Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Downloaded vance on my phone thanks to this thread. Seems pretty good but is there a better way to open YouTube links from the awful app than copypasting the link into vanced? Kind of inelegant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

a decade or two ago you would have found some blog posts and forum posts instead

gently caress videos for the kind of info that would be a thousand times quicker and easier to just read

What drives me up the wall is the official documentation for Autodesk Fusion 360 is all in video format too. It is at least official videos that get to the point without telling me to Like Comment and Subscribe 50 times but it's still much slower and harder to follow than a few lines of text and a couple of screenshots.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
idk I'm a pretty smart guy despite my posting here, but I'm a totally visual learner and I will struggle to retain something unless it's at least diagrammed for me (or I make my own lil diagram to self-explain). I imagine if I was severely dyslexic or poorly literate in the instructional language then I would prefer a video. Ideally, you'd have both of course

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Both video and text/screenshots are nice to have sometines but nothing boils my piss like a 6 minute youtube video where the contents could have just been a screenshot with a red circle showing you what box to tick to make Sony Vegas output video without changing the aspect ratio or w/e.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I refuse to learn anything unless it's from CGI meeples shouting at one another in robot voices completely absent of any meter or inflection.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It is nice that videos tend to contain additional incidental information when the camera pans or zooms, like what the hell that resistor was before it turned into smoke and sadness, even when the video author is actually focusing on something else entirely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

Downloaded vance on my phone thanks to this thread. Seems pretty good but is there a better way to open YouTube links from the awful app than copypasting the link into vanced? Kind of inelegant.

Go to Settings -> Apps, select the stock youtube app and find the section for types of links it's allowed to open. Delete them all. Then the next time you open a youtube link it'll offer you a choice, select Vanced and hit Always.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Hey whatsup it's your boy Andrew Adonis here with a video about Labour membership. I've noticed nobody has uploaded a video on this topic before so I thought I'd go ahead and make a video. So, if there's anyone out there who's interested in joining the labour party, this video is for you. If you've joined the labour party before, or are just interested in the process, come along for the ride. Now, without further ado, this is how you join. You go onto the website, which is down in the description below, along with my patreon and a link to some really informative articles I wrote (that are definitely worth reading). You should check those out after the video, and we've also got some great merch like this top I'm wearing now. These are only in limited supply so get in quick and, who knows, maybe I'll auction off the one I'm wearing today especially. Now, where were we? So if you're thinking about joining the Labour party, you might want to know a bit about Labour's history, and there's all kinds of great documentaries on loads of topics including the history of Britains unionist and Labour movement on institute.global. I started watching this documentary called Blair and it had me hooked for the whole 78 minutes. Subscription is only £4.99 a month, which is less than most streaming platforms, and you get a whole host of great and informative documentaries on loads of different topics as well as articles and talks from some of the greatest speakers of our time, which brings us back to the Labour party. If you click on the join link in the middle of the webpage that should bring up an application form...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Is it bad that I cannot tell if Azza's post is a spoof or not?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Is it bad that I cannot tell if Azza's post is a spoof or not?

It is bag because the lack of mention of HS2 should have been a dead giveaway it wasn't from Lord Standonis

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I'm kinda worried i have caught Covid atm. I have this incredibly annoying cough, I can't get to sleep with it. No other symptoms though, can smell and taste normally. I've been incredibly careful, like the only time I've left the house this month has been to go grocery shopping once a week and a couple of times to take my cat to the vet. I'm also double vaccinated with pfizer :/

anyone else had it with just a cough?

also slight temperature when i'm sleeping i think - i'm sweating a lot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

I'm kinda worried i have caught Covid atm. I have this incredibly annoying cough, I can't get to sleep with it. No other symptoms though, can smell and taste normally. I've been incredibly careful, like the only time I've left the house this month has been to go grocery shopping once a week and a couple of times to take my cat to the vet. I'm also double vaccinated with pfizer :/

Definitely plausible, but also definitely could be something else. Get a free test and see!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there's a mild headache but i think that's from sleep deprivation

seriously like every time i'm about to fall asleep i start involuntarily gurgling kind of thing then waking back up to cough

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

crispix posted:

Yeah, easily could be the covid tbh, though it'd be really unlucky. See if someone can get you some pholcodine linctus. Or codeine linctus if you get lucky and find a pharmacy that isn't being too strict. An annoying tickly cough that doesn't produce phlegm is best treated by just trying to make it stop so your throat can recover. I also have luck with bronchostop pastilles but since I can't justify them scientifically I get cross that they work. :)

e: if you live in St Albans I will get you some codeine linctus in but otherwise all I can offer is to phone your local pharmacy and promise them you're not a junkie. Unless you are one in which case no judgment here.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TwoShanks posted:

For YouTube and YouTube Music on phones and tablets you can go to https://vanced.app and get their modified app that strips all adverts including sponsored bits and annoying reminders to like and subscribe, and gives most of the premium features like background play for music. It is free, and good.
um I dunno what’s going on but that link takes me to some news report :confused:

quote:

SPECIAL REPORT: Ant McPartlin ’s Latest Investment Has Experts in Awe And Big Banks Terrified

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Liquid Codeine drops for a cough is loving magical. Like. Bam. No cough. Then you get the nice floaty opiate feeling and you're asleep before you know it. Can recommend.

Feel better crispix!!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Hey whatsup it's your boy Andrew Adonis here with a video about Labour membership. I've noticed nobody has uploaded a video on this topic before so I thought I'd go ahead and make a video. So, if there's anyone out there who's interested in joining the labour party, this video is for you. If you've joined the labour party before, or are just interested in the process, come along for the ride. Now, without further ado, this is how you join. You go onto the website, which is down in the description below, along with my patreon and a link to some really informative articles I wrote (that are definitely worth reading). You should check those out after the video, and we've also got some great merch like this top I'm wearing now. These are only in limited supply so get in quick and, who knows, maybe I'll auction off the one I'm wearing today especially. Now, where were we? So if you're thinking about joining the Labour party, you might want to know a bit about Labour's history, and there's all kinds of great documentaries on loads of topics including the history of Britains unionist and Labour movement on institute.global. I started watching this documentary called Blair and it had me hooked for the whole 78 minutes. Subscription is only £4.99 a month, which is less than most streaming platforms, and you get a whole host of great and informative documentaries on loads of different topics as well as articles and talks from some of the greatest speakers of our time, which brings us back to the Labour party. If you click on the join link in the middle of the webpage that should bring up an application form...

Absolutely outstanding.

jaete posted:

a decade or two ago you would have found some blog posts and forum posts instead

gently caress videos for the kind of info that would be a thousand times quicker and easier to just read

You're right about that too and you have to scroll quite far to find forum posts these days, but also I would actually like to see things being done. I don't want to read about how you plaster a wall, I want to see someone do it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

TACD posted:

um I dunno what’s going on but that link takes me to some news report :confused:

You want https://vancedapp.com/

Grab the vanced manager. It's ace.

Also a big fan of adguard too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

TACD posted:

Same, looks like it's been hijacked it's the wrong link lol.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, easily could be the covid tbh, though it'd be really unlucky. See if someone can get you some pholcodine linctus. Or codeine linctus if you get lucky and find a pharmacy that isn't being too strict. An annoying tickly cough that doesn't produce phlegm is best treated by just trying to make it stop so your throat can recover. I also have luck with bronchostop pastilles but since I can't justify them scientifically I get cross that they work. :)

e: if you live in St Albans I will get you some codeine linctus in but otherwise all I can offer is to phone your local pharmacy and promise them you're not a junkie. Unless you are one in which case no judgment here.

that's nice, thanks. i'm in county down though. i have a "simple linctus" and it helps a bit

it would be incredibly unlucky if it's covid and it shows how transmissible these things are because i've seldom been out and when i have been i've still been masked and sanitising my hands all the time lol :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

Sounds like you stumbled on the one weird tip discovered by a $TACD.homecounty mum to make investments that BIG BANKS don't want you to know!!

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Man I did 3 hours of gardening today and I'm loving knackered. Looks like we'll get another batch of few hundred strawberries if the mild weather holds up though.

Up in Sheffield its been super windy, cloudy and dry as gently caress for like 3 weeks now. It drizzles occasionally overnight but I barely get more than 10l of water out of the water butt.

This is basically what summer was predicted to become if the gulf stream moved away. 16 to 20c max, overcast, no rain. God we're so hosed in the next 100 years. Can't even grow potatos.

Also got quoted £6750 for my bathroom renovation so time to start saving. Woo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

I'm from Tyrone, and I think science has reached Co. Down in the last few years. Need to confirm it though as not sure.
So goto a doctor asap!
Could be chest infection, could be covid.
Only one way to find out, well two if you count autopsy.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i ordered a covid test

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Pro tip for everyone. Just get a box of covid tests. They're free and then you have them if you're ever unsure.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you mean making them free didn't create an infinite demand for them? :monocle:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kecske posted:

there was a short lived app that scraped recipes out of blog posts for you, bypassing all the embedded adverts and tedious life story paragraphs. but since we can't have nice things all the food bloggers complained about it until it was taken down

I use a chrome extension for this. Works quite well:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/recipe-filter/ahlcdjbkdaegmljnnncfnhiioiadakae?hl=fr&ref=producthunt

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mebh posted:

Pro tip for everyone. Just get a box of covid tests. They're free and then you have them if you're ever unsure.

Our local pharmacy seems desperate to get rid of their stock, I got two packs with my last prescription and I didn't have much choice in the matter

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Skarsnik posted:

Our local pharmacy seems desperate to get rid of their stock, I got two packs with my last prescription and I didn't have much choice in the matter

Yeah we're being measured on how many we give out.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1429439205990621190?s=19

Lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
tried for a wile to set up that youtube premium via India using a VPN and screwing with my Google Pay settings, but apparently I'm too dumb to pull it off so I'll just ignore annoying videos for the rest of my life I guess

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

You want https://vancedapp.com/

Grab the vanced manager. It's ace.

Also a big fan of adguard too.
Ah right cheers; seems like it's Android-only anyway.

Aye AdGuard is great, uses the same blocklist format as uBlock as well.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Have literally spent the last five minutes trying to think of a half decent Bee Gees joke to make here, but I just can't do it.

It's... Tragedy?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Went to the cinema for the first time in a LONNGGG time.

(I checked my finance spreadsheetsTM back to 2018 and can't find any cinema on them. I did go there to see a play a couple of times though. But I digress.)

It's a small independent local cinema and max seating about 300 (or 400 if they ever - rarely - open the balcony).

About 20 people in, we were all well spaced out (seat wise not head wise).

The film was The Courier - excellent.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite
Yeah sorry about the wrong link, it used to be at the address I used but it's changed to vancedapp.com

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

TwoShanks posted:

Yeah sorry about the wrong link, it used to be at the address I used but it's changed to vancedapp.com

I'm actually grateful.. I got a surreal fake BBC news article about Harry Kane being on Graham Norton and revealing his secret of online investing, which culminates with Norton being sat in stunned silence as Harry doubles his £200 in less than five minutes!!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

drat, those apps are great, much appreciated.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Failed Imagineer posted:

tried for a wile to set up that youtube premium via India using a VPN and screwing with my Google Pay settings, but apparently I'm too dumb to pull it off so I'll just ignore annoying videos for the rest of my life I guess

https://amp.reddit.com/r/beermoneyuk/comments/juvpud/youtube_premium_114_a_month/ is is a guide on how to do it. Give that a glance. I'm sure you can manage it!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Went to the cinema for the first time in a LONNGGG time.
I am hoping to get to the cinema for DUNC since Villeneuve seems determined that's the only way people should see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

TwoShanks posted:

For YouTube and YouTube Music on phones and tablets you can go to https://vanced.app and get their modified app that strips all adverts including sponsored bits and annoying reminders to like and subscribe, and gives most of the premium features like background play for music. It is free, and good.

That link is just leading to really sketchy fake BBC/Mirror investment ads for me. Is the link wrong?