Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

empty quote send post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Kernel Sanders posted:

I mean, yeah, it’s canon and it necessary to understand everything that happens in season 3 but it’s just not a very good movie.

this is incorrect.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
ted lasso has me wanting to read rilke

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my favorite Christmas movie is twelve monkeys

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kernel Sanders posted:

I mean, yeah, it’s canon and it necessary to understand everything that happens in season 3 but it’s just not a very good movie. pacing feels weird, casting feels weird, atmosphere feels weird, and not lynch-weird, just “off”.

Bowie’s cool though.

i thought it was a good movie. now what?

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

i thought it was a good movie. now what?

*i sigh as i unsheathe my katana*

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

the propane must flow

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my favorite xmas movie is gremlins

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
tokyo godfathers is a good christmas movie

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
watched ip man 4 last night. decent/fun except for any dialogue that's supposed to mean anything. real propaganda poo poo lol. at least there was some bruce lee fighting in this one

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Watching Lynch Dune, just so I'm refreshed for dunc.

Can't say I'm a fan of all this telling and very little showing to start off the film.

This Jean-Luc Halleck guy is pretty neat.

The gom jabbar scene is great.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01mdGW9-Zg

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kieransofar/status/1429076944293859334

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

barkbell posted:

green knight pretty good xmas movie, better than most really

i just saw it. pretty good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what in the gently caress they're remaking Toxic Avenger

and peter dinklage is toxie? why

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Hope they do a reverse Hobbit and make him a normal-sized guy with a giant head.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what in the gently caress they're remaking Toxic Avenger

and peter dinklage is toxie? why
otoh this could be extremely good if only on accident

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i've never seen the toxic avenger and he sounds like a captain planet villain imo.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sagebrush posted:

i've never seen the toxic avenger and he sounds like a captain planet villain imo.

Same but I'm imagining them looking like the industrial waste guy from RoboCop.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

golden kamuy owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Hope they do a reverse Hobbit and make him a normal-sized guy with a giant head.

they already made him a giant dwarf in infinity war

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SmokaDustbowl posted:

golden kamuy owns

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Watching Lynch Dune, just so I'm refreshed for dunc.

Overall impression is that it's not a good movie - the pacing is incredibly rushed to try and fit in everything from the book, and it's just not really coherent unless you're already familiar with the source material. I think the Frank Herbert's Dune miniseries from 2000 is a better adaptation. To be fair, it's not like Dune is the only 80s adaptation to have this problem.

But the character designs are excellent (Baron Harkonnen is exceptional, outside of the very dated gay panic stuff), the sandworms are fantastic (especially the scene where one devours the harvester, that's visual effects work that still holds up today), a lot of the individual scenes are good. It's just that the film as a whole doesn't really come together properly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

haveblue posted:

they already made him a giant dwarf in infinity war

I felt like this was a weird decision tbh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jabor posted:

I think the Frank Herbert's Dune miniseries from 2000 is a better adaptation.

it is however painfully boring and has the production quality of a community theatre show

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i liked it because they didn't go completely wild with baron harkonen's obesity and had whats her name who was possessed by his ghost nailing twinks in empty hallways

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
does that count as gay sex if you're a woman being influenced by a gay male ancestor's ghost to gently caress men? dune asks the hard questions

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
frank herbert cares not for your hangups

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Ian McNeice (born 2 October 1950) is an English actor. He found fame portraying government agent Harcourt in the 1985 television series Edge of Darkness, and went on to feature in popular films such as The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and Frank Herbert's Dune.

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the weird sex thing that always gets me about dune is that paul and chani are 17 and 15, respectively, when they have their first baby, leto II the elder who is killed in the sietch raid. he got her knocked up when she was 14.

i know they're supposed to be space tribespeople and all but gross. gross

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 23, 2021

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sagebrush posted:

the weird sex thing that always gets me about dune is that paul and chani are 17 and 15, respectively, when they have their first baby, leto II the elder who is killed in the sietch raid.

gross
Arrakis is Space Arizona.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Ian McNeice (born 2 October 1950) is an English actor. He found fame portraying government agent Harcourt in the 1985 television series Edge of Darkness, and went on to feature in popular films such as The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls and Frank Herbert's Dune.

lol

ah, the only guy from Rome who never had to worry about being killed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the weird sex thing that always gets me about dune is that paul and chani are 17 and 15, respectively, when they have their first baby, leto II the elder who is killed in the sietch raid. he got her knocked up when she was 14.

lol the 60s

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

ahem, he's space european royalty, it's cultural

narrowly avoided a ten thousand year bene gesserit habsburging

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Arrakis is Space Arizona.

its space saudi arabia, but back in the 70s when we thought of saudi arabia as a bunch of brokeass tribesmen

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

infernal machines posted:

it is however painfully boring and has the production quality of a community theatre show

yeah, it is pretty accurate to the book

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

in the film they barely talk (in fact I don't think they exchange one line of dialogue before hooking up, Chani says some quote from the book and then Paul thinks "I love her")

Also I looked it up and the actress who plays Jessica is 14 years older than the one who plays Paul, better than expected tbh.

It's a bizarre movie which makes no sense despite the vast amount of exposition. Cool set and costume designs though. The heart plugs are really effective bits of body horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I feel like the freemen being white people with dirt on their faces is a little problematic too