Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the only thing that seems very odd about humankind to me so far is the resources on the map. i just had a game where i managed to get the mycenaeans... only for my initial seven or so territories to have no resources but a single set of horses. no luxuries, no strategics, no unknown future resources, no anything. i like that the resources can be scarce, as it forces you to deal with, say, the independents who hold the iron you need. but sometimes i think it just doesn't generate them because I've run into a fair few games where there's just none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The 3MA assessment of the game was 'you need to set the difficulty level 3 steps higher than the game tells you to'

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I really like the bones of the game, but I think I might wait til they patch some stuff like the magenta influence bug and give at least an option for more plentiful strategic resources before I fire up another campaign

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I really like the bones of the game, but I think I might wait til they patch some stuff like the magenta influence bug and give at least an option for more plentiful strategic resources before I fire up another campaign

One horse should be enough for everyone :v:

Just realized you can ransack enemy outposts with Nomadic tribes, and plop down your own outpost. Then you can send in more horses from the back lines. Of course you could spawn more horses but they are goddamn expensive horses regarding upkeep.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Horizon Burning posted:

the only thing that seems very odd about humankind to me so far is the resources on the map. i just had a game where i managed to get the mycenaeans... only for my initial seven or so territories to have no resources but a single set of horses. no luxuries, no strategics, no unknown future resources, no anything. i like that the resources can be scarce, as it forces you to deal with, say, the independents who hold the iron you need. but sometimes i think it just doesn't generate them because I've run into a fair few games where there's just none.

It's super common for one or two AI's to hold over 60% of the luxuries on the map. And there just isn't ever enough strategic resources.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also you can upgrade Huns to Mongols for influence by plopping down outpost with the Huns.. out of the tents comes a fresh set of Mongol horsemen :v: At the same turn even.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Huns are annoying to play against, but at the same time if you can keep the enemy under the war fervor limit for one era they end up severely hampered in the long run because, from what I saw when I selected the Huns to play as, you cannot build cities or attach territories on the Hun outposts, meaning you have very little growth from a empire perspective without conquering.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Basic Anno 1800 doesn't cost so much. It has numerous expansions that you might get later, it's not like all of those games where not having expansions is like not having patches.

After playing Humankind a little I've started the search for a land-based 4X that is not civ and ended up playing Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes. It is still being patched and it's fun. Too bad release circumstances had hidden it from public view. So if you're wondering what to play till magenta stops influencing all those neutral cities - try this. You can get it for cheap probably. Has cities where you can zoom in and watch people too.

Don't go for Fallen Enchantress. Stardock is a pack of shithead IP thieves, and their CEO is the king shithead.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Never ever been able to get into Stardock's Elemental games, pretty badly designed imo. Brad's even admitted that the game barely works lol. May as well just play Endless Legend for a similar vibe.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Huns are annoying to play against, but at the same time if you can keep the enemy under the war fervor limit for one era they end up severely hampered in the long run because, from what I saw when I selected the Huns to play as, you cannot build cities or attach territories on the Hun outposts, meaning you have very little growth from a empire perspective without conquering.

I don't want to pick Huns or Mongols unless I need to. It's the AI's choice.. if they want war, I don't want to lose.. I want to win as much as possible. First Magenta wardecced me in beginning, I took Huns. Well then Dark Gray wardecced me too.. and I just had to keep going.

I couldn't stop the war machine anymore.

I had to concentrate my whole empire to run the war machine to survive. So why not go and conquer, then when you are ready to move on you have some sweet units, lots of outposts to merge to cities and improve. Like this:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Kchama posted:

Don't go for Fallen Enchantress. Stardock is a pack of shithead IP thieves, and their CEO is the king shithead.

Noted.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ihmemies posted:

Pangaea feels a lot better. Altough my builder/farmer strat never works, the AI just wants to stomp on me so I always have to go Huns/Mongols because it is the cheapest/easiest way to deal with overaggressive AI. Just let me build and turtle in peace goddamnit! Also these huge plains are sweet in pangaea.

I play on peaceful AI when I just want to build. Although it's sort of funny how eventually everyone hates you but just can't declare war no matter how much they want to.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This seems to be my most common pattern when winning a game (this one on Empire, "research all technologies" victory). I had 11k fame, but a full half of it came from the contemporary era. The next runner up had 8k, but gained it all in or before the medieval era. I really don't know where the hell these guys are getting their Fame from, but it really does make a game where you are coming from last place every time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I find the AI loves to ascend their culture for whatever reason. It's really strange, they are behind but don't try and swap to get any new advantage.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I haven't seen an Amplitude dev says this themselves but random redditor says this is why resources are messed up:

quote:

The lack of resources is actually a game breaking bug Amplitude has confirmed. Upon world generation, their resource interger generator is missing its minimum function, meaning its possible for some maps to legit only have 1 of each resource. Its total luck whether your map has enough to even play the late game or not.

No idea how the dev's playtesting the game never noticed that something was wrong before release.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

an amplitude game rushed to release because it was 3 months behind schedule :eyepop:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Lol Amplitude bugs. I still can't seem to install the Endless Space 2 free updates for some reason because of the dumb way you need to go through steam for it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I've been enjoying the game a lot but I think I'm gonna hold off on continuing to play until most of these bugs are fixed

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I guess there's a realism to the game ending out of nowhere due to the leading AI polluting the poo poo out of the planet and there being no way whatsoever to address that, but lol is that unsatisfying. Can't even continue playing on a pollution ending.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My current game of all 10 civs has me as the Harappans finishing the era first and I can't decide on who to pick next. Celts to continue the food growth? Mayans to turn this early pop growth into industry? Or Persians to take advantage of the city cap to further expand? I have no strat resources at all anywhere near me, so I'm thinking of playing this game peacefully, and am trying not to science rush (did Zhou start last game).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fhqwhgads posted:

My current game of all 10 civs has me as the Harappans finishing the era first and I can't decide on who to pick next. Celts to continue the food growth? Mayans to turn this early pop growth into industry? Or Persians to take advantage of the city cap to further expand? I have no strat resources at all anywhere near me, so I'm thinking of playing this game peacefully, and am trying not to science rush (did Zhou start last game).

Celts and Khmer are so busted I can't justify not picking them.

Grand Fromage posted:

I guess there's a realism to the game ending out of nowhere due to the leading AI polluting the poo poo out of the planet and there being no way whatsoever to address that, but lol is that unsatisfying. Can't even continue playing on a pollution ending.

Yeah the anti-pollution options feel really lacking, come insanely late, and are really hard to even find in the tech tree.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Anyone else see the bug where when you load up the game again, it's showing a previous version of your avatar and then it appears in yesterday's saved game as well? I swear my game has also changed the avatars I picked for my opponents, I think also after loading a save the next day. Aanother thing that makes it really difficult to remember who you hate and why!

I also really prefer the way war and expansion is handled in this as opposed to Civ. I feel like camping on your opponent's reinforcement tile is pretty cheap but I guess I'm cheap. My opponent got me back for that by initiating battles and then hiding back in a mountainous river delta zone and tying up 3 of my armies for several turns at a time while I tried to find him. I had to move armies away from the city because they kept getting sucked in as reinforcements and I couldn't move them to the other city where an attack was happening.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

Persians are fun because you can trespass at will so you can spy everyone else's territory. They're pretty good IMO if you want a big empire.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Thom12255 posted:

I haven't seen an Amplitude dev says this themselves but random redditor says this is why resources are messed up:

lol

I guess I should count myself lucky that as many as one copy of Humankind spawned on my computer.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Grand Fromage posted:

perfect opportunity for a mad max or fallout dlc though

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

greazeball posted:

I feel like camping on your opponent's reinforcement tile is pretty cheap but I guess I'm cheap. My opponent got me back for that by initiating battles and then hiding back in a mountainous river delta zone and tying up 3 of my armies for several turns at a time while I tried to find him. I had to move armies away from the city because they kept getting sucked in as reinforcements and I couldn't move them to the other city where an attack was happening.

I have a suspicion abusing aspects of this will be one way to cheese the AI on humankind

Not sure I care though, battles are still cooler

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

boo boo bear posted:

perfect opportunity for a mad max or fallout dlc though

I never even got to build a nuke let alone launch one. :smith:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i really, really hate the custom avatar poo poo and would happily mod it all away. Otherwise the game's p interesting take on civilization

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Era speed does seem to do nothing. I just played a game on the slowest setting and still won on turn 290 with a Mars landing, and two of the ai were also in the contemporary era with me.

Also I think I'm now happy to put this down for a bit until they fix all the bugs which doesn't seem great for a game that came out less than a week ago.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Era speed does seem to do nothing. I just played a game on the slowest setting and still won on turn 290 with a Mars landing, and two of the ai were also in the contemporary era with me.

Can you post a couple screens of your city outputs? I played a slowest setting game and this seems insane to me, by turn 300 I think the leading player had just gotten to the medieval era.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eimi posted:

Yeah the anti-pollution options feel really lacking, come insanely late, and are really hard to even find in the tech tree.

:hmmyes:

If someone won't stop polluting, you can plant a shitload of forests, or kill them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chamale posted:

:Hmm:

If someone won't stop polluting, you can plant a shitload of forests, invade them, or nuke them. That's how it works in real life too.

turns out it's not very fun in real life or a game!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Wish it worked like Civ where extreme pollution turns the map into a flooded, storm-wracked nightmare that you can still play on

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
PSA: The Hanging Gardens don’t make it clear that they count as a Luxury Manufactory, not an Extractor. That’s the district that lets you get “Wondrous Effects” if you have a monopoly on a Luxury.

So if you have all of one luxury it can be the second-most impactful Ancient wonder. The Pyramids are kinda nuts.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

victrix posted:

turns out it's not very fun in real life or a game!

I disagree. I like that the game does this, although I think the pollution levels should have more obvious effects than stability (I usually have 500% stability everywhere by the end game). I've won games without building much polluting infrastructure to avoid that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
that's kind of the problem. the human player is smart enough to minimize their pollution output until they have techs to mitigate it completely, but the only way to stop the AI from doing it is to kill it

... :tinfoil:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder if I can share my avatar online so I can plague other people's games.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vengarr posted:

PSA: The Hanging Gardens don’t make it clear that they count as a Luxury Manufactory, not an Extractor. That’s the district that lets you get “Wondrous Effects” if you have a monopoly on a Luxury.

So if you have all of one luxury it can be the second-most impactful Ancient wonder. The Pyramids are kinda nuts.

that is a huge distinction that wasnt at all clear by reading the description.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Do the Wonders unique effects only effect the city they're built in, unless otherwise specified? Like Angkor Wat's +1 Food per Faith effect, only for the city region it's built in, or is that on all cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Grand Fromage posted:

Can you post a couple screens of your city outputs? I played a slowest setting game and this seems insane to me, by turn 300 I think the leading player had just gotten to the medieval era.

Sure thing, looking at the turns I think I must have actually selected the second slowest setting but it's still pretty ridiculous. Also the year clock got stuck in stone age for some reason. I've only done my biggest 4 cities as the others were basically just colonies which just had 20-40 pops. I was suffering from overpopulation pretty much across the board as I was focusing on building launch sites and was running out space for districts anyway.