Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reL
May 20, 2007

I won’t lie I drove myself crazy trying to flash it from via firmware to qmk and then eventually relented. I still kinda wanna flash it with qmk and muck about with tapdancing and stuff though…

Is there something I’m missing? Qmk just doesn’t recognize my dz60rgb v2 regardless of what I try. It’s either recognized as nothing, or a usb flash drive. I’ve used qmk before and haven’t had any issues flashing my drop alt with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

reL posted:

I won’t lie I drove myself crazy trying to flash it from via firmware to qmk and then eventually relented. I still kinda wanna flash it with qmk and muck about with tapdancing and stuff though…

Is there something I’m missing? Qmk just doesn’t recognize my dz60rgb v2 regardless of what I try. It’s either recognized as nothing, or a usb flash drive. I’ve used qmk before and haven’t had any issues flashing my drop alt with it.

With my tada68 when you press the button and plug it in, it shows up as a flash drive and you just drop firmware.bin on to it (renamed from whatever.hex(?) that qmk spits out)

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

reL posted:

mewse posted:

With my tada68 when you press the button and plug it in, it shows up as a flash drive and you just drop firmware.bin on to it (renamed from whatever.hex(?) that qmk spits out)

This is it, I just built a DZ60RGB for a friend and instead of using the QMK Toolbox, you hold Escape while plugging in the USB cable, and a drive should mount with EEPROM.bin and FIRMWARE.bin. Delete FIRMWARE.bin, drag your new firmware bin file into the drive, and eject the device properly. You might need to unplug/plug it back in but the firmware should be updated after that.

edit: also make sure that you compiled the correct version for your board, the latest revisions (2.1 I think) use .bin files, not .hex. and renaming a .hex file to .bin isn't gonna work

Potassium Problems fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 17, 2021

reL
May 20, 2007
drat so it really is that simple, swapping in qmk firmware for the via firmware. Welp, thanks for that info. I considered doing that but panicked a bit. Don’t know why I couldn’t find that answer, even searching the kbdfans discord. Guessing it’s some sort of keyboard common knowledge I wasn’t privy to.

Thanks!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 hours!)

do products exist to attach a keyboard to a strap like a guitar? so you can stand up and move around the room with the keyboard at waist level and type that way?

i might realise it's a crap idea straight away but i want to try it. was looking around and just kept getting laptop stands or musical instrument attachments. maybe i will try some diy version.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

roomtone posted:

do products exist to attach a keyboard to a strap like a guitar? so you can stand up and move around the room with the keyboard at waist level and type that way?

i might realise it's a crap idea straight away but i want to try it. was looking around and just kept getting laptop stands or musical instrument attachments. maybe i will try some diy version.

i am pretty sure someone in the yospos keyboard thread either has or at least posted a setup like that, with the keyboard flat against the thigh in a standing position. i think you might need to diy it. you could probably bash together something workable with an instrument strap and a karabiner or eye bolts or something

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

reL posted:

drat so it really is that simple, swapping in qmk firmware for the via firmware. Welp, thanks for that info. I considered doing that but panicked a bit. Don’t know why I couldn’t find that answer, even searching the kbdfans discord. Guessing it’s some sort of keyboard common knowledge I wasn’t privy to.

Thanks!

kbdfans product detail pages are a mess, the link for flashing instructions (here) for the dz60rgb are easy to miss, they're found in between giant photos and video embeds

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

My fiancee's board is looking so much better than mine right now, I have extreme envy!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that does look good. what are those keycaps?

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that does look good. what are those keycaps?

SA Chalk.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Shot in the dark, but does anyone know if the front row height is the same on the Royal Kludge RK71 and RK68? Front row height is a surprisingly hard stat to find, and i've found that I don't like how high some keyboards are (Keychron K2!).

RK71: https://www.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-KLUDGE-Mechanical-Switch-White/dp/B07YDJF628/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rk71%5D&qid=1629237604&sr=8-3&th=1
RK68: https://www.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-KLU...604&sr=8-6&th=1

Edit, or this 'Nimbleback' keyboard which folks say is pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/LTC-Nimbleback-Ultra-Compact-Hot-Swappable-Stand-Alone/dp/B08X6HDTNP

frogbs fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 18, 2021

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
After going around the Cherry and Razer switch circuit for the last couple years, I just got in a Durgod Taurus TKL with Silent Reds like my first mech did (a Corsair Strafe Silent that I ended up selling at some point last year), and maaaaan I think these switches are just the most comfy I've used. They don't activate instantly and suck to type on, they're not chunky and/or loud so it's nice for games. The board itself is also super quiet and with a baby on the way I'm glad for that.

This is my second Durgod, I did get a different color scheme this time though :shobon:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
What are good readily available Cherry-profile PBT caps? I need an 87-key set after losing some during a move. I don't need (or want to wait around for) any fancy colorway. How are the GMMK (GPBT) ones?

mewse
May 2, 2006

emdash posted:

What are good readily available Cherry-profile PBT caps? I need an 87-key set after losing some during a move. I don't need (or want to wait around for) any fancy colorway. How are the GMMK (GPBT) ones?

I like these and they're affordable. Those GMMK ones are probably fine

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32996186932.html

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
HK Gaming makes some good sets. Note the owner is reportedly a huge piece of poo poo and the community does not like giving them money but from a quality perspective it’s tough to beat at that price.

Akko also makes pretty solid sets. Most are clones of popular GMK kits. I have Macaws on my GMMK Pro and pretty happy with them.

You can also just go on AliExpress and type in PBT Keycaps and get endless in-stock results.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

emdash posted:

enjoyPBT or ePBT keycaps are good quality and some of their variations are almost always available on AliExpress and the main chinese vendors.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Thanks to everyone who replied. Going to try akko this time.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

AKKO makes good stuff. Cannonkeys now sells some pretty good and affordable kits, too: https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps

And, as always, please don't buy HK anything.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Not sure if it's Cherry profile but I like the Drop Skylight series. The Artifact Bloom series is cherry-profile and good too. Both can be had for $40-50 + shipping.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have a GMMK Pro and I like it.

Was fiddling with the Glorious Core software today and I can't figure out what the "Sync across keyboard" toggle does. Anyone know?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I probably need to get an ergo keyboard soon - anything outstanding that I should look at that isn't a groupbuy? I'm okay with soldering it together if I gotta, but hotswap would be nice. I have a HotDox and am thinking about just getting an Ergodox EZ but buying keycaps for that layout is a massive pain in the rear end.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have a GMMK Pro and I like it.

Was fiddling with the Glorious Core software today and I can't figure out what the "Sync across keyboard" toggle does. Anyone know?

Not too sure about Glorious but for other brands this typically means the lighting is synced across other RGB peripherals like mice and mousepads (lol)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Was able to pick up a Durgod Taurus K310 for $40 new on FB marketplace because the kid selling it didn’t like how it wouldn’t light up. Silent reds are great and it’s going to be my at-work board since it’ll be quiet and has that full size battleship keypad.

Going to move my GK96 to my mobile office setting when I’m out at sites and away from the office.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gearman posted:

AKKO makes good stuff. Cannonkeys now sells some pretty good and affordable kits, too: https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps

And, as always, please don't buy HK anything.

Seconding Cannonkeys. They have a bunch of good stuff in stock.
https://cannonkeys.com/products/nicepbt-bow
https://cannonkeys.com/products/nicepbt-elderberry
https://cannonkeys.com/products/cannoncaps-winter-tundra

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What started as me being itchy to change keycaps on my Leopold FC660M has suddenly become "Maybe I should just get a second keyboard with different switches and keycaps."

I am currently trying to figure out how deep should I go into the rabbit hole, and I think I have three main options:

Buy a Keychron K6 and change the switches and keycaps
+ Relatively straightforward based on the videos I've seen
+ Build quality is pretty good
+ Hotswap!
- No Delete key. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy I am a writer I write fast partly because I have a delete key. Not sure if there's any workaround for this besides set up some sort of autohotkey and replace Home or something.
- Doesn't have great stock stabilisers apparently, so might have to mess with that.

Buy a Royal Kludge RK68 and change the switches and keycaps
+ Also straightforward
+ Also hotswap
+ Has a Delete key!
- It's cheaper than the Keychron, and based on what I've seen probably has worse build quality
- Probably same issues with stabilisers

Build my own keyboard and put it together
+ I can find a few board options that are hotswap and 65%
- Costs waaaaay more
- Still researching but I feel I will spend at least twice the amount of Keychron + keycaps + switches, easily
- At some point, I have to put it together myself. It looks easy enough but I feel like none of the videos show how to hook the electronics up? Or maybe there is nothing to hook up except plug into USB?

Any advise input into this will help. I'm based in Malaysia which apparently has a thriving mech keyboard scene but everything but our custom makers command a very high price (but they seem to do good work that warrants the price). I asked in the local communities, and they were like "Yeah there's the Typ-65 coming out so you can get in on that group buy if you want." Estimated price is RM1650, possibly higher. I could buy 4 Keychron K6s with that money.

Also, any recommendations on a typing switch? I'm rocking Cherry MX blues atm.

What started as me being itchy to change keycaps on my Leopold FC660M has suddenly become "Maybe I should just get a second keyboard with different switches and keycaps."

I am currently trying to figure out how deep should I go into the rabbit hole, and I think I have three main options:

Buy a Keychron K6 and change the switches and keycaps
+ Relatively straightforward based on the videos I've seen
+ Build quality is pretty good
+ Hotswap!
- No Delete key. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy I am a writer I write fast partly because I have a delete key. Not sure if there's any workaround for this besides set up some sort of autohotkey and replace Home or something.
- Doesn't have great stock stabilisers apparently, so might have to mess with that.

Buy a Royal Kludge RK68 and change the switches and keycaps
+ Also straightforward
+ Also hotswap
+ Has a Delete key!
- It's cheaper than the Keychron, and based on what I've seen probably has worse build quality
- Probably same issues with stabilisers

Build my own keyboard and put it together
+ I can find a few board options that are hotswap and 65%
- Costs waaaaay more
- Still researching but I feel I will spend at least twice the amount of Keychron + keycaps + switches, easily
- At some point, I have to put it together myself. It looks easy enough but I feel like none of the videos show how to hook the electronics up? Or maybe there is nothing to hook up except plug into USB?

Any advise input into this will help. I'm based in Malaysia which apparently has a thriving mech keyboard scene but everything but our custom makers command a very high price (but they seem to do good work that warrants the price). I asked in the local communities, and they were like "Yeah there's the Typ-65 coming out so you can get in on that group buy if you want." Estimated price is RM1650, possibly higher. I could buy 4 Keychron K6s with that money.

Also, any recommendations on a typing switch? I'm rocking Cherry MX browns atm.

PS - Here's a photo of the Typ-65, it's pretty.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 21, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
For a hotswap custom KB, all you will have to do is plug in the USB cable.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
The K6 is honestly great value. In addition to being hotswap* they're also bluetooth and incredibly easy to disassemble and modify. You can completely pull them apart to mod the stabilisers and add case foam. You won't be able to re-map any of the keys, but there is a built-in Del key under Fn1 + [{. You can probably look at a hi-res pic to see what all the function keys are, they're written on the keycaps. I think the best option would be get one of these just to get a feel for taking apart a keyboard, plus try whichever switches you have your eye on. You can substantially improve the out-of-the-box feel of a K6 for very cheap by adding case foam and modding the stabilizers a bit. If you want to go further after that then I would say start looking for a custom build kit. I would definitely say to build a board yourself rather than pay someone to do it, but it depends a lot on your own time/money priorities. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials for how to do everything, and you can always post here for advice. You will spend a lot more on the custom kit though, since kits usually do not include switches, keycaps or stabilisers, which can easily be as much as the barebones kit itself.

*there are hotswap and non-hotswap versions of the K6 available, in both optical and normal switches so make sure you're getting the right version

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, assembling a custom keyboard isn't fundamentally different from building a computer. It's designed to fit together.

I'd try to sample some switches before buying a full board's worth of them as well. At least one from each class of switch if you haven't tried them, a high tactility switch like a Boba U4T, the Box White/Jade for clicky and some linears

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for all the input, I really apreciate it! One more question because I can't really tell: how difficult/necessary is it to flash drivers/firmware onto a custom keyboard? Again, watching videos people are just like "bam keycaps on your keyboard is done!" but don't necessarily show the driver installation process or anything like that.

Also if anyone has recommendations for 65% kits that would be great because there are so many that I can get in this country and I'm just dying trying to parse which one should I get.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Artelier posted:

Thanks for all the input, I really apreciate it! One more question because I can't really tell: how difficult/necessary is it to flash drivers/firmware onto a custom keyboard? Again, watching videos people are just like "bam keycaps on your keyboard is done!" but don't necessarily show the driver installation process or anything like that.

Also if anyone has recommendations for 65% kits that would be great because there are so many that I can get in this country and I'm just dying trying to parse which one should I get.

Flashing firmware has always been easy using whatever tool the manufacturer provided.

The Drop Alt is a great 65% board and Drop provides a tool for flashing their provided firmware. You can also custom build one using QMK for special keymaps and lighting.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Do not buy the Drop Alt, it is a piece of overpriced garbage that only accepts 3 pin switches. If you want a hotswap board to try switches in, you want one that supports 5 pin switches unless you're willing to clip the legs from nearly every enthusiast switch you buy.

It's 2021, there is no reason to buy a Drop keyboard.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For boards that I'd recommend these days:

- KBD67. Probably the best value 65% board on the market.

- NK65. Also a great value, highly recommended.

- Tofu 65. Also very good, and one of the most popular style of boards.

Any of these are great value boards that I'd highly recommend.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

How about 75%s? I'm still eyeing up the Keychron Q1 but if it ends up being junk I'm not adverse to getting a soldered kit instead

The Tofu84 sticks out as a babbies first custom 75%, but it's tray mount and people seem to be souring on that style

I just want to build a quiet board with Boba U4s, so it doesn't matter if a board has the wrong kind of clack or whatever keyboard nerds obsess over

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

interrodactyl posted:

Do not buy the Drop Alt, it is a piece of overpriced garbage that only accepts 3 pin switches. If you want a hotswap board to try switches in, you want one that supports 5 pin switches unless you're willing to clip the legs from nearly every enthusiast switch you buy.

It's 2021, there is no reason to buy a Drop keyboard.

Its a decent first board. But I do agree regarding the pins. It also has north facing switches. Despite that it's easy to do some basic mods on to get it to be a really good board.

I am curious about the Q1 as well. I think I want my next board to be a obnoxious clicker as well. I don't have any clicky switches yet. I am not fond of linear switches either.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

How about 75%s? I'm still eyeing up the Keychron Q1 but if it ends up being junk I'm not adverse to getting a soldered kit instead

The Tofu84 sticks out as a babbies first custom 75%, but it's tray mount and people seem to be souring on that style

I just want to build a quiet board with Boba U4s, so it doesn't matter if a board has the wrong kind of clack or whatever keyboard nerds obsess over

If you want something now and are willing to deal with Glorious QC, the GMMK Pro would be my default recommendation (I have a longer post about that in this thread), but the Q1 seems like it will be solid as well, and slightly cheaper.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah the GMMK Pro is the other obvious one, but it just seems like no end of issues with bad QC and shoddy software/firmware

The Q1 being designed with QMK/VIA first rather than an afterthought should hopefully mean things go more smoothly

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's especially off-putting is that Glorious say they're switching to a different MCU around about now, which will break the existing QMK support, and given their half assed support for QMK so far (AFAICT they never got around to adding RGB or ISO or VIA support, and the community had to reverse engineer them) I don't have much confidence in the updated board being supported any time soon, or ever.

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 22, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
IDBao makes both 65% and 75% that may fit what you’re looking for. Kbdfans Bella is pricey but hot swappable

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone recognize these keycaps?

I have a TM680 kit on the way, and saw these keycaps in one of the reviews, but they didn't mention what the keycaps were. I've tried googling for 'mac pbt keycaps' but didn't come up with anything that was close.

I'd also be fine with some nice white-on-black keycaps, and am looking at the Artifact Blooms, or Mistel doublshots:
https://drop.com/buy/artifact-bloom-series-keycap-set-black-on-white
https://www.amazon.com/Mistel-Doubleshot-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/dp/B08FX9HBMB?th=1#customerReviews

There's also the GMK Hennessey set, that thats $$$: https://drop.com/buy/drop-mito-gmk-hennessey-custom-keycap-set

Anyway, up for any suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
https://kbdfans.com/products/ic-kbdfans-x-biip-extended-2048-keycaps-set

Not exactly the same but very close.

e: forgot to mention this is topre, the closest you'll get is the drop mt3 extended 2048 https://drop.com/buy/drop-biip-mt3-extended-custom-keycap-set

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 22, 2021