Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think Sarah Z did a video that touched on it but it was really obvious if you browsed tumblr at all that every off-tumblr space dedicated to mocking it quickly ran out of any real posts and became about falling for every obvious troll and fake blog so they had a reason to be mad.
the Down With Cis bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think Sarah Z did a video that touched on it but it was really obvious if you browsed tumblr at all that every off-tumblr space dedicated to mocking it quickly ran out of any real posts and became about falling for every obvious troll and fake blog so they had a reason to be mad. Early tumblr was the core of young fandom space and it had all the imported genres of drama livejournal and deviantart had before it, but the sjw thing was just the alt right outrage meme of the time.

yeah the actual drama on tumblr was always insanely baffling like the person who stole human bones or the person who faked aids in order to make them writing a hannibal aids fanfic less weird. the stuff that was just low-level 'woke' drama was fake 90% of the time because the actual tumblr drama was too bizarre for anyone to make up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

yeah the actual drama on tumblr was always insanely baffling like the person who stole human bones or the person who faked aids in order to make them writing a hannibal aids fanfic less weird. the stuff that was just low-level 'woke' drama was fake 90% of the time because the actual tumblr drama was too bizarre for anyone to make up.
even the weird stuff like "homestuck needle cookie" or "i cut my finger off" is hard to verify (in the case of the former) or fake (in the case of the latter)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 22, 2021

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKZ5lg1qK0

don't normally share polygon videos here but this is a short fun one about old French games from Froggysoft, Cobra, early Ubisoft, and others

and yes Coktel Visions shows up. and of course UK gamer mags were like "what is this political shite i just want to shoot things"

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 22, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can only remember the dumb stuff that made me laugh from tumblr at this point. Like the endless preamble to every cooking recipe, tag your gore pomegranates rear end in a top hat, and none pizza left beef.

On the off occasion that any drama actually showed up on my feed and had context it came off as either fake or overexaggerated on how serious it was. It certainly didn't seem worse than twitter at the time or Reddit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
"Listen here cum-slut" will live in my head forever.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm personally fond of "Say hello to mechanically separated chicken".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's called chapo reddit and we already know how that turned out. Bad enough that the podcast itself disowned them and removed from Reddit.

lol that after the sub closed one of their superstars came here and got repeatedly banned for being a psycho

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

Heck, even the bone stealing was initially facebook drama that drifted onto tumblr after people noticed the person who confessed to stealing human bones on a facebook witchcraft group had a tumblr blog. The only truly original drama genre tumblr originated was like…. Idk teenagers trolling John Green into leaving I guess?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'll always laugh at "bloodmouth carnist food"

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Tumblrites have a weird propensity for raw, quotable lines.

"Then become the dirt I walk on" feels like something shouted by Conan the Barbarian as he carves a bloody path through a battlefield, not a snide remark by someone with a Pikachu avatar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rockit posted:

I see. Sorry for misunderstanding.

its cool. i genuinly get it.

Endorph posted:

yeah. thats the poo poo i find funny. weird teens and 20 somethings doing weird poo poo and or attacking something for some esoteric political reason.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Summoning Salt takes a look at the history of Super Mario 64 16 Star speedruns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_wscUcbynk

His approach feels slightly sillier than usual. The Matt Turk fakeout got me good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThingOne posted:

I'll always laugh at "bloodmouth carnist food"

"Your stomach is a graveyard"

The PETA guy getting mad at someone cooking chicken nuggets and getting a response of 'Okay I see your point but like...they're already chicken nuggets. Even if I overcook them we can't turn them back into a chicken now.

Plus, as someone with a terminal case of general apathy, I was in love with the Animaniacs-esq non sequiturs most posts would take.

To cut the derail short before I get probated, I have stupid brain and have forgotten for an entire week to mention that Sex Archie is back https://player.fm/series/sex-archie/episode-87-minimal-bloodshed

Alacron posted:

Tumblrites have a weird propensity for raw, quotable lines.

"Then become the dirt I walk on" feels like something shouted by Conan the Barbarian as he carves a bloody path through a battlefield, not a snide remark by someone with a Pikachu avatar.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 22, 2021

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the best tumblr post is ice hell ftw

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

His approach feels slightly sillier than usual. The Matt Turk fakeout got me good.

he is getting exponentially more jon boisian with every video and i support it

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think Sarah Z did a video that touched on it but it was really obvious if you browsed tumblr at all that every off-tumblr space dedicated to mocking it quickly ran out of any real posts and became about falling for every obvious troll and fake blog so they had a reason to be mad.
And the cycle repeats with the newest big social media platform...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Endorph posted:

bone witch was a trip and a half, up there with Alex Shepherd's Silent Hill 4 circumcision theories for me for amazing internet tales

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

He makes important points about what is missing on some leaderboards though

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

I like his stuff but I'm really starting to wish he branched out to some more different games instead of doing the same series over and over again. Of course it might be that he just doesn't have much interest in covering other stuff and it would just lead to worse videos and burnout but still. Give me some Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil, Dark Souls, etc speedrun histories!

E: Just looked at his videos from the past years and there's a bit more stuff than I thought (only remembered Nintendo games) but on the other hand I'm pretty sure more than half of his videos are Mario or Mario Kart

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 22, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Speaking of insane people and social media being poo poo, Alison Pregler is currently being harassed by LS Mark and his lovely fans because she *complemented* one of his videos, but said she wished it had more female creators in it (the video was about online toxicity and online creators)

https://twitter.com/MarzGurl/status/1429363626465316869

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
there are three kinds of tumblr drama: boring poo poo made up by reddit, photographic evidence of federal or international crime, or someone doubling down on being the most wrong about something you can realistically be.

"Listen here cum-slut, I bet you 5 million dollars that you don’t own a bird. But guess what? I own 7." is the sort of completely misplaced vitriol towards a specific other tumblr user that you're looking for.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

That sentence sure looks like some alien posted it who isn't really sure about how humans interact, but sure is determined to try its best talking to them

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Even if this stuff was real, its hard to believe that people's reactionary politics originate purely from mildly embarrassing online posts when you have to be actively seeking out these right-wing propaganda mills in the first place. Its not something you encounter if your not already seeking it out. If someone makes their political decisions based off of what they saw Fox news or the Sun say about the pinkos, it's pretty easy to grasp what caused them to go to the right.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 22, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've mentioned them before but im a big fan of Worms Holes content. They're a small channel "so far" but they got some real good videos. Also a big sopranos fan, if you're into that kind of content.

Anyways, he just put up a new video on his thoughts on the DCEU that somehow manage to segue into Jodorowskys Dune

https://youtu.be/6wcPDJZP8jA

Check it out, neat stuff

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

The PETA guy getting mad at someone cooking chicken nuggets and getting a response of 'Okay I see your point but like...they're already chicken nuggets. Even if I overcook them we can't turn them back into a chicken now.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Libluini posted:

That sentence sure looks like some alien posted it who isn't really sure about how humans interact, but sure is determined to try its best talking to them

i dunno, it feels decidedly, painfully human to me. in that instantly-recognizable "huge nerd tries to be all righteously angry and going about it by subconsciously aping whatever media they've been consuming" kind of way

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vagabong posted:

Its not something you encounter if your not already seeking it out.

Youtube constantly pushes garbage prager ads and horrible comicsgate neckbeard channel recommendations at me when I'm just watching Linkara and Best Friends mostly, it actively pushes that poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

thetoughestbean posted:

bone witch was a trip and a half, up there with Alex Shepherd's Silent Hill 4 circumcision theories for me for amazing internet tales

That last thing wasn't Tumblr, tho...

But it was a trip and a half. God I wish I saved the page that summarized the whole drooling mess.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKZ5lg1qK0

don't normally share polygon videos here but this is a short fun one about old French games from Froggysoft, Cobra, early Ubisoft, and others

and yes Coktel Visions shows up. and of course UK gamer mags were like "what is this political shite i just want to shoot things"

i love Captain Blood and the sequel Commander Blood and their influence especially in sense of humor is pretty noticeable in the weird indie game circle with games like Space Funeral and Crypt Worlds

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Samovar posted:

That last thing wasn't Tumblr, tho...

But it was a trip and a half. God I wish I saved the page that summarized the whole drooling mess.

It's not really the same as reading it in its entire... glory? but Justin Whang did a video covering it 2 years ago at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7-HrspiKfY

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

Speaking of insane people and social media being poo poo, Alison Pregler is currently being harassed by LS Mark and his lovely fans because she *complemented* one of his videos, but said she wished it had more female creators in it (the video was about online toxicity and online creators)

Who's LS Mark?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I gotta say I hadn’t seen “Listen here cum-slut” before, and now that I have I’m so sad that Tumblr isn’t a thing anymore.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

egg tats posted:

there are three kinds of tumblr drama: boring poo poo made up by reddit, photographic evidence of federal or international crime, or someone doubling down on being the most wrong about something you can realistically be.

"Listen here cum-slut, I bet you 5 million dollars that you don’t own a bird. But guess what? I own 7." is the sort of completely misplaced vitriol towards a specific other tumblr user that you're looking for.
me and my three girlfriends all smoking a weed bunt

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

It's not really the same as reading it in its entire... glory? but Justin Whang did a video covering it 2 years ago at least:

Voidburger? I think I vaguely remember hearing about this insanity but I had no idea she was involved.

And as a lifelong Xenosaga fan, this is really weird to learn about.

Thanks for posting this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 22, 2021

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Who's LS Mark?
Another mostly animated media-focused channel. I only remember him because I saw a video of his from like two years ago saying that the Game Grumps would hemorrhage subscriptions from 2019-2020, a prediction so wrong he took quietly took the video down.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

He also isn't harassing Alison in any way and told his fans to leave her alone

Dovi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 22, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Dovi posted:

He also isn't harassing Alison in any way

Yeah, in this case I think the problem is YouTube as a platform turning any interaction into an endless stream of abuse.

Not that him dismissing valid criticism is a good look.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my mistake, I forgot that was back when vegans were an avenue of comedy as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lotus Aura posted:

This was a wild video. I'd never looked too deep into the whole thing, but there's a level of telling on yourself that makes me want to reach through time and yell "OH GOD STOP"

Like, apparently the guy went on to go on similar tirades in other game's wikis about bestiality and MAPs :gonk: