let it out into the wild, basically.

*It also means that the same lines that could be used to make covid vaccine are probably going to be used to make more immediately profitable things at some point in the near future.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

It's Texas.

quebec is already the texas of canada

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kinda sorta good news: 1 million shots a day 3 days in a row

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1429138891550908416?s=20

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Substandard posted:

I paid :10bux: in 2007 to join a comedy forum, and now I'm a communist with access to reliable COVID info.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

has anyone topped Eric Crackl-Ping yet

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Colorado from California this weekend and it's night and day. In Santa Clara county, almost everyone wears a mask. In Denver, nobody loving cares. Hotel staff are not wearing masks, nobody downtown is wearing one, the people I met (mostly outside, while I wore my n95 lol), etc etc. I think starbucks staff had masks on but that's it. I asked why and one friend said 'well it was bad but it's been good recently so we don't need masks any more'. I was like, check again dude. He got on google and was quite amazed. Just a top of my head calculation, I think Denver is doing a bit worse (half the new cases with about 1/3rd the population) than SCC is doing. I couldn't get over the snacks in the plane and everyone accepting and eating/drinking. I think most people just think this is not a problem any more and it's all over, and if you've got a vaccine it's not a big deal. I might even be being generous about the 'if you've got a vaccine', I bet they just think it's fine.

I feel like a bit of a nerd in SCC with an n95 but in Denver I felt like a complete turbo-nerd. Maybe the healthiest (?) state in the USA is just covid-proof.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 22, 2021

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shear Modulus posted:

has anyone topped Eric Crackl-Ping yet

A bit inappropriate to ask, even during the suck & gently caress summer.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i got a caught a bad cold 3 days after my 2nd vaccination shot, i wonder if that had any effect

lmao

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Fireside Nut posted:

he certainly does have ‘full immunity’ now lol

my Airbnb host (lol I’m homeless) is refusing to get the vax on these grounds.

lmao

:smith:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

redreader posted:

I went to Colorado from California this weekend and it's night and day. In Santa Clara county, almost everyone wears a mask. In Denver, nobody loving cares. Hotel staff are not wearing masks, nobody downtown is wearing one, the people I met (mostly outside, while I wore my n95 lol), etc etc. I think starbucks staff had masks on but that's it. I asked why and one friend said 'well it was bad but it's been good recently so we don't need masks any more'. I was like, check again dude. He got on google and was quite amazed. Just a top of my head calculation, I think Denver is doing a bit worse (half the new cases with about 1/3rd the population) than SCC is doing. I couldn't get over the snacks in the plane and everyone accepting and eating/drinking. I think most people just think this is not a problem any more and it's all over, and if you've got a vaccine it's not a big deal. I might even be being generous about the 'if you've got a vaccine', I bet they just think it's fine.

I feel like a bit of a nerd in SCC with an n95 but in Denver I felt like a complete turbo-nerd. Maybe the healthiest (?) state in the USA is just covid-proof.

trump is not president, the us has no problems anymore

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

19 o'clock posted:

my Airbnb host (lol I’m homeless) is refusing to get the vax on these grounds.

lmao

:smith:

If he dies while you're living there the property becomes yours it's in the Airbnb fine print.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.foxnews.com/media/washington-man-hospital-refusing-transplants-unvaccinated

I guess it makes sense…

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is a state man another term for sovereign citizens

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Would you also be denied a transplant for not getting your other vaccinations?

Shear Modulus posted:

is a state man another term for sovereign citizens

It's shorthand for "not D.C., the other Washington"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
he needs his third liver transplant?

let some other people get a liver man